• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know we have a thread for sales but real quick.. anyone wanting to sell off Wipeout or Rayman?

Also I wonder if the second hand trophy fix will ever get patched.

Don't you just put the card in then delete the install after it's done its thing then remove the card and replace? Thought that fixed it.

zoukka

So what's the best power solution if I order this thing from UK to Finland? For 3DS I just used the power cord of my DSi XL.

GopherD

Music Unlimited:
This is amazing... I love it. I can look up any album (well, almost) and song when I'm home with access to wifi. Then I can choose to download my favorite playlists, albums, and songs from the service and take them with me, for $10 a month. It's pretty convenient when on the go, when listening to the tunes with the Vita plugged into the car stereo.
Yeah Music Unlimited is brilliant on vita. Slick as hell interface and the addition of the offline mode is damn nice. No brainer for mine at a tenner a month.

Corto

There should be a way to disable the friends notifications while in-game. They are huge and really disturb me while I try to play FIFA as they cover a significant part of the pitch. Someone tweet Yoshida!

Neifirst

So there will never be a way for US owners to get a discount on their UMD games? I was considering the VITA to finally catch up on all the Persona games I missed and of course future titles that look pretty cool. But buying shit from PSN is way expensive (I rarely pay $40 for any game).

Both Persona and Persona 3 have gone on sale for $20 on PSN at least 2-3 times in the past couple of years. I'm sure they'll be on sale again, but you're right, $40 is a bit pricey.

rbanke

Can anyone reccomend a soft case with a zipper similar to the official travel pouch? That case seems fine, but I'd like one that isn't as thick. I don't need to store anything in it other than the Vita as it never leaves the house. I just want a small zippered soft pouch to stick it in so my 2y/o won't destroy it if he happens to grab it off my desk.

I just want a small zippered soft pouch to stick it in so my 2y/o won't destroy it if he happens to grab it off my desk.
first??

if so good luck and congrats.

if not you know this wont even keep it from getting in his hands!!
D%C3%B6ttling-Colosimo-safe4.jpg

Eusis

More like Japan made the mistake and the rest of the world is fine. 8P
Given that they place O there as "confirm" and X there as "cancel", and the earliest NA games that flipped this also paused the game with the Select button and did stupid shit like assign camera switching to Start, I'm more inclined to think SCEA fucked up and now the industry largely can't move away from it.

I usually don't have too much trouble switching between systems though, it's only when I see them keep that set up on Nintendo systems or when they screw up in localization and there's no way for me to fix it that I'm REALLY irritated. That's enough though to make me wish SCE had put the foot down and ensured it was O=confirm and X=cancel all along.

Gen X

Well you know O is the Japanese equivalent of a tick right, just like X is universal for wrong.

Eusis

Well you know O is the Japanese equivalent of a tick right, just like X is universal for wrong.
Both are somewhat universal anyway, even if we don't use O the same way (or as often I guess?) there's still the concept of "circle your choice/the right answer", X closes in most OSes, and I recall you clicked O in Civilization to confirm. The most sensible justification beyond comfort preferences for switching outside of Japan is probably that O is Red, a negative cancel/close color, and the X is blue-ish, a more positive color.

kanugo

After the problem with near, everything is fine.

I know I hundreds of people already talked about the screen, the games and all that. I agree with most of them, and I mostly agree that the PlayStation Vita is something you need to have and hold to see in first person to have the feeling of it.

I don't have a lot of games (Uncharted, MotorStorm and will have a couple more from the PSN in the next days), but what really amazed is the quality of the console. I don't know what Sony will do with it, but I sense they have a great base to start releasing a great line of games.

I also liked the OS on this thing. There are some sections that could be more intuitive, but it's something that feel well integrated.

I already add some of you from the PS Vita Friend List Thread, but I need some people in my friend list. If you want, please add me: cheetosdust.

Grinchy

Banned

Just for fun, I could also point out that X marks the treasure, so it's something we'd actually want to go after. So getting closer to where we want to be would require an X.

Ken

Just for fun, I could also point out that X marks the treasure, so it's something we'd actually want to go after. So getting closer to where we want to be would require an X.

I've never thought of it that way.

I always thought O was "circle the correct answer" and X for "cross out the incorrect one/what you don't want."

xxczx

Given that they place O there as "confirm" and X there as "cancel", and the earliest NA games that flipped this also paused the game with the Select button and did stupid shit like assign camera switching to Start, I'm more inclined to think SCEA fucked up and now the industry largely can't move away from it.
So annoying when games flip the buttons. MGS is one offender.

I had to remember which games used O as confirm and even then I got confused and ended up pressing X when I should be pressing O.

And then when I got too frustrated, I find out you can change the button controls in game and then get even more confused and end up putting the controls back to default.

Sony, you make my life hell.

Eusis

So annoying when games flip the buttons. MGS is one offender.
While the exceptions that DON'T change can throw me off (though I became disappointed MGS4 DIDN'T continue that tradition, I guess because SCEA finally put the foot down to eliminate all exceptions beyond retro releases), I was thinking more of games that just fuck up in the process of flipping them. Radiata Stories had some weird "Press X to kick someone, press O to talk, press X to advance dialogue/make selections" that could result in a few unfortunate accidents, and we had Dragon Quest VIII making BOTH X and O confirm because it simply swapped Triangle (the all in one interact button) with X (cancel) while O was the same (menu button/secondary confirm), rather than juggling it more to make sense relative to most other RPGs (map O to Triangle, Triangle to X, and X to O). I also recall Raw Danger's controls didn't seem to make much sense, I think O was the interact button with the usual X/O confirm/cancel, but then that was kind of a half baked localization period.

Honestly though, those cases could probably have been solved easily enough with just a somewhat smarter localization effort, though some cases I feel MAY be better left as they were in Japan, Oath in Felghana on PSP is sort of an example of that, except you can change around the controls and make it a non-issue.

Gen X

It's all a conspiracy anyways so you wear out your X button quicker and buy a replacement pad. ;)

Wonko_C

It was bound to happen: Not enough space on my 4GB memory card to fit all my games now, so I had to leave UMVC3 out for the time being. I want to buy a 32gb card from tronix but it's on backorder, I'm thinking of buying a 16GB card instead. I'm not planning on going 100% digital, maybe 80% digital and the rest will be games I buy when they price drop/used (Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus come to mind).

Tendo

I picked up Chains of Olympus to play on my Vita. Man I wish they did software anti-aliasing. Jaggy as all get out. I hope not all 3d psp titles look like this :(

btw this is with bilinear filtering on.

androvsky

Yeah Music Unlimited is brilliant on vita. Slick as hell interface and the addition of the offline mode is damn nice. No brainer for mine at a tenner a month.

According to PSNation, it works as in-game soundtracks in at least a few games. As much as I'm annoyed by MU, I gotta admit that's pretty cool. If we get a Pandora app that does the same thing, I'll be in heaven. :)

Grinchy

Banned
It was bound to happen: Not enough space on my 4GB memory card to fit all my games now, so I had to leave UMVC3 out for the time being. I want to buy a 32gb card from tronix but it's on backorder, I'm thinking of buying a 16GB card instead. I'm not planning on going 100% digital, maybe 80% digital and the rest will be games I buy when they price drop/used (Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus come to mind).

I believe you. I personally don't understand how people are getting by with 4GB. My 16GB hovers around 1GB free at all times. I really need a 32. I have to really manage what videos and music I put on there (in fact I can only put about 600MB of music on at any time, currently - compared to having 13GB of music on my Go)

patsu

What dont you understand about the controls? It seems to be the same from when I put tons of hours into MLB 09

It's probably because I suck and am not too technical in baseball. ^_^

I like The Show because of the production value. Was wondering if the Vita one has noob mode.

SRTtoZ

I picked up Chains of Olympus to play on my Vita. Man I wish they did software anti-aliasing. Jaggy as all get out. I hope not all 3d psp titles look like this :(

btw this is with bilinear filtering on.

Chains of Olympus has jaggies even on the PSP, so its game related, not Vita related.

patsu

According to PSNation, it works as in-game soundtracks in at least a few games. As much as I'm annoyed by MU, I gotta admit that's pretty cool. If we get a Pandora app that does the same thing, I'll be in heaven. :)

MU offline playback should work in all games. I tried it with Uncharted.

I think something like Shazam should be a perfect match for MU also. In fact it should be automated to download MU songs.

krpiper

It's probably because I suck and am not too technical in baseball. ^_^

I like The Show because of the production value. Was wondering if the Vita one has noob mode.

I havent used it but when you boot up, it asked what your "comfort level" was with The Show games, there was like a "beginner" option or something like that

Shadow780

YES, I need pandora as custom music on my Vita.

Has anyone attempted to put the Sony Carrying Case (with the sides open) into a FEB case?

I wonder if it'll fit.
No way... The FEB case is form fitting... You can't get the system in there with any case or skin on it...

Oh, for fuck's sake, Sony. Do I have to wait for CFW to fix your mistakes again? I guess I could just import one.
Get comfortable... you're going to be waiting a long, long time (maybe forever)...

I'm having trouble finding the thread with an explanation on how to buy PSN cards at BestBuy.com as an international customer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :3

Need to reformat my vita to fix the near error, what do I need to do to keep my saves? Just simply take the memory card out? Or do i need to back up my stuff, if so can i back them up on my ps3?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Need to reformat my vita to fix the near error, what do I need to do to keep my saves? Just simply take the memory card out? Or do i need to back up my stuff, if so can i back them up on my ps3?

It shouldn't even touch your memory card to restore your Vita, but if you're worried, just simply eject the memory card before doing it

Grinchy

Banned
I was playing a level in Mutant Blobs Attack for the 3rd time in a row to find the missing blob friend, and it's an annoying ass level. I finally found it, went through the rest of the level again, and right when I finished the level I got this screen:

SiShml.jpg

It didn't save any of it. Anyone see this error screen before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom