• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

edit: If you have more things you want video of just let me know.

Played a few more hours last night before bed. Played some Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Lumines, Resident Evil 2, Spelunky, and EDF 2017. Since people are still asking here are some bullet points on the PS Vita PCH-2000:

• Speakers are louder by about 25% (as shown in 4th video)
  • Headphone output is louder/more powerful by 25%
  • The screen looks much better in person than on a camera
  • Colors are still very vibrant (see video 4)
  • It fits well in old cases since it has the same width
  • Wifi seems better and FASTER (see video 4)
  • 64GB card isn't faster
  • The new cases for the Vita kind of suck. (Video 1 and 3)
  • Brightness is more than bright enough
  • I have no problem retiring my OLED
  • Overall it is a beautiful console with a lot of improvements. I will not be missing the OLED.

Here are the other 3 unboxing and hands on videos I did if you missed them:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

After spending some time with the Vita 2000, some more thoughts on headphone output power, speakers, FASTER WIFI?, how PSP/PS1 games look, screen brightness, long play sessions, and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0L5BvYC10

Also interested in seeing how account switching works with the built in NAND.
THIS !!!!

it'd be the selling point to me for this model
hoping people who'd purchase the machine gonna provide us with info on this matter

it's rally annoying that i have to erase the whole memory card in the original vita after making the backup to input my second PSN account
but IMHO , it'd be easier to just do the same on the 1GB internal memory without affecting the memory card, HOPEFULLY !

Auskeek

Q: is it confirmed you can use the 1GB built in memory additionally to their memory cards?
A: No, you must use one or the other. If a memory card is inserted it will override the built in storage.

I hate the way this works. It's not completely useless though, the 1GB will probably do for me until the 32gb or higher capacity cards drop in price.

Played a few more hours last night before bed. Played some Hotline Miami, Uncharted, Lumines, Resident Evil 2, Spelunky, and EDF 2017. Since people are still asking here are some bullet points on the PS Vita PCH-2000:

• Speakers are louder by about 25% (as shown in 4th video)
  • Headphone output is louder/more powerful by 25%
  • The screen looks much better in person than on a camera
  • Colors are still very vibrant (see video 4)
  • It fits well in old cases since it has the same width
  • Wifi seems better and FASTER (see video 4)
  • 64GB card isn't faster
  • The new cases for the Vita kind of suck. (Video 1 and 3)
  • Brightness is more than bright enough
  • I have no problem retiring my OLED
  • Overall it is a beautiful console with a lot of improvements. I will not be missing the OLED.

Here are the other 3 unboxing and hands on videos I did if you missed them:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

After spending some time with the Vita 2000, some more thoughts on headphone output power, speakers, FASTER WIFI?, how PSP/PS1 games look, screen brightness, long play sessions, and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0L5BvYC10

Have you noticed any improvements in how the PSVita interacts with content manager on either the PC or PS3 side? It's incredibly frustrating when trying to move media like video or music onto the Vita, yet it refuses to refresh itself to detect the new stuff and bring it over. Also, what about transfer speeds via USB compared to the old proprietary port?

Have you noticed any improvements in how the PSVita interacts with content manager on either the PC or PS3 side? It's incredibly frustrating when trying to move media like video or music onto the Vita, yet it refuses to refresh itself to detect the new stuff and bring it over. Also, what about transfer speeds via USB compared to the old proprietary port?

No notable difference.

it seems the light blue color is the fastest moving among all colors, and due to its limited stock, it's now the highest cost above all

anyways, i think it and the pink one are the best colors out there, the black one feels cheaper than the original based on the pics/vids i saw

alice

Thanks, guys, for the videos - I'm trying to hold off til the end of the semester so I can get myself one as a reward! I like the light blue color the most - I think it looks classy. I have a pink/white 3ds xl, and I like that color (pale pink) better than what looks like the hot pink on the Vita, but I haven't seen any videos of that color. I'd like to see one.

That's funny about the switched X and O buttons. I play a lot of Japanese games, so I'm pretty much used to those buttons being switched anyway. In fact, I just turned on my PS3 for the first time in a month (to play Diablo III) after playing lots of Etrian Odyssey on my 3ds and it took me a good hour to stop pressing O for enter.

So the old Vita cases will fit the 2000? I don't think I like the new cases as much.

Hey CoachKevin, thanks for your videos so far, looking very promising. One of my biggest annoyances with my OLED Vita is that the screen is way too bright with the slider all the way down if I want to play it in bed in darkness. The brightness slider generally is quite crap, going all the way from 'quite bright' to... 'a bit brighter'. Compared to my iPad, which goes much brighter and much dimmer.

Could you demonstrate on video a comparison between the brightness sliders on the Vita 1000 and 2000?

(by the way, I noticed on one video you showed the brightness slider not going all the way - perhaps it goes all the way when connected to a power supply? I remember the PSP had an 'extra bright' mode only when connected to the mains)

Hey CoachKevin, thanks for your videos so far, looking very promising. One of my biggest annoyances with my OLED Vita is that the screen is way too bright with the slider all the way down if I want to play it in bed in darkness. The brightness slider generally is quite crap, going all the way from 'quite bright' to... 'a bit brighter'. Compared to my iPad, which goes much brighter and much dimmer.

Could you demonstrate on video a comparison between the brightness sliders on the Vita 1000 and 2000?

(by the way, I noticed on one video you showed the brightness slider not going all the way - perhaps it goes all the way when connected to a power supply? I remember the PSP had an 'extra bright' mode only when connected to the mains)

Good call, you are right on the extra bright thing.

As for the brightness, with it turned down it gets quite dark on the LCD all the way down. I would say it is half the brightness of the OLED all the way down.

Good call, you are right on the extra bright thing.

As for the brightness, with it turned down it gets quite dark on the LCD all the way down. I would say it is half the brightness of the OLED all the way down.
Awesome. If you could show that in a vid I'd be gratetul, no need to make one specially but if you have a bunch of things to show you could slip it in. I've seen several GAFers express their dislike of the OLED's inability to go dim, so I'm sure people would be interested in seeing a direct comparison there.

Fusebox

Banned

Certain games like uncharted lock brightness at 80% in order to meet some battery life requirement. Sucks.

LAA

Is the 64GB card noticeably faster than smaller ones?

I believe Eurogamer did a test with the other cards and concluded that the speeds get better the higher in storage size.

Ah yeah, I read that too.
Annoyingly for me, I've kept upgrading my Memory card step by step and I get 32GB for just under £40 and they announce 64GB at TGS, ha ha.
Hopefully 32GB will be enough, but 60GB+ seemed like the "sweet spot" for me on vita.

I swear your opinion will chance when you get your hands on this. The OLED vita feels HUGE and clunky now.

This might be my favorite piece of hardware ever.

Yes Boss!

I swear your opinion will chance when you get your hands on this. The OLED vita feels HUGE and clunky now.

This might be my favorite piece of hardware ever.

Following exactly the same path as the PSP it seems. Just better as the newer models go on.

Good to hear yours and all the other Vita fans huge praise of the 2000. New handheld hardware always invigorates my play habits and I fully expect 2014 to be playing A LOT of Vita simply because of this and the Vita TV.

Following exactly the same path as the PSP it seems. Just better as the newer models go on.

Good to hear yours and all the other Vita fans huge praise of the 2000. New handheld hardware always invigorates my play habits and I fully expect 2014 to be playing A LOT of Vita simply because of this and the Vita TV.

It has almost become my exclusive current gen console aside from a 3DS or PS3 game that catches my eye. Otherwise I am playing retro stuff.

Yes Boss!

It has almost become my exclusive current gen console aside from a 3DS or PS3 game that catches my eye. Otherwise I am playing retro stuff.

Retro and arcade...most of my play along with VC and other older consoles. PS3 is my go-to console but do still play 360 because all the shmups.

A bit ashamed but I've not really played much of my Vita. Beat a few games when I was in afghanistan but have mostly used it for PS1 stuff.

I've just ordered a Vita TV and put in an order for Persona and Muramasa and Soul Sacrifice in anticipation.

Retro and arcade...most of my play along with VC and other older consoles. PS3 is my go-to console but do still play 360 because all the shmups.

A bit ashamed but I've not really played much of my Vita. Beat a few games when I was in afghanistan but have mostly used it for PS1 stuff.

I've just ordered a Vita TV and put in an order for Persona and Muramasa and Soul Sacrifice in anticipation.

Got a VitaTV coming as well. :)

Let me know when you want to get in some soul sacrifice. I also have been saving Persona 4. Maybe for my next trip back to Japan.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Really interested in seeing how the account system works on the vita tv, or if it'll use one at all.

It's not really mentioned often but currently all physical vita carts have a special trophy/save protection on them that disables trophies if the cart is used on a profile or vita other than the original one it was inserted into (for example any used game you buy will have this restriction in place).

So in a situation where you have account A on a vita and start up a cartridge game, then format and switch the vita to account B on another memory card, trophies will be disabled on account B. Even worse, if you format and switch back to account A on the same vita, trophies will still be disabled for that same account A even though it's on the original vita. Basically any account other than the original unformatted one on the same vita will cause the trophy protection to go off.

Only way to re-enable trophies after such a switch is to "format" the cart by deleting its bubble once and reinserting the cart, which also wipes the save data as well as all patches (which are saved directly to vita carts), meaning you'll have to redownload all patches as well as lose your save data.

It'd be a huge pain to have to worry about this kind of thing if you were constantly switching between playing a game on the big screen with the vita tv and on your actual vita

npm0925

I'm tempted to pick up the light blue version when I am in Japan in early November, just so I can use it for remote play with the PS4 that will be waiting for me when I get back. Does Tokyo have a sales tax?

Afrit

I was reading Engadget review, and this part about the battery life caught my attention:

Engadget said:
Last year's Vita gave us around four and a half hours of gaming and Sony has promised at least an extra hour on the new model. In practice, we got up to eight hours of continuous gaming, and that's with brightness at 50 percent, WiFi on and several downloads during testing. This rocketed up to more than 12 hours when we played through less-intensive PSP and PS1 games. That's substantially better run time than we saw on the first Vita, and it beats Sony's own estimates, too; a pretty respectable run, we'd say. While we didn't time it, more casual use lasted around two days, and you can expect video playback to last roughly half a day. Regardless of whether you're thrilled to see LCD replace that OLED screen, we think the battery savings are worth it.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/new-playstation-vita-review-2013/

hongcha

That's awesome about the longer-than-expected battery life. I haven't had to charge my 2000 since I first got it, and I still have over half the battery life left (played 30 min to an hour a day this week, with wifi on).

hongcha

Amazon Japan is currently sold out of the White, Black/Khaki, and Light Blue/White models, but new stock will arrive on Oct 23rd. Seems to be selling quite well there!

Twio

I read that it is actually possible to order things from Amazon Japan in the U.S. with a credit card... has anyone tried this..?

I'm totally willing to jump the gun and order it if I actually can.

Amazon Japan is currently sold out of the White, Black/Khaki, and Light Blue/White models, but new stock will arrive on Oct 23rd. Seems to be selling quite well there!

:)

I really fucking want that yellow one.

That is the next one I am adding. Will wait to I go back to Japan this winter.

I read that it is actually possible to order things from Amazon Japan in the U.S. with a credit card... has anyone tried this..?

They still won't ship outside Japan.

Yes Boss!

Books movies (and other items yes), videogames and systems and accessories no. Just have to use a forwarder who charges a smallish price...usually $10-15.

The biggest improvement about this model is that it's slimmer, imo. The Vita is just thick enough that I hold it, and wish it were slimmer. This new model seems about the perfect depth I'd be looking for, but that's just a nitpick. The OLED is a big feature, and I'm glad I've got that.

hongcha

Amiami has a slightly higher price than Amazon, but they do ship internationally and they accept CCs. That's where I bought mine. Currently they only have the Khaki/black in stock:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GAME-0004608

You can also order the Black from them, but it is backordered, so it will take 1-2 weeks to ship.

To all Vita2.0 owners, how is the battery life compared to the OG vita? Engadget said in their review, they got 8hrs from half brightness playing PS1/PSP games. If this is true, I am very inclined to buying a Vita2.0 once it arrives in my country's stores.

Top Bottom