• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Games like Watch Dogs 2, TLOU, and Skyrim remaster, all run at way higher resolutions and IQ on Pro, but all of these examples suffer from reduced frame rate to their ( lower IQ ) PS4 amateur counterparts.
This has not been true for a while. Both Watch_Dogs 2 and The Last of Us had quick follow-up patches. Both now run at least as well as standard PS4, in addition to having higher resolution. Skyrim is the only patched game that simply runs worse on Pro. (Though some unpatched games seem to be made worse by Boost mode.)

but yeah the pro mode frames are worst than the normal mode for ff15....
No, that's incorrect. Pro light mode is already better than standard PS4, and is the best-performing version of the game.

Not true: https://twitter.com/xcom/status/804394084198584320

It's just a very lazy patch and not that noticeable.
It's so not noticeable that I almost don't believe them. I've had a very small amount of shots to compare so I could always be wrong, but I did not see any improvement to AA in XCOM 2. No comparison video means I can't speak to the presence of improved visual effects.

I thought the pro light mode is the same as PS4 version. lol if its not then yeah I guess its the best version to play
Pro light mode still has a 30fps target exactly like the standard version (not 60fps as it's intended to after the upcoming patch). But framepacing issues are nearly absent in this mode. Standard PS4 has some framepacing issues, and Pro "High" mode has the most.

When sony allows boost mode for pro patched games, I'll try to trade up. The higher framerates are worth it.

To do that, they would have to give the user the ability to basically turn off patches to games. Which they aren't going to do. Best you're likely to get is to reinstall the game and disconnect from the internet/turn off automatic updates so it doesn't patch itself.

And that's ignoring the fact that not every Pro patch was just a Pro patch.

Crayon

To do that, they would have to give the user the ability to basically turn off patches to games. Which they aren't going to do. Best you're likely to get is to reinstall the game and disconnect from the internet/turn off automatic updates so it doesn't patch itself.

If the installation of a pro version is not able to be launched as a regular ps4 game for some reason then that would put a damper on the idea.

arhra

The Pro doesn't get different versions of games installed, the patches apply equally to games installed on base PS4s (you can back up games from a Pro, and restore them to a base PS4, Pro patches intact, not to mention presumably being able to carry games from one system to the other with the new external drive support).

The games change behaviour at runtime, presumably based on a value returned by the OS.

They could probably add an option to make the OS lie and report the system as a base PS4 (which could then be combined with Boost Mode to run as a boosted base PS4 even on a game with a Pro patch), but at that point you're really addressing edge cases by adding options that would just confuse the hell out of most users, and it's probably not worth it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The difference in Just Cause 3 is transformative.

I was having fun with the game at launch, finding the slowdown frustrating but playable, until I got to the largest island. The framerate became totally unbearable even when just gliding over settlements and bases, with no action going on.

With Boost turned on, I flew over those same areas now with no slowdown, and it remained playable even when I started wreaking havoc. I'm not going to claim that it's silky smooth, but the difference is huge. I'm kind of amazed.

welp. gonna get a pro now

Tyaren

I thought the pro light mode is the same as PS4 version. lol if its not then yeah I guess its the best version to play

No, they are not the same. The standard PS4 version does also have framepacing issues. Not as bad as the HQ Pro mode but still. The light mode of Pro does have no framepacing issues and it also runs constantly in 1080p resolution which the standard PS4 version also does not. It runs in a dynamic 900-1080p resolution. So the Pro light mode version is by far the best performing of the game.
There are however many people that are not very bothered by framepacing issues, take me for example. I played through FFXV two times exclusively in HQ mode and it felt perfectly fine to my. I did appreciate the higher resolution, better texture filtering, increased foliage and shadow quality. Very pretty game in that mode.

Mascot

Without wanting to start a derail, is there another Pro Beta sharing thread now that the begging thread has been closed? Just bought a Pro and I need in somehow! :)

Putty

Without wanting to start a derail, is there another Pro Beta sharing thread now that the begging thread has been closed? Just bought a Pro and I need in somehow! :)
I teeeted that i was looking for a code and one turned up after 5 mins...

ManeKast

Xcom 2 loads faster. I swear. Even though it says its already pro enhanced, I don't think any patch notes or elsewhere say it is. Been playing it a LOT so definately noticeable.

Anyone tried the evil within?

bombshell

Has anyone tested the framerate for a pro patched game vs unpatched and in boost mode.

Curious to see if there would be much difference with framerate and other technical stuff like load times

There's no way to delete singular patches, so you'd be at the mercy of 1.00 versions of games if you tried something like that.

Edit: Also just remembered that's not possible anymore with digital games, only disc games. Digital downloads on PS4 come packed with the latest patch already included now.

so after all this, it's ultimately just a boost for the chunk of old games that came out before the pro and never got a patch?
If by "chunk of old games" you mean nearly every single PS4 title released between launch (November 2013) and October 2016, then yes, that is correct.

Xcom 2 loads faster. I swear. Even though it says its already pro enhanced, I don't think any patch notes or elsewhere say it is. Been playing it a LOT so definately noticeable.

Anyone tried the evil within?
XCOM 2 was listed as having future pro support. Did that ever materialise?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've tested a lot of games thus far and it's been a mixed bag. Some really impressive improvements in some games while others remain mostly the same. I'm excited to do a video on this stuff.

For me, it's actually a lot of the small games that benefit the most - games which almost had stable performance but often dipped below in busy scenes.

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is a great one - it was mostly 60fps already on PS4 but a number of specific stages consistently ran below this (~55fps). In a side scroller, this is bad since it results in noticeable judder. Playing with boost mode 100% eliminates this - the town section on fire was loaded with slowdown but plays at a perfect 60fps now.

Mighty No 9 is an example - I know people hate this game but it was a curious one being UE3. The highway stage, for instance, suffered from near constant slowdown on a base PS4 - lots of dips and hitching. Boost mode completely eliminates those issues resulting in a completely smooth experience.

On the flip-side, I was surprised to see Shadow Complex fail to improve in any significant fashion. A lot of areas struggle to hold 60fps on PS4 which seemed crazy to me and boost mode doesn't really improve anything here.

It's a very interesting feature, though.

Ozorov

I've tested a lot of games thus far and it's been a mixed bag. Some really impressive improvements in some games while others remain mostly the same. I'm excited to do a video on this stuff.

For me, it's actually a lot of the small games that benefit the most - games which almost had stable performance but often dipped below in busy scenes.

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is a great one - it was mostly 60fps already on PS4 but a number of specific stages consistently ran below this (~55fps). In a side scroller, this is bad since it results in noticeable judder. Playing with boost mode 100% eliminates this - the town section on fire was loaded with slowdown but plays at a perfect 60fps now.

Mighty No 9 is an example - I know people hate this game but it was a curious one being UE3. The highway stage, for instance, suffered from near constant slowdown on a base PS4 - lots of dips and hitching. Boost mode completely eliminates those issues resulting in a completely smooth experience.

On the flip-side, I was surprised to see Shadow Complex fail to improve in any significant fashion. A lot of areas struggle to hold 60fps on PS4 which seemed crazy to me and boost mode doesn't really improve anything here.

You really should try BF4

As one of the 3 people that actually enjoyed MN9 that's actually good to hear :)

Did anyone test MGS5 with boost mode?
I know the game already runs at stable 60 FPS but I was wondering if it can get even higher like Rainbow Six Siege which runs beyond 60 FPS now and reaches 115 FPS in some places.

bombshell

Did anyone test MGS5 with boost mode?
I know the game already runs at stable 60 FPS but I was wondering if it can get even higher like Rainbow Six Siege which runs beyond 60 FPS now and reaches 115 FPS in some places.

That's not how it works, boost mode can't remove hardcoded framerate caps. That result is only possible in Rainbow Six Siege terrorist hunt mode because the game has a Vsync off option.

-hadouken

The addition of external HDDs was great timing - downloading all the old games for testing wouldn't otherwise be possible!

Ozorov

The addition of external HDDs was great timing - downloading all the old games for testing wouldn't otherwise be possible!

How does this work? Can I take games from my PS4 HDD -> External -> Remove the game from the PS4 -> When I want to play the game again I just put in the external HDD and move it back to the PS4 HDD?

bombshell

How does this work? Can I take games from my PS4 HDD -> External -> Remove the game from the PS4 -> When I want to play the game again I just put in the external HDD and move it back to the PS4 HDD?

You can play games directly off the external HDD.

There's a Move option, so already installed games can be moved to the external (or the other way). Also in the settings either the internal or external can be set as default installation drive.

Eighthours

I play Rocket League for about 45 minutes every night with my girlfriend and it's always been a bit frame-hitchy online. Seemed smooth as butter last night in all the arenas I played with Boost Mode on! There doesn't seem to be a resolution increase (I'm sure that split-screen runs at a lower resolution than single player) but the frame rate being better was awesome.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Has anyone tested the framerate for a pro patched game vs unpatched and in boost mode.

Curious to see if there would be much difference with framerate and other technical stuff like load times

Really interested to see some tests done of this as well. The main reason for my wanting and getting a Pro was for increased frame rates in games, not increased visuals while still having low frame rates. Anyone testing this?

Any word on No Man's Sky yet? Any improvements there?

Need some information on this as well. Any benefit from boost mode?

Mascot

DON'T BE SCARED TO TALK ABOUT PROJECT CARS.

:p

Paganmoon

Anyone done tests of games with Pro mode, before their Pro patch, and done a comparison?

For instance, for games that don't have supersampling at 1080p (TLoU, Ezio collection) on the Pro. Is it basically like for like pre and post patch?

Top Bottom