• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

Unknown?

6.2m in less than a month and half and sold through numbers as well.
Really impressive stuff. The Black Friday and December sales were really strong.
With this sold through I expect Q3 shipments for the whole October-December quarter to be close to 8.5m. That would mean around 15.9m PS4 shipped from April to December and more than 4m units to ship in their Q4 to meet their original 20m target. I find that unlikely unless they're planning a permanent price cut to 249$ and big bundles.
They'll still achieve a growth over last year though.
That'll be hard to pull off but they'll be extremely close regardless.

Uncharted 4 pulling it's weight damn.
BasicBarrenIndianabat.gif

SURGEdude

Impressive holiday sales, especially software. Mixed annual sales depending on where you think a console should peak in it's lifetime.

Overall a good showing and better than I expected. Love to know the Pro vs. base breakdown.

Morts

The 53 million isn't that impressive when you realize it's just the first 26.5 million buyers upgrading to the Pro.

Elios83

6.2 for the entire holiday season. They were at 50 million at the beginning of Dec so they sold 3+ million in a month.

To be precise:
50m sold through was up to December 6
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/161207b.html
53.4m until the end of December.
So 3.4 million sold through in the last (extended) three weeks of December alone.

Whole holiday season as indicated in this PR is from 20 November to the end of December so basically BF+ the whole December.
Shipments for fiscal Q3 will also account for October and the first 3 weeks of November and of course for the extra stock available at retailers.

That'll be hard to pull off but they'll be extremely close regardless.

With current sales trend they should end up between 18.5 and 19m units, so they won't meet the 20m target, it's still a huge number of consoles and a growth compared to last year.

Impressive that PS4 is holding up so well against PS2 worldwide, especially when you consider the performance in Japan.

Yep .
Without Japan PS4 is still going at really good pace .
Also PS4 will most likely make more money for Sony than PS2 did .
Even if it don't reach PS2 LTD sales.

YTD ps4 sold through estimates by sony

NPD talk =/ WW
ps4 was sold for as low as 150€ this year in europe and had many different great bundles
ps4 is way stronger in japan this year
what us 15 and 16 differences in japan hardware and software wise?

15m yoy on software is very impressive 😰

TLZ

Banned
Great numbers for PS4!!!
Wonder how it will fare against Scorpio and Switch next holiday season.
Should be good with a price decrease. I don't see the Scorpio affecting this at all unless they announce it as a new gen console which will make the ps4 look old.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Congratulations to Sony. I feel like 2017 has the potential to be even bigger what with so much software being released.

I just feel like a lot of it should be spread out more throughout the year instead of clustered into the first 3 or 4 months, to give each title time to breath.

AudioEppa

The best platform and the best game stay winning, Congrats Sony and ND.

2017 is going to be lit for PlayStation.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
2017 will most definitely be a bigger year for them software wise. And I think potentially one of the best years in gaming if everything hits target dates.

Couldn't have happened to a better console! I've had a blast with it since day one, and have more great games to play than I have time to play them.

I remember 10 years ago when people were laughing at the idea of Uncharted even rivaling Gears of War. Hell if you told me a decade ago that Uncharted 4 will do Halo numbers, I'd laugh at your face.

Congrats Naughty Dog.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom