• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
I wonder how many people actually care about these differences in hardware, and how many argue just for the sake of arguing, out of boredom.

I care because I love looking at system differences and how they affect how games run or look on different systems.
sadly (or great... for the actual end user) nowadays that gets less and less interesting... back in the day with PS1 and N64... or even earlier with SNES and MegaDrive games... that was really cool to see. how ports were handles, what tricks were used by developers to take advantage of the hardware of each system and so on.
or the crazy ass compression work an giant cartridge of Resident Evil 2 on N64! that's just a really cool thing to me to see.

but even now it still interests me, the Switch made things more interesting again tho gotta say.

Lol console gamers are about to find out what ray tracing costs in terms of performance.

not as much as many want to make you believe, especially if it is cleverly implemented.
you can run Control at console settings at 30fps with raytracing on a GTX1070, a card with no RT hardware acceleration at all and is just a bit more powerful than an Xbox One X

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
How do you know it's falsehoods?

Like I said time will tell

Because he admitted to lying. Then changed his story. Then talked about resolutions. Then he changed that. Then he speculated.

We know the game was being play tested on a PS4 pro. So unless the game was being play tested at 540P, the info is a bit weird no?

But sure buddy, time will tell and until it tells you will just spread the fud. We get it, you need this.

skneogaf

10 pages already on a ps5 game having optimisation issues. Probably won't be the only one if trying to match the more powerful xbox series x I imagine.

I'm sure it will be fine as will all ps5 games but this may be a sign that having a clocks that are constantly changing will be an issue for some games that need as high as possible speed.

thelastword

Banned
Hang on, I thought RE8 was confirmed as next gen only?

Where's this cross gen stuff coming from?
OK wasn't aware they dropped the last gen versions......But by virtue of that it means that the game which is 70% complete was developed in mind with last gen systems for the most part.......They have dropped the last gen consoles because of what? "Loadtimes" because you do a lot of traversal through the village and they wanted to increase ATD and fidelity as well, but then these are strengths right up PS5's alley.......SSD, Geometry Engine, higher clocked GPU. So it seems they are only now transitioning to next gen console strengths, so it's still work in progress as they seek to utilize the next gen machines.....Nothing to see here folks. I have a feeling since they dropped the last gen systems, they may take a bit more time to upgrade everything to meet next gen spec and their new ambitions for the title.........In essence, they are not using the next gen console strengths yet, nor is it optimized for it atm. This game is not releasing in February or early next year as some people think, you heard it here first......Expect a delay with their new ambitions.

Ohhh, and so much for current gen systems not holding back ambition and graphics for next gen......I guess after the recent showcase, we are just getting more answers to that question, which was obvious to many rational posters btw.....

30% did an entire cargo plane of Columba's finest land on top of your head or something

An entire cargo plane of pigeon crap?

article-Pigeon--Columba-livi-fn9.png

Dang it I still have PTSD from those bloody things.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Because he admitted to lying. Then changed his story. Then talked about resolutions. Then he changed that. Then he speculated.

We know the game was being play tested on a PS4 pro. So unless the game was being play tested at 540P, the info is a bit weird no?

But sure buddy, time will tell and until it tells you will just spread the fud. We get it, you need this.

Just because it's not what you want to hear no need to get to upset I understand a lot of you are mentally Invested in the new consoles.

It's a rumour you take it with a grain of salt and see what happens, the game is not out untill 2021 anyway.

Spread what fud? What exactly do "I need" ?

Naked Lunch

In all seriousness, 3rd party performance is a big deal.
99% of the modern games I play are multiplat.
I keep seeing nuggets of info that reminds me of the 360/PS3 days.
It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Siri

Banned
I myself was barely able to run RE7 - because I nearly shat myself. Honestly, that game, for me, was almost too frightening. There were a couple times I literally shouted out loud, reactively. It’s rare that I ever react to anything. RE7 was a great game for that reason.

Not sure if this is legitimate or not, but this could be why we are hearing rumblings about mid generation consoles already. I have a feeling that these next generation consoles are not quite as powerful as they are claiming or they really have to do extensive research to get the most out of them.

Banned
I myself was barely able to run RE7 - because I nearly shat myself. Honestly, that game, for me, was almost too frightening. There were a couple times I literally shouted out loud, reactively. It’s rare that I ever react to anything. RE7 was a great game for that reason.

there we have it! the PS5 is easily scared! how will the affect game development? Silent Hill reboot exclusive on Series X because the PS5 can't handle it and always starts to hide in a corner and cry while playing it?

The most powerful 1080P system ever. What a absolute shit show no wonder they are trying to buy up marketing and DLC rights everywhere to force developers to gimp the Xbox version.

What ever happened with the system being easier to be develop for and with the SSD that will revolutionize gaming as we know it.

The only thing happening here is how willing you are to actually believe the PS5 is a total shitshow and Sony doesn't know what they're doing when designing hardware. Doesn't matter what we've seen so far during the PS5 reveal, Unreal 5 demo, or first hand developer accounts. Nope. What matters here is If this current rumor makes you feel better about buying a Series X, than hold on for dear life.

This goes to show how a mod from a forum can stir shit. He dropped this, then said it's referring to a demo from several months ago (probably pre-alpha going by the estimated release date) and suddenly it's news.

Edit: and of course this is being shared by the discord FUD machine. Guys: I've seen gameplay at 4k 60fps on the PS5 with ray tracing. I'm yet to see next gen gameplay on the series X. That's all.

Smoke6

"With DirectX 12 Ultimate, advanced effects such as ray tracing are expected to reach more games sooner, and it makes developers’ lives easier by allowing them to create games using the same common graphics API and graphics architecture for both PCs and consoles,” Team Red(AMD) said in a statement.
That’s crazy seeing how halo has to get it patched into its game and that’s a launch title!

You know he was saying that there was no lockheart, right?
What kind of imaginary developer that is "vetted" to "have access to both dev kits" would say that?
Even the cleaning person of the office building where dev kits are located would be more knowledgeable on the subject.

To be fair didn't a lot of insiders think lockhart was cancelled?

Better example is how he implied the github leak was fake. He was the main guy cited as to why the PS5 wouldn't be 36CUs by playstation fans for months.

Justin9mm

I call BS.

Running perfect on XSX but struggling on PS5 even at 1080 is something only possible if you sabotage your own game on purpose. This makes no sense at all.

Fanboy wars should not even exist.
Exactly, the performance difference would not be that significant. There is some sort of FUD going on here. If this is true then someone is overlooking something that is causing the unstable performance on the PS5. It's got nothing to do with performance capability. Not if they saying it can't even run 1080p but XSX is fine lol

coming early next year

true, the Series X also has a CPU advantage tho, and a large part of the RAM runs faster as well

but like I said, there is also a lot more under the hood that made the One X just way more efficient than the Pro, which will most likely not be the case here

Yes the One X had more than just those obvious advantages, the GPU was also a year newer and likely more efficient

The new consoles are using parts from the same year and same generation of hardware, there are customizations done to both and rumor is Sony did more customizing than MS but we'll have to wait and see on if that's true and if so how much of a difference does it really make. Anyone who thinks the Series X is going to run something at native 4K/60 and the PS5 can't handle it at 1080p/60 is going to be in for a shock lol.

Dabaus

Banned
The most glaring hole in all of this is a Japanese third party not only has Xbox series x dev kits but has also had them long enough to get games running at 4k60 all the mean while we’ve yet to see a single first party Xbox game said to be running on a series x devkit. Sounds like someone is trying to throw sand in the gears so to speak of PlayStations momentum because it’s been a rough few weeks. The fact we’re debating “power” again, a place where ms has felt most comfortable touting the past 3-4 years tells me this probably a coordinated attack of sorts.

Better example is how he implied the github leak was fake. He was the main guy cited as to why the PS5 wouldn't be 36CUs by playstation fans for months.

I believe he said it was outdated which it was, that was a work in progress number not the final performance metric which so many xbox fans still cling to as proof of something, that they wish were true but isn't.

As far as lockhart it could be that devs thought it was cancelled at one point because MS wasn't communicating with them and it sounds like they got a lot f negative feedback from devs when the idea was first brought up to begin with.

Last edited:
You know he was saying that there was no lockheart, right?
What kind of imaginary developer that is "vetted" to "have access to both dev kits" would say that?
Even the cleaning person of the office building where dev kits are located would be more knowledgeable on the subject.

He wasn't informed on Lockheart's plans. Most developers didn't even have the dev kits for XSX last year. Not sure what's shocking about it to you.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Native 4K? LOL

YES, native 4K
However, the implementation of certain effects - shadow quality and the intensity of depth of field - is tied to rendering resolution, an aspect of the presentation that varies substantially between each version of the game. At the top of the stack sits Xbox One X, rendering natively on ultra HD displays and looking magnificent. Taking the runner-up position here is PlayStation 4 Pro, which uses a reconstruction technique - likely checkerboarding - to take a native 1920x2160 framebuffer up to 4K.

I believe he said it was outdated which it was, that was a work in progress number not the final performance metric which so many xbox fans still cling to as proof of something, that they wish were true but isn't.

Its proof he had no idea about the hardware. He told people to "move past" the github leak in a speculation thread when it was a completely accurate leak of final hardware minus some boost clocks.

DEVELOPER is the key word here, and I was told on top that "yes he is a trusted and vetted developer that has access on both dev kits"

logic dictates that he is lying, so in consequence those vetted for him are lying too, etc etc. , end of story.

thing is, I am not anybody's father in here so as to make it my obligation to set people's minds working correctly, especially for already known things.
so, those of you that want to be fooled by people trying to fool you? be my guest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom