• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

I'm looking at the Backup and Restore feature now on my PS4. It looks like it's a whole-drive backup only. I'm not sure if it's possible to delete everything on the PS4 except P.T., perform the backup of only P.T., and restore it to another PS4 without logging your own account in first. I uhm don't want to re-download and re-install from disc the 400 GB of games I have on my PS4 just to test this, but someone else could certainly try it.

Will do this once I get home, P.T. must survive - no matter the cost!

So I just got my new PS4, and I've started downloading PT, since it's still available on my end in Australia. Not sure when I'll start playing it, but... Feels good, man.

All they've done is give it a mystique and made it a super rare game, created this legendary title.

"One of the best games of the horror genre, completely free, only released on one platform, early in its life, for less than a year."

geomon

Just finished the teaser for the first time. Wow, what could've been.

Can you believe there are now 2 different types of PS4 owners? Those with P. T. installed and those without. Valuable indeed.

TacosNSalsa

Isn't this similar to something that happened with Amazon and a digital book they didn't have the rights to distribute ?

Isn't this similar to something that happened with Amazon and a digital book they didn't have the rights to distribute ?
Kind of, but not really.

It's very easy to get most removed media if it has ever been in a digital format. Ebooks, music and video are usually stored and uploaded. Even games are preserved, in most cases. No one can, realistically even access P.T

I'm looking at the Backup and Restore feature now on my PS4. It looks like it's a whole-drive backup only. I'm not sure if it's possible to delete everything on the PS4 except P.T., perform the backup of only P.T., and restore it to another PS4 without logging your own account in first. I uhm don't want to re-download and re-install from disc the 400 GB of games I have on my PS4 just to test this, but someone else could certainly try it.

My guess is that the backup you perform is tied to whatever account the content is tied to. You might have to create the account on the PS4, restore the backup, and then delete the account after. If your real PS4 account has a P.T. license, it might theoretically still work after you delete the account associated with the backup.

Yeah that's so much effort. lol

Unless someone has a hero account in which we can redownload from another region then I'm pretty sure I'm never playing this again. xD

Lunareste

I've tweeted this to Konami, but honestly at this point I will just never purchase one of their products again.

I'm tired of publishers treating the fans like crap.

Coldsun

Banned
I've tweeted this to Konami, but honestly at this point I will just never purchase one of their products again.

I'm tired of publishers treating the fans like shit.

Isn't it clear they're getting out of the gaming industry. You wouldn't be able to purchase any of their products again because after MGS5, there may likely not be any more products. I don't think they care.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So I greet this development with indifference and a mild lament for what could have been, no more.

Not a care in the world for those who did not get to play it before and will never be able to? Is this sarcasm or an instance of the "bad thing does not affect me so I do not care" syndrome?

Still hoping this isn't true.
Shouldn't it disappear from your download list instead giving you a file download error? Seems some regions can also still access it.

It would be some next level evil shit by Konami to go out of their way and have Sony remove the file from the servers itself. That almost never happened and even in those cases might have been some error.
I can still download and play stuff like Gran Turismo HD Concept. Hell, when someone fucked up with licensing and Silent Hill 1 was released on the PSN store just to be quickly removed again, you could also still download and play it.

I can still download it in Germany ... don't know what's the problem

it's alledgedly still up on Europe until the PS-Store updates today, so you got about another 6 hours time to download it.

Strange though, why would it be removed from users who have it? Outrun with it's Ferrari licences and Marvel stuff was just taken down from sale. Why would this be any different?

Bl@de

The store updates are staggered by region. It won't be long before you won't be able to download it from anywhere

I see, well then I better download it. Just 1,3GB and haven't played it yet. Selling it on ebay is stupid though when it's tied to your account -.-

cjp

cIgTFKp.jpg

UK. Downloading ok right now.

Remember when demos came in discs/tapes with the monthly magazines? That way you could keep that demo forever.

I don't like this digital drm future. The only one that makes sense is something like GOG.

and of course... fuck you, Konami

Tainted

This is probably a dumb question, but PS4 doesn't support NTFS. Windows doesn't let you format a large HDD with FAT32. So how the hell do I format a USB hard drive with FAT32 so the PS4 can use the hard drive to make a backup? Come on Sony, help a magical girl out here.

Google 'FAT32 formatter'...there are a few freeware programs you can use for windows.

What I found curious is today I turned on my PS4 and noticed in my uploads that my PS4 automatically backed up my PT save. Nothing else, just the PT save. Its like my copy knew. It knew!

faridmon

So basically the license holder can take any thing they want back provided its digital?
I really hope I don't lose any of my music collection on Amazon Mp3 or ITunes

:/

Petrae

Remember when demos came in discs/tapes with the monthly magazines? That way you could keep that demo forever.

I don't like this digital drm future. The only one that makes sense is something like GOG.

I still have a small collection of PlayStation and PS2 demo discs, dating as far back as 1997. They all still run, and no publisher is going to take them back for whatever reason. Like P.T., several of these demo discs were FREE... but again, no publisher will be banging on my door, demanding something that allegedly belongs to them because they granted a limited license or whatever.

The Digital Future giveth, but it also taketh away-- and more and more people aren't going to like the "taketh away" part when it becomes more and more common.

Hanmik

Strange that they would do this..

I guess it kind of makes sense when you consider the "purpose" of the demo.. it was marketing for Silent Hills .. with 3 persons who are not employed to do the product anymore.. I guess Hideo, Norman or del Toro had something to say here,.

My PS1 demo disc collection was stolen. :(

Just redownloading in UK just now onto my 20th anniversary ps4.

Might make it more valuable but never selling or giving up my kingofscotland account.

Tainted

Glad I kept in on my hard drive.

This whole thing is just weird, wtf is Konami's goal? Do they hate money?

How would Konami be earning money from a free demo ? It is more likely that due to Silent Hills being cancelled along with any contract they had with Norman Reedus for his likeness expiring

Reason seems obvious, they don't want to keep paying Reedus for using his likeness in the game.

Although it is sad for people who enjoyed the demo.

cripterion

How would Konami be earning money from a free demo ? It is more likely that due to Silent Hills being cancelled along with any contract they had with Norman Reedus for his likeness expiring

I'm not talking about the removal of the demo in itself, but of the fact that they dropped this game that seemed to be getting traction amongst the fans based on the PT concept.

Reason seems obvious, they don't want to keep paying Reedus for using his likeness in the game.

Although it is sad for people who enjoyed the demo.

Couldn't they just cut the video at the end of the demo? Reedus was just there in the cinematic or I'm missing something?

Looks like BS to me. Only 1 bidder and they just decided to "buy it now" for 5200 bucks? More than likely this guy created a dummy account to supposedly buy this item. Either that or some really dumb person paid about $4750 too much for a game system.

If that was a joke, it was a pretty expensive one. Here in Germany you have to pay 8% of the price to eBay in fees. Probably ~the same everywhere else.

Anyways, I hope that sets the market value. Would sell my PS4 + P.T. for 1000-2000€ in a second. Anybody interested? LOL

Bluth54

There's no way around this? I'm sure hackers can find a way to load the game on people's harddrives. There's just no way it's gone forever. Holy shit.

I'm sure that there are ways to get the game onto a PS4 but if you don't have a license to play it on your PSN account you aren't going to be able to play it.

Zareka

I get taking P.T. down from the store, but not letting people who already own it download it? That's really crappy, unless there's legal stuff with Reedus I mean. At that point though it'd be good of them to reupload it without the teaser. I dunno.

At the very least my PS4 just got a heck of a lot more valuable.

yuraya

Sony is to blame for this just as much as Konami imo. There needs to be rules in place which forbid publishers from deleting shit from your servers. Hundreds of games get delisted from Steam store page but nothing ever gets completely deleted. If you manage to trade for a game with someone or find a serial key for the game years later you'd still be able to download it despite the game not being available in the store.

Anyways terrible news. I always wanted to play this but have yet to pick up a PS4. Oh well I guess I'll just watch it on youtube or something. The industry needs better rules and regulations when it comes to this type of stuff. Its just awful that this can happen.

/disappointing

Couldn't they just cut the video at the end of the demo? Reedus was just there in the cinematic or I'm missing something?

They probably could, but they won't.

It would take time, money, and resources (even if not very much) to do that, and we're talking about a free teaser for a cancelled project here.

Sony is to blame for this just as much as Konami imo. There needs to be rules in place which forbid publishers from deleting shit from your servers. Hundreds of games get delisted from Steam store page but nothing ever gets completely deleted. If you manage to trade for a game with someone or find a serial key for the game years later you'd still be able to download it despite the game not being available in the store.

Anyways terrible news. I always wanted to play this but have yet to pick up a PS4. Oh well I guess I'll just watch it on youtube or something. The industry needs better rules and regulations when it comes to this type of stuff. Its just awful that this can happen.

/disappointing

Yeah I agree. Sony should just tell them to fuck off

Tainted

I'm not talking about the removal of the demo in itself, but of the fact that they dropped this game that seemed to be getting traction amongst the fans based on the PT concept.

No worries, this being a PT thread I figured you were referring to it rather than Silent Hills. I consider PT and Silent Hills 2 seperate entities as there is no guarantee Silent Hills if it came to be would have resembled anything in PT in the slightest.

Top Bottom