• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar: If you're gay, you should avoid the 2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

I find it really disturbing how these certain Arab nations seem so prosperous and modern from the outside, but still remain so incredibly outdated and barbaric in terms of human rights

As some already pointed out, they where rising pretty fast with all that oil money, so it's not suprising that they're modernising the cities while the rest stands still.

It's not really suprising either that they're pretty much behind on human rights.
These countries, even though they're pretty rich, are still far behind on education and other things, or simply just being a secular country.

If you take a look at the recent history for alot of countries, both human and equal rights are something that really took alot of time and is still an unfinished process that needs more time, even in developed nations.
It never was or never will be an overnight process, and just because the country and some structures are developing faster with all that money, it doesn't necessarily mean that other things will change as fast as that.
So I doubt that Qatar is gonna change in the immediate future, it might even take 50+ years until they reach similar levels.

And while I certainly agree that it's a shame, it's hard to use your own standards on a country that has a different development and longer development until it reaches the same standards.

The real shame is, that the FIFA doesn't give a crap about alot of issues, they really could pressure Qatar....
Giving them the WC was already the biggest mistake, but the FIFA is just a corrupt shithouse with all these old farts just collecting the money...

Man when you can make Russia look somewhat better you're doing something wrong.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 got moved to Australia or the US. If not, then I hope the players boycott having to play during their season, since it's (apparently) going to be held during the winter.

Kisaya

I hope you're being sarcastic, because otherwise you aren't any better than the anti-gay crowd.

I'm not. As someone who is Arab and grew up in a Muslim Arab household, I'm really disappointed and kind of ashamed of the people of my culture.

This World Cup will go on but will be boycotted to death, first by fans, then possibly even some teams. I cannot see it end well.

That is if ISIS doesn't conquer them first.... "And now for the opening ceremony, Kaffir pinata!"

jelly

Countries need to say now they won't participate, not when a few hundred more slaves die building the infrastructure.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I should be in the stands at Sun Life stadium (because you bet your ass if the U.S. had gotten it, there'd be games here in Miami) watching the World cup in 2022 with my father, who is getting up there in age and that might be the last one he sees. It would have been a magical moment for us. Not just him but all my friends as well. I'd even go to a match of eliminated minnows playing each other, just to have the experience.

Instead its being hosted in a ass-backwards third-world country with no soccer history whatsoever, that has literally killed thousands of people doing slave labor in order to prepare for it, after bribing its way to hosting it.

I've been playing and watching the sport since 1992 but I'm not watching a single second of this fucking shit. I hope its a complete fucking disaster. Fuck FIFA, fuck Qatar.

itll be hilarious seeing westerners break all those rules Qatar is trying to enforce. your trippin if you think people arent going to get drunk or show up with little clothing at something as big and festive as the world cup. American's especially should do as they please in that ass-backwards country, no way in hell an American gets touched in a country like that during the world cup, thatd be a death sentence for Qatar.

It does considering all I've gone through as an Arab female having to deal through bullshit because of ignorant Arab culture that is still being widely practiced today.

So, by your own logic. You too are an awful Arab?

EDIT: Nope, just ignorant.

Kisaya

Lol, if you want me to apologize, then okay I should have been more specific in my words. But it always frusrates me that the majority of my race (oh let me be more specific, the straight males* of my race) are a bunch of ignorant assholes, and it shouldn't be excused or ignored.

Scum

ibhhA0JgJnDWU1.gif

Kisaya

Dude, it's not generalizing when all polls shows that the majorities in the Arab nations are not for equality when it comes to gay people.

Does that make them "shitty"?

That's up for debate.

Nah brah, #NotAllArabs

edit: it should be also be noted that even the majority of Arab Americans are not for equality for lgbtq people, and anyone that wants to disagree with me is only trying to save face for the community.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

dude its not a controversy

the majority of "3rd world" countries have terrible attitude towards homosexuality. Its not hating your culture, its hating a specific part of your culture. I feel the same way she does about my own people.

Dude, it's not generalizing when all polls shows that the majorities in the Arab nations are not for equality when it comes to gay people.

That's up for debate.

Majority of the world is not for equality when it comes to gay people, including America. It will take long time to change attitudes, but to say majority of an entire fucking race is awful and ruins everything based on the actions of its government is ridiculous.

iamblades

I really don't understand at this point why there isn't someone or some group of national associations that just say 'fuck it' and create their own world championship.

Obviously no one likes FIFA, so why not just say fuck em.

I'm sure if Brazil and Spain and Germany and England said 'we are making a new world championship and won't be playing in the FIFA world cup, they could get a TV deal just as lucrative (probably even more so for the national FAs, since the money wouldn't be funneled off into some corrupt asshole's pockets).

I get it in the case of the IOC, where they own all the trademarks on the olympics, but what really does FIFA control? that ugly ass trophy?

We are seeing this unfold with the NCAA slowly, thank god. Ultimately these sporting events are only as good as the participants, if the football powerhouses boycotted FIFA, all the TV networks and sponsorships would be switching over immediately.

funkypie

Banned
I'm more concerned about the 2000+ workers that have died already in near slave like conditions building the stadiums.

Countries around the world should be refusing to send teams there on that alone. It is quite obvious with the recent FIFA bribe report that FIFA won't do anything about it.

Kisaya

Majority of the world is not for equality when it comes to gay people, including America. It will take long time to change attitudes, but to say majority of an entire fucking race is awful and ruins everything based on the actions of its government is ridiculous.

It's not the government that's the cause of this, it's the widely accepted mentality of the culture that the majority of this race follows.

CDX

Qatar: If you're gay, you EVERYBODY should avoid the 2022 World Cup

FIFA and Qatar, what a mess, both of them.

iMax

It's not the government that's the cause of this, it's the widely accepted mentality of the culture that the majority of this race follows.

Precisely. The government could change things tomorrow morning and they'd have a mutiny on their hands from the locals. They don't want it.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

The majority of the US is actually turning fully toward gay rights (despite rejections from republicans). Gay marriage is now legal in what 37 or 38 states? The middle east is so far away from that it's terrifying.

Dali

Between the alcohol and apparent issues with Western clothes they really seem like a poor choice to host such an event.

Nah brah, #NotAllArabs

edit: it should be also be noted that even the majority of Arab Americans are not for equality for lgbtq people, and anyone that wants to disagree with me is only trying to save face for the community.

So is it all the Arabs or just the straight male ones this time?

That's up for debate.

I agree. The Majority are against homosexuality and that's unacceptable. But Kisaya made it sound like all Arabs are scumbags, which I found offensive. (Then only attributed it to the majority of male men, as if the women don't hold the same views regarding homosexuality)

Jimrpg

I don't get into boycotts usually but this is BS. And they're telling women what to wear too? Give me a break.

Edit: Oh, and slaves too?

I live in an Islamic country currently, you are effectively saying your culture is superior, that's great, I bet they don't care they just want to do things their way.

jett

D-Member
Hiding behind the word "culture". You and your culture and go eat shit, Qatar. These two countries should have never gotten the WC.

Kisaya

(Then only attributed it to the majority of male men, as if the women don't hold the same views regarding homosexuality)

Arab women who have this view are just as shitty, my mother is one of them. But you can't argue that it isn't the result of the culture that Arab men have imposed on them.

EDIT: before you quote this telling me to fuck off and I'm some racist, continue looking at my other posts and use those for debate instead.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
It's their culture if u don't like it don't go, as simple as that. Nobody tells u what to do in your house.

But people have a right to complain about the BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT in the world being held in a country with such an open discrimination.

And yes, this is a very shitty aspect of this culture,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom