• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

Coolade

Bummer.

It should have been UWP only

yHjpxWL.gif

Edit. bait taken lmao

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If there is a slim chance Halo, Gears, and Forza ever get on Steam you know it's gonna require some type of Windows sign in just so it can communicate with Xbox Live.

And someone will be able to disable that like XLiveless.dll So, your point? If I can buy it on a service I already use over one that has MASSIVE restrictions and doesn't allow mods, why would I use the newer store that has MASSIVE restrictions and doesn't allow mods?

killroy87

I know the chances are slim to none, but if they announce a day and date Steam launch for Forza Horizon 3, I'll buy that game day one.

iNvid02

cool i've wanted to play this for a while, but from glancing at the pcperf thread every once in a while it seems like the game needs major work still. maybe a sale

jonno394

I don't understand why they are putting their exclusives on Steam since the whole point of having a windows store is to bring customers to your own store.

Having "store" exclusives on a single platform is a ridiculous notion imo. You're leaving so many potential customers out there with hardware that can run your title.

They've likely felt like they have got as much as they can get for this from w10 store, and would now rather have some of the money for selling via steam to customers rather than no money from the same customers who won't buy from their store.

And someone will be able to disable that like XLiveless.dll So, your point? If I can buy it on a service I already use over one that has MASSIVE restrictions and doesn't allow mods, why would I use the newer store that has MASSIVE restrictions and doesn't allow mods?

It's mainly for multiplayer and cross-play.

Durante

This doesn't necessarily mean performance will be any better guys.
Indeed. In fact, I'm hardly the most ardent defender of UWP around, but I can't really think of a reason why it would significantly affect performance one way or another.

Features, compatibility, moddability, preservation? Sure.
Performance? Nah.

jackdoe

Dammit. I will probably have to repurchase the game to get the Win32 version instead of the shitty UWP version I currently own.

If there is a slim chance Halo, Gears, and Forza ever get on Steam you know it's gonna require some type of Windows sign in just so it can communicate with Xbox Live. Unless MS decides to ditch all that and have full online interactivity with steam.

It could be similar to GFWL, that required an Xbox Account to log in and if those games like Halo and Forza were released on steam I think they would adopt a similar method.

Of course it should be miles better than GFWL because that was a pain in the ass to setup on any game

Bought a W10 key for $15 at launch and had to wait 3 months to play due to UWP gSync issues, enjoyed the game and even plat'd (1000GS) it - only requires 2 playthroughs, so pretty easy complete achievement. Some great moments in the game, although the 20 minute TV episodes at the end of each chapter grind the game to a complete halt.

Interesting that its launching at $39.99, bit of a slap in the face to everyone who bought it at launch but a great price point. I'd definitely recommend anyone play at $20-30. Really, really bizarre CE and also weird that the physical version is the same price as digital yet comes with a steam key (and DVDs). If it sells at amazon/best buy you'll be able to get it for $32 which is nice.

Only issue I really had with the game was the graphics, while stunning at times at other times it looks like someone smeared vaseline all over the screen, and the FPS was choppy at best on a 970 and settings at medium. Still, overall I enjoyed the game and hope it does really well and hope they do a sequel, albeit without the stupid TV segments.

CHC

It would be really nice if current owners of the W10 version (i.e; my idiot self) got access to it on Steam. If not, that's just another great reason never to support MS's store again.

I don't think they will do this, but it would be good.

Fractal

Banned
Think there is now a very different mindset now compared to back in the day with GFWL.
We'll see... but going by what I saw, PC communities around the Internet weren't exactly thrilled by the idea of UWP and MS' "walled garden" ideas. Also, when EA was establishing Origin, they did it on the back of BF3, a major release for its time, while MS is in a much tougher position. For example, their "holy trio" of Halo, Gears and Forza not only has a fairly weak foothold on the PC, but it also lost a good chunk of relevance in the console space compared to the previous gen.

To sum it up, MS is fighting an uphill battle when it comes to establishing a strong presence in PC gaming, so I have my share of doubts regarding their success.

Corpekata

Banned
The only game I'd expect similar treatment for for sure is probably ReCore since it's not MP and it's also a third party dev. The other third party stuff has MP, though I'm not sure how big of a focus it is in Scalebound, so maybe that too.

SOR5

The only game I'd expect similar treatment for for sure is probably ReCore since it's not MP and it's also a third party dev. The other third party stuff has MP, though I'm not sure how big of a focus it is in Scalebound, so maybe that too.

I noticed that Ori and D4 and QB are up from Microsoft on Steam

They all have "no multiplayer" in common

I hadn't thought of that! I might wait up to a year if there's a slight chance for Recore and Scalebound to come out on something other than the Windows store.

JarrodL

Woah, unexpected (but pleasant) news. Will certainly pick it up on Steam.

I wonder if Steam version will now also run on Windows 7 instead of W10 only.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Let me get this straight. You install it through dvd's and redeem a steam code as DRM, right? Does that mean if I lose the dvd's down the road the key is still tied to my steam library and I can download it instead, right?

Let me get this straight. You install it through dvd's and redeem a steam code as DRM, right? Does that mean if I lose the dvd's down the road the key is still tied to my steam library and I can download it instead, right?

If it's anything like Steam previous retail releases you can just toss the DVDs and enter the code. The discs are just there to help with low/limited bandwidth.

Knurek

Indeed. In fact, I'm hardly the most ardent defender of UWP around, but I can't really think of a reason why it would significantly affect performance one way or another.

Features, compatibility, moddability, preservation? Sure.
Performance? Nah.

Isn't borderless window usually 2-3% slower than exclusive fullscreen?
Also, the DX11 render has some potential speedups, especially for NVIDIA cards (provided a game ready driver version gets made).

So it was a huge flop?

“When we started the project we weren’t aware of Windows 10,” says a source. “We were going to ship on Xbox One initially and then we wanted to come out on PC at a later point, most likely though Steam. But we got burnt quite badly.”

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am excited in that I am hopeful that this means Remedy will patch the PC version to be much more playable.

This could mean that....

right?

Mifec

Yes, you can just enter the key and download off steam too if you don't want to install through discs.

Top Bottom