• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break coming to Steam and Retail on 9/14

the problems with the renderer looked like they were centered around it being made for the xbone and hastily ported to UWP, i don't think porting it to win32 would fix anything on its own

They've had a good amount of months to fix those issues, though. Whether or not they have remains to be seen.

Nzyme32

1470845574-qb.jpg

Someone didn't paid attention when choosing their trailer :")

Wouldn't be surprised if you have to have an Xbox Live account to play (free account), and there is some kind of launcher thrown in even on Win 7.

Only paid 25 for the W10 version but I think I'll wait for a price drop and get the Steam version. Hope more games from W10 store come to steam, UWP is so bad.

Holy mother of God, very nice!

On a sidenote, Microsoft should really, really consider integrating into Steam similar to how Ubisoft is doing. Buying their games on Steam but require "activation" via the Windows Store, it would help their games so much.

That's not possible. Steam does not sell Windows 10 apps and considering Gabe's reaction to Windows 8 apps (it lead to the creation of SteamOS and Linux Steam) they likely never will.

Very smart move MS, very Smart. Now release more games on Steam, cause your store sucks.

Also, will this version pass over achievements via xbox live? Will we be able to link our Live accounts to steam soon? I don't understand why they just don't partner with steam, they would make a killing with the IP's between X1 and Steam sales.

vg260

Very smart move MS, very Smart. Now release more games on Steam, cause your store sucks.

Also, will this version pass over achievements via xbox live? Will we be able to link our Live accounts to steam soon? I don't understand why they just don't partner with steam, they would make a killing with the IP's between X1 and Steam sales.

If you want it on Steam, you likely have to give up the idea of earning xbox achievements or using Xbox-specific features.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As per the dev/beta subs, the game was uploaded to Steam only a month (and some change) after release.

That's not possible. Steam does not sell Windows 10 apps and considering Gabe's reaction to Windows 8 apps (it lead to the creation of SteamOS and Linux Steam) they likely never will.

Strictly speaking, the only requirement is that one's Steam app must be linked to an executable. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Microsoft's WinStore games are linked to a Win32 version of the Xbox app that acts as a launcher for the games as WinStore apps.

Edit: Oh, wait, the Win7 compatibility makes this rather unlikely.

Megaton. I honestly never expected this. Now I suppose I'm going to be second-guessing all the Windows 10 PC ports from here on, wondering if I should wait for a Steam version.

AU Tiger

Great news and I'm a fan of choice

But I wonder if theres a certain criteria to be met at MS to merit a Steam version

What happens to Win10?
What happens to Play Anywhere?
What happens to cross play?
What happens to cross save?
Is there any connection to Xbox or is it just severed off completely?

Things I'm curious to see

Im totally okay with a game having features like this stripped out of it in exchange for win32 compatibility.

As long as I'm given the choice of which platform to buy on (steam vs Win store) based on if I want features like that or not.

If you want it on Steam, you likely have to give up the idea of earning xbox achievements or using Xbox-specific features.

Personally I don't mind this but I know others do, collecting Steam Achievements is pretty fun especially if you're going for 100%

I just hope that this means that they will do additional work on the game's performance. Support for Windows 7 / DX11 sounds promising.

I genuinely cant see it doing well on Steam either. The stench of a poor port and Windows store early exclusivity pretty much killed any chance it had on the PC.

EmiPrime

I thought the game parts were average at best and the live action scenes were a total snooze. The Giant Bomb review was right on the money.

Leonidas

Glad that it'll be on Steam, I already played/beat the UWP version though.

Looking forward to see if there are any substantial performance improvements over the UWP version.

Cels

damn the retail version gives you a steam copy too which is nice

if they fix performance (seems they allow you to turn off the upscaling now which makes performance terrible) i'm all over this

GavinUK86

I genuinely cant see it doing well on Steam either. The stench of a poor port and Windows store early exclusivity pretty much killed any chance it had on the PC.

i completely 100% disagree. i think a lot of people will buy this just to support the decision. i've already seen comments on here saying it.

Wouldn't be surprised if you have to have an Xbox Live account to play (free account), and there is some kind of launcher thrown in even on Win 7.

Awesome, I haven't installed a useless launcher since the Epic one!

Even if they do, odds are that someone will mod it out within a day.

damn the retail version gives you a steam copy too which is nice

if they fix performance and actually render at native resolution i'm all over this

That's what PC retail games have done since like 2012 or so, you always get a key for Steam, Origin or Uplay (and you can't sell the game because of this). I don't think Windows 10 store even supports installing from a disc because it's supposed to be a tablet app store.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The Steam version was worked on rather frequently from late May through to the middle of July (there are dozens of QB-specific changenumbers), so there's a good chance that this release will coincide with a new patch.

Sulik2

Unexpected. I wonder if Remedy had something in there contract that if the UWP didn't sell enough copies they got to release on Steam?

Brilliant! Hope this happens with all MS exclussives going forward!

Also, I really hope they let Insomniac port Sunset Overdrive over to PC/Steam, since that was another title they sent out to die that could find new life with a wider PC audience.

RedSwirl

So what's good about the game other than being a third person shooter?

Come to think of it I still need to give Alan Wake another chance. Played it totally the wrong way the first time around and had a frustrating experience, eventually just getting bored in the middle of that first DLC.

I liked the action in Max Payne 1 &2 though.

Sydle

Unexpected. I wonder if Remedy had something in there contract that if the UWP didn't sell enough copies they got to release on Steam?

If they owned the IP I could see that being the case, but MS owns it so I highly doubt MS would have built something like that into the contract.

NeoRaider

But isn't this game DX12 only? That's what MS said.
Will there be any difference on Windows 7/8 compared to the W10??

Was the current implementation of UWP even a thing back in ~2011 when the deal for the game was getting inked? Going off Remedy's push for Alan Wake on PC I wonder if Steam was already in the cards and was just delayed once the Xbox on Win 10 initiative kicked off.

Chris1

Don't forget QB has been in development since like 2012. UWP wasn't really in the picture then.

QB going to steam might not mean much for the other games due to how long QB was in development for, if it was part of Remedy's contract with MS, MS might not have cared back then as their Win10 initiative hadn't started or anything at that point, now with their Win10 goals they might not allow Steam releases at all.

Gonna be interesting how it all plays out but I don't think QB is indicative of anything yet.

John Wick

Damn I wish I could go back in time and not bought the code(cheap)for the windows store. I could have easily waited for this

Top Bottom