• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break first Review by Jim Sterling

That's that Dark Souls karma.

Two weeks of shitting on Souls, Son! Wanna try for three?! HMMM?!

Was a honest mistake. I don't have an XB1, but this game looks to be right up my alley.
You don't need an XB1 to play this.

Solid first review, I was hoping for a 90+ meta but this will probably be closer to 85. Still hyped.

big fake

I know a lot of people swear by his reviews but i think the bloke is a total bellend, so will wait for other sources before deciding on a purchase.
This. If this guy doesn't hold any clout with his opinions on gaming, his views are skewed and all over the place.

ethomaz

Banned
I'll probably go back to it one day. I was a bit washed out on the ND formula of gameplay when I played it.

My backlog is just so huge....and then I want to play new games too, like QB on Tuesday.
TLOU has one of the best gameplay formula I ever played.

It shines even more in the MP that is something unique.

I'll probably go back to it one day. I was a bit washed out on the ND formula of gameplay when I played it.

My backlog is just so huge....and then I want to play new games too, like QB on Tuesday.

I didnt finish it either but for different reasons (hate zombie/mutation creatures and stealth), however I don't think TLOU falls into ND's old formula at all, very different in tone and pacing.

This is 100% correct. My review is already done and ready for the embargo but I think its safe to say that there will be conversation about this in particular when the reviews come out.

I would simply consider anyone saying "it's a cover shooter" shitposting.

SomTervo

I feel you. Whenever you come back to it - enjoy.

And yeah, the classic 'buy new game even though you have four games going on' thing.

You don't need an XB1 to play this.

Solid first review, I was hoping for a 90+ meta but this will probably be closer to 85. Still hyped.

Alan Wake got an 83 on PC and Xbox 360. An 8.5 from Jim, combined with him praising the story elements? I think we're in business.

It looks like the TV stuff didn't add anything to the experience more like actually hurt it. Not really surprised though, they should have used the old fashioned animated CG.
Didn't get that impression from Jim Sterling's review, just that it ends abruptly. I mean, look at all this praise for the TV show and explaining how it deals with the characters better with more development.

What’s more, Remedy even bothered to give us a convincing narrative reason for what is usually a shoehorned “moral choice” system. Nicely done!

What impresses me most about Remedy’s work here is how unafraid it is to slow the place. While so many games nervously attempt to keep a high-octane degree of endless violence and explosions, Quantum is quite happy to spend large amounts of time just guiding the player through quiet sections where only exposition and world building are on offer.

Nowhere is this confident storytelling more apparent than with Quantum Break the live-action show.

In between the game’s five major acts, Quantum becomes a television program, and I’m not just talking about a few live-action cutscenes. These are full-on shows, long enough for you to make and eat a sandwich with minutes to spare, that revolve around a number of key characters within Monarch itself.

Predominantly focused on rogue enforcer Liam Burke, the story of the show interweaves with – and is directly influenced by – the gameplay.

Shockingly, these shows are not the kind of cringe-inducing, poorly constructed embarrassments that usually typify gaming’s ill-advised past forays into live-action. Thanks to its cast of genuinely good actors, a script written by people who are writers rather than programmers, and even decent direction, Quantum Break‘s show is actually enjoyable.

Its special effects are lacking, and costume design leaves much to be desired (Monarch soldiers quite silly in real life), but I’d say the show is on par with high-end Internet video shows. It matches the kind of YouTube serials with impressive production values – not quite good enough for prime time TV, but definitely entertaining and slickly crafted enough to buy into as a viewer.

A gratifying side effect of this televisual dabbling is a cast of support characters who are more fleshed out and realized than your typical videogame dialogue spouter. Characters like Charlie Wincott and Fiona Miller have their own unique arcs with the kind of character depth most action games just don’t have time for.

This is a game that makes the effort to set up establishing character moments, scenes of personal lives, and other humanizing elements where most others can’t stagger beyond the “angry white dude avenging a dead family member” premise.

Which is funny, because that premise is in Remedy’s latest, and it’s actually done fairly well.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
8.5/10 is a very good score. Disappointed that the ending seems to fall flat despite the game being good leading up to the end. Oh well.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Great score!!! April 5th come the fk on!

Justinh

It's to late Jim. This is the internet, we never forget.

xgepYdO.gif

It's never too late... when you're a Ninja Block™.

This thread would also be 50 pages of fake concern, drive by 'ouch' posts by people with nate drake avatars and a bunch of defense force damage control by now.

I still feel like that's coming, all it takes is one 6, even if the the reception is otherwise extremely positive.

Justinh

Wait, do you only get a W10 code of you but directly from Xbox? How much will the game cost on the Windows Store?

Just guessing, but I'm assuming you can buy it on the W10 store when it's released and I'm assuming it'll be 60 dollars just like Rise of the Tomb Raider is.

lol Jim. Love the responses at the start of the thread. Eager to see what other reviewers think too, this game looked really interesting when it was first shown off.

Those people that didn't like Alan Wake's ending,
It's not an ending, it's a beginning.
I need Quantum Break in my life, hoping beyond hope that Poets of the Fall did a song for Remedy again- as they did with Alan Wake and Max Payne 2.

flozuki

For German-GAF. Besides small videogame stores even supermarkets like Kaufland (wtf^^) are already selling Quantum Break :D

Thread still going, huh? :)

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet (still need to get through the whole thread) but Microsoft was cool about my fucking up.

Saved!

The Xbox One may have failed to live up to its dreams of being a cross-media entertainment portal, but we got Quantum Break out of it, and that’s just fine by me.

It was all worth it for this 8.5 game guys. Congratulations Microsoft. You nailed it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What did Jim give The Last of Us? I'm seeing a Destuctoid review for 10/10 and an Escapist one for 9/10. Which is it?
Oh never mind, the Escapist one is the remastered version.

etta

my hard graphic balls
He gave the original a 10, and the Remaster a 9.
And GTA 5 a 9, Alan Wake a 9. Uncharted 2 a 9.5.
Hmmmm, so Quantum Break is almost as good as these games, a bit more for Uncharted 2 and more for The Last of Us.
Pretty solid, then.

Top Bottom