• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

DMTripper

Mmmm not really sure what to make of the reviews. Seems like one of those games I'll keep an eye on and get a bit cheaper down the road. Also as on PC i will wait for some more PC impressions.

roytheone

Wow, don't think I've seen such a wild variation in scores before. From 9/10's down to 6/10's and some 2/5's thrown in for good measure.

Still can't wait to try it out.

I think that's an encouraging thing. I find games that get around a 75 metascore because of a wide range of scores more interesting then games that just got a lot of 75 scores.

So you say mediocre gameplay is ok, as long as the story is good and the way it is brought is 'experimental' (spoiler: QBs tv show does not differ a lot from stuff like the walking dead, except being it live action accentuates for me how mediocre the screenplay, direction and acting is), and a great game gameplaywise should be panned because it doesn't try anything new narratively?

No, I do not say that.

Games like twd and gone home at least succeed in some way to use the game medium to tell the story in an unique way and succeed in making you care for the characters. Games like uncharted and especially TLOU get acclaimed because they succeed in combining great gameplay with good to great stories, that also try to use the medium to tell those stories (think about how the bond between ellie and joel grows during small interactive moments in the record,store for instance, or the optional little conversation. QB fleshes its characters and world out in overlong mails you skip reading after a while because they aren't actually riveting, so they become just useless 'collectibles' after a short time). Thing is, QB despite all it's experiments just felt really, really old fashioned in it's storytelling.... The 'new' is just smoke and mirrors covering up concepts we've seen in games for a very long time now. Concepts that other games allready did better or expanded upon.

Fair enough -- depending on the review, such as Kotaku's, some say QB did a better job than others. However, if the assessment is that, essentially, every part of what QB did is just not that good, then no, I don't think it deserves higher scores than it did. I have multiple disclaimers to that effect even.

Like I said, mine was an emotional -- not fully rational -- response. A paranoid one, perhaps. I can only rationally evaluate the reviews that way once I play the game myself.

QB set out to do something new, but didn't succeed, so some reviewers take note and give lower scores. It is not that they are against narrative driven games in any way (see gone home, see tlou, see life is strange), it is just that those games are actually very good, while QB (imo) is not.

Actually on those titles I will have to argue a little bit with you. Gone Home is a tiny indie game. It got a great critical reception (IMO, honestly, not really deserved; I'm all for narrative, but GH was just bare-bones otherwise), but that's because it's a cute little cheap indie game. When it comes to high-budget games, reviewers tend to place far more importance on mechanics/gameplay than narrative... indies are viewed differently. OK, yes, TLoU was a AAA game that well received critically, but that's a game that did everything well -- narrative wasn't the overriding focus of its excellence; it had graphics, gameplay, narrative, length, even multiplayer. As for LiS, it didn't get particularly great scores; it is actually a good example of emotion and narrative not getting the same credit as tight mechanics and slick graphics, when the price is closer to full-price (LiS is episodic but expensive).

zsynqx

I don't think Uncharted 4 will be a masterpiece. Though whatever Naughty Dog make next might be. We on the 4th game and unless it does something majorly different it will be recieved the same as most numbered entries, better than most numbered games, but still get the same ol' same ol'. Iconic maybe. Masterpiece no. The only groundbreaking game I see now is Crackdown 3 and that could go either way at this point.

They are doing a lot to shake things up this time around.

vcc

But those mediocre games you listed almost all got trashed by reviewers especially Homefront.

I'm just saying, our selective memories are why we feel game NOW are worse than BEFORE. It's mostly we are seeing the whole bell curve of a very short 'NOW' and remembering only the top half of a very long 'BEFORE'.

Peterpan

This post is wrong in legitimately 6 ways right off the bat .
It's fine if you disagree with me and I might be right off the mark. That's ok with me, it's just my opinion. I already went off topic with that post, don't want to do it any further.

I don't think Uncharted 4 will be a masterpiece. Though whatever Naughty Dog make next might be. We on the 4th game and unless it does something majorly different it will be recieved the same as most numbered entries, better than most numbered games, but still get the same ol' same ol'. Iconic maybe. Masterpiece no. The only groundbreaking game I see now is Crackdown 3 and that could go either way at this point.

waSRHdT.gif

Ishan

I'm just saying, our selective memories are why we feel game NOW are worse than BEFORE. It's mostly we are seeing the whole bell curve of a very short 'NOW' and remembering only the top half of a very long 'BEFORE'.
Eh perfectly normal the medium is maturing and so now it's harder for something to be "amazing" and " innovative" comes with maturity of a medium

nib95

Banned
I feel like there was some kind of cosmic shift a few years back where reviewers grew some balls and stopped giving almost every major game an 8 or higher. A lot of high scoring but unremarkable PS360 era games would have been rated much lower if this had happened sooner, imo.

Completely agree with this. Not even sure what prompted it.

They aren't industry iconic titles though. Though most you just mentioned I loved they aren't really pushing this gen. In a weird way it feels like they are elevating for momentary bumps.
Its odd. But again not saying they lack in excellence but there is that X factor that none have yet.

Might that simply be because it's much harder to deliver truly ground breaking and/or innovative experiences these days? We've had decades of games now, covering so much ground, and as a result new releases have sort of morphed towards occupying specific pre-determined genres or sub-genres, where you sort of know what to expect, and where there is a lot of overlapping in gameplay structures.

In that sense, whilst Bloodborne for example certainly isn't ground breaking, and doesn't necessarily push the gen forward, I'm not sure that lack of innovation ought to be enough to prevent it from being considered in that masterclass level. Ultimately for me personally, it's so expertly paced, designed, refined and put together, that it overcomes that aspect. Though I appreciate it's still not to everyone's taste, and others might feel differently.

Why this and Bloodborne discussion are even a part of a Quantum Break review thread is not something I can wrap my head around.

danowat

Banned
Another game, another load of mixed reviews, I am increasingly thinking that reviews are becoming less and less relevant.

I enjoyed AW, I don't mind linear games, even though they aren't de rigueur, so I might give this a punt....

Card Boy

Banned
I trust Remedy. All their games are awesome (not including iOS crap). I have no doubt this will be amazing like Alan Wake and the Max Payne games are. Remedy's games ooze atmosphere and have great story telling and characters, i think this will be worth more to me than what the current scores are.

Off topic, but its probably the best place to ask.

I cant seem to find the right place to preorder quantum break on pc. Can anyone help me out?
It's a Windows 10 Store exclusive. Do you have Win10?

I don't think they outnumbered the good ones. It wasn't until towards the end of last generation that we saw a pattern of average to bad AAA games.

Ultimately for me personally, it's so expertly paced, designed, refined and put together, that it overcomes that aspect. Though I appreciate it's still not to everyone's taste, and others might feel differently.

And, just to offer another perspective, I appreciate these qualities of Bloodborne, but I don't like the game. Ditto Dark Souls etc. Lord have I tried! But they're not for me.

Now, show me H5 Arena and I'm saying what you're saying above, even if it has a few flaws here and there, the gameplay at its heart speaks to me loud and clear.

But anyway, back OT: reminds me, as above, of Alan Wake reviews. Hell, it reminds me of 'reviews in general'. I've never particularly enjoyed GTA, but it gets stellar reviews. What does that mean? Bla bla bla.

golem

Off topic, but its probably the best place to ask.

I cant seem to find the right place to preorder quantum break on pc. Can anyone help me out?

I dont think its on the Windows Store yet.

If you preorder the xbox one version you get the windows version for free however. (Although I do note that they only promise to send out codes sometime next week not necessarily on release date)

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...ad2-4cc8-8cfc-6f213b808b4f#gameDetailsSection

AHA-Lambda

As much as I am looking forward to UC4, I agree with this.

Not the crackdown comment though :/

Not really. This gen reviews are way stricter.

Fallout 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs... I dunno, man. I also felt MGS V scores were way too inflated considering the shortcomings it had. These outlets still don't have the balls to knock down large AAA releases for their problems.

I take that as a good sign :D

I was one of those weirdos that never grew tired AW's gunplay and mechanics. Idk why, but they were just really tight and fun for me.

You are right. Alan Wake was and is divisive.

Maybe I shouldn't write this one off so quickly after all.

Theorry

Fallout 4, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs... I dunno, man. I also felt MGS V scores were way too inflated considering the shortcoming it had. These outlets still don't have the balls to knock down large AAA releases for their problems.

Like i said above. Not perfect yet.

Fat4all

Banned
Alan Wakes biggest problem wasn't it's reviews, let me tell ya.

Alan Wakes biggest problem was releasing on the same day as Red Dead Redemption.

Ishan

Slightly off topic but has anyone done a embargo before release 's metacritic scores study / aggregate (plus for first party titles etc) an early embargo shows confidence but is there any real correlation ?

Chobel

Slightly off topic but has anyone done a embargo before release 's metacritic scores study / aggregate (plus for first party titles etc) an early embargo shows confidence but is there any real correlation ?

I wouldn't call it a study, but every game which did an early embargo got very positive reviews, +85 in metacritic. At least that's what I remember.

Ain't that review already in the OP?

Tricked me too, the one in OP is IBTimes.

75GB of video to download is stupid. They should have offered three different qualities for people to choose between.

Otherwise the game is looking good, I'll probably pick it up this summer.

It's a Windows 10 Store exclusive. Do you have Win10

Yeah i have windows 10.

I dont think its on the Windows Store yet.

If you preorder the xbox one version you get the windows version for free however. (Although I do note that they only promise to send out codes sometime next week not necessarily on release date)

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...ad2-4cc8-8cfc-6f213b808b4f#gameDetailsSection

Weird. So no way to have it preinstalled for launch? booooooo!!!

BBboy20

Ok, the first reviews I saw make it sound like Remedy has fallen from grace but going by what I'm seeing, that doesn't seem to be the case, at least.

Top Bottom