• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

How long is it? I hear it's incredibly short, so I'm not too sure I want to spend £37 on it if so.

I've repeatedly seen estimates like 10-12 hours, which doesn't sound "incredibly" short to me.

Granted this apparently includes several episodes (20 minutes each, I believe) of a rather lengthy TV show. There are, like, 4-5 of those?

Alan Wake is a much better game than Quantum Break IMO. Much Better.

Yowza.... That would not be a good feeling for me. Honestly, Alan Wake... ugh.

nib95

Banned
I know this is not necessarily pro consumer or gamer, but I do feel that from a business perspective, it might have been better for Remedy to have an embargo date closer to the release. I feel like some of these reviews may negatively impact sales, especially when it's early enough that there's still time for people to cancel pre orders.

In a gaming world where I feel far too much is moving towards open world design and experiences, I sort of have a vested interest in the success of linear, story driven games such as this, which I tend to very much enjoy, and that better suit my lifestyle, where a few hours of play a day for a few days to a week, is sufficient to beat a game, instead of weeks or months. That said, I still think the ideal length for a game like this is closer to 12-15 hours. Hopefully the game still does really well sales wise.

danowat

Banned
75GB of video to download is stupid. They should have offered three different qualities for people to choose between.

Otherwise the game is looking good, I'll probably pick it up this summer.

You don't have to download it, you can opt to stream the video instead.

I've repeatedly seen estimates like 10-12 hours, which doesn't sound "incredibly" short to me.

Granted this apparently includes several episodes (20 minutes each, I believe) of a rather lengthy TV show. There are, like, 4-5 of those?

My rushed normal difficulty playthrough with all cutscenes (no skip) clocked at 8 hours 45 minutes, a first playthrough with exploration definitely will be at least 1.5-2 hours longer.

In a gaming world where I feel far too much is moving towards open world design and experiences, I sort of have a vested interest in the success of linear, story driven games such as this, which I tend to very much enjoy, and that better suit my lifestyle, where a few hours of play a day for a few days to a week, is sufficient to beat a game, instead of weeks or months. Hopefully the game still does really well sales wise.

I feel you... I feel you.

Zojirushi

Giant Bomb 2/5?

I will look forward to the discussion on next weeks Bombcast for sure.

Depends, if Jeffs gonna be the only one who played it it's just gonna be him taking a huge dump on the game and a lot of "That's a bummer" from everyone else.

Fat4all

Banned
I know this is not necessarily pro consumer or gamer, but I do feel that from a business perspective, it might have been better for Remedy to have an embargo date closer to the release. I feel like some of these reviews may negatively impact sales, especially when it's early enough that there's still time for people to cancel pre orders.

In a gaming world where I feel far too much is moving towards open world design and experiences, I sort of have a vested interest in the success of linear, story driven games such as this, which I tend to very much enjoy, and that better suit my lifestyle, where a few hours of play a day for a few days to a week, is sufficient to beat a game, instead of weeks or months. Hopefully the game still does really well sales wise.

There's always a risk when it comes to an embargo date either close or far from a launch.

It sucks to say, but I think having the game net under 80 MC before launch might hurt its day one sales, I feel like mainstream buyers are a little more shallow when it comes to review scores.

Joohanh

I don't think it's a shift either. I think it's classic familiarity-breeds-contempt.

Halo 1: Wow... this is innovative, amazing.

Halo 2: Wow, OK, that campaign was a little off, but WHOA, this multiplayer component online is on another level!

Halo 3: A polished campaign, an extra-polished online multiplayer, a level editor, sharing... WOW!!! This is the most complete shooter ever! Nothing too new going on, but you'd have to be a dick to claim this is just Halo 2 with better graphics.

Halo: Reach: A sweet refinement. Nice new coop mode; well done. If you like Halo, you'll like this.

Halo 4: Solid stuff... same old gameplay you're used to. If you like Halo, you'll like this.

Halo 5: Solid stuff... same old gameplay you're used to. If you like Halo, you'll like this.

Halo 6: <guessing> Solid stuff... same old gameplay you're used to. If you like Halo, you'll like this.

I mean, eventually, you just get used to it, and unless devs find a way to add new -- and successful! -- ideas, the same stuff won't impress you like it used to. Scores just reflect that IMO.

I pray that Uncharted, for example, finds a way out of this pattern. Fortunately, they're only 2 games removed from their masterpiece in that series. I refuse to believe that they cannot do better than U2. Uncharted 3 was obviously just an Uncharted 2.5 type of effort in terms of game design.

Indies still innovate, but honestly AAAs seem to either have run out of ideas or just don't want to risk it anymore. Nowadays it seems like "let's put our linear series into an open world" is as far as they're willing to go most of the time.

I think you're pretty much spot on here. It doesn't, nor should it, suffice for awesome scores if the game is a little bit better than all the games that came before.

In a gaming world where I feel far too much is moving towards open world design and experiences, I sort of have a vested interest in the success of linear, story driven games such as this, which I tend to very much enjoy, and that better suit my lifestyle, where a few hours of play a day for a few days to a week, is sufficient to beat a game, instead of weeks or months. That said, I still think the ideal length for a game like this is closer to 12-15 hours. Hopefully the game still does really well sales wise.

Early embargo is about faith in getting great reviews.

nib95

Banned
Early embargo is about faith in getting great reviews.

I get that, but I think Remedy could have exercised slightly better foresight here. Even taking the gameplay out of the equation, I think there was always going to be some divisiveness regarding the live action cut scenes alone. I watched a fair degree of footage over the last week, and even though I'm very much keeping my pre order and excited to play the game, its clear not everyone will warm to these aspects of the game. There's a lot more 'watching' than is typical of even story based shooters.

I do commend Remedy for having such an early embargo, I'm just not sure if it will have actually benefited them. I fear instead it may have likely done the opposite.

I think you're pretty much spot on here. It doesn't, nor should it, suffice for awesome scores if the game is a little bit better than all the games that came before.

It's a little unfair on sequels, though: original games make the big splash, and then when sequels refine and add to it, it can never be as OMFG amazing, even as the design might be cleverer, the refinements well-judged, etc. But the game itself, less revelatory but perhaps 'better', is seen in a lesser light. Is that fair? Not referring to Halo specifically here.

Anyway, sorry, back OT.

madmackem

So you'd rather normal people be ill informed on a game because ?.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Reviews remind me of Until Dawn impressions/scores. If it's anything near that quality, I'm ready for this.

Introvese

Banned
Originally Posted by Introvese

I don't think they should have gave codes out like this. MS/Remedy should have protected this game better than this. This damn game better be good. Because if April 1 hit and it's reviews are just okay. U got 4 days to change your mind. Also a mediocre review might sway a gamer on the fence to stay away.

I'm just saying with all this resolution stuff. A mediocre review 4 days before the game comes out is not a good look. It's already barely any marketing for this game. All this negative resolution talk and a ok review could be really bad for this game.

As a consumer hell yea I want review/impressions early as possible. But if I was MS I would have played this more close to the chest.

my posts march 22

It feels like you're using a lot of words to say a lot of nothing.

now do u see why i thought this was a bad idea to give codes out so early or lift the embargo 4 days before release?

More divisive than I thought. A lot of it seems to be the cutscenes. I wonder if that was ultimately a mistake. I'm excited none the less!

Theorry

I don't think they should have gave codes out like this. MS/Remedy should have protected this game better than this. This damn game better be good. Because if April 1 hit and it's reviews are just okay. U got 4 days to change your mind. Also a mediocre review might sway a gamer on the fence to stay away.

I'm just saying with all this resolution stuff. A mediocre review 4 days before the game comes out is not a good look. It's already barely any marketing for this game. All this negative resolution talk and a ok review could be really bad for this game.

As a consumer hell yea I want review/impressions early as possible. But if I was MS I would have played this more close to the chest.

my posts march 22

now do u see why i thought this was a bad idea to give codes out so early or lift the embargo 4 days before release?

Wut?

Joohanh

It's a little unfair on sequels, though: original games make the big splash, and then when sequels refine and add to it, it can never be as OMFG amazing, even as the design might be cleverer, the refinements well-judged, etc. But the game itself, less revelatory but perhaps 'better', is seen in a lesser light. Is that fair? Not referring to Halo specifically here.

Anyway, sorry, back OT.

Yeah, I think so at least. The original game got well-deserved credit for innovation; the sequel then cashed in on that and made improvements. While there is nothing wrong with sequels, their "extrinsic artistic merit" is lesser than that of the original title.

nib95

Banned
So you'd rather normal people be ill informed on a game because ?.

I'd rather people give it a go, to judge and experience it for themselves, instead of too heavily relying on someone else's subjective opinion, especially with a game as divisive as this.

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
TL;DR Remedy shouldn't have gone with an early embargo, these reviews could negatively affect sales.

I don't see giving the consumer more time to think things over to make an informed decision as something negative, unless you're some MS/Remedy stock holder suit.

PaulloDEC

Weird to think that a game with a review distribution like this:

bqMb.png

...is generating as much concern as we're seeing in this thread.

Kudo

Game seems still good but hearing that campaign length is going to make me want to wait for sales.
60$ just for 6 hours isn't that great, then again if the game is great I wouldn't regret it but I expected little more to keep me occupied until DS3..

Top Bottom