• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

holygeesus

Banned
It worked awhile ago..... But it's been a long time since I've done it..... So hoping the work around still works lol

I set console region to NZ, time to Auckland and then download the game from the NZ store

Think you'll find it is tied to the region you bought from.

Mufc1427

Will do. Felt like that was the better idea anyways!

Personally I loved the story. Played through it in one sitting yesterday. I haven't read any reviews (only saw the scores), so I'm not too sure what everybody else is saying, but I thought the pacing was excellent. The game constantly kept the story going with minimum downtime, while still maintaining a strong sense of cohesion. The game has a nice climax, and the last act really pulls the whole story together in many of the ways that you would expect a time travel story to do.

While the game felt like a decent length (not too sure how long I played, but I would definitely say somewhere around 8 hours?), it never truly felt like it was running too long, which is something that I did feel while playing Alan Wake despite absolutely loving that game. Stories in videogames are what I look for above everything else, and this game definitely delivered in that department. However, I am not overly critical, and am usually entertained by anything as long as it is decently put together. On that note, I was not looking for any continuity problems (as many people do with time travel stories), and because of this, I generally found myself loving the story and the characters throughout my time playing it.

If I did have to mention a weak point, I would definitely say that some of the characters feel underdeveloped until the very end of the game. The plot is definitely laid on in the last couple of hours, and while the story is strong throughout, it is really those last two hours or so that bring the game together.

Also absolutely loved the TV episodes! Enjoyed the acting for what it was and actually found myself entertained by them the entire time, despite hearing some criticisms of them! They are definitely worth watching, and I probably will do so again when I begin my second playthrough today. There really are some great moments in them, with one of the episodes actually being my personal favourite thing in the entire game just due to the pure epicness of what was going on.

EDIT: Also like any time travel story, I am sure this game will GREATLY benefit by playing through it a second time. They throw a good amount of names and terms at you, and some of the dialogue actually happens during combat sequences. Also, piecing together the storyline will be much easier for some people after you know the order or backstory to some of the events in the game.
Sounds good. Thanks for the impressions.

Will do. Felt like that was the better idea anyways!

Personally I loved the story. Played through it in one sitting yesterday. I haven't read any reviews (only saw the scores), so I'm not too sure what everybody else is saying, but I thought the pacing was excellent. The game constantly kept the story going with minimum downtime, while still maintaining a strong sense of cohesion. The game has a nice climax, and the last act really pulls the whole story together in many of the ways that you would expect a time travel story to do.

While the game felt like a decent length (not too sure how long I played, but I would definitely say somewhere around 8 hours?), it never truly felt like it was running too long, which is something that I did feel while playing Alan Wake despite absolutely loving that game. Stories in videogames are what I look for above everything else, and this game definitely delivered in that department. However, I am not overly critical, and am usually entertained by anything as long as it is decently put together. On that note, I was not looking for any continuity problems (as many people do with time travel stories), and because of this, I generally found myself loving the story and the characters throughout my time playing it.

If I did have to mention a weak point, I would definitely say that some of the characters feel underdeveloped until the very end of the game. The plot is definitely laid on in the last couple of hours, and while the story is strong throughout, it is really those last two hours or so that bring the game together.

Also absolutely loved the TV episodes! Enjoyed the acting for what it was and actually found myself entertained by them the entire time, despite hearing some criticisms of them! They are definitely worth watching, and I probably will do so again when I begin my second playthrough today. There really are some great moments in them, with one of the episodes actually being my personal favourite thing in the entire game just due to the pure epicness of what was going on.

EDIT: Also like any time travel story, I am sure this game will GREATLY benefit by playing through it a second time. They throw a good amount of names and terms at you, and some of the dialogue actually happens during combat sequences. Also, piecing together the storyline will be much easier for some people after you know the order or backstory to some of the events in the game.

Good to hear. One of my only issues with alan wake are the rediculously long levels

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I'm actually really excited to play a level watch an episode to say and then play another one it's actually kind of a cool idea and I'm actually kind of interested for the fact that it's the first game to ever do it

Why would they do that? You could just resell the code. Cross-buy is only a standard for digital, and you can get cross-buy if you buy it from the Xbox Store.
Not sure why you're expecting to get technically two SKUs for the price of one.
Didn't Portal 2 ps3 come with a PC code?

robotrock

Banned
At some point I will finish Alan Wake. I got about halfway through Chapter 3 and then stopped. The pacing in that game is a little whack.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I'm actually really excited to play a level watch an episode to say and then play another one it's actually kind of a cool idea and I'm actually kind of interested for the fact that it's the first game to ever do it

I welcome new ideas for storytelling.

Finished this today for the first time and had a really fun ride with it.

Enjoyed the story for the most part although I don't feel they nailed the ending. Not sure if there are multiple endings or not but I will be playing back through to see if I can alter the story to go in another direction.

My biggest gripe was the final boss encounter being a little bland.

Had some streaming issues at times with the TV stuff on my 50mb connection. Load times are rough as well

The Flash

Banned
OT is going to be pretty bare bones considering I'm doing it last minute and I don't want to put too much information that could spoil something for someone. The structure will be as follows:

General Info
What is Quantum Break?
Story
Characters*
Jack Joyce
Paul Serene
William Joyce
Martin Hatch​
*I cannont find anything concrete about Beth Wilder
Gameplay
Time Powers - Jack Joyce
Junctions in Time - Paul Serene​
Trailers
GIFS

OT is going to be pretty bare bones considering I'm doing it last minute and I don't want to put too much information that could spoil something for someone. The structure will be as follows:

General Info
What is Quantum Break?
Story
Characters*
Jack Joyce
Paul Serene
William Joyce
Martin Hatch​
*I cannont find anything concrete about Beth Wilder
Gameplay
Time Powers - Jack Joyce
Junctions in Time - Paul Serene​
Trailers
GIFS

Beth's identity:
Apparently a sympathizer within Monarch Solutions, an possible ally for Jack? Much of her is remained to be seen.

Beth's identity:
Apparently a sympathizer within Monarch Solutions, an possible ally for Jack? Much of her is remained to be seen.

Beth Wilder is a critical part of the QB story. She is played by the actress Courtney Hope. Beth works for Monarch but has her own agenda and you can get a bit of understanding of the dynamics with Jack by watching the trailers...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
|OT| Angry at reviews of a game I haven't played = TIME PARADOX

Make sure to read all the notes and documents you find. I feel they add to the story quite a bit so don't pass em up. Some are rather long but stick to em!

Make sure to read all the notes and documents you find. I feel they add to the story quite a bit so don't pass em up. Some are rather long but stick to em!

I definitely will. I always search for collectables and things to read, i love that kind of extra stuff.

The code from CDKeys is here and QB is installing now. After that is done....i'm going to have to wait for tuesday.

ViciousDS

Banned
I love reading the low scores and then comparing the negatives to the pros of the high ones and they are exact contradictions.

One says story sucks, narrative sucks and TV show sucks.

Another says narrative, characters and the show are fantastic and intertwine perfectly.

For me it's.....dude....it's iceman and little finger.....I'm going to fucking enjoy this showdown.....in both the live action and game.....bring it on

prag16

Banned
I hope this is live on the W10 store when I wake up Tuesday so that I can start the download, then play after work.

It's annoying that we know nothing about the PC version in particular, but in Remedy we trust. I will buy it blind. I know, I'm part of the problem.

The Flash

Banned
OT is going to be up sometime after I get off work tomorrow. I'll try to get it up at around 7 EST. Wish I could do it sooner but I've got things in the real world to take care of. iwatapleaseunderstand.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
OT is going to be up sometime after I get off work tomorrow. I'll try to get it up at around 7 EST. Wish I could do it sooner but I've got things in the real world to take care of. iwatapleaseunderstand.png
You can always add stuff to it later.

Went ahead and bought the game for delivery on day of release from Amazon. Will play it throughout the week and weekend.

Edit:

Oh as to OT titles

Quantum Break IOTI Got a fever, and the only Remedy is tIme travel

Top Bottom