• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Certinty

I have an Xbox One code to the game. What country should I redeem the code on to play the game earliest? Does it even make a difference?

Quantum Break |OT| Jumper In

409504-bigthumbnail.jpg

Altairre

The Gerstmann narrative developing in this thread is genuinely pathetic.

When the man is genuinely giddy about certain games nobody gives a damn but when he dares to have a negative opinion about the videogame you're hyped for he's suddenly this jaded and disinterested individual that should stop reviewing games.
The game obviously missed the mark with Jeff. Read the review and weigh it however you want, but the personal attacks coming from people who are obviously over-invested in the game before even playing it are just sad. Take a step back and look at what you're saying here.

Great post. Absolutely agree.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Apparently CDKeys has Quantum Break in stock now. People on reddit are receiving their codes.

Razilez

No OT yet so I'll post some small spoiler-free impressions.

Received the game yesterday and just finished the first act. Thoroughly enjoying the game, and has trademark Remedy-isms as expected :) Graphically it's beautiful and the sound is rather impressive also. Been taking my time with it and exploring the environment for information (which this game has plenty of), quite a lot to take in but I'm sure it'll sink in. Combat has been great but need to get used to the recoil on some of the automatic weapons, short bursts are much more effective otherwise the range of the hits is too large.

I remember Alan Wake also receiving mixed reviews, thing is I knew I was going to enjoy that game regardless. Remedy are a team that create unique experiences and I enjoy how they tell their stories and all the small details they put into them. As a shooter I'm enjoying it and as a narritive piece I'm intrigued. It's early days of course but despite the mixed reviews I'm enjoying the game for what it is. A solid, entertaining shooter with some beautiful graphics and sound mixed up with a time shifting story. Will get back to it soon!

etta

my hard graphic balls
No OT yet so I'll post some small spoiler-free impressions.

Received the game yesterday and just finished the first act. Thoroughly enjoying the game, and has trademark Remedy-isms as expected :) Graphically it's beautiful and the sound is rather impressive also. Been taking my time with it and exploring the environment for information (which this game has plenty of), quite a lot to take in but I'm sure it'll sink in. Combat has been great but need to get used to the recoil on some of the automatic weapons, short bursts are much more effective otherwise the range of the hits is too large.

I remember Alan Wake also receiving mixed reviews, thing is I knew I was going to enjoy that game regardless. Remedy are a team that create unique experiences and I enjoy how they tell their stories and all the small details they put into them. As a shooter I'm enjoying it and as a narritive piece I'm intrigued. It's early days of course but despite the mixed reviews I'm enjoying the game for what it is. A solid, entertaining shooter with some beautiful graphics and sound mixed up with a time shifting story. Will get back to it soon!
Good to hear. In five years' time we will likely look to Quantum Break as much as we are to Alan Wake now, all the while begging Remedy for a sequel :p

Impulsor

Is the only way to get this for PC, preodering the game digitally? if so, I'm done with microsoft.

I already paid in full my physical preoder.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Is the only way to get this for PC, preodering the game digitally? if so, I'm done with microsoft.

I already paid in full my physical preoder.
That's only because their store license account system is not integrated properly at the moment. In summer cross-buy will work like it should, as it works on Apple, PlayStation...etc.

Impulsor

That's only because their store license account system is not integrated properly at the moment. In summer cross-buy will work like it should, as it works on Apple, PlayStation...etc.

But in the meantime I'm screweds, I mean, I won't get the free PC version?

eshwaaz

Whatever the OT title ends up being, I really
hope it contains no reference to Giant Bomb or Jeff. The reaction to his review has been embarrassing, and any reference to it in the official title would be drawing additional attention to it.

1337Sauce

Have all of the cutscenes and TV episodes almost uploaded into one entire video (movie style). Do you guys think I should post this here for everyone...or should I just wait for the spoiler thread?

Obviously if I put it in here I will label it with a massive spoiler tag!

EDIT: Game is fantastic by the way. Went in without watching any trailers except for that initial reveal footage a long, long time ago and was very pleasantly surprised. Huge sucker for time travel stories... and this one definitely scratched that itch. More than willing to answer any questions you guys have!

Becaus eI'm paying the same amount of money?

IT's easy to include a code inside the box.

But why make assumptions when they always said X would be a bonus for purchasing it one way?

I don't like retailer specific pre order bonuses but you wouldn't have they info, buy a retailers version then complain you didn't get the other one.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Becaus eI'm paying the same amount of money?

IT's easy to include a code inside the box.

Why would they do that? You could just resell the code. Cross-buy is only a standard for digital, and you can get cross-buy if you buy it from the Xbox Store.
Not sure why you're expecting to get technically two SKUs for the price of one.

Mufc1427

Have all of the cutscenes and TV episodes almost uploaded into one entire video (movie style). Do you guys think I should post this here for everyone...or should I just wait for the spoiler thread?

Obviously if I put it in here I will label it with a massive spoiler tag!

EDIT: Game is fantastic by the way. Went in without watching any trailers except for that initial reveal footage a long, long time ago and was very pleasantly surprised. Huge sucker for time travel stories... and this one definitely scratched that itch. More than willing to answer any questions you guys have!
I think you should wait for the spoiler thread.

What are your thoughts on the story by the way?

1337Sauce

I think you should wait for the spoiler thread.

What are your thoughts on the story by the way?

Will do. Felt like that was the better idea anyways!

Personally I loved the story. Played through it in one sitting yesterday. I haven't read any reviews (only saw the scores), so I'm not too sure what everybody else is saying, but I thought the pacing was excellent. The game constantly kept the story going with minimum downtime, while still maintaining a strong sense of cohesion. The game has a nice climax, and the last act really pulls the whole story together in many of the ways that you would expect a time travel story to do.

While the game felt like a decent length (not too sure how long I played, but I would definitely say somewhere around 8 hours?), it never truly felt like it was running too long, which is something that I did feel while playing Alan Wake despite absolutely loving that game. Stories in videogames are what I look for above everything else, and this game definitely delivered in that department. However, I am not overly critical, and am usually entertained by anything as long as it is decently put together. On that note, I was not looking for any continuity problems (as many people do with time travel stories), and because of this, I generally found myself loving the story and the characters throughout my time playing it.

If I did have to mention a weak point, I would definitely say that some of the characters feel underdeveloped until the very end of the game. The plot is definitely laid on in the last couple of hours, and while the story is strong throughout, it is really those last two hours or so that bring the game together.

Also absolutely loved the TV episodes! Enjoyed the acting for what it was and actually found myself entertained by them the entire time, despite hearing some criticisms of them! They are definitely worth watching, and I probably will do so again when I begin my second playthrough today. There really are some great moments in them, with one of the episodes actually being my personal favourite thing in the entire game just due to the pure epicness of what was going on.

EDIT: Also like any time travel story, I am sure this game will GREATLY benefit by playing through it a second time. They throw a good amount of names and terms at you, and some of the dialogue actually happens during combat sequences. Also, piecing together the storyline will be much easier for some people after you know the order or backstory to some of the events in the game.

aravuus

Huge sucker for time travel stories... and this one definitely scratched that itch. More than willing to answer any questions you guys have!

Bolded describes me perfectly. Randomly decided to buy a new watch a couple of days ago so I might wait a bit, but I'll definitely get the PC version at some point.

Top Bottom