• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Sega was never going to survive Sony’s entrance into the videogame market, and all the endless talk of reentering the hardware market is beyond foolish. Unless you have a couple billion dollars to burn, a Dreamcast 2 is never going to happen.

Far better to celebrate what Sega gave us in the 1980s and 1990s than to harp endlessly on “what went wrong.”

Eiknarf

I don’t enjoy Resident Evil games. Last gen or this gen.

I play em, then dislike the flow, or disruption of said flow with all the backtracking and puzzles and inventory management

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The last ten years of Playstation have been a complete bore

"XBOX" exists in name only its been over since Kinect

Nintendo is just a Nostalgia pimp the modern Nintendo games are missing something the old games used to have

I don't understand anyone who has strong enough feelings about the current industry to be a fanboy or warrior all the same parts and most of the same games, same game engines ect. everything is so dull now who cares

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Nintendo is just a Nostalgia pimp the modern Nintendo games are missing something the old games used to have

I don't understand anyone who has strong enough feelings about the current industry to be a fanboy or warrior all the same parts and most of the same games, same game engines ect. everything is so dull now who cares

And the greatest dread is not knowing of videogames have become lame and boring, or if we are all just getting old. Are we doomed to become Grampa Simpson? I hate everything except Matlock. Maaaatlooock!!

Drawing Motivation GIF

From software games are not worth the slog. I respect the games (I completed the first one way back on PS3) but I just can't be bothered with the time investment
Please, not looking to make any enemies here.
throwgarbage.gif
I'm the opposite; I give all Souls like a try since I really liked the ones that are not as celebrated. My favs games ever are Code Vein and the first Remnant. Remnant 2 is a better game... but I am the one of the few who claimed the first one was the best game ever made from the start... Anyway If its souls I buy... Bought Thymesia played like 30 mins... 0 regrets... Hope I enjoy Lord of the Fallen. To each their own... A few bosses have ganked me out of Soulslikes sometimes and have me take breaks but I always find the strength to come back.

From software games are not worth the slog. I respect the games (I completed the first one way back on PS3) but I just can't be bothered with the time investment
They are very time consuming and demanding. I play them because I find great joy in breaking the order, structured progression, and intended battle design that is crafted to give the greatest challenge to the player by its developers.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
What do you call a boring, pretentious walking simulator with bad acting/writing, cringe cut scenes,
lame puzzles, shit pacing and a completely uninteresting MC?

A remedy entertainment game

Alan Wake 1/2 is everything thats wrong with the modern video game industry in a neat package

Also Max Payne was never good

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Phase

What do you call a boring, pretentious walking simulator with bad acting/writing, cringe cut scenes,

Alan Wake 1/2 is everything thats wrong with the modern video game industry in a neat package

100% agree, except for the max payne opinion. I consider it the only good Remedy IP.

rofif

Banned
I enjoy browsing phone more these days than gaming.
I would criticize you but I browse and watch yt/twitch way more than gaming.
Internet+social media made us addicted loosers.
I always feel bad after spending all day scrolling forums and yt shorts.... a feeling I never get when I play games

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Here are some more I can think of....

+ Enderal is better than Skyrim

+ I loved Super Pitfall on the NES but the 30th anniversary mod is even more awesome

There's one other big one I was going to post a few days ago but I couldn't find a thread until today so I'll try and remember what that was.

sigmaZ

throwgarbage.gif
LOL I'm not a huge fan of Dark Souls itself, but I play every other Soulsborne games like Demon Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring as they are all different from one another. I love the difficulty not as a try-hard, because I don't play games to prove anything to myself, but because most of the time I can feel the progression towards victory in these games and it's satisfying when something clicks. Some of them have vital flaws and padding that I don't think the hardcore fans would like to admit, which align with your feelings regarding the time investment required. Elden Ring in particular, though I wanted to love it, had such a slow progression system compared to the other games (though there's now plenty of stuff on the internet and mods to alleviate that). If you're on PC I would say just play them with mods to make it easier to level up faster so that you don't require the same time investment. I did this on my replay of Cyberpunk and now I like the game more than my first playthrough (In Cyberpunk's case it's not difficult, but progression getting around and looting is slow).

The gameplay in the Last of Us was boring, but the story was well paced and great; in the sequel the story and pacing were shite, but the gameplay was very good.

Probably does not bode well for the TV show.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Okay, here's my crazy "controversial" gaming opinion of the season:

I'd rather spend $500 on an Atari 5200 than a PlayStation 5.

Mind you, this includes a trackball controller, rebuilt controllers, one of those wonderful new dual joysticks that are built to order, and an SD multicart. So basically, I'd just want to create my own weirdly nostalgic, not-nostalgic home video arcade from the Golden Age, right between the peak and the crash. I can't imagine anyone but 1980s kids to ever give a hoot or even see the point, but that is also part of the charm.

Blindy

Devil May Cry 2 is not the worst game of the series, it's better than DMC4 and is on par with the 1st DMC. It just is soulless and pretty easy but it (somehow) had a more cohesive story than DMC4 and didn't force backtracking the same couple of places like the latter did. Both campaigns got ultra repetitive but you didn't have to go back and forth for objectives. By no means is DMC2 a good game but it's way too hyperbole to say it's god awful, it's just a letdown of a followup to the 1st game at most.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Most older, hardcore PlayStation fans don't realize they've loved it for so long thanks to games that PlayStation didn't even make.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Not true, Max Payne 3 is excellent and one of the best third person action games ever.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I really liked Super Hydlide on the Sega Genesis. I have a lot of fond memories of playing it.

xrnzaaas

Not true, Max Payne 3 is excellent and one of the best third person action games ever.
I was negative towards Max Payne 3 when I originally played it, I think I expected the same setting as with the first two games. I replayed it last year and absolutely loved the atmosphere and broken Max. Maybe I needed to mature to appreciate it more.

By the way, more serious games should have South America for their setting. There's a lot of dirt, crime and other wrong things which could be a base to tell a great story.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
throwgarbage.gif
i agree and disagree to certain extents. They are a slog to get through to actually physically finish and still do new game plus to get a true/bad/side ending etc.

They do absolutely do the best exploration and world design, in terms of "ooo whats up here" crazy jump, die 5 times, oh look there's actually an item here for you. That in turn keeps me playing because they generally surprise you around every corner, compare that to something like Tears of the boredom where everything breaks and exploration is meaningless, you can see why a FromSoft game bites the way it does.

Bloodborne is still the perfect length for me though, Elden ring while a lot of fun did feel like too much, the repeat bosses and enemies near the end didn't help either

Top Bottom