• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

I'm just going to throw out two salient points that I think a lot of people are forgetting:

• Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.
  • Fucking Mega Man got in.

1. Opinion. I think DKC Tropical Freeze is the best platformer since Mario World, but I don't treat that as fact.

2. Mega Man is more iconic, has a greater history and fanbase, and was born on Nintendo platforms.

MrBadger

1. Opinion. I think DKC Tropical Freeze is the best platformer since Mario World, but I don't treat that as fact.

2. Mega Man is more iconic, has a greater history and fanbase, and was born on Nintendo platforms.

You can treat it as a fact if you want to. I won't try and stop you

No big surprises there, except that I don't know why people always recognize Kirby. The character must really be iconic in terms of design, because going by commercial success and general promotion Mario, Yoshi, Link and Pikachu are still three or four notches above him. I guess it's also because Kirby gets new games much more often than those other series. Helps keep people aware of it.

I'm pleased that people still recognize Mega Man after all this time and the shit treatment he's got for the past 2 decades. And the one guy who confuses him with another character said Astro Boy, which is really a compliment. This really makes me think that Capcom has dropped the ball with all those spin-off series and half-hearted attempts at bringing Classic Mega Man back. The series could be much more popular than it is right now. So sad.

Yeah if it wasn't for the first smash bros game I would not have known who Kirby was so I was suprised many knew him right off the bat. I wouldn't have known Kirby games existed if it weren't for smash bros and nintendo directs.

Right, i completly agree and to the end purpose it's important to have diversity.
But just like streetfighter, a small cast of 8-12 characters is not only more recognizable, but it's a lot more manageable as well, and allows to pick up the game more easily.

I had some friends over and we turned smash and all of them were pretty overwhelmed by the amount of characters, which I don't think it's surmountable in the first session of play, and only after a few times you meet you'll start warming up the gigantic roster and that I believe is a turn off for some more casual oriented people.
Also not to get into the whole smash bros isn't a real fighting game thing, but when it is played as a party game, if you feed too much information right from the get go, with characters, items, hazards or mechanics it can also be a little overwhelming, even if the spirit of the game is chaos. Street fighter is approached as a regular fighter even if people are mashing the buttons so it's easier to manage such a big cast.

Of course I personally love the giant roster and I also know the only way is up, hell I'm still pissed my girl Jill isn't there.

Yeah, I can get with that. I think if I were making Smash 5, I'd be seriously tempted to strip back the roster significantly, and instead do a Mortal Kombat X thing of giving characters more playstyle options. Obviously that would piss people off, but I think making a good, approachable game is perhaps better than appeasing the fanboys...

I think the stages contribute much more to the information overload Smash gives you, mind. We need far more neutral stages without gimmicks.

Ahnez

I was saying a lot of nonsense yesterday and forgot to pick a side.

The evidences point to real, so I'm on Team Real

Kurtofan

I'm just going to throw out two salient points that I think a lot of people are forgetting:

• Rayman Origins and Legends are both by far better than any 2D platformer Nintendo has released in the last 10 years.
  • Fucking Mega Man got in.

Tropical Freeze released last year though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

He's not more iconic to me. I never even heard of the guy until Megaman 9. Take Megaman out in favour of Rayman and the roster would be far better as far as I'm concerned. Hell, take Megaman out and put Globox in.

He's not more iconic to me. I never even heard of the guy until Megaman 9. Take Megaman out in favour of Rayman and the roster would be far better as far as I'm concerned. Hell, take Megaman out and put Globox in.

Before replying I'll note I'm not disputing Rayman, I'm happy he's in. My point about Mega Man was only in response to the post I replied to.

You aren't the majority in this instance. Mega Man started off huge on NES, and is widely regarded as one of the best franchises on the platform. The franchise saw huge success going forward on SNES, Game Boy, PS1, PS2, etc.

Some people have never played or heard of Zelda either, but it doesn't change how popular and iconic it is in gaming history.

Piers

I used to say this, but if Rayman can be in Smash, there's no reason why Sora couldn't as the Square rep.

Because he's suppose to be a Disney rep of sorts, too. He's not a Disney character, of course, but he'd still feel out of place for me as someone that bridges Disney worlds together.
Bit like Roger Rabbit. He belongs neither here nor there.

Because he's suppose to be a Disney rep of sorts, too. He's not a Disney character, of course, but he'd still feel out of place for me as someone that bridges Disney worlds together.

I think Sora would fit nicely actually, but don't think he's earned his spot yet. Rayman even is more deserving.

I wouldn't hate Sora by a long shot, but I'd prefer a few others first.

Village

Yeah, I can get with that. I think if I were making Smash 5, I'd be seriously tempted to strip back the roster significantly, and instead do a Mortal Kombat X thing of giving characters more playstyle options. Obviously that would piss people off, but I think making a good, approachable game is perhaps better than appeasing the fanboys...

I think the stages contribute much more to the information overload Smash gives you, mind. We need far more neutral stages without gimmicks.

Everyone is MKX is 3 characters, so what are you even talking about. That sounds a great deal more complicated than a lot of fighting games. When I pick akuma and an ultra. I didn't pick an entirely other moveset.

Extra lastly, this game is a celebration of Nintendo history and is already simple. Its supposed to be for fanboys... thats kind of the whole point.

All I'm saying, no. Its working do not change it. Stop.

I had some friends over and we turned smash and all of them were pretty overwhelmed by the amount of characters, which I don't think it's surmountable in the first session of play, and only after a few times you meet you'll start warming up the gigantic roster and that I believe is a turn off for some more casual oriented people.

not trying to be mean but that sounds super anecdotal. I don't think that's indicative in any larger number besides your friends kind of not getting smash

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Before replying I'll note I'm not disputing Rayman, I'm happy he's in. My point about Mega Man was only in response to the post I replied to.

You aren't the majority in this instance. Mega Man started off huge on NES, and is widely regarded as one of the best franchises on the platform. The franchise saw huge success going forward on SNES, Game Boy, PS1, PS2, etc.

Some people have never played or heard of Zelda either, but it doesn't change how popular and iconic it is in gaming history.

I'm probably the majority in the UK since those Nintendo consoles were never that big over here since we were Sega land and without question Rayman was a bigger deal on PlayStation than Megaman. Plus Rayman Raving Rabbids was pretty fucking huge. God I hate to admit that. That shit nearly killed the real Rayman franchise.

http://www.screwattack.com/video/Ra...r-for-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-and-3DS-12864051

According to ScrewAttack, Ubisoft will have a statement for this on Tuesday.

"Update: A representative from Ubisoft said the company is looking into the situation and will make a statement on Tuesday."

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

MrBadger

http://www.screwattack.com/video/Ra...r-for-Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-and-3DS-12864051

According to ScrewAttack, Ubisoft will have a statement for this on Tuesday.

Why would they need to prepare a statement? If it was real, they'd keep quiet. If it was fake, they'd dismiss it outright. Unless this 'representative' is someone at the bottom of Ubi who doesn't know what he/she's on about.

Orrrr......this isn't actually a leak and it's the remnants of a time when Rayman was actually planned, but cut.

Orrrrr.......they know it's fake and they're getting their shit together to explain who made it and how they went about that.

Or it's real

Plus Rayman Raving Rabbids was pretty fucking huge. God I hate to admit that. That shit nearly killed the real Rayman franchise.

Not arguing that. Also like I said, not arguing against Rayman in any capacity, just defending Mega Man. Rayman is entirely deserving even though I think others should get in first.

GamerJM

Banned
Since you guys are talking about the quality of 2D platformers, I guess I'll have to say that I think Rayman Legends is probably my favorite 2D platformer since the 16-bit era. The only thing that comes close is Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. I like it better than DKCR/Tropical Freeze (TF is damn great but I like Legends more), any of the NSMB games, any of the indie 2D platformers, any of the post-SNES Kirby games, and anything else I'm forgetting. Because of this I'm pretty pleased that Rayman is in even if I didn't play the Wii U version of any of his games (I've always associated Rayman with PC, oddly enough).

Devil

Wat.

Retro Studios is laughing at this comment. By the way, I personally think even NSMBU (which is the best NSMB game imo, the others are just average) is better than Origins. Never got the hype for the newer Rayman games. They are fun chaotic games especially in coop. But the platformer mechanics can't hold a candle to basically any recent Nintendo 2D JnR or some Indie stuff like Shovel Knight. The game feels floaty, unresponsive and sometimes sketchy. Still good games but it's not in Rayman's favour to compare his games' base gameplay to something like Returns, Tropical Freeze, any Mario etc.

LAA

Only thing about the video which makes me doubt it more. Why didn't he just start a game with Rayman? Having him in gameplay would give the leak much more credibility and/or mewtwo for that matter. Unless he somehow has a copy of the game which has the portraits but not the characters?

Wat.

Retro Studios is laughing at this comment. By the way, I personally think even NSMBU (which is the best NSMB game imo, the others are just average) is better than Origins. Never got the hype for the newer Rayman games. They are fun chaotic games especially in coop. But the platformer mechanics can't hold a candle to basically any recent Nintendo 2D JnR or some Indie stuff like Shovel Knight. The game feels floaty, unresponsive and sometimes sketchy. Still good games but it's not in Rayman's favour to compare his games' base gameplay to something like Returns, Tropical Freeze, any Mario etc.

Get good at them and do the time trials. They feel so good.

I guess that goes for DKCR as well though.

DK and Rayman are currently the best two platformers around. Of the two I prefer Rayman myself.

Village

I didn't even see this, also no.

Jesus god no.

Top teir backgrounds though, whoever designs the levels as a whole and the aesthetic of that world, needs to be paid top dollar to do everything everywhere for all the money.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Imagine if Rayman in SSB is just the corollary of the real announcement, i.e. a brand new Rayman game exclusive to Nintendo consoles, and this leak fucked whatever schedule both Ubisoft and Nintendo had, lol

MrBadger

Imagine if Rayman in SSB is just the corollary of the real announcement, i.e. a brand new Rayman game exclusive to Nintendo consoles, and this leak fucked whatever schedule both Ubisoft and Nintendo had, lol

And then to spite us, Ubisoft delays their new Rayman and puts it on every system ever, releasing it around the same time as a huge IP just to make sure it doesn't sell

Wat.

Rayman Origins and Legends felt unresponsive, yet shake to roll DKC Returns didn't?

Anyway, hasn't every main Rayman title, not counting the PC exclusive stuff like Gold and Junior, released or been exclusive to Nintendo consoles?

Ahnez

Only thing about the video which makes me doubt it more. Why didn't he just start a game with Rayman? Having him in gameplay would give the leak much more credibility and/or mewtwo for that matter. Unless he somehow has a copy of the game which has the portraits but not the characters?
Maybe Rayman doesn't work yet?

Adding him to the CSS is a very simple job, but making him work in-game is practically all the work when creating a new character.

I believe he tries to select him in the video, as you can hear an error noise in the end.

Qurupeke

Rayman Nintendo Run for the New 3DS.

Devil

Rayman Origins and Legends felt unresponsive, yet shake to roll DKC Returns didn't?

Yes it also did, you're right with that. Luckily the rest of the controls were completely spot on and precise. The rolling wasn't too much trouble too me either. Also that's nothing that could not be and indeed was fixed for the 3DS port and the sequel.

Top Bottom