• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

Well there's definitely a chance this is real

LET'S GO

GIUw3jh.gif

Jagsrock

Banned
This would be such a weird inclusion and I want to say its fake but all the subtle details in this leak make it almost seem plausible.

Sterok

The shadow thing is certainly interesting. And it looks convincing at first glance. Still, some people are very dedicated, so it's far from impossible to fake. I suppose we'll see in the coming months.

MrBadger

Wait, why would a character unlock screen appear for a dlc character? Does that mean you have to fight them to unlock them like normal characters?

Yeah, that's what I think too. When making a fake smash screenshot, that's the easiest thing to make with only a render and nothing else, besides a character select screen. It's possible that this splash screen appears when you boot up the game, but the more likely scenario is that whoever made these wanted to post more than just a fake character select.

Ryce

Little Mac, the only representative of his series, isn't grouped with all the other non-clone/non-third party characters.

Everybody likes to pretend there is any rhyme or reason to the Smash roster layout but it only very loosely follows any sort of chronology. Characters are placed arbitrarily in several cases.

Case in point, Little Mac.
Besides the clones randomly thrown in at the end, there is a rhyme and reason to the character select screen. Multi-rep series are grouped chronologically, and the gaps are filled in with one-off series representatives (also chronologically).

Start with Mario at the top left and move through the select screen. Everything's in order.

Mario extended universe (1981)
The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)

Richie

If that's actually something that occurred then I really don't understand how Sakurai comes to some of these conclusions when it comes to who would fit and who wouldn't...
I mean, Smash a series that lets the player fight as a black stick figure from an ancient line of (relatively) obscure primitive handheld devices from the second generation...
It also "stars"a yoga mannequin from a blue ocean casual-centric non-combat oriented fitness series as a playable fighter...

How wouldn't a fantasy platform character who can shoot his fist, shrink himself, fly with his hair, and fire energy beams not fit in Smash?
I mean...as an artist I think it's bunk to assert that he wouldn't work aesthetically next to Super Mario, Pikachu, Toon Link or Sonic...and as a creative person who's a fan of the Rayman series I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a unique and engaging moveset for him.

:p

Can't blame Sakurai for being especially picky when it comes to 3rd party characters, though. Nintendo owned ones are already "part of the family" so to speak, with guests I can see how he'd have to devote much more serious thought.

D-Man

I kinda think this is fake, but the more I look at it, the more I'm starting to think that it's legit. I loved Rayman Origins and Legends, so I wouldn't be against the idea of having the dude in Smash Bros.

Okay, let's say, for the sake of of this fantasy, that the leak is real.

This would have to be the reveal music.
Asides from having war flashbacks from those levels, I would love it if they chose that song for the reveal. It would fit very well.

If this is real, I wonder which entered development first - Mewtwo or Rayman?

Mewtwo probably. I think he's not coming as soon as he was originally intended to, and I think Rayman becoming a thing might be why.

Like, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if their DLC plan has become more akin to Mario Kart 8 than what appeared to be just "yeah sure, fuck it, you can have Mewtwo too"

NotLiquid

He posted in a Smash thread over a year ago about how Ubisoft was approaching Nintendo about getting Rayman in Smash. Nobody really payed much attention to it until the Rayman trophy was posted as the PoTD much, much later.

He also explicitly teased that Rayman Legends would lose it's exclusivity a day or so before the news dropped and when IGN were talking about an "interesting" Wii U-related announcement.

He definitely doesn't make things up as they go along.

Besides the clones randomly thrown in at the end, there is a rhyme and reason to the character select screen. Multi-rep series are grouped chronologically, and the gaps are filled in with one-off series representatives (also chronologically).

Start with Mario at the top left and move through the select screen. Everything's in order.

Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)

You are correct and I withdraw my comment.

Mewtwo probably. I think he's not coming as soon as he was originally intended to, and I think Rayman becoming a thing might be why.

Like, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if their DLC plan has become more akin to Mario Kart 8 than what appeared to be just "yeah sure, fuck it, you can have Mewtwo too"

I could see that.

Gosh I hope they add Tingle.

Rean

How would Rayman even work in Smash? His limbs aren't even attached to his body. They could make him like Rosalina but instead of Luma its his hand and feet I guess.

Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)

This is why either they move Doc, or they break this order. There isn't really another solution, given the image showed where ROB and Duck Hunt were.

How would Rayman even work in Smash? His limbs aren't even attached to his body. They could make him like Rosalina but instead of Luma its his hand and feet I guess.

Sukapon, a Nintendo character with a similar gimmick, was considered for Brawl, so maybe they're using the ideas from that old character design for Rayman.

Metroid (1986)
Kid Icarus (1986)
Fire Emblem (1990)
Kirby (1992)
Star Fox (1993)
Pokémon (1996)

Game & Watch (1980)
Punch-Out!! (1984)
Duck Hunt (1984)
R.O.B. (1985)
Mother (1989)
F-Zero (1990)
Animal Crossing (2001)
Pikmin (2001)
Wii Fit (2007)

Pac-Man (1980)
Mega Man (1987)
Sonic (1991)
*Rayman (1995)
Rayman's position on the character select screen checks out.

I dunno seems like it could be real, having Rayman in the game just as a trophy for no reason always seemed extremely bizarre.
Captain Video confirmed as DLC!
I'm ok with it.

I always thought Rayman would be a great third party addition but with Nintedo's and Ubisoft's falling out didn't think it would happen. Will be interesting to see if its real or not. It certainly looks real to me (along with the Mewtwo.)

With respect, I don't see the issue here. :v I could see it being an issue if, say, there were technical issues with respect to how his hands and feet work, but in terms of playing as him or fighting him, I don't understand.

mktrOOp

Banned
I think it's fake, because it would be a big joke to make Rayman a playable character after the Rayman Legends betrayal.

Top Bottom