• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO

Unannounced platform - my gut is saying it has something to do with Amazon. Those guys have a lot going on behind closed doors, and investing insane amounts of cash into gaming right now.

drotahorror

Didn't know what transmedia was until I looked it up, but yeah I'd love to see them do something else. The Order was ok, would buy from them again.

macewank

Guess I will never play The Order 1886 now. What a disaster. That game should have been Sony's Gears Of War.

Were you expecting them to patch the title and make it actually Sony's Gears of War or something? I'm not sure I follow why this news would suddenly take the game off your "games I might play sometime" list.

Dayum. Not that we didn't know, but saying that what they achieved with The Order could be done on XB1 surely hurts fanboys.:p

Also, kinda unexpected (the announcement)? Another secret platform... hm.

GnawtyDog

Banned
They're expanding, have multiple projects in the works, found an investor or two, lots of ideas and things going on at the studio. Self-publishing was always a goal, I'm happy for them. They'll have a small game here or there but that's not to say they're not working on larger scale projects as well :)

Yeah this is the best outcome out of that saga - in a way.

Parmenide

What was ever shown about this that made you think that? Super heavy focus on story and cinematics while not having multiplayer.
Probably because someone came out with "This is better than Gears" some days before the release. Can't remember if he was from here.

eFKac

Dayum. Not that we didn't know, but saying that what they achieved with The Order could be done on XB1 surely hurts fanboys.:p

Wanted to say you're wrong, but then I saw your tag, yikes.

EGM1966

I guess I shouldn't feed the Troll - but it would be interesting to see the size of the black bars on XB1. Course on PC - no black bars!

Chobel

They're expanding, have multiple projects in the works, found an investor or two, lots of ideas and things going on at the studio. Self-publishing was always a goal, I'm happy for them. They'll have a small game here or there but that's not to say they're not working on larger scale projects as well :)

Please tell me they aren't doing F2P stuff.

Harlequin

I'm disappointed that this likely means that The Order won't get a sequel. Was really looking forward to learning more about that universe. Oh well,...

Patapwn

Meh! No The Order sequel. Damn you Sony. It had huge potential.
The first one had huge potential too...

Good to see both parties (or at least sony) realize that the order failed and move onto different things. Ryse should have clued them in but by then it was probably too late

pixelation

I wonder what compromises they'd have to make to get The Order engine running on the XBO, and if maybe they'll make a deal with MS for an exclusive game like Insomniac did (that allows them to keep IP).

And so we bid The Order farewall. It's a shame, but perhaps RaD will find more success this way.

I can't wait to see what they put out next.

KyleP29

This sure reads as "there will be no more The Order releases from us". A shame as i think they could have gotten it right second time (and deserved a 2nd chance). Also, Sony isn't doing themselves a favour in cases like this. Just look at what happened with their longtime partner Insomniac. I can see RAD going the same route here. And there is definately talent in this company...

I just don't see that line of thinking. I mean as a Sony fan i suppose you could see it as losing out on exclusive partnership with these studios. But the reality is that both these studios are 3rd party studios who have not been acquired by Sony and are at the point where they can branch out and strengthen their position as a studio independent from any one manufacturer. Neither studio appears to have cut ties, or are no longer willing to work with Sony.

Endo Punk

I think Sony can still buy them if they want to.

That wouldn't be a smart investment. Sony foster great content but they have every right to pull the plug if something doesn't work out. Potential is one thing but fact is another, and the fact is RAD failed to deliver.

thelastword

Banned
That wouldn't be a smart investment. Sony foster great content but they have every right to pull the plug if something doesn't work out. Potential is one thing but fact is another, and the fact is RAD failed to deliver.
I know business is business but 1886 was not a catastrophical failure and RAD has always had solid efforts one way or another. At least people know now what the PS4 can do graphically, that has to count for something.

I don't have figures for 1886's sales but if anything is stopping Sony from investing in them further that must be it. I do think they deserve another chance though. It was their first stab at their own creative product, surely they've learnt from the complaints made. But yeah, money don't grow on trees.

Cyborg

Good luck to them...we will see what an other studio can do for the next Order. Not sad about this news.

Endo Punk

I know business is business but 1886 was not a catastrophical failure and RAD has always had solid efforts one way or another. At least people know now what the PS4 can do graphically, that has to count for something.

I don't have figures for 1886's sales but if anything is stopping Sony from investing in them further that must be it. I do think they deserve another chance though. It was their first stab at their own creative product, surely they've learnt from the complaints made. But yeah, money don't grow on trees.

The only thing RAD showed imo is how many sacrifices and how linear a game has to become in order to accommodate stellar graphics. The graphics were amazing but that lead to more issues like reflections in mirrors not being present and the sterile look of some of the environments like the many warehouses.

About the game not being a huge failure well it depends on how you look at it. Realistically I can't see it being anything else but a huge failure simply because of the time and effort put in including engine creation and such.

byropoint

Too bad, RAD obviously has some very talented people, hopefully they'll learn something from this, looking forward to whatever they will be doing next.

The Order remains the biggest waste of potential so far this gen.

It could have been something truly great - steam punk Victorian London with crazy guns designed by Nicola tesla hunting beasts and monsters throughout the city. Fighting werewolves at Westminster, chasing Mr Hyde around Whitehall and shooting down gargoyles off of Big Ben.

Instead we got an ultra-cinematic game which didn't even do this cinematic aspect particularly well, poorly written and paced with a story that fell to pieces as it went on.

RaD took the wrong route with the game, and I always think of Lafayette when he says near the start 'couldn't our time be better spent elsewhere?'. Yes it could.

Saying this there is potential for the franchise if they were to reboot it in the way I described above.

Nimby

Banned
This is great. Make sure your next game is something different than a movie simulation with TPS-lite mechanics and I might be interested.

Endo Punk

Yeah The Order definitely is wasted potential. The bare minimum I wanted was a gameplay realisation of the original trailer reveal. Fighting werewolves in the open while they run, climb and jump. Using all manor of the wild firearms and chasing down wrewolves around London. Was I asking too much? They gave me a bit of that feel near the beginning but alas it was scripted and pointless.

Yeah The Order definitely is wasted potential. The bare minimum I wanted was a gameplay realisation of the original trailer reveal. Fighting werewolves in the open while they run, climb and jump. Using all manor of the wild firearms and chasing down wrewolves around London. Was I asking too much? They gave me a bit of that feel near the beginning but alas it was scripted and pointless.

The best and most exciting part of the game for me was chasing the Lycan through the streets with the lighting gun. This must have been no more than 20 minutes in.

Endo Punk

The best and most exciting part of the game for me was chasing the Lycan through the streets with the lighting gun. This must have been no more than 20 minutes in.

I mentioned that and it was a completely scripted scene. Exciting first time I guess, still felt scripted off the bat because no matter where you aimed the lightening gun in the beginning of that chase it would still break open the gate, letting you know this the way you have to go, and this is when you can kill the beast at the end of the chase. Nothing dynamic.

nib95

Banned
The best parts of The Order for me, besides the visuals and art direction, are the gunplay and the attention to detail of the world. Linear or not, the city streets, buildings, rooms, halls, airship interiors, shop exteriors, caves, dockyards and so on, were insanely well realised. As in, completely believable, unlike most games where everything has a gamey repetitive falseness about it. And the gunplay or feel of (most of) the weapons, fantastic. Weighty, punchy, powerful, with lots of kickback and a good amount of feedback. If the arena designs and AI were more accomplished, it could have been special. Problem was there simply weren't enough gunfights, and many of the ones there were, were too simplistic in terms of enemy encounters.

Top Bottom