• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO

ryseing

Hell i just want to know where are they are getting the funds to pull this off!!! seriously, they have 2 ips in development and they are planning on self publishing!! this probably wont end well :/

jett

D-Member
So, does that engine/assets just...go to waste?

I assume Sony owns everything. SSM will probably repurpose the tech.

People say the engine is in-house, but Sony still paid for its development, so why wouldn't they own everything related to The Order?

I bet Sony looked at the investments between RAD and From soft where both were about the same era and yet Bloodborne was a hit with both fans and critics alike praising it nonstop with a focus on gameplay rather than graphics.

Then they had the Order which focused everything on having the most gorgeous graphics on a console ever but without the proper gameplay behind it, it's a bomb for both fans and critics alike due to the lack of substance behind the gameplay.

Considering how Sony probably gave both devs the same amount of time and budget and RAD stumbled with it while From thrived, it's obvious that they shouldn't waste anymore money on RAD.

wrowa

I expect that Naughty Dog have enough pull at this point to chose their own projects. Instead of developing a sequel to another developer's IP, they'd likey rather chose to work on their own franchises.

And, anyway, what would be the point of a sequel to The Order? The game isn't well-received and a sequel would need to fight the first game's reputation. If Order's sales were great, then I could see it, but as it is I don't see why Sony would want to continue the franchise over something else.

Artex

Banned
I loved The Order. The marketing killed it by selling it as something other than what it was causing reviewers to unfairly lambaste it for failing as a TPS.

Great game and awesome IP; that is a damn shame if what some of you are saying is true that this ends the chances of a sequel.

RibMan

Well I guess the Order was their chance to shine for Sony and it didn't work out :(

Yep. They got their shot and they blew it.

The godawful gameplay showcases of The Order: 1886 didn't do the franchise any favors. It's easily the best example of terrible promotion efforts for a new IP.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does this mean The Order can go multiplat to make extra sales? Also, do you think Sony were pretty unbothered by this?

No sony owns the ip and they would lose money on a port anyways. the game was unfortunately terrible. i think Had it worked out different sony would've acquired them.

this whole situation played out very similar to ninja theory and heavenly sword.

xrnzaaas

I hope that Sony won't give up on The Order, because the game's universe has potential. Just hire a studio that can make an enjoyable TPP shooter that actually allows you to be a participant of the important scenes and doesn't end in four or five hours of a standard playthrough.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Best of luck to them.

If RAD wants this transmedia shift to work they need to focus on what they do best, and it ain't game design.

Jb

It's dead Jim.

Pretty happy about it tbh. I've been rooting for RAD since their PSP days but if The Order is the best they could do with a new IP gameplay-wise I'm glad they're moving to something else (presumably smaller scale if they're talking about self-publishing).

Arrage

Banned
Someone said that the director, Ru Weerasuriya, wants to be a film-maker. After seeing some videos from GDC and interviews, he sounded like he wants to be Michael Bay type of director: directing sequences, shots, action. He didn't seem to be concerned about the story or the actual game design at all. He talked constantly how games were supposed to emulate filmic effects etc. All those small details are meaningless without the solid story and gameplay.

I believe that it was Sony who initiated either budget cuts or different plans for RAD. I don't see how RAD would just choose to leave Sony (if conditions were good) and start over.

No publisher on the industry would use RAD to develop another The Order type of game: highly realistic graphics, short single player, no online features, 60$.

KOHIPEET

The director of The Order wants to be a film-maker. Lots of his interviews allude to that.

The Order is evidence enough of that. Very filmic.

I'm not surprised Sony cut them loose (if they have), The Order looks like a giant waste of time and money. You could liken it to Heavenly Sword in lots of ways.

But he's at goddamn Uwe Boll levels!!

Does Mr. Sams' appointment or the creation of a publishing arm change the studio's close relationship with Sony? Do you have plans for more games on non-Sony platforms [Ready At Dawn did the Wii port of Okami – ed.]?
Sams: We have enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Sony. They are a great company with whom we have shared many successes over the years. As a result, it is hard to imagine not seeing our future games on one or more of the Sony platforms. At the same time, we have worked very hard to make sure that our engine and technology suite is multiplatform. What we did on the PS4 for The Order: 1886, we can also do today on Xbox One, PC, and on an additional unannounced platform.

Weerasuriya: We will always value our partnership with Sony and as a result the close relationship we have enjoyed. For the last decade, RAD has showcased many different PlayStation platforms through the games we have created, and we definitely hope to continue in that endeavor. Paul's arrival only helps us in that sense, by better placing all of the teams' efforts on creative and development while at the same time broadening our horizons as a studio.
why do ppl keep saying Sony lost something? I think more devs are just aspiring to become EA/Actitivsion/Ubisoft and control there own fates in the industry. Also, this might have been the goal of the company regardless of how well The Order did (unless it was a phenomenon) and this just means a sequel is rather unlikely. Insomniac for example is still working with Sony on exclusives despite branching off.

BadAss2961

Then they had the Order which focused everything on having the most gorgeous graphics on a console ever but without the proper gameplay behind it, it's a bomb for both fans and critics alike due to the lack of substance behind the gameplay.
The Order had the gameplay, just not enough of it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's dead Jim.

Fuck, and they had to end with one of the worst cliffhangers in the history of videogames, and some of the worst teases for a sequel.

This is why, dear developers, you do stand alone titles. And not make the huge mistakes RAD made with The Order.

But hey, lets be positive about this, at least RAD is not dead, unlike the other independent developers who worked with them like those who did Starhawk, or PSBR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I hope that Sony won't give up on The Order, because the game's universe has potential. Just hire a studio that can make an enjoyable TPP shooter that actually allows you to be a participant of the important scenes and doesn't end in four or five hours of a standard playthrough.

Yep. They got their shot and they blew it.

The godawful gameplay showcases of The Order: 1886 didn't do the franchise any favors. It's easily the best example of terrible promotion efforts for a new IP.

I loved The Order. The marketing killed it by selling it as something other than what it was causing reviewers to unfairly lambaste it for failing as a TPS.

Great game and awesome IP; that is a damn shame if what some of you are saying is true that this ends the chances of a sequel.

No disrespect to people who enjoyed it. speaking as one of the majority who did boot enjoy this game- it wasn't marketing, prompting, etc. the game was bad. the pain was horrendous, it was painfully sorry, forced endless cutscenes, sets a new standard for holding, qtes that run endlessly incapable of being failed, give stance, dated cover system, boring pop and shoot corridor mechanics, lack of character development or charisma from the characters.

the game has solid gunplay with some inventive ideas, however you never use these "inventive guns" such as the theme rifle. the art and visuals are fantastic. it was clear from the finished product and interviews their priorities were way off.

GavinUK86

uTD2GXR.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Even the PSP one from what I heard. So much hating on that franchise. Same with Resistance (really liked 2 especially the coop multiplayer).

resistance hate... where? the 2nd one maybe but the 1st is loved on gaf and some consider the 3rd the best. kz has some real trash. 1st was a bust, 2nd good, 3rd major step down mediocre. psp was fun not great, vita was very solid, shadow fall was awful.

DieH@rd

Banned
They did a good job with Order, but obviously missed some important marks that prevented it to become very big success. I hope the studio will continue to create awesome games, they proven many times they know what they are doing.

And hopefully they will continue working on Order franchise. That IP has so much potential, it would be criminal to leave it behind.

I expect that Naughty Dog have enough pull at this point to chose their own projects. Instead of developing a sequel to another developer's IP, they'd likey rather chose to work on their own franchises.

And, anyway, what would be the point of a sequel to The Order? The game isn't well-received and a sequel would need to fight the first game's reputation. If Order's sales were great, then I could see it, but as it is I don't see why Sony would want to continue the franchise over something else.

Maybe Sony will try to recoup their losses on the title and move on. It is rather telling that the best games RaD has ever made were God of War PSP titles.

KingJ2002

Unannounced platform?

Nintendo NX maybe? or maybe it's an Apple console... like... the next Apple TV is also part gaming console.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
They did a good job with Order, but obviously missed some important marks that prevented it to become very big success. I hope the studio will continue to create awesome games, they proven many times they know what they are doing.

And hopefully they will continue working on Order franchise. That IP has so much potential, it would be criminal to leave it behind.

sony owns it, rad wont be working in it. the reception and word of mouth have made the potential franchise toxic.

I'm fairly sure that's actually happening.

Or a Shadow Fall sequel with Mercs design sensibilities.

This right here. The first few chapters of Shadow Fall were actually interesting with the more open level design, and now we have a half-Helghast, half-Vektan character who's gone rogue and started another war. If GG Cambridge can refine the stealth gameplay, and expand on what Guerrilla was trying to do in KZSF then I'm excited.

Sucks that The Order is dead though. You obviously can't argue with it from a business perspective, but I would've liked to see a sequel because of where 1886 left off.

Hugstable

Banned
They should go back to making HnS games. their GoW PSP games were quite fun.

Daxter was alot of fun too, they seem to do very well with smaller scale versions of exisitng IP. Honestly, i feel as of they should have gotten a chance to make a GOW game on the PS4 before tackling sonething like the Order.

No disrespect to people who enjoyed it. speaking as one of the majority who did boot enjoy this game- it wasn't marketing, prompting, etc. the game was bad. the pain was horrendous, it was painfully sorry, forced endless cutscenes, sets a new standard for holding, qtes that run endlessly incapable of being failed, give stance, dated cover system, boring pop and shoot corridor mechanics, lack of character development or charisma from the characters.

the game has solid gunplay with some inventive ideas, however you never use these "inventive guns" such as the theme rifle. the art and visuals are fantastic. it was clear from the finished product and interviews their priorities were way off.

Maybe they can get Spark Unlimited to take over for the sequel. I hear they're the go to guys after Lost Planet and Ninja Gaiden for 3rd party sequelizations

Well, this is not surprising. While i liked "The Order", the game had a lot of problems and i can understand why Sony don't want another fail. I did pay 69.99$ canadian money for this and there wont even be a sequel now. Sucks, but hey this is the gaming industry nowdays.

I wish them good luck, the guys at Ready at Dawn seem like a bunch of cool people !

Mononoke

Banned
The engine is RAD's. They've said before it was all in-house tech.

The IP is Sony's. RAD can't make another Order without Sony but they can use the tech.

That's true. I was replying to someone saying that they are only going to be doing low budget games from here on out. So my mind kind of went to "so the engine will go to waste"...but they could still use their engine for other projects (including smaller budget, although to what extent, I don't know).

Top Bottom