• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons for concern when it comes to the PS4......

And I am telling you, in my dark basement, with a 50" glass-faced plasma sitting 3 meters from me, at eye level, playing Heavy Rain with Move (which is much brighter and bigger), at no time did the reflection even register. Is a non issue. Believe me. You are just wrong on this, sorry.

You have a suspicion. I'm telling you, it's fine. From experience. You needn't fret so much.

Thank you for sharing this. This issue is being overblown.

Bashtee

Fine with it? No. Will i do it if it is the only way to obscure the light? Yes. Has it caused me to reconsider my Day 1 PS4 purchase? Absolutely. I am never fine with putting a piece of tape on a brand new $400 piece of electronics.

I'm sure that the lightbar will actually be less noticable than the red LEDs on the PS3 controller. Another take might be not to buy a fucking mirror as a TV. If it reflects a lightbar, it most likely also reflects everthing else during daytime. Shitty TV I'd say.

I missed that, sorry.

Game installs, general OS stuff, trophy syncing, the store are all quicker/easier to use on Vita than they are on PS3. There's some progression there and in that regard I think PS4 will be fine.
So good to hear. Thanks :)

I'm pretty damn hyped for the PS4 but if anything was going to be a problem it'd be the OS, so the more good stuff out there about it the better. Especially for my hardcore 360 friends who are teetering on the edge but assume the worst.

Co-op is serious business.

Bowler

And I am telling you, in my dark basement, with a 50" glass-faced plasma sitting 3 meters from me, at eye level, playing Heavy Rain with Move (which is much brighter and bigger), at no time did the reflection even register. Is a non issue. Believe me. You are just wrong on this, sorry.

You have a suspicion. I'm telling you, it's fine. From experience. You needn't fret so much.

/Thread

If these issues are deal breakers, then they are deal breakers. That's why there are 3 console choices plus PC available to you. Some people think this list is trivial, and some don't. Luckily there are other purchasing options for you.

I did not say they are deal breakers, but they are things that should be addressed. PS4 looks better to me right now, but it still has many issues.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I did not say they are deal breakers, but they are things that should be addressed. PS4 looks better to me right now, but it still has many issues.
Maybe you could make a thread with the many issues as this one isn't so well done.

Question: If the PS4 is slightly bigger size equivalent to the PS3 Slim & has no outside power brick, how is it able to regulate heat build up well without melting the hardware? Does the PS4 fan runs on magic?

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/83714/Mark+Cerny%3A+%22they+know+how+to+design+PS4+so+it+won't+overheat%22/ said:
we asked Cerny how the PlayStation 4 would cope with the intense summer heat that Spain's currently sweltering under.

"I think it will be fine," he replied. "They know how to design the console so it doesn't overheat. If you notice that PlayStation 4 is smaller, it's because power consumption is less; simple as that."

Question: If the PS4 is slightly bigger size equivalent to the PS3 Slim & has no outside power brick, how is it able to regulate heat build up well without melting the hardware? Does the PS4 fan runs on magic?

jayu26

Answer: If you are seriously worried about this, then don't buy it at launch. But I like to think that engineers know what they are doing.

Allforce

Honestly I'd like to be able to change my PSN name, even if it was for 9.99 or whatever XBox Live charges you to switch.

I originally tried to sign up with my normal gamertag "Allforce" (same as XBL) and I got the "that username is offensive and violates the terms of service" message from Sony. So I did "AllforcePSN" and they took that no questions asked.

Drives me nuts, I'll probably just use my real name on PS4 if that option is still a thing.

BigDug13

Because the PS4 uses less power and probably generates less heat then the PS3? None of the PS3's have power bricks either, right?

So good to hear. Thanks :)

I'm pretty damn hyped for the PS4 but if anything was going to be a problem it'd be the OS, so the more good stuff out there about it the better. Especially for my hardcore 360 friends who are teetering on the edge but assume the worst.

Co-op is serious business.
I think where people may not be considering the Vita in this discussion owes something to the fact that because its portable and battery life is a major consideration some titles disable online interaction to save juice. Unfortunate but understandable I think, but these concerns shouldn't at all be applicable to a mains powered console.

It's an incremental improvement, but an improvement nonetheless and being able to suspend a game and browse on the store or web browser is something you can't do on PS3.

Clockwork5

Yes. You are the only reasonable person on this forum, sans 8bit I guess. GAF is a hivemind after all and full of frothing Sony fanboys that don't have independent thought.

Nope.
This just must be where they all hang out between creating TLoU threads.

I never hated on Sony. I am even aware I am in the minority for good reason; I am just more sensitive to glare and distraction than others. It is literally game breaking for me. I am really excited for the PS4 which is why this bothers me. I understand that everyone does not feel this way; I even hinted at that in the first 4 words of my original post. But you probably shouldn't attempt to characterize me or my concern as illegitimate. i have done no such thing to you.

MercuryLS

Banned
6) Only two USB ports. What if I want to use my external HDD, my Pulse headset and want to recharge my controler at the SAME time? Sony fix this!

7) The trackpad should've been a screen. Looking at WiiU's gamepad screen and its innovative gameplay options, it's a missed opportunity for Sony.

8) Ps Camera should be mandatory. Some multiplat games will probably uitlize the Kinect, making the Xbox One version of the game vastly superior. This will probably hurt the Ps4 3rd party game sales a lot.

The Ps4 is getting a lot of positive press. The Ps4 is $100 cheaper than the Xbox One. But why? Are we getting fooled by Sony's smoke&mirror strategy? I dunno why, but the cheaper price concerns me as well now that I think about it.

6) Legitimate complaint, I wish Sony would stop being so stingy with USB ports. Also put them on the back of the machine!

7) Touchscreen is too expensive, touchpads are cheap. I don't want $100+ controllers.

8) We have seen no major 3rd party games take good advantage (or any advantage in most cases) of Kinect. Developers aren't going to go out of their way to add features for Kinect for the most part. It's a total non-issue. Hell even MS hasn't shown interesting game uses for Kinect yet.

The only things I worry about is Sony executing on a good OS. Everything else seems great to me.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But you probably shouldn't attempt to characterize me or my concern as illegitimate. i have done no such thing to you.
There are joke posts by me where I joke about your phrasing.

Then there is a post where I call out that you mis-characterize GAF as a hivemind as if that ever is a good defense in an argument.

Any serious post from me about the glare issue is acknowledging how this issue that doesn't affect me should have a global software dimmer in the OS. In this thread and the dedicated thread for that concern from a few days ago.

That the glare issue is supported by cherry picked screenshots and probably overblown is separate from that.

I don't think that is characterizing you or your concerns as illegitimate just because I'm not a velvet glove equivalent of a forum poster.
I will continue to clown on bad arguments. I will not start making poor arguments or ignore practical reality to have a meltdown over an issue that is amusing to me.

SeanR1221

But it wasn't just the excited comment. I went further than that.

Real Xbox fanboys don't say stuff like that. I pointed out the 3 biggest reasons so many of us are excited about the PS4. Some people just need to chill out with this stuff. It's a little crazy. Call my PS4 concerns nitpicks all day long, but suggesting I'm an Xbox fanboy. lolz

At the end of the day games are going to make this decision for me, but even then, I'm only talking about the console I buy this fall. I am certain I will end up owning both, as I generally buy just about every console.

Don't worry man. A lot of people on gaming have gone legit insane over the new consoles. I just wanna play some games :/

BigDug13

6) Legitimate complaint, I wish Sony would stop being so stingy with USB ports. Also put them on the back of the machine!

7) Touchscreen is too expensive, touchpads are cheap. I don't want $100+ controllers.

8) We have seen no major 3rd party games take good advantage (or any advantage in most cases) of Kinect. Developers aren't going to go out of their way to add features for Kinect for the most part. It's a total non-issue. Hell even MS hasn't shown interesting game uses for Kinect yet.

The only things I worry about is Sony executing on a good OS. Everything else seems great to me.

Why do you want the USB on the back? I like it on the front as I'm able to use my infrared dongle that allows my Harmony remote to control my PS3 and soon my PS4. It's also easier to stick thumbdrives into when I want to play an mp4 video file I've copied from my PC. Unless you're saying make it 4 USB, 2 front, 2 back, and if that's what you're saying, then I agree.

I don't get this thread at all, so much hyperbole for purely trivial stuff.

The only
barely
legitimate concern is number 1 and it will be addressed through a firmware update I'm sure, even then it is as minor as any issue I've ever seen.

Every other problem is theoretical and to think they won't be addressed at all or fixed through better hardware is pretty stupid to be quite frank.

Clockwork5

There are joke posts by me where I joke about your phrasing.

Then there is a post where I call out that you mis-characterize GAF as a hivemind as if that ever is a good defense in an argument.

Any serious post from me about the glare issue is acknowledging how this issue that doesn't affect me should have a global software dimmer in the OS. In this thread and the dedicated thread for that concern from a few days ago.

That the glare issue is supported by cherry picked screenshots and probably overblown is separate from that.

I don't think that is characterizing you or your concerns as illegitimate just because I'm not a velvet glove equivalent of a forum poster.
I will continue to clown on bad arguments. I will not start making poor arguments or ignore practical reality to have a meltdown over an issue that is amusing to me.

I did not characterize GAF as a hive-minded community. I simply implied that often the most vocal are those who defend the object of their fandom. Which is particularly evident in this thread.

I have been finding more examples. This one bothers me a bit.

mCyRclP.gif

Tripolygon

Banned
I did not characterize GAF as a hive-minded community. I simply implied that often the most vocal are those who defend the object of their fandom. Which is particularly evident in this thread.

I have been finding more examples. This one bothers me a bit.

mCyRclP.gif

Umm i think that is what the PS Eye camera sees and not a reflection. As you can also see, the player's DS4 light bar shown on the TV.

BigDug13

Umm i think that is what the PS Eye camera sees and not a reflection. As you can also see, the player's DS4 light bar shown on the TV.

We're still not for sure on that. But we need to see more examples of it outside of the PS Eye device IMO so that it's more definitive, since the Eye device seems to show you your reflection like a mirror.

Clockwork5

However, the EYE displays the player in the center of the screen, while one can also see the reflection of the lightbar on the right of the screen, doing the same movements as the player, pre-lag. It is pretty clear the floating light on the right is a reflection.

GodofWine

Wait...are some people actually bothered by the DS3s red lights??? I've seen this mentioned more than one since the light bar dramatic meltdown...really...the red lights bug people???

Satchel

Banned
I'd be more concerned as to whether Sony can create a decent OS. XMB is stale, the Vita OS while snappy, is butt ugly and boring. What I've seen of the PS4 OS so far hasn't instilled much confidence.

I'm glad they're making so many strides on the back end though, so that's something.

GamerJM

Banned
Absolutely none of those things are dealbreakers for me. Sure, they are minor annoyances, I'm definitely not going to deny that, and Sony isn't perfect, but personally as a system itself I think the PS4 looks really good.

ekim

My only concerns were the controller and the os.
The former seems to be a non issue after all those hands-on previews. I now have both consoles preordered. The system that releases later than the other will be cancelled if things keep to be the same as they are now. I will eventually get the other system next year.

Sean*O

They must give the option to turn that damned light off. It's a blight and it's a power drain you don't need, unless it's being used (willingly) for controlling the game.

How hard can this be to remove?

KageMaru

1) I don't have a reflective screen, so I'm not that worried about the light bar.

2) I'm happy with my name and had a hard enough time picking one that wasn't taken, so I'm not eager to go through that again. I've only had to use this feature once on the 360, so no big loss to me.

3) Agreed that downloading on PSN is pretty slow, but I've learned to deal with it.

4) I'm not bothered by the new store at all. I didn't think it was great before and I can still find what I'm looking for easily enough.

5) Good thing I don't give a shit about achievements or trophies. =P

I can definitely see how this list is an issue for some, but none are huge problems for me thankfully.

GodofWine

I hope they don't let you change your names, I want to be in the retirement castle playing with other old heads in 40yrs only to find out one of them is still called XxonyurmomsfacexX or something so dumb.

People don't ever think they will actually get older, this causes bad tattoos and bad usernames.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I have been finding more examples.
Hey, so have I!

kaching said:
As someone who has used a Move controller with flatscreen TV for a couple of years now, I totally agree - there's really not any reason to bring up tape here. It's a non-issue.

FranXico said:
Seriously, you don't notice it unless you are looking for it.

Nerfgun said:

Just in case you missed them in your fervor to find all the vids of demos filmed under terrible trade show lighting conditions where the camera amplifies the effect. You've been almost studious in your failure to acknowledge firsthand accounts from longtime Move users.

Ushae

Banned

Low power components = less heat generated.

beast786

I was also surprizes that DDR3 runs on higher voltage than GDDR5. Amazing..... they got a faster and more power efficient memory.

I also worry that download speeds will be crap, I hope their internet infrastructure will at least be as good as XBL. I also am not counting on the streaming of old games until it actually works.

Top Bottom