• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

Can someone with networking/tech knowledge please explain whether the Switch is capable of doing this all on its own, without a separate app?
SOCOM on PS2 had voice chat. A 17 year old console with 32MB of RAM. In a time when internet connection sucked.

Lylo

Man, if the app is an option, great, but if it's mandatory and the only option, that's really messed up...

Keep it simple Nintendo, people should only need Switch + internet connection, why putt a smartphone somewhere in the middle...

Zomba13

Am I insane or something or did the DS have a headset for voice chat? Why can't they just do that again? Why couldn't they include some mic/headphone/headset input on the controllers like the other companies?

Baleoce

Say you're out and about. You're at a wifi hotspot in a cafe or whatever. You have your switch, your Bluetooth headset and your phone. You want to play online. So you go onto the app and join a lobby or party chat.

What I don't get is this bit now. How can you listen to both the game audio feed from the switch, and party chat on your phone at the same time through one headset? Would your phone actually connect to your switch somehow and stream over the chat, or would it literally just send data from the phone to the switch telling it what lobby to join or which friend to party chat with, meaning you'd have one audio feed.

I'm getting confused just talking about it.

Taker666

I'm on the opposite end of this. If they can make a truly useful and intuitive app, then I'm down. People are complaining, but so few people voice chat as it is.
..but is it just for voice chat?

I mean the way they are making it sound is you'll need a smartphone even if you want basic online like the Wii U/3DS.

Nintendo's old online is looking pretty damn good to me right now.

Alebrije

Nintendo madness ...

dTVQwXnHQa1N9NvApjly4kvuJRuj2tlMOx1ipGNcpnGtg3UTgkCEX8Z-kPmUViKDqmdzV84G659RtZ2iTBlIyEffk4ptgc-wM99uoz_P6ARWOZkDs7VRCGmW=w349-h248-nc

Boke1879

I straight up refuse to believe this. There must be something we're missing. This cant be real.

I want to agree with you, but this is Nintendo and it doesn't help with Reggie saying this shit.

Seriously they are going to be charging people for this. If you can't match make, chat or handle lobbies on the console itself. I'm sorry but that's complete shit.

Nintendo needs to get out of it's bubble.

Audioboxer

"All the hip young kids use apps right? Why don't we make switch matchmaking...on a separate mobile app!"

"All our mainline games are pretty much turning into smartphone games, so let's get the kids to bug the parents for smartphones and get them hooked early".

Knowing Nintendo business decision making it probably was some dumb ass exec saying this can help the mobile division of gaming. As in the paid for Nintendo app is probably going to have advertisements for all the mobile games...

Gorillaz

I know exactly why they are doing this: because they can't trust parents to implement parental controls. Remember how they got rid of Swapnote entirely, over something terrible that happened one time because a kid was able to run free on their 3DS (even with friend codes implemented!)? Rather than try and beg parents to utilize the parental controls on a device that their kids can take on the go and away from their supervision, they are making it as obtuse and difficult as possible for anyone who isn't an adult to utilize online. Can't you see it? No browser on the console. Friends via social media invites. Paid online functionality. Chat and matchmaking handled through an app. The biggest way any of these can be feasibly managed is by being an adult with a card to pay for things. So if you are a kid and lack any of the requirements, you are being forced to be kept "safe" by them preventing you from accessing anything in the first place.
I can partly see their mentally with this but it's just too insane to believe

Scrawnton

I simply can't believe this is true. The article and Nintendo says the app launches this summer but bomberman is launch with online play and Mario Kart is April with online play. So of course why Switch can do all online functions by itself because online games are already confirmed to be on Switch before the app is scheduled to launch.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Of all the stupid Switch decisions that have annoyed me, I'm ok with this one. It may even be a selling point for parents worried about the device itself being a gateway to assholes.

GobFather

I guess Nintendo is reasoning that if you're in the segment that want to own a Switch, you're in the same segment that has a Smartphone.

If it's integrated seamlessly into games it could work, who doesn't have a smartphone? No need for the Switch to waste OS resources for browser and stuff like that when you can just do it via the phone.

If it works well it works well, to me personally it doesn't really matter much, but of course it would be preferable if it was handled via the system itself or, inside the games lol.

I may use my phone to add a supplementary experience but not to add as a primary function.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
As dumb as this sounds it might be interesting in that say you setup a lobby for a game of Splatoon, but there aren't enough people to play immediately. With this app you then might be able to keep playing your single player game or whatever and just let your phone turn off and then when you have a full 8 people joined up you'll get a notification and you can launch the game from there.

So instead of sitting in a lobby waiting for people to come in and join your game you can just setup something on your phone and go about your business until others are actually ready.

Best case scenario. Which kind of still sounds like convoluted shit for that ability.

What reality is Nintendo living in that this is their solution to online chat? Has anyone at that company used the internet in the past 15 years?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo should really reverse this stunt. Why make gamer bring along one more device just for these?

Matchmaking and Lobbies through a phone? I thought the voice chat thing was bad. How are they really going to try and convince people that the matchmaking and lobby thing is more convenient than pressing a button in the game you're already playing?

It sounds like they couldn't include the headset, so they had to find other things to tack into an app to spin this into a feature.

13ruce

Banned
If you make your mobile a hotspot that should be enough to play online matches right? You only need like a few mbs a sec for online gaming.

wildfire

Banned
I get what they are thinking of but I wonder if this really is the case for younger GAF members.

Personally I don't have unlimited data so the idea of using voice chat through my phone is a deal breaker. I can't imagine Nintendo requiring the phone to chat but I do imagine they are requiring it for authentication. If that's the case that specifically isn't a problem. At this point you rarely see anyone away from their phone anywhere. Our phones are an extension of ourselves so it's a great way with their logic in making sure our IDs are verified and it takes more effort to set up friends lists because we would be sharing our Real IDs.

When Blizzard tried to make Real IDs mandatory I was against this as well. I prefer some anonymity because of random pick up games and the backlash which forced them to change their implementation makes it clear a lot of people feel the same way.

Lobbies working through the phone isn't a problem but it's lame if they only exist on our phones. I like the personal touch of in game lobbies on a big screen. It won't be the same if it is all done through a phone. So we have to know if this is only for authentication purposes only.

There are too many unknown factors about matchmaking through our phone. I wish this wasn't mentioned until they were ready to provide broad details on their intentions. This was a dumb announcement.

Wait you have to use the app to matchmake into a game? So I can't just go into Splatoon solo and play with randoms? Or is this the only thing when with a party. I cant believe the former to be true.

PSFan

Have they actually said that we can't use all of the said functions on the switch itself? Are we jumping to conclusions?

I mean, I don't mind the idea of having an iPhone app to manage friends, achievements, teams...but if I can't do it on my switch itself that is just blatantly retarded.

I have to be able to sit down on my fucking couch and get into an online game with a friend without any goddamn need for my phone.

You won't need to use a phone on the couch. I'm sure the app will run on tablets as well, so you can use that when at home.
*snicker*

Kyzer

Banned
this app and Nintendo's mobile games are obviously going to be available on the switch.

get it together guys.

ThisGuy

Sounds really bad. Hopefully they implemented this to be seamless. But I always thought the idea of using a tablet or smart phone to utilize capabilities for a console seemed...inconvenient.

Wait if your using it has a home consoles. Why do you need the phone then.

lol what the hell?

The entire point of Nintendo's mobile outreach is to get those mobile consumers to become home console buyers.

Forcing Switch users to mobile to voice chat has nothing to do with that proposition. Those consumers have already bought in.

I think I'll wait and see what the full features are before I complain

I feel this is Nintendo's whole new account system, that will not be tied to the hardware. I can't really answer why they went this way but I still think it will help more than harm.

I understand why people are rejecting it, but at least wait for the details.

A better argument against this app service is what if you don't have a smart device?
What then? At least this way you can say details of what it features does not matter if you cannot access the service.

Boke1879

I'm on the opposite end of this. If they can make a truly useful and intuitive app, then I'm down. People are complaining, but so few people voice chat as it is.

Why can't they let you create a private voice lobby on the console? Why can't you voice chat on the console? That literally makes no sense. Like i said. They want people to pay for this and so far. From everything we've heard. What they are offering is much less than what they'r competitors offer.

TLZ

Banned
In my case and IMO, I think it's a very good idea. As an adult I use my PS messaging app on my phone to chat with my friends. I find it much easier and quicker.

For the kids though I'm not sure it's the case? I don't know how many kids have smart phones so it may not be as easy for them as it is for adults.

LordRaptor

Could you elaborate on how it makes sense?

You move your 'always online' requirements to the device you have with you that is always on and built specifically for messaging and communications, you decouple your social functions to a platform agnostic device that already has access to a list of your real world contacts and friends and can populate your friends list accordingly, you have a somewhat persistent ID for users so that problematic users can be identified and persistently banned at a more inconvenient level than buying a new console or creating a new username, and you are future proofed against having to recreate all of those social links in future, as you already have a device independent list that would let users of future hardware communicate with users of future IOS or android software.

The practicalities of seamlessly integrating your phone with a seperate device I have no idea how they would handle. Ideally, it would be something as simple as pairing your Switch with your phone by tapping your phones NFC with the Switches, and letting all those features be slaved into the game accordingly. Or even automatically letting you use your phone as a limited wifi hotspot when enabled.

The devils in the details though.
Conceptually its not stupid, especially if it is intended as their basis for all future social features.

Ogawa-san

For the people saying "it could be optional": why would you use an app on your phone for voice chat and matchmaking if you could do that from the Switch itself? Especially on-the-go.

I know exactly why they are doing this: because they can't trust parents to implement parental controls. Remember how they got rid of Swapnote entirely, over something terrible that happened one time because a kid was able to run free on their 3DS (even with friend codes implemented!)? Rather than try and beg parents to utilize the parental controls on a device that their kids can take on the go and away from their supervision, they are making it as obtuse and difficult as possible for anyone who isn't an adult to utilize online. Can't you see it? No browser on the console. Friends via social media invites. Paid online functionality. Chat and matchmaking handled through an app. The biggest way any of these can be feasibly managed is by being an adult with a card to pay for things. So if you are a kid and lack any of the requirements, you are being forced to be kept "safe" by them preventing you from accessing anything in the first place.

This seems like the explanation that makes the most "sense", in that it doesn't really make sense but it is self-consistent, at least. Completely silo-ing off personal communication from kids.

KingV

A lot of times I think Nintendo gets really excited about a feature that has limited use cases, or is very kid-focused. And I think, "That's kind of cool and all but it's not really going to apply to me." Other times, the feature is so use-limited that I suspect it's Japan-centric. Like a carrying handle on the back of the Gamecube.

But then there's this. In which I can honestly think of no case, no matter how limited or specific, which would be superior to in-game services, or even a Switch app. I'm at a total loss. I'm baffled.

Honestly, seriously, if someone can describe any case where this is better or more convenient than built-in online features, I would be very interested to hear it. Because Nintendo surely must have its reasons.

I think the reasoning is that it can accommodate all use cases. You can chat on the couch, tablet, or handheld mode, you can chat with a pro controller, left joycon, right joycon, or touchscreen only. You could theoretically add this to 3ds games using the same app. You support current bluetooth standards, future bluetooth standards, 3.5mm, or even lightning earbuds.
There's no worry that

Tygamr

So high speed internet is required to play on psn? Theres plenty of people without broadband.

Internet is almost essential at this point in time. Smartphones aren't. And a lot of people just have cheap or old smartphones. There'll probably be people locked out because their phone is too old to support the app. Besides, internet isn't as big of an investment as buying a smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom