• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

I think it could be great, but Nintendo needs to show us why it is a good idea asap because the negative reactions right now aren't great for their image.

How could requiring a secondary device for standard OS functionality be great?

Really feels like a strange way to do this. Man, i don't know. I try to think about actually using it and it doesn't actually seem that intrusive but i just don't understand why?

defghik

This won't affect my ability to play online, but I worry about people without a smartphone or with limited data plans. I get that this probably saves system RAM and CPU power to avoid processing this information through the console, but is it really worth the tradeoff for the consumer? We already had lightweight voice chat and lobbies on the OG DS (Metroid Prime Hunters). Why on earth couldn't we have it here?
I don't buy the "it saves RAM/CPU power" explanation at all. Halo 2 on the original Xbox with its paltry 64 MB of RAM had an excellent matchmaking system and perfectly competent voice chat, so why would the Switch need to use more than a trivial amount of resources for these features?

Really, every bit of evidence suggests that it's just another bizarre Nintendo decision, made by old men in Kyoto who are completely out of touch with reality.

Reggie's doing his best to spin it ("Elegant", more like cumbersome and totally impractical) but he has to know it's ridiculous.

Piscus

I know exactly why they are doing this: because they can't trust parents to implement parental controls. Remember how they got rid of Swapnote entirely, over something terrible that happened one time because a kid was able to run free on their 3DS (even with friend codes implemented!)? Rather than try and beg parents to utilize the parental controls on a device that their kids can take on the go and away from their supervision, they are making it as obtuse and difficult as possible for anyone who isn't an adult to utilize online. Can't you see it? No browser on the console. Friends via social media invites. Paid online functionality. Chat and matchmaking handled through an app. The biggest way any of these can be feasibly managed is by being an adult with a card to pay for things. So if you are a kid and lack any of the requirements, you are being forced to be kept "safe" by them preventing you from accessing anything in the first place.

Dmax3901

Can someone with networking/tech knowledge please explain whether the Switch is capable of doing this all on its own, without a separate app?

How the hell does this even work? I need to try to hold a phone to my ear while using both hands to play a handheld to talk to anyone in multiplayer? The fuck?

i don't think anyone could have ever imagined this

nintendo brought this up during the press conference actually
https://youtu.be/Ntzz8O7SpWs?t=249

people just didn't want to pay attention and give nintendo the benefit of the doubt

"i'll wait for some confirmation"

People wanted Nintendo to go Mobile this is a smart way to get mobile users to interact with Nintendo Hardware IMO

everyone thinking this is bad idea are not thinking of the possible ways this can tie in to Nintendo's mobile titles in the future. Hopefully Nintendo is thinking things through

i'm so glad nintendo is thinking of more ways to incentivize their products and services at the cost of native/baked in online options/features for the nintendo switch

Megatron

So a smartphone is essentially a required accessory for the Switch? That's pretty stupid. There's plenty of people without smartphones, or with really old low powered ones.

Hopefully the Switch is online capable without use of the app being required. Still pretty stupid if voice chat and lobbies are ONLY available on the app.

So high speed internet is required to play on psn? Theres plenty of people without broadband.

I think it could be great, but Nintendo needs to show us why it is a good idea asap because the negative reactions right now aren't great for their image.

Unless Nintendo plans to give you money to log in, there really isn't a sliver lining to this that I can honestly think of.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Perhaps DeNA thought of it. I can't see Nintendo having this type of thought alone. Children, a key demographic for them don't always have smartphones either.

Eusis

I really have to hope this is some either/or thing because ONLY using the app is insane. It can be handy probably, like having your friends list managed with a separate device and leaving the game uninterrupted, but using the app as the only means is just madness. It's like the FFIX guide's modern day equivalent.

MADGAME

This can't still be in place when the paid subscriptions start, right? The phone app has to be by design not only as a stop gap but also to dilute the sticker shock of how much it is going to cost per year to get proper online functionality through the device.

635823688880912232-60606112_JUSTIN.gif

You had voice chat and matchmaking built into your console's OS? That's like a baby's toy!

Great minds...

MrFixIt

I'm on the opposite end of this. If they can make a truly useful and intuitive app, then I'm down. People are complaining, but so few people voice chat as it is.

The ONLY benefit I see for having some sort of app like this on your phone (besides it being an optional way to use these online features ALONGSIDE the Switch's ability to do so) is that having these online network features right on the phone could work for Ninendo's planned mobile output i.e. Animal Crossing, lobby up with your friends through this one app etc.

I have no idea how they are gonna handle audio. Bluetooth syncing between switch and phone, with headphones plugged into the phone to receive all audio info?

Freeman

Banned
What about keeping it simple? Juggling different devices sounds like a nightmare.

Makes no sense to me, what do we gain out of it?

Its looking like the WiiU all over again, too complicated for anyone but hardcore Nintendo fans.

Xdrive05

C'mon Reggie. Let's get a Nintendo Direct just about this app business. Clear up the confusion about function at least, even if it doesn't exist yet.

SgtCobra

I am very sorry for whoever I may offend with his but this sounds like shit, why Nintendo? Seriously, even Sony can come up with a semi decent online infrastructure network nowadays but why does this have to be your solution for the wrongdoings the Wii U did?

This is like the most Nintendoey thing they could've done to tackle this situation.

Snakeyes

I hope they plan to introduce the same functionality into the Switch itself at a later date because this sounds cumbersome as fuck.

The app would be great as an option, but not the only one.

Nydius

Gold Member
Im assuming this is just an app to accompany the service on the Switch. It's not like they'd make the only way to matchmake/VC limited to just the phone app.....Right?

The quote by Reggie sure implies all of those functions will be done on the smartphone app only.

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby.

LoveCake

Seriously. The last thing they need is confusion about their product. That's what happen with the Wii U and look how that ended up...

I have been saying this for weeks now, by not saying anything people are taking any piece of information and dissecting it trying to work it out without having all the pieces, the constant speculation is doing so much damage, I'm sure that Nintendo just think that it is good as people are talking about the Switch.

I cannot understand how nothing seems to be ready either, what have they been doing all this time?

I'm sorry I just cannot keep up with it all anymore, and adding to the negativity constantly, I don't want to be like this and do try to look for a positive.....

hatchx

Banned
Have they actually said that we can't use all of the said functions on the switch itself? Are we jumping to conclusions?

I mean, I don't mind the idea of having an iPhone app to manage friends, achievements, teams...but if I can't do it on my switch itself that is just blatantly retarded.

I have to be able to sit down on my fucking couch and get into an online game with a friend without any goddamn need for my phone.

Matticers

I mean, it's cool they have this for when you're on the go, I guess... but it's going to be absolutely awful to do this if you're sitting at home playing on the TV. I feel like everyone is going to hate this except for people who are on the go all the time.

Kusagari

So high speed internet is required to play on psn? Theres plenty of people without broadband.

You kind of need high speed internet to play online simply as a by product. There is zero reason online gaming needs a smart phone. Nintendo is simply adding something else needed for no reason.

woopWOOP

This is just terrible messaging right? I'm assuming it's just a companion app which is fine. I just can't understand how you mess up the message so bad it almost makes me think they've gone over the edge.
I'm guessing this is the case too.
If it's not tho, then damn.
Not gonna be angry about it until they explain how it all works exactly.
They've got six more weeks to do it!

Venom.

Just 3.5 years ago Don Mattrick revealed the Xbox One. It had a feature that allowed you to 'check-in' for verification simply by using your smartphone.

Maybe the Switch will be able to fully realise the smartphone's potential...

The abilty to do this is not a bad one,IMO. The question here is what can the itself system itself do if a phone is not available?

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
I know exactly why they are doing this: because they can't trust parents to implement parental controls.

That's an easy enough fix, enable them by DEFAULT.

I'd rather spend 30 seconds turning them off than deal with this BS.

A lot of times I think Nintendo gets really excited about a feature that has limited use cases, or is very kid-focused. And I think, "That's kind of cool and all but it's not really going to apply to me." Other times, the feature is so use-limited that I suspect it's Japan-centric. Like a carrying handle on the back of the Gamecube.

But then there's this. In which I can honestly think of no case, no matter how limited or specific, which would be superior to in-game services, or even a Switch app. I'm at a total loss. I'm baffled.

Honestly, seriously, if someone can describe any case where this is better or more convenient than built-in online features, I would be very interested to hear it. Because Nintendo surely must have its reasons.

KingV

The ONLY benefit I see for having some sort of app like this on your phone (besides it being an optional way to use these online features ALONGSIDE the Switch's ability to do so) is that having these online network features right on the phone could work for Ninendo's planned mobile output i.e. Animal Crossing, lobby up with your friends through this one app etc.

I have no idea how they are gonna handle audio. Bluetooth syncing between switch and phone, with headphones plugged into the phone to receive all audio info?

It could also retroactively be used to add voice chat to 3ds games like monster hunter.

theWB27

Looks like Nintendo wants to be the one company to give cell phones that push into mainstream it so desperately needs.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How the hell is this an elegant solution?

I guess Nintendo is reasoning that if you're in the segment that want to own a Switch, you're in the same segment that has a Smartphone.

If it's integrated seamlessly into games it could work, who doesn't have a smartphone? No need for the Switch to waste OS resources for browser and stuff like that when you can just do it via the phone.

If it works well it works well, to me personally it doesn't really matter much, but of course it would be preferable if it was handled via the system itself or, inside the games lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom