• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo genuinely baffles me. Sterling is absolutely on the money when he talks about "Nintendo moves", moves so fucking daft it's like you can't tell if it's coming from a place of stupidity or arrogance. This is indefensibly dull.

FyreWulff

Wait.. how is this UI going to work?

In games, the flow is understood. You select multiplayer or whatever, then it puts you in games, select modes.

on Switch, do they expect people to just select multiplayer and then "Please launch the Switch app" pops up? or you hit a button on the phone and it suddenly rips you out of where you are to a multiplayer lobby?.. which you could trigger with an in-game button press anyway?

Uh.... surely it should still be possible to set up squads and private lobbies in Splatoon 2 like how it's done in Splatoon 1 right? The communication at present seems terrible, but I'm hoping that the Switch phone app is meant to be a companion app, not the primary/only means of matchmaking and creating lobbies.

hwy_61

Banned
They really really need to do a Direct detailing their online services ASAP. The confusion and sheer bafflement about what they're doing is not good.

Seriously. The last thing they need is confusion about their product. That's what happen with the Wii U and look how that ended up...

brawly

Because if you're playing this on the go, you probably don't want to have to pack a specialized headset, whereas you almost certainly have your phone and perhaps a pair of expensive earbuds.

That's the thinking, anyway.

Which would make sense, if this was a handheld. It's not and 99% of the people will play online from home.

I don't understand how a company has become so divorced from its user base.

The Nintendo extreme hardcore fans defend anything ,eat it up and are the extremely vocal minority.
They have a set audience that will pat them on the back for every mistake.

And as bad as the Wii U is or Switch could every potentially be, you have people like me who would literally buy either system because it has the next Zelda.

So other peoples voice chat will come out of the Switch or your app? And what if you do have headphones for your switch, do you need one too for your smartphone?

Such a weird idea, dont trust Nintendo to flesh this out wisely

Chronos24

Ok so what about the 8 year old who wants to play mario kart and chat? I guess they assume even little kids have cell phones these days?

guek

Banned
This is where I'm at as well.
Every time they speak about online it's just sounding worse and worse so they just need to show us the full package already.

Yeah, none of this cryptic shit, it's making gaf more insufferable than usual.

Just shut your goddamn mouth, Reggie

An elegant solution....

latest

Audioboxer

It's almost as if their OS wasn't ready to be launched until 2018. No popular apps, vital system tools outsourced to iOS/Android?

What is going on?

*conspiracy hat*

Nintendo's new policy seems to be remove everything from the 3DS in the Switch that has ever been used to hack in homebrew.... Fear of browserhax!!111

Basically with this barricade everything behind a smartphone app as well so nothing is ran on the console lol. Dat locked down console.

Or Nintendo are just batshit insane and so out of touch.

zelas

Maybe we should stop complaining until we have a better idea of how it will work. Nintendo still hasn't revealed any concrete aspects of the online functions, maybe it will end up being not so bad.

You use the phone for online features. Nothing more needs to be said. No amount of details or dropping the price to $0 is going to make that acceptable in any way.

FluxWaveZ

Laughable. Guess people who don't own a smartphone are screwed.

Stuff like this is why it's amazing Nintendo thinks they can charge for online, when it's been a bad experience up until now.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm not sure what's funnier, the thought of Reggie's own internal dialogue about all the shit he is having to spin, or the poor fools trying *somehow* to see a positive in this.

It's okay guys, sometimes a company makes mistakes, it's OK to admit that, it's not innovation, it's not an interesting alternative to the competition, it's a shitshow sold as something good, accept it and hope that sometime in the future they hire someone with an ounce of sense.

Poor Reggie, I can only imagine the screams going on in his head.

Lkr

Oh wait, you have to pay for the app too right? Wow.
No you have to pay for online service and then the app is free to use.

This is kinda weird to me but if they're allowing lobbies and shit it could be kinda cool? It better be good but I'm willing to give it a shot I guess. I don't even play Nintendo games online since they suck.

Is it gonna be just iOS? Will it be on android?
Can you use your phone as a hotspot for the switch with it? If so that would be badass

Kathian

Banned
Well I'm still a big fan of this. Hopefully it works well and I think it will make things much easier through a phone.

I dunno, since when has Nintendo's user base been about online chat... or online gaming in general? How is one divorced from something they were never married to in the first place?

I really don't want to seem like an apologist, but as a life long Nintendo gamer, I rarely ever find myself playing online with their games. Mario Kart on the Wii was cool until hackers ruined it. Smash on Wii was awful, and on the Wii U was kinda a novelty at first, but I never really got into playing online.

To be honest, the only 2 games I ever enjoyed playing online on Nintendo systems were Mario Strikers Wii, and Splatoon. Neither had voice chat and were still fun to play online.

Would Nintendo games benefit from Voice Chat? I guess, its never been my thing, and I'll probably never use it, but options would be neat for those that do. I'd love it to change, but lets be real, "Nintendo Gaming" has never been associated with "Online Gaming" and to say the company is "divorced from its user base" needs to be further explained because that could not be further from the truth.

Well, that's you, personally, but I doubt Splatoon was sold on its single player.

And people keep downplaying Nintendo's online efforts when they themselves are making a massive charge to that area by including a fee for it.

Their online base is no longer old dudes who wanna just play single player all day. It's a collection of people, they've realized it and the community is pretty invested in online gaming. I don't know how anyone can pretend like it's not part of any console's ecosystem anymore.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It just keeps getting worse. Somehow? Like... you have to really go out of your way to make a fucked up 'solution' like this.

Dryk

The really big questions are still:

- Is there a way to mux game audio and voice chat through the phone?
- How does the Switch connect to the phone? And most importantly does it directly connect to the phone or does it have to connect via the Internet. Because that would be least elegant solution to online ever.

I don't understand. If you're at a hot spot, you're supposed to put your phone on speaker mode? How do you avoid using a headset?
The answer he gave is completely nonsensical because anything you can do in this regard on a smartphone you could do natively if they wanted.

People wanted Nintendo to go Mobile this is a smart way to get mobile users to interact with Nintendo Hardware IMO

everyone thinking this is bad idea are not thinking of the possible ways this can tie in to Nintendo's mobile titles in the future. Hopefully Nintendo is thinking things through

Ambient80

This actually makes a lot of sense since this is a portable console, without a 4G connection. If you're on the go without wifi, you can make your own hotspot then do voice chat and stuff on the phone too.

That said, they should really have an integrated solution too. I've never actually chatted on a console though (mostly play on PC), so I have no expectations really. I imagine ppl used to PS/XBOX would be really confused by this.

Ah cool, so in addition to buying the console and paying for their online service, I also have to pay more to ATT to be able to set up my hotspot and tether to another device. How convenient!

I misread the initial quote (thought it said how do you chat/play at the same time). But I'm going to assume you just put in your ear buds into the phone/put speaker on. That part isn't too much of a hassle.

Unless you want the voice chat and game audio into the same headphones then... I dunno, will it route the voice chat into the game somehow?
Your first paragraph though is a thing of the past, the way the 360 and PS3 did. If it will do your second paragraph, then that's awesome.

Xdrive05

They really really need to do a Direct detailing their online services ASAP. The confusion and sheer bafflement about what they're doing is not good.

Truth.

They need to explain this online app like right fucking now. Who knows. Maybe it works well and provides something you can't get otherwise.

How the fuck do devs make their games work online then? Do they have to interface with this app thing too? How does that work with multiplats?

Moneal

but if you are in a hotspot, why can't the system do those things? its connected to the net to play games online. why not the other stuff? It makes no sense. sure there are bulky gaming headsets, but there are also small headsets(you know similar to the ones people use on their phones). I just don't understand this decision.

D i Z

Have you guys considered that they don't want to have these features become standard, and they are actively trying to tank the notion right out of the gate? Maybe they don't want the responsibility of having to learn, pay the fees for, and maintain any of this? Not only that, if these features become standard, then they have to implement them in all things. And take the creativity outside of the sandbox. They'll also having to officially compete with every other service out there that does it better, across all formats, and include all of the features and programs that we use elsewhere that they can't oversee. They can't control that message. Doesn't make their walled garden look so pristine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom