• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remakes & Remasters: Which 80s or 90s game do you think should finally be treated properly?

DryvBy

I was looking in my GOG collection and was blasted back to the days of Ultima, and I thought about Ultima 7 and how it was so amazing yet it's lost in the fabrics of time. Even Todd Howard was inspired by this gem of a game!
I started digging and there's a fan remake in the works, but no official game.

There's an entire old list of games I'd love to see get some sort of modern treatment, similar to how Nightdive Studios tackles the FPS genre. So what's a list of games you'd love to see remastered?

My list:
- Ultima Series
- Legend of Kyrandia Trilogy
- Outlaws
- Road Rash Trilogy
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Cannon Fodder 1 & 2

rm082e

I would like to see a "perfect clone" of Symphony of the Night with modern day graphics. Use the original audio, keep everything exactly the same, just replace all the artwork with modern high res assets.

My first Ultima was part VII, and I was blown away when I realized you could bake bread and fly kites. The combat was hot garbage, but exploring the world was amazing.
Then came Pagan, and man, that game was fuckin terrible. Ascension was even worse, the series really ended on a shit note.

I’d say Star Control, but happily that was just funded via kickstarter with the original guys at the helm so I am hyped for that.

I’d love another single player Phantasy Star, miss me with the multiplayer titles.

I’d also take a remake for the Eye of the Beholder series.

Phase

I would love to see a remake of The Legend Zelda: A Link To The Past. Make it a full 3D Zelda game using today's modern tech. I think it could be amazing.
Agree. Nintendo's the only company I'd have enough confidence in to try something like this.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A version of Vagrant Story that doesn't expect me to go to the menus every five minutes to change weapons would be cool.

Would also love to have modern versions of SMT I and II and Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology, with press-turn battle system.

The problem with remakes/remasters is that a lot of devs seem to think that art design doesn't matter, and many remasters/remakes out there butcher the look and feel of the original games, which is a shame.

Killjoy-NL

Raziel_2.jpg

StereoVsn

I was looking in my GOG collection and was blasted back to the days of Ultima, and I thought about Ultima 7 and how it was so amazing yet it's lost in the fabrics of time. Even Todd Howard was inspired by this gem of a game!
I started digging and there's a fan remake in the works, but no official game.

There's an entire old list of games I'd love to see get some sort of modern treatment, similar to how Nightdive Studios tackles the FPS genre. So what's a list of games you'd love to see remastered?

My list:
- Ultima Series
- Legend of Kyrandia Trilogy
- Outlaws
- Road Rash Trilogy
- Fallout 1 & 2
- Cannon Fodder 1 & 2

Ultima VII (for both parts) Remake would be amazing. But considering the world and interactivity we are talking FFVII Rebirth level of effort here.

digdug2

Hey Koei Tecmo, please give me a Rygar remaster/reimagining with the graphics style of the Wonderboy 3 remaster or Monster Boy. That would be incredible. Thanks.

I want to see Might & Magic: World of Xeen. I loved it back in the day, before it crashed and I lost all my progress. I see that similar early dungeon crawlers like Bard's Tale and Wizardry were brought back. But M&M was my favorite.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Everyone is a little tired of the remakes and remasters. It’s lazy.

If I was forced to pick one it would be Vagrant Story, since it would work well in 2025. I still prefer new games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ultima VII (for both parts) Remake would be amazing. But considering the world and interactivity we are talking FFVII Rebirth level of effort here.
Divinity Original Sin had somewhat comparable interactivity and detail, although IIRC it didn't have the NPC schedules. Larian actually said that U7 was a huge inspiration.

So it can be done.

StereoVsn

Divinity Original Sin had somewhat comparable interactivity and detail, although IIRC it didn't have the NPC schedules. Larian actually said that U7 was a huge inspiration.

So it can be done.
It could be of course, but I just don’t know any dev except for Larian who wouldn’t f it up.

intbal

Descent to Undermountain

A legendary technical failure that could have been a great game.

I also wouldn't say no to a relatively faithful Trespasser remake.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Xenogears remade with the visual flair of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Chrono Trigger with a 2D-HD treatment.

And I would also like to see one of my neighbors remade with breast implants.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Breath of fire 4, zelda botw style
The game speak itself, turn based rpg, with lot of unusual rpg flare, with feels like botw before botw
zPHm5qy.png

Minish cap, zelda wind waker style [ not 80s, 90s, but still... ]
I can only imagine, how well the world of mini "minish" fairy in 3D, like toy story in medieval
B6zaKqN.jpeg
7TyKcxB.png

hMPan9d.jpeg
VlFr6cl.png

dang, there are lot of games but i'm too lazy to write : ))

HL3.exe

Remake JP: Trespasser. Unironically.

It had some great ideas, fucked up by flawed execution and overambitious scope for the tech at the time.

Physically based dinosaur animation so they stick their head dynamic through a window and hit other physics. Let's go.

images

Top Bottom