• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remakes & Remasters: Which 80s or 90s game do you think should finally be treated properly?

Trilobit

Gold Member
The SNES DKC games should get a graphical overhaul, but keep their tight controls.

d7d1k5e-9da86e52-1459-4a63-9943-4f78944dedbb.jpg

Super Mario 64. Nintendo should be ashamed for not having done a remake of it with stellar graphics.

They could even keep a 90s retro feel while still making it modern.

nkyYOli.png

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
My picks are technically late 90s and early 2000s, but I would love to see remasters or remakes of these games:
  • Legacy of Kain series
  • Thief 1 & 2
  • Fallout 1 & 2
  • Medal of Honor (1999)
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  • Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  • Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf
  • Black & White

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I still have my disc copy. I beat it maybe 10 years ago and just haven't been able to return. A remaster would fix that.
Aye, I never beat it. It utterly thrashed me back then

Another remake I wouldnt mind happening is Dreamweb. Still got my big box and Diary of a madman for that too

qH5OYej.png

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Here's a question for you retro people. I wanted to post a game I wanted remade but the name eludes me so couldnt post it, its been bugging me for ages. It was a 3rd person Dos game, the people looked a bit like bubbles (It was early 3d), you had a sword..

I think on the front of the big box was a man holding a woman's hand, with a wolf type creature in the background, teeth showing..

Encarta?
Enchanted?
Enshrouded?

i dont know. I dont even think it was that popular, but it was brilliant

One of the first Dos games I played (I was an Amiga lad..)

Really want to know the name of it :unsure:

DryvBy

Here's a question for you retro people. I wanted to post a game I wanted remade but the name eludes me so couldnt post it, its been bugging me for ages. It was a 3rd person Dos game, the people looked a bit like bubbles (It was early 3d), you had a sword..

I think on the front of the big box was a man holding a woman's hand, with a wolf type creature in the background, teeth showing..

Encarta?
Enchanted?
Enshrouded?

U0ZwrMb.jpeg

This?

diffusionx

Gold Member

Encarta?
Enchanted?
Enshrouded?

Little Big Adventure/Twinsen's Odyssey?

Edit: nm

Last edited:
Might and Magic similar to MM3-5 (My Favorite PC rpg series from the era , well outside of the Gold box games and we got BG3 so I won't include them) :
Might_and_Magic_IV_cover.jpg
mm5-dos3.png

Might and Magic similar to 6-8:
mm6.jpg
B1E59B77B3B4A0CDA59AC289B760BA393615106A

Wizardry similar to Wiz 8:

Wizardry_8_box.jpg
Kloki38_659b1e90252bf.jpg

Ultima similar to ultima 5-7 and underworld:
Ultima_6_cover.png
images
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
ultima-underworld-2-pc-14.png

Wing Commander 1-4 (and also a early 2000s game ,freelancer):
MV5BZDdlNWI1MzctYzYyMy00NTZlLWI2MDEtNWNkM2IxODVlMjVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,2,190,281_.jpg
01.png
wc4a-1.jpg

Sim City (because after sim city 4 we haven't had a proper single player game, skylines alone isn't cutting it:
SimCity_Classic_cover_art.jpg
1*LSTLslH_7ZXgoRuY6LUiQA.png

Duke Nukem - Come on now , we need him now more than ever... I don't think it can be done with todays wimpy no backbone woke pubs and devs, especially due to Gearbox owinging the ip:
duke-nukem-3d-button-1643312464438.jpg
duke3d_9f7ad9f6808e4e0baac7a6d4362244ea.jpg

For console:

Phantasy Star
an rpg, like the first 4 games, not online crap. Been playing PS 1 on switch from sega ages and its awesome!
hqdefault.jpg
d858f13104f047dddbaf8ec09bbfeba5.jpg

Populous ( i know on pc too, but I remember the genesis version fondly):
s-l1200.jpg
populousgenesisone.gif

Mega Man Legends:
(Why can't they make a new one, or at least port the originals , they are stuck on ps1, why? The release a million copies of the x series which imo was crap compared to 1-8 and legends )
MV5BYWUzYmRkNjEtYWFkZS00OTYwLWFiNzMtZmViOTk5ZDM1OGUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Vagrant Story:
Its a crime that we never got a sequel, one of my Favorite PS1 gems..
vagrant-story-ps1-wide.jpg
1*6xmREb-P0F0HYSiyPZaFSw.jpeg

Parasite Eve: Square is sitting on so many goldmines and instead they just release more ff and others when they have so much backlog from the ps1 that was never touched:
Devs and pubs want "strong woman" but they won't do them like this, strong, attractive, sensual, kicks ass, and takes names... They don't make em like this anymore :messenger_sad_relieved:
Parasite-Eve-Best-Game.jpg
pe008.jpg

Vandal Hearts:

Mature rated tactical turn based strategy. They did a low effort flash art xblive game in the 2000s but it was shit, it was school kids and looked horrible, not a political drama with mature themes. This was game of thrones (along with tactics ogre) before got.
Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png
Vandal-Hearts-4.jpg

Road Rash:
Why haven't' we gotten one since ps1. Why is EA such shit? This game was amazing on the Genesis and PS1. Get on it.
road_rash.png
road-rash-history-cover.jpg

Suikoden: Yeah I know we got Eiyuden Chronicles but its not the same.
Also Konami where the f is the remaster , wtf...it was supposed to come out last year and you folks are silent , crickets.

Suikoden2_NA.jpg
qGkBsLVAp75sBiBjESLzfn.jpg
s2war.jpg

Blood Omen/ Soul Reaver:

soul-reaver-2022.jpg
7-1669673736-604752067_1.jpg
ss_a83cdf97fa3f5b131d6858c0501ee5045a9ee041.1920x1080.jpg

I could go on and on, for this era, and its sad that so many companies are holding on to ip, won't make sequels, or hell won't even release remasters. I don't even need a remake, just do like the movie industry and touch up the resolution/frame rate, maybe a texture upres pass, etc and release them.

Last edited:

MattVT

I would love to see a modern take on Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode in the style of a Metal Gear stealth game. The original had both side-scrolling and rudimentary first-person gameplay. It also had on-foot levels, underwater levels, and vehicular levels. It would work really well as modern semi-open world, story-driven game.

I would love to see Road Rash re-imagined as a colourful Sega style super scaler.
I expect Super scaling to be the next hip take on classic games by indies. There's just a few of them, like Missile Dancer 2 & the upcoming Victory Heat Rally.
We did get some indies, but nothing AAA. I doubt we will ever get a road rash 3d with licensed rock music, for one EA hates single player, EA hates Road Rash, EA hates, Rock and metal in racing games, EA would call it toxic masculinity having aggressive motorcyclists.

Road Redemption, s the closet we have to Road Rash, but its an indie roguelike.

Two switch/pc games I remember from recent years 80s overdrive and Horizon Chase Turbo.
Both games look super scaler, but it may be different tech.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Call me crazy but I saw this topic and instantly thought of ultima series and than I saw the first post! 100% an isometric Diablo like ultima remake would be mind blowing!!

DryvBy

This was a stealth thread to get people's favorite games so I can fill in gaps of stuff I'm missing!

For real, there's a ton of classics just sitting around collecting dust. I'd even be ok with some fan remakes of some of these if they were well done.

xrnzaaas

I'd love to play a remake of Amiga's Walker. Keep it 2d while upgrading the visuals and expanding the mechanics a bit (like adding an upgrade system or more weapons). Hoursemarque before they went AAA would be great at that considering how great Resogun ended up being.

jcorb

Honestly, Golden Axe is the first one that comes to mind. When Sega showed off that killer trailer, what was it, last year? Announcing a whole bunch of games in the works, the brief glimpse at Golden Axe looked *incredible*.

I really feel like there's an enormous hole in the market for something with that over-the-top 80's action-hero sort of flair, and I honestly just really dig the idea of being some big, buff dude with a sword, wreaking havoc on some enemies.

There's really no meaningful footage, so this is only a hope and a dream. But man, I *really* hope they can make a fun, arcade sort of experience.

The_hunter

Zelda OOT and MM remastered.

Deus ex and System Shock 2 remake by Nightdive.

The old FinalFantasy games in the style of Mario rpg remake.

Last edited:

daffyduck

Metal Gear 1 with the Solid format. I know that the MSX version is superior, but with a Halo jump in the opening.

Simon's Quest, including mapping.

Top Bottom