• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

I'm 100% sure the new firmwares did improve the compression and responsiveness of remote play tremondously. If people were not satisfied with the quality of remote play before, they definitely should try the feature again because it's night and day.

DieH@rd

Banned
How is Ground Zeroes remote play?

Excellent! Although they put all the additional buttons on the back touch area, which is VERY BAD. Using binoculas for marking stuff is almost impossible.

BTW, am I mad or did SuckerPuch modified their control scheme? I did not played much Second Son via RT, but yesterday when I tried it, Dualshock's L1/R1 were binded to lower corners of the front screen. Was it always that way, or is this new?

DieH@rd

Banned
Has anyone had issues with trophies? I played Infamous using remote play and it played wonderfully, but I think i missed a trophy.

Vita is only emulating DS4 controller and it receives real-time video stream from PS4 DVR. If you did not receive some trophy, you either did something wrong or you have encountered game bug.

baconcow

Eh not really? Routers can offer far far more robust connection then the PS4's rather poor wifi card could. The general recommendation to most people in this thread is to turn off their direct connection because in a lot of causes it is a weaker solution.

You can always replace a router with a more powerful, better model but you're stuck with the PS4's fairly poor wifi card

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the majority of people are likely sending data from their PS4 to their router, wirelessly. Because of this, if the PS4's WiFi is indeed the weakest link in the connection, then your overall signal will not be limited by what goes directly from the PS4 to the Vita, but what goes from the PS4 to your (more powerful) router (unless you have your router plugged into your PS4 through wired connection, which I will assume no for this scenario, otherwise this is a non-concern). Therefore, if your PS4 WiFi signal is crap, the router will only relay this crap signal. Therefore, if you are placed closer and in better WiFi signal location to the PS4 (than your router is to your PS4, which is likely common unless your router sits in direct line-of-sight to your PS4), there should be no technical way the router could possibly provide a better signal to the Vita, from the PS4. Unless I am missing an aspect of the role your router plays during remote play (since remote play concerns both receiving and sending a signal).

Raonak

Banned
Played some resogun via remote play. so amazing how responsive it is.
not sure if it's just placebo, but I have to echo the statement that the update seems to have improved remote play.

Danlord

Infamous SS chugs on RP,

but when it works, its like sorcery!

Limit the frame-rate to 30 on Infamous, it may look like it's stuttering but might be something to do with running above 30fps and Remote Play only works to 30fps Max so it could cause some issues with the extra frames.

baconcow

Played some resogun via remote play. so amazing how responsive it is.
not sure if it's just placebo, but I have to echo the statement that the update seems to have improved remote play.

That would be nice, if it did. Was seeing a little lag in my setup (which is not ideal, as my router is in a crap location and I want to play far from my PS4).

FenDozer

I keep getting an error that the connection speed of my Playstation Vita is too slow. I've tried using my Vita 3 feet away from my PS4 and still end up losing connection after a few seconds.

Unfortunately, due to the structure of my house I cannot directly connect my PS4 to the router. Am I out of luck with remote play since I cannot directly connect my PS4 to the router (instead I have to rely on wifi connection for my PS4)?

Some notes about my setup:
- My download speed is 15 Mbps.
- I am running a direct connection to my PS4. I have also tried not having direct connection with the same poor results.
- I have never modified the channel settings for my router (as I'm not sure of a good channel to use or how to change the channel).
- I do have a lot of devices in my house hooked up to wifi (360, Xbone, PS4, PS3, iPad, 2 iPhones, 2 smart TVs, and 2 bluray players -- although rarely are many of those devices turned on -- usually only the smart tv, phones, and video games)

I'll gladly provide anymore information... I am just begging for some help to get remote play functioning. As a father, it is hard to get TV time & this would allow me to get a lot more quality time in w/ my system.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

DieH@rd

Banned
Can you manually check your WiFi saturation with iOS/Android/computer [for example with InSSIDer]? 2.4GHz range is what is used by both Vita and PS4. If you can find open space in the spectre, you can change WiFI channel on Vita.

Internet download speed is irrelevant and presence of router is optional. Try to turn off every WiFi device around you to see if situation gets better. Try to unhook HDMI cable from PS4, that works for some [dunno why].

FenDozer

Can you manually check your WiFi saturation with iOS/Android/computer? 2.4GHz range is what is used by both Vita and PS4.

I'm sorry, but how do you check your WiFi saturation? I only have access to iOS & computer devices. Unfortunately, I'm at work now, but I can check when I get home tonight.

Bold One

Limit the frame-rate to 30 on Infamous, it may look like it's stuttering but might be something to do with running above 30fps and Remote Play only works to 30fps Max so it could cause some issues with the extra frames.

9UI8uiX.gif

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the majority of people are likely sending data from their PS4 to their router, wirelessly. Because of this, if the PS4's WiFi is indeed the weakest link in the connection, then your overall signal will not be limited by what goes directly from the PS4 to the Vita, but what goes from the PS4 to your (more powerful) router (unless you have your router plugged into your PS4 through wired connection, which I will assume no for this scenario, otherwise this is a non-concern). Therefore, if your PS4 WiFi signal is crap, the router will only relay this crap signal. Therefore, if you are placed closer and in better WiFi signal location to the PS4 (than your router is to your PS4, which is likely common unless your router sits in direct line-of-sight to your PS4), there should be no technical way the router could possibly provide a better signal to the Vita, from the PS4. Unless I am missing an aspect of the role your router plays during remote play (since remote play concerns both receiving and sending a signal).

Yes my suggestion is assuming you achevie a direct wired connection to the PS4 from your router

Wirelessly connecting your PS4 to your router and then connecting via the router for RP would be a worse experience almost certainly

There are however several options to give a better than wireless connection between your PS4 and router

Unfortunately, due to the structure of my house I cannot directly connect my PS4 to the router. Am I out of luck with remote play since I cannot directly connect my PS4 to the router (instead I have to rely on wifi connection for my PS4)?

Never say never. This is a suggestion to improve your setup but if you don't feel like spending money on it Dieh@rds suggestion to test wifi saturation/interference is your best bet

But if you're willing to spend a little money on it, a powerline adapter will allow you to basically connect your PS4 to your router via a wired connection. It's not quite a wired connection but far superior to wifi in my experience

Powerline adapters plug into electrical outlets in your house. One next to your router and the other one next to the device you want to "direct" connect. They take the wired internet signal from your router and send it across your electrical wiring in your house to provide an almost guaranteed more robust internet signal than wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...ne+adapter&ie=UTF8&qid=1398952602&rnid=493964

You have to make sure you get two adapters as since they are flexible they can be in more than 2 instances at once thus you can use odd numbers so they tend to also sell them in single packs.

Maybe something like this for you?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081FLFQE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

KalBalboa

Banned
Excellent! Although they put all the additional buttons on the back touch area, which is VERY BAD. Using binoculas for marking stuff is almost impossible.

BTW, am I mad or did SuckerPuch modified their control scheme? I did not played much Second Son via RT, but yesterday when I tried it, Dualshock's L1/R1 were binded to lower corners of the front screen. Was it always that way, or is this new?

I played through two missions last night and had a damn-near impossible time getting my iDroid and pause menu to pop up reliably. Am I missing something?

Otherwise, it ran great. 1.70 seems to have made Remote Play that much smoother, too.

FenDozer

Yes my suggestion is assuming you achevie a direct wired connection to the PS4 from your router

Wirelessly connecting your PS4 to your router and then connecting via the router for RP would be a worse experience almost certainly

There are however several options to give a better than wireless connection between your PS4 and router

Never say never. This is a suggestion to improve your setup but if you don't feel like spending money on it Dieh@rds suggestion to test wifi saturation/interference is your best bet

But if you're willing to spend a little money on it, a powerline adapter will allow you to basically connect your PS4 to your router via a wired connection. It's not quite a wired connection but far superior to wifi in my experience

Powerline adapters plug into electrical outlets in your house. One next to your router and the other one next to the device you want to "direct" connect. They take the wired internet signal from your router and send it across your electrical wiring in your house to provide an almost guaranteed more robust internet signal than wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...ne+adapter&ie=UTF8&qid=1398952602&rnid=493964

You have to make sure you get two adapters as since they are flexible they can be in more than 2 instances at once thus you can use odd numbers so they tend to also sell them in single packs.

Maybe something like this for you?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081FLFQE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wow, thanks for the great help. I can always attempt a direct connection temporarily and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'll look into those adapters... that would be fantastic!

Also, how do I test my wifi saturation/interference? I've searched for apps to do this, but it seems all of the free ones are only available on Android. Anyone have an app I can run on my computer or iOS?

Wow, thanks for the great help. I can always attempt a direct connection temporarily and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'll look into those adapters... that would be fantastic!

Also, how do I test my wifi saturation/interference? I've searched for apps to do this, but it seems all of the free ones are only available on Android. Anyone have an app I can run on my computer or iOS?

Hmm maybe try this?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

It is a good idea to try a wired connection temporarily [via some long awkward Ethernet cable for instance] to see if it improves the experience

Man, remote play is just shit for me since the update(s). Whether it's connecting directly in person or actually-remote from work, it either won't connect at all or connects and promptly drops after a few moments. Wired connection on the PS4, wireless coverage isn't an issue with the PSV.

Man, remote play is just shit for me since the update(s). Whether it's connecting directly in person or actually-remote from work, it either won't connect at all or connects and promptly drops after a few moments. Wired connection on the PS4, wireless coverage isn't an issue with the PSV.

You're saying it got worse with the 1.7 update for you? That's odd and a bit disappointing to hear. I assume you have "direct connect" turned off and are using your router for connecting?

You're saying it got worse with the 1.7 update for you? That's odd and a bit disappointing to hear. I assume you have "direct connect" turned off and are using your router for connecting?

Is it better to use the router even if you close to it. I used it over wifi last night and it worked fine, I would think it would be even run better when directly connected. Why would you want to turn off direct connect?

Is it better to use the router even if you close to it. I used it over wifi last night and it worked fine, I would think it would be even run better when directly connected. Why would you want to turn off direct connect?

Hmm if you're in the same room and under say 10 feet away with clear line of sight then I could see direct connect being a better option

It really depends on your router. A really good router will outperform the PS4's honestly quite awful wifi card in any scenario over say 12 feet in my opinion simply because the antenna design in the PS4 isn't very robust but yes if you're sitting in front of the PS4 on a couch then sure direct connect might be somewhat better than a good router solution

Hmm if you're in the same room and under say 10 feet away with clear line of sight then I could see direct connect being a better option

It really depends on your router. A really good router will outperform the PS4's honestly quite awful wifi card in any scenario over say 12 feet in my opinion simply because the antenna design in the PS4 isn't very robust but yes if you're sitting in front of the PS4 on a couch then sure direct connect might be somewhat better than a good router solution

You make a good point and if I'm going to use remote play I will most likely be further away, but is there any benefit to turning off direct connect?

Since we are on the topic of connectivity, I have noticed that the 2.4n radio just isn't cutting it. I have a pair of dlink powerlinks rated at 200mbps and was going to connect it through that in the hopes of a better connection. I am struggling if I should stay with the 200mbps ones or buy faster 500mbps ones with gig ethernet.

Since we are on the topic of connectivity, I have noticed that the 2.4n radio just isn't cutting it. I have a pair of dlink powerlinks rated at 200mbps and was going to connect it through that in the hopes of a better connection. I am struggling if I should stay with the 200mbps ones or buy faster 500mbps ones with gig ethernet.

Your PS4 is connected wirelessly now I take it? If so then yes definitely hook up the powerline adapters instead. I would try the ones you have first and see if the expereince is acceptable. I think gigabit ones might be a bit better for RP but it's hard to tell as it should just use a set amount of bandwidth

I believe it's one of the built-in mappings that Sony allows developers to use. Assassin's Creed 4 also used that scheme and it worked excellently.

I wish they'd allow us to pick the control mapping we want to use. Four buttons on the back touch is brutal...

Frazley

I'm not getting the screen mapping, on FFXIV I'm still getting the rear touchpad mapping. I am using the virtual mouse though, is that causing it to use the rear touchpad or is there a setting I need to flip on Vita or FFXIV?

FenDozer

Bold One

Would you mind posting an update if my suggestion was good, I was just taking an educated guess and can't test it myself at the moment.

Thanks.

I got home quite late last night spent the rest of the night downloading the update for Warframe, I have really shitty internet connection.

I haven't the chance to try Infamous SS again on RP. Will try tonight

Thanks

Does anyone know of a recent way to remote play without updating the Vita firmware after the 1.70 update?
I've tried blocking everything and setting incorrect DNS entries on both the vita and ps4 to no avail.
I don't really play many psp games but I want to keep the ability to play home brew on the go.

Frazley

At some point you might not be able to log into PSN. When one of the updates released in February, I had to update before I could use remote play.

How do I know if my Vita is connected directly or through wifi?

My PS4 is connected via cable to my router while the Vita is connected via wifi.

DieH@rd

Banned

My PS4 is connected via cable to my router while the Vita is connected via wifi.

Vita can connect to PS4 only via WiFi.

Direct connection is PS4 - Vita, no router required
Non-Direct connection - PS4 (cable/wifi) - Router - Vita

Vita can connect to PS4 only via WiFi.

Direct connection is PS4 - Vita, no router required
Non-Direct connection - PS4 (cable/wifi) - Router - Vita

So to do the direct connection, do I turn off internet access for both the consoles and try to connect them directly?

Had an interesting experience w/Remote Play. Downloaded the CoD: Ghosts Multiplayer demo. I played LOTS of Blops2 on my Wii U gamepad remotely, so I was eager to relive that experience on my Vita. Technically, the game worked well enough. Remote Play works fantastically, but the experience of playing on the Vita made me sad. The Vita is too small, the analog numbs are uncomfortable, and because i had a direct memory associated with remote play couch-based CoD, the comparison was unavoidable.

I've enjoyed the novelty of playing remotely, but find myself looking forward to the ability to use that same tech to stream games to my iPAD and to use my DS4 while letting my tablet serve as the screen. I've not enjoyed actually *playing* any PS4 game on the VITA. It's just too awkwardly designed to transfer the experience. Second Son, Outlast, Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution, Ghosts...none felt right.

This is one of those rare times where I'll have to give the nod to the Wii U. If Nintendo had the foresight to separate the Wii U gamepad from it's digital umbilical, I'm convinced that is the better remote play experience. CoD: Ghosts, and, pretty much EVERY game I played on that gamepad was incredible. Rarely played on my TV.

Vita gets props for having the technology perfected, though. It's still a little magical that I can entertain the idea of playing PS4 games on the go.

sock

Copied settings from http://billtang.tumblr.com

Short version:
1) Forward UDP/TCP 9295-9304
2) Enable NAT-PMP and set your PS4's IP as the default host

I was able to connect from work today, whereas before I was limited to my LAN.

Whoop. There it is.

If your PS4 is connected via ethernet cable and you checked the direct connection checkbox in PS4 settings, then you are connected directly for sure...

repeater

I've been having problems with the responsiveness and quality of Remote Play on my current entry-level router. I've found a good deal on the Netgear WNDR3400 N600 router, so I'm curious whether someone on GAF uses this router and can report on their Remote Play experiences with it? Would be much appreciated.

Remote play is getting some good use from my vita.im playing infamous second son in San Diego with my pa4 back in la.besides the disconnect every 15-30 minutes or so it's been fun for what it is

wilflare

really loving RemotePlay! just one question though, the volume is awfully soft when I'm playing inFamous. any idea why?

really hope Sony can increase the FPS to 30. and allow us to use the DS4

kuroshiki

Is there anyway I can force vita to direct connection with ps4.

Sometimes it is automatically connect to wifi.. and my ps4 isnt connected with roiter physically. With direct connect game is ultra playable. Over wifi not so much.

SeanR1221

I've noticed with the new vita I can get a better direct connection from the first floor to the basement.

Before, the old vita couldn't keep a steady connection unless I was on the same floor as the ps4. Now I can directly connect from my living room.

Top Bottom