• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

When in the Vita network settings and you see PS4 as a wireless access point and it asks for a WPA key Password ?

Is there such a password that would allow the Vita to connect from here or is it not possible to connect at this point and it is done behind the scenes when you press the PS4 remote play icon on the vita itself ?

Tried all passwords that would be applicable and even the 8 digit code the PS4 gives for initial Vita setup, but no joy.

Beginning to think this password is not something the user creates or picks but is done between the PS4 and Vita themselves once you initiate remote play through the icon.

Is this right ?

No definitive answer on Google searches either.

Thank you

Is there anyway I can force vita to direct connection with ps4.

Sometimes it is automatically connect to wifi.. and my ps4 isnt connected with roiter physically. With direct connect game is ultra playable. Over wifi not so much.
How do you even know which one it's doing?

Mattiator

Hello all,
Quick question if I use my wifi on my vita and my ps4 hooked up to the router for remote play does that eat up my data??
Thanks for any response :)

GD71

Banned
I have found a rather unfortunate issue with remote play. It becomes unusable if you have an Xbox One console switched on. I own both next generation platforms. My kids have taken to playing plants vs zombies and killer instinct. I thought I'd get some remote play in whilst the kids have taken over the telly but find that I get a 1 second long pause every couple of seconds over remote play. As soon as the XB1 is turned off the problem disappears. It's 100% repeatable. Extremely disappointing.

I have found a rather unfortunate issue with remote play. It becomes unusable if you have an Xbox One console switched on. I own both next generation platforms. My kids have taken to playing plants vs zombies and killer instinct. I thought I'd get some remote play in whilst the kids have taken over the telly but find that I get a 1 second long pause every couple of seconds over remote play. As soon as the XB1 is turned off the problem disappears. It's 100% repeatable. Extremely disappointing.

Sounds like interference. You can try to change the Ad-Hoc mode channel or turn off direct connection entirely and use your Router instead.

GD71

Banned
Sounds like interference. You can try to change the Ad-Hoc mode channel or turn off direct connection entirely and use your Router instead.

Happens both via router and direct. Interestingly it doesn't happen if the Xbox one pads are off. Not that that helps much. Must be interference from MS Wifi Direct.

Are you saying there's a channel option connecting direct?

Bailers

Still haven't had any luck connecting outside the house. Uverse internet, vita can't find the PS4 through the internet.

Synless

I bought a new router (Netgear Nighthawk) and I still can't get this damn thing to connect to my PS4 over the internet. I have a 30Mb connection, this is ridiculous. Are there some settings I should be putting in my routers setup for both the vita and ps4?

Trace

Banned
I bought a new router (Netgear Nighthawk) and I still can't get this damn thing to connect to my PS4 over the internet. I have a 30Mb connection, this is ridiculous. Are there some settings I should be putting in my routers setup for both the vita and ps4?

Are your ports forwarded? Make sure your PS4 is setup with a static IP and you forward port 9304.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When using "Connect Directly With Vita", the two systems just send their data to each other, correct? No bandwidth being used? Similar to the Wii U?

I intend to use it in a small apartment and don't want to use up any bandwidth while doing so / keep my router free for other devices.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
I think my remote play died completely... I manage to connect but it's unplayable and get disconnected in the ps4 dash if I just move around the icons. Direct connection doesn't work even if I hold my vita in front of the ps4, connection via wifi is also a no go. I think it's done. I wanted to buy a vita 2000 anyway but I don't want the borderlands pack

can someone help me with remote play?

I've been using my remote play using direct connection within the same room and it work great, but now that I moved my PS4 to another room, I start having problem with remote play.

the problem is that my vita no longer reliable connect to PS4 via direct connection because we're in different room, with walls separating the two device, the stream will get pixelated, laggy, and simply disconnected randomly.

I want to connect my vita to ps4 via home wifi but I'm not sure how to do that. should I disable the 'direct connect' option on ps4 remote play? but when I do that, my vita says that it tried to searching ps4 via internet, it just keep searching until I got error message unable to connect to server. I'm not even sure if it find the ps4 or not.

SeanR1221

Made a thread but no one responded

I love the concept of remote play, but I can't get it working properly.

The situation:

My PS4 is in my basement and is hooked up wirelessly. Wired is unfortunately not an option until I have a contractor eventually come out and run wire, but I have no idea when that will be.

I want to play PS4 on my vita on the main floor in my living room. Direct connect is no good because the PS4 is obviously too far away upstairs.

So over wifi it is.

Now when I check out speed test on my MacBook, I get this

3635652550.png

From my iPhone I get around 15Mbps...the Vita says 6...and the PS4 says 16

Ok so big difference from what I get wirelessly on my MacBook

So when connected over wifi, the vita is spotty as hell. I frequently get graphical fragments and occasional hiccups and disconnects.

I went to a friends house today where I got about the same wifi speeds and remotely connected to my PS4 and it worked perfectly! Now I realize when I'm home, both the PS4 and Vita being on the wifi puts a strain on the same network, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious

I have Verizon Fios and use the Verizon wireless router they include if that matters

Also, I've tried those wall outlet lan line things and it just trips the breaker in my basement.

Maligna

Banned
Has anyone tested how far you can play your PS4 on Vita through internet remote play?

Here's my conundrum: The Destiny Beta, if you play at a certain time on July 26th you get an item unlocked for when the full game comes out. However, on that day I'll be flying from my home on the east coast, all the way to the other side of Canada, on the west coast. If I leave my PS4 in sleep mode, do you think I'll be able to connect to it via hotel wi-fi across the continent? Or is the distance too far?

Anyone done across country remote play yet?

Seeing this thread come back to life inspired me...I messed around with the router and finally got remote play to work on any open wifi connection. Very pleased! Curious to see how far away from the home network I can get.

To those still having issues connecting, I offer up some sincere moral support. Funny enough, after scouring the internet for every nugget of info, the official PSN manual got me over the hump.

Has anyone tested how far you can play your PS4 on Vita through internet remote play?

Here's my conundrum: The Destiny Beta, if you play at a certain time on July 26th you get an item unlocked for when the full game comes out. However, on that day I'll be flying from my home on the east coast, all the way to the other side of Canada, on the west coast. If I leave my PS4 in sleep mode, do you think I'll be able to connect to it via hotel wi-fi across the continent? Or is the distance too far?

Someone successfully remote played from Czech republic to the US so it's possible. Would be fairly laggy though

Loomba

2 Questions please:

1. If my PS4 is connected at home, can I play it at a different house (across city) if I have access to the wifi?

2. Can I play the PS4 through a wifi hotspot I set up over my phone?

2 Questions please:

1. If my PS4 is connected at home, can I play it at a different house (across city) if I have access to the wifi?

Yes and Yes

Obviously unless you have 4G and unlimited data it's going to eat through your allowance and be slightly laggy. I've tried Battlefield over 3G and it wasn't very good, although games like Lego Movie is playable.

I remote played my PS4 back home in Los Angeles, while I was visiting my parents in Minnesota. It worked flawless on my dads internet and when I used my phone as a hotspot (LTE). I played MGS, Infamous and Mercenary Kings.

2 Questions please:

Just FYI it eats A LOT of data. I was watching my data counter on the phone and it was going fast. Like 1MB every coulpe of seconds.When I was playing Mercenary Kings for about 15 mintues I blew 1GB.

Loomba

Just FYI it eats A LOT of data. I was watching my data counter on the phone and it was going fast. Like 1MB every coulpe of seconds.When I was playing Mercenary Kings for about 15 mintues I blew 1GB.

Yeah man haha, played the Destiny beta for 20 mins yesterday and 1GB gone, good job I have unlimited data.

I tried again today and it wouldn't connect to the PS4 for some reason with the exact same setup (was working yesterday). Has there been a PS4 update that's stopping remote connectivity until I update or something?

suedester

Banned
Yeah man haha, played the Destiny beta for 20 mins yesterday and 1GB gone, good job I have unlimited data.

I tried again today and it wouldn't connect to the PS4 for some reason with the exact same setup (was working yesterday). Has there been a PS4 update that's stopping remote connectivity until I update or something?

New update for ps4 was released today so it won't work until you've updated it locally.

Still, be careful with that. I have been using my jailbroken iPhone for tethering for 3 years with no issue. But a few days after my remote play experience they send me the dreaded text saying I need to switch to a tethering plan(or quit tethering). I also hit 5gb this month so they throttled me for the rest of the billing cycle. Which is no big deal I guess since my cycle ends tomorrow.

Opening ports...some older posts on forums mention TCP: 9295 and UDP: 9296 and other misc. ports, but the official page says I only need to open UDP 9304. What gives?

Aizo

Banned
This has probably been answered somewhere in the thread once before, but I was just watching a Japanese youtuber I follow play with remote play, and realized I have a question about it.

I have a Japanese vita, and I only play with a Japanese PSN account. When I get a PS4, I will be playing on this account, as well as an American account that I'll carry over from my PS3. So, would I have to sign out, and do all that crap to sign into my American profile with the vita to do remote play from that American profile? Or, does it stream it, disregarding the Vita profile information?

Zoibie

Well, Sony haven't been helpful in any way so I figure I'll try asking here before I give up. It works perfect locally, both connecting directly to the PS4 and going through the router, but when trying to find the PS4 from a friend's house or work it just times out, it doesn't even get to the 'checking environment' stage. I feel like I've done everything right to get this to work: all the right settings in the PS4 are checked, I've got the right ports open (9304, 9295, 9296 as well as a bunch of others), UPnP on, router firewall off, DMZ has been tested, I've tried wireless and wired... I'm all out of ideas apart from trying a new router or trying it on a different PS4. Is there some really obvious thing I've missed that I'll kick myself about when I see?

LegoDad

Well, Sony haven't been helpful in any way so I figure I'll try asking here before I give up. It works perfect locally, both connecting directly to the PS4 and going through the router, but when trying to find the PS4 from a friend's house or work it just times out, it doesn't even get to the 'checking environment' stage. I feel like I've done everything right to get this to work: all the right settings in the PS4 are checked, I've got the right ports open (9304, 9295, 9296 as well as a bunch of others), UPnP on, router firewall off, DMZ has been tested, I've tried wireless and wired... I'm all out of ideas apart from trying a new router or trying it on a different PS4. Is there some really obvious thing I've missed that I'll kick myself about when I see?

Sounds like you have it stuck as direct connect.

Schrade

Turn off UPnP. (No reason ever to have that enabled...)
Leave the router firewall on.
Don't use DMZ.
Set the Vita to a static IP.
Forward the ports you "opened" to the static IP you set for the Vita.

What router is it? Make/Model

PrinceKee

This thread is too long and I'm sure it's been answered. But, what ports do I need to open for Remote Play to work away from home on WiFi?

DieH@rd

Banned
Activating uPNP should be 1st move. Then opening ports. Then DMZ. If even that does not work, then maybe upgrade of router firmware.

Schrade

It won't work in my setup without it.

So basically we have to log into the router remotely, turn on UPnP, connect RP, turn off UPnP each time.

Perhaps you're not setting a static IP for the PS4 and forwarding the ports to it?

I mistyped in my other post above. The ports should be forwarded to your PS4. (I must have been sleepy or something when I typed it)

Basically, make your PS4 have a static IP. Forward the necessary ports to your PS4. You shouldn't need to do anything to your Vita.

Magnus

I saw a brochure advertising the PS TV at EB Games today; completely slipped my mind that it's just around the corner - October 14th, yay!

A question of clarification, which I think was answered in the OP but I'd just like to make doubly sure:

Can I buy the PS TV, take it to a friend's house (either in the same city, or fuck it, somewhere else in the world), and actually play my PS4 games remotely there on whatever TV I have in that house?

This really would make it a second PS4, albeit with some limitations (I believe it'd be locked at 30 fps, subject to network performance, both from the PS4 and to the PS TV/Vita you're using).

Also, if I understand correctly, you can't use a DS4 with a PS TV. Is that right? :(

Can I buy the PS TV, take it to a friend's house (either in the same city, or fuck it, somewhere else in the world), and actually play my PS4 games remotely there on whatever TV I have in that house?

Yes although quality is subject to your home internet connection, your friends internet connection and everything inline between the two

This really would make it a second PS4, albeit with some limitations (I believe it'd be locked at 30 fps, subject to network performance, both from the PS4 and to the PS TV/Vita you're using).

Correct

Also, if I understand correctly, you can't use a DS4 with a PS TV. Is that right? :(

No, you should be able to use a DS4 with the PSTV, it just wasn't available at launch in Japan. I think the option will be available at launch in NA

JCX

I finally was able to connect my Vita from work in a stable manner. Real crazy to be able to do a few Destiny patrol missions on break.

Pbae

Did anyone have a problem with remote play with wifi (away from home) only finding the console sometimes.

One day I would be able to connect no problem and another day my Vita wouldn't be able to find the console.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I have the direct connect setting enabled on my PS4 and I can only last round a minute max, before losing connection entirely.

I'm on a university network, and the PS4 has a wired connection. I've tried forgetting all wifi networks but I get the same results.Any ideas how to stabilize the connection? Thanks.

I have the direct connect setting enabled on my PS4 and I can only last round a minute max, before losing connection entirely.

I'm on a university network, and the PS4 has a wired connection. I've tried forgetting all wifi networks but I get the same results.Any ideas how to stabilize the connection? Thanks.

I find the direct connection kind of shitty myself. I have better results using wifi. I'm not sure the PS4 being wired actually makes much of a difference when it's in direct connect mode. Maybe turn it off and see what results you get.

Opening the appropriate ports in your router should also help. I'm not sure what kind of issues may arise on a university network either.

Top Bottom