• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Pics_nao

Got my PS4 a few days ago and tried out RP at home. Worked fine although I'm not sure if it connected to the PS4 or through wifi. Regardless, trying it now a state away and it the quality is awful. I'd rather not move my PS4 into another room in the house for a wired connection but it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about it. Shame too since I was really looking forward to using this since I'm always a state away for school each week.

Got my PS4 a few days ago and tried out RP at home. Worked fine although I'm not sure if it connected to the PS4 or through wifi. Regardless, trying it now a state away and it the quality is awful. I'd rather not move my PS4 into another room in the house for a wired connection but it doesn't seem like there's much I can do about it. Shame too since I was really looking forward to using this since I'm always a state away for school each week.

I would recommend trying powerline adapters if you want to a near wired connection. Probably worth testing the PS4 wired in your house with actual cables to see if that in fact does solve your issues

If wiring the PS4 does fix your issues but you want to put the PS4 in a room that is somewhat inaccessible for actual wires try something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RP is 100% same on both versions of the Vita.

New vita has better battery life, it is lighter, thinner and has standard USB port for charging. It's display is little worse than OLED, but if you have never seen OLED model you will never have problems with it.

Cheers for that man, only just saw the reply. Well, I had the original, but it was awhile back, this would be me getting back on the horse for the first in a good while. I'll have a look around and see if there's a significant price dif between the two, but I'll probably just go slim.

SeanR1221

Has anyone had any success with remote play on the same router with both the ps4 and vita on wifi?

I still haven't gotten around to wiring my ps4 and those Ethernet wall plugs aren't an option.

My remote play is so spotty at home. Which sucks because I went to my brothers and it works perfectly. It's like my router can't handle both devices being on wifi.

Pics_nao

I would recommend trying powerline adapters if you want to a near wired connection. Probably worth testing the PS4 wired in your house with actual cables to see if that in fact does solve your issues

If wiring the PS4 does fix your issues but you want to put the PS4 in a room that is somewhat inaccessible for actual wires try something like this

[/QUOTE] How does that even work...ust because it seems like it'll be useful <_<

How does that even work? Regardless, I'll probably get it just because it seems like it'll be useful <_<

I don't think very highly of my own powers of explanation so I tend to rely on diagrams

Powerline adapters in essence take a wired ethernet/internet connection and communicate through your house/apartment's already existing electrical wiring safely and generally with a more robust connection than wifi can achieve

powerline-ethernet-adapter-network.jpg

Powerline_example_2.jpg

It's the best solution for getting a wired connection to a part of the house without built-in ethernet cables

Powerline adapters have been around for 15 years maybe? But they've gotten quite robust in the last 5 or so years

Lombax

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked earlier in the thread.

Do I need to do anything on my home network (port forwarding) to enable remote play from the PS4 at my house to the Vita I use in my office?

Thank you.

Pics_nao

It's the best solution for getting a wired connection to a part of the house without built-in ethernet cables

Powerline adapters have been around for 15 years maybe? But they've gotten quite robust in the last 5 or so years

Got it last night and tried it out. Is sooooo much better now. Thanks a ton for the recommendation.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked earlier in the thread.

Do I need to do anything on my home network (port forwarding) to enable remote play from the PS4 at my house to the Vita I use in my office?

Thank you.

First activate uPNP on your router and try out RP from your office to your home. If then it is not working, then you need to start looking at opening ports.

LAM09

I'm waiting on getting my PS TV, but I wanted to know if it's playable over Wi-Fi, or do you have to use an Ethernet cable for a smooth experience?

Omerta

I don't have a pstv so pay more attention to someone who has one (obviously) but you can bet your bottom dollar that you need a wired connection to maximise the experience.

LAM09

I don't have a pstv so pay more attention to someone who has one (obviously) but you can bet your bottom dollar that you need a wired connection to maximise the experience.

I thought that would be the case. I will probably have to get a powerline adapter, as I am not close to my router.

ruttyboy

Recently jumped on that Amazon.de deal and bought myself a new (Slim) Vita to replace my OLED that I broke. Tried to remote play last night and found that the link was very intermittent and usually dropped after less than a minute when connected directly, even if I sat right next to the PS4. My old Vita worked fine and the setup hasn't changed so what gives? Should I send the Vita back for a replacement or is the new Vita just worse.

I've tried taking the Vita out of wi-fi power saving, setting the ad-hoc channels, nothing helped.

For info, my PS4 is connected via ethernet and I found that spinning in a circle on GTA (ie. a lot of change on the screen) would corrupt things a lot and then make it drop, probably unrelated but there seemed to be a correlation between change on the screen and the connection going bad.

Anyone have any further suggestions?

chuckycem

Recently jumped on that Amazon.de deal and bought myself a new (Slim) Vita to replace my OLED that I broke. Tried to remote play last night and found that the link was very intermittent and usually dropped after less than a minute when connected directly, even if I sat right next to the PS4. My old Vita worked fine and the setup hasn't changed so what gives? Should I send the Vita back for a replacement or is the new Vita just worse.

I've tried taking the Vita out of wi-fi power saving, setting the ad-hoc channels, nothing helped.

For info, my PS4 is connected via ethernet and I found that spinning in a circle on GTA (ie. a lot of change on the screen) would corrupt things a lot and then make it drop, probably unrelated but there seemed to be a correlation between change on the screen and the connection going bad.

Anyone have any further suggestions?

My direct connection experience with an OLED Vita changed drastically in a good way after both system updates. It was unplayable just like you described before. Drove me crazy when the Vita was just next to PS4 and could not establish connection.

So finally got the PS4 and was really excited to see if RP would work well since I stay with my girlfriend ~30 miles away for a few nights a week. Unfortunately it isn't working too great. :/ I have my PS4 hooked up to a wifi bridge via ethernet and get a rock solid 25/5-6 connection. The Vita's wifi is so spotty, though. At my girlfriend's apartment, they have a 50/10 connection and obviously living a huge city, there is quite a bit of interference on the 2.4GHz frequency no matter what channel I choose.

I thought it may have been a router issue, but even at home when I'm connecting locally, my Vita can only pull a 12/3 connection from the router which is half of what I get on my laptop and phone. Even when I'm only a few feet away from the router! The connection drops to something like 2/1 when I am ~25-30 feet from the router at home, which indicates a poor signal. Really sad about this so far because it was one of the biggest selling points for me with the PS4 since I'm out of the house so much. I've been able to get RP to work okay enough at my house, but the image quality is meh. The lag/latency is generally fine enough, but I see a lot of artifacts when I'm local. At my girlfriend's? I was lucky to last five minutes on RP the time I tried. I was planning on messing with her router settings a little bit next time I'm there. Any suggestions?

reKon

Banned
So finally got the PS4 and was really excited to see if RP would work well since I stay with my girlfriend ~30 miles away for a few nights a week. Unfortunately it isn't working too great. :/ I have my PS4 hooked up to a wifi bridge via ethernet and get a rock solid 25/5-6 connection. The Vita's wifi is so spotty, though. At my girlfriend's apartment, they have a 50/10 connection and obviously living a huge city, there is quite a bit of interference on the 2.4GHz frequency no matter what channel I choose.

I thought it may have been a router issue, but even at home when I'm connecting locally, my Vita can only pull a 12/3 connection from the router which is half of what I get on my laptop and phone. Even when I'm only a few feet away from the router! The connection drops to something like 2/1 when I am ~25-30 feet from the router at home, which indicates a poor signal. Really sad about this so far because it was one of the biggest selling points for me with the PS4 since I'm out of the house so much. I've been able to get RP to work okay enough at my house, but the image quality is meh. The lag/latency is generally fine enough, but I see a lot of artifacts when I'm local. At my girlfriend's? I was lucky to last five minutes on RP the time I tried. I was planning on messing with her router settings a little bit next time I'm there. Any suggestions?

It is a router issue when you're trying to do this on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Buy a dual band router.

This is the one I got, but for $60 on sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUSDVBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is a router issue when you're trying to do this on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Buy a dual band router.

This is the one I got, but for $60 on sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUSDVBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a dual band router. The Vita doesn't do 5GHz. My router isn't the issue (hopefully). I can stream high bitrate mkv's (I don't encode my rips so they are straight off the disc) easily enough over my 5GHz network and even my 2.4GHz network at times. This is the point where I want to complain that Sony stupidly left 5GHz off the Vita knowing they had RP in mind the whole time, but it is what it is. I'm sure people have already done their complaining, and based on this thread, I'm sure I can get it working well...eventually. With that in mind, I'm scared I'll never be able to truly fix the issues I experience at my girlfriend's. At my house, 2.4GHz is fine. I live in a suburb, and I have little to no interference. My girlfriend's apartment on the other hand..no such thing as a channel that isn't flooded there. The router may be the issue at my GF's apartment, but I'm not sure my problems would be solved with a much better one considering the density of networks there..

ss_lemonade

I just got a PS4 and without much to do at the moment since I can't get into PSN reliably, I decided to give remote play a try. Is it impossible to get decent streaming if the ps4 is connected via wifi and not wired? I can stream just fine to my vita if I use the direct connection option but that requires me to be in the same room as the PS4. If I try remote play without that, then its either artifact land or I get a message saying some device's connection is too slow. PS4 has a 100% wifi connection and with my vita, I even tried sitting next to my router.

I have an asus ac68u by the way which works really well when streaming with either Steam or with my Nvidia Shield (though I guess those have an advantage with 5ghz support)

Maligna

Banned
Is remote play super finicky with competing service providers or something?

My in-laws used to have the same internet provider that I do and remote play worked fine. However they changed recently and now the past two times we've visited them remote play won't work.

Could it be the two competing providers networks not playing nice with eachother?

TomShoe

Banned
Has anyone tried this over smartphone or PC? I've tried this over my Samsung S3, but the connection is laggy and DC's after a few minutes.

Zoe

Yes. Is that a bigger deal than the change of service provider?
Yes. As far as the ISP goes, the Vita just wants a fast internet connection. But then the router needs to allow the PS4 to break out of the internal network.

my remote play at home is a dream! it works so well, even when I connect VIA the internet and not directly.

while at work it will die within 2 minutes no matter what.

:(

chunk3rvd

Planning on grabbing a PS4 soon and been wondering about remote play. Was hoping GAF could answer a few questions for me....

Is there an advantage to going all digital in that any game in your library can be accessed via remote play at all times? I don't tend to lend or sell/trade games much and since you have to install them anyway it seems like I may as well

If so, it seems I can usually get games cheaper from the U.S. store (based in the EU). If I register both my UK and US accounts on my PS4 as their "home system" can I access games from both accounts via remote play?

Finally, what do people recommend for remote play? A Vita or should I just spend £100-120 on a tablet? Not fussed about having a portable console (already own a 3DS) and there isn't much on the Vita library that interests me. I'm sure the form factor is comfortable but the lack of L2/R2 really puts me off for games like Bloodborne so thinking a tablet/DS4 combo may be preferential

Just hope my work wifi network lets the connection through. Should make my lunchtimes more enjoyable!

DieH@rd

Banned
Planning on grabbing a PS4 soon and been wondering about remote play. Was hoping GAF could answer a few questions for me....

Is there an advantage to going all digital in that any game in your library can be accessed via remote play at all times? I don't tend to lend or sell/trade games much and since you have to install them anyway it seems like I may as well

If so, it seems I can usually get games cheaper from the U.S. store (based in the EU). If I register both my UK and US accounts on my PS4 as their "home system" can I access games from both accounts via remote play?

Finally, what do people recommend for remote play? A Vita or should I just spend £100-120 on a tablet? Not fussed about having a portable console (already own a 3DS) and there isn't much on the Vita library that interests me. I'm sure the form factor is comfortable but the lack of L2/R2 really puts me off for games like Bloodborne so thinking a tablet/DS4 combo may be preferential

Just hope my work wifi network lets the connection through. Should make my lunchtimes more enjoyable!

#1 Yes, if you games are all digital, you can then access them all easily via Remote Play

#2 Yes, games are cheaper on US store. You can purchase them via US account, make that account "activated" on your home PS4, and then all of its content will be shared to all other accounts on that console. If you RP to one of those accounts, you can access those US games without problem.

#3 Vita is good, Vita with a grip is better, but bad control schemes on some games can really hurt it's RP enjoyment. I suggest that you test out Android RP [on any Android 4.0+ device] both at home and on workk with your PS4 before deciding to purchase tablet or vita, just to make sure it works well.

Was the issue with HDMI switches ever solved? Basically if I have my ps4 hooked up via HDMI switch and turn it on through remote play without the TV on, it outputs at a weird aspect ratio. If I turn the TV on it goes back to normal. If I leave the HDMI unplugged or directly into my TV, it's fine.

Can't say for certain if its just the switch or a combination of that and the TV, as RP worked fine with the switch at launch on my older Samsung, but not sure if an update borked things or if it was me changing my TV to an LG.

Edit: just thought of a test, tried RP without it plugged into the TV but still connected to the switch. Weird aspect ratio is still there, so I guess the question now is: anyone know a HDMI switch in the UK that works with RP?

Sorry to bump up this thread but I was wondering what ranges people are playing at on a local direct connection without any problems.

I tried remote play last night and it started off perfect but then got really bad(laggy, tearing, drops, etc.) with constant disconnects after about an hour of play.
My PS4 is in a room over and only about 15-20ft away.

I'm not sure what the cause of it is? What would be more likely the culprit in this case? The Vita or the PS4?

Omerta

My direct connection works perfectly in the se room - I can play all day with no issues... If I move down the hallway, it starts falling behind.

I think that's just how it is.

Crius

Neo Member
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked already, but 40 pages of comments is quite a lot ;)..

Our playstation is in the living room and I dont like bothering the misses with me constantly hogging the tv. My ps4 is connected by cable, and now im considering getting the Playstation TV to stream to the bedroom.

Please advise, if I connect both devices by ethernet cable to the same network, will the connection be good enough for online multiplayer? (mmo/fps)?

(I have a high performing fiber internet connection and am not using wifi)

DieH@rd

Banned
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked already, but 40 pages of comments is quite a lot ;)..

Our playstation is in the living room and I dont like bothering the misses with me constantly hogging the tv. My ps4 is connected by cable, and now im considering getting the Playstation TV to stream to the bedroom.

Please advise, if I connect both devices by ethernet cable to the same network, will the connection be good enough for online multiplayer? (mmo/fps)?

The best case scenario you can get for remote play is to connect PS4 and PSTV on the same local network via LAN, so you are set there. There will still be a slight delay because of PS4's video encoder, so I don't know what your experience with online play will be [how tolerant you on lag].

As for "connection needed", you should be fine. Sending of video data from your PS4 to PSTV will have minimal impact on the total bandwidth of your home LAN.

I'm in the exact situation as you, but my PS4 needs to stream from the basement to our bedroom on the second floor. I tried both a good wifi router and powerline adapters, but the lag was unbearable. Frustrated, I spent the weekend running cat5 through the walls, and now Remote Play works flawlessly. There is little to no lag, and FPS games are totally doable. It's totally worth the extra effort.

Crius

Neo Member
Good to hear, luckily my apartment is packed with cat5 plugs in all the walls (like an office building lol), so hopefully it'll be good as well, thanks for the advice.

Guess, i'll get the ps tv then one of these days:)

chunk3rvd

Posted earlier in the thread and think I'm going to jump on board with this. Just want to be sure as I'm reading conflicting info online - I want to be able to do remote play, at home and outside the home, using a DS4 wirelessly as a controller with a tablet. What do I need to buy? Any Android 4.0+ tablet should work as long as I can root it?

If so, does anyone have any suggestions for a 7" tablet around £150 that would be good for this? Or are there any good GAF threads for tablet recommendations? Tried a Google search but nothing came up

The Kindle HDX seems reasonable for the price but I don't think you can root the latest model?

Omerta

I've tried it with my nexus 7 and the input lag makes it unplayable.

I use my vita with the ds4 workaround and it's pretty much 1:1.

chuckycem

Posted earlier in the thread and think I'm going to jump on board with this. Just want to be sure as I'm reading conflicting info online - I want to be able to do remote play, at home and outside the home, using a DS4 wirelessly as a controller with a tablet. What do I need to buy? Any Android 4.0+ tablet should work as long as I can root it?

If so, does anyone have any suggestions for a 7" tablet around £150 that would be good for this? Or are there any good GAF threads for tablet recommendations? Tried a Google search but nothing came up

The Kindle HDX seems reasonable for the price but I don't think you can root the latest model?

Maybe there are cheaper models that works good but i have seen nvidia shield tablet works great.

chunk3rvd

I've tried it with my nexus 7 and the input lag makes it unplayable.

I use my vita with the ds4 workaround and it's pretty much 1:1.

Vita workaround wouldn't work for me as you need to be in range of the PS4 for the dual shock 4 to work. Was hoping to use it to play Bloodborne on my lunch at work and the lack of L2/R2 makes a standard Vita a no go for me so without the DS4 it's a no go.

Shield is a little out of my price range. This will be a birthday present off the GF and we're on a tight budget as we're saving for a wedding. Thanks anyway though!

chunk3rvd

Just tested the latest APK and I can confirm working on my Nexus 6 outside local network.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/ps4-remote-play-t2929147

Also amazed how the app works better than my Vita TV.

Just had a read of that thread (or the last few pages at least). It seems a new build came out today that lets you use remote play and a ds4 on any android 2.2+ device? Even if it's not rooted?

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong or coming across as stupid but I'm a bit new to all this. Never owned an android device before. If this is true though it seems it solves the problems I mentioned above and I'll be jumping on this train ASAP!

Lnkn52

Just had a read of that thread (or the last few pages at least). It seems a new build came out today that lets you use remote play and a ds4 on any android 2.2+ device? Even if it's not rooted?

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong or coming across as stupid but I'm a bit new to all this. Never owned an android device before. If this is true though it seems it solves the problems I mentioned above and I'll be jumping on this train ASAP!

The latest build makes it possible to use remote play on phones running 5.0. They had builds that worked on older android versions without root for months now.

Using the DS4 seems to be working for some. But mostly those that got it to work have their phone rooted. There is another way around that without having to root it, which is creating a second account but this method only works for local play.

Top Bottom