• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I was purely xbox last generation. Halo was the reason. After Bungie left and Halo 4 happened, I have no other reason to stay loyal.

Marleyman

Banned
Why exactly are you so sure they'll never be fulfilled? lol.

Lol? Read next time. I used the word "may." Does that sound "so sure" to you? I do think that they are piss poor when it comes to communicating what they are going to do/want to do, when things are broken.

badb0y

Lol? Read next time. I used the word "may." Does that sound "so sure" to you? I do think that they are piss poor when it comes to communicating what they are going to do/want to do, when things are broken.
And Microsoft is good at communication amirite?

There is a definite lack of communication. Where are the UI updates, improvements? Threads have been made talking about it. You can't be that oblivious.

Threads have been made of wishful UI features. Such as changing your background, playing MP3s, playing a favorite video format, to implementing a organization system like folders... etc.

shuhei said they are working on it.
they'll come
late but not unforgiving features to many.

being that they are having more issues making PS4s then selling them. they are saving these features when a big game comes out or when they release PSnow.

performance updates have been coming here and there.

Yeah, they can learn a lot from Microsoft, the masters of transparent communication.

At the beginning of March many had the same issues of not being able to create a party, join one.
PSN downtime problems? Yeah, I remember that - I was more asking about the services when they do work - and both new consoles have had errors and downtime.

And I mention this only because the PS4 party system and chat was mandatory for me and my gaming buddies to pick up a PS4 in the first place - and most of them didn't believe there would be one, or that it'd be as bothersome as setting up games on the PS3 (which was a night and day difference between PS3 and 360). So now that we've seen the difference in OS and party systems on the PS4 I'm surprised to see this listed as something where Sony is behind the curve.

Not that you're wrong, but I was just curious if there's something I was missing.

Who said it was?

Have patience while their competitor has rolled out two major updates already?

Exactly, if this was such a big deal the X1 would be doing better, but the fact that the Ps4 is continually beating it down says otherwise.

It seems you have an issue of impatience dude. All in due time, PSN works perfectly, additional features are just icing on the cake.

As for communications on Ps4 updates, there was an update last month, but it got ignored because it doesn't matter to most of GAF.

Nico Nico share option, coming in spring.

PSN downtime problems? Yeah, I remember that - I was more asking about the services when they do work - and both new consoles have had errors and downtime.

And I mention this only because the PS4 party system and chat was mandatory for me and my gaming buddies to pick up a PS4 in the first place - and most of them didn't believe there would be one, or that it'd be as bothersome as setting up games on the PS3 (which was a night and day difference between PS3 and 360). So now that we've seen the difference in OS and party systems on the PS4 I'm surprised to see this listed as something where Sony is behind the curve.

Not that you're wrong, but I was just curious if there's something I was missing.
There is nothing you're missing, he's literally flat-out lying.

Marleyman

Banned
Nothing, he's just being hyperbolic. I'm guessing he's mostly referring to features that are missing like DLNA, and MP3 support, which will come in due time.

Those as well as the many that have been pointed out in the recent thread asking for what gamers want once they actually do update it.

That's true but what's interesting is that the PS4 due to it's power advantage will most likely be the console of choice for multiplatform games. Last gen it was the 360. So either way Sony wins

Yup, last gen I got a 360 first due to the awesome exclusives it had for the first few years. I got a PS3 around 3 years in, for the exclusives and kept my 360 as my main multiplat machine. After MS abandoned the 360 and third party games started looking pretty much equal, I switched fully to PS3.

This gen, it's going to be PS4 for exclusives + multiplats all gen long. I don't see a reason to get an X1 (again, this is just me) till 2016/2017 when it has a good amount of exclusives and I can find a cheap, second-hand console.

Those as well as the many that have been pointed out in the recent thread asking for what gamers want once they actually do update it.

So, you're issue with features that will come in the future. So what exactly is broken right now?

Marleyman

Banned
So PSN being temporarily down = broken and needs a response but the XB1's broken party system = it's fine, it just needed some improvements?

Marly, you sure like that green stuff.

Party system for XBL on One wasn't broken..PSN party system had issues just recently and there wasn't a peep about a fix. Never said the PSN party system doesn't work.

I do like the green stuff.

Nah, just surprised that many would just jump ship after XBL on the 360 was the superior service overall.

To a lot of people the better game offerings of PS+ make up for the other deficiencies. For others, a change of generation is a perfect time to switch teams if their friends have done the same.

Let's face it... most people will go where the people they play games with are. If all of your friends stick with Xbox then of course staying put makes sense. But if they go Playstation? Well, polished functionality isn't going to make up for a lost gaming group...

Marleyman

Banned
Exactly, if this was such a big deal the X1 would be doing better, but the fact that the Ps4 is continually beating it down says otherwise.

It seems you have an issue of impatience dude. All in due time, PSN works perfectly, additional features are just icing on the cake.

Impatience isn't the word I keep using; it is communication. I don't feel confident that whoever is running the PSN services is capable of providing me the level of comfort I get w XBL. What is so wrong about this?

Impatience isn't the word I keep using; it is communication. I don't feel confident that whoever is running the PSN services is capable of providing me the level of comfort I get w XBL. What is so wrong about this?

Okay, I get it, but I mean I don't understand what exactly you want? Do you want hourly updates on exactly what they're doing or something? Wait for the major trade shows, they'll announce things when they're closer to release. Right now we know they're working on features like DLNA and MP3 playback, they'll be out when they're ready.

You still haven't provided any actual evidence about why XBL is "better" than PSN (other than things that were true years ago and are no longer the case).

Jakeh111

And I'm sitting here with a close friend who bought a xbone cause he wanted sometw different, while the rest of our friends have a ps4..smh

Well then, I guess you also shouldn't use XBL cause Microsoft still haven't made any communication as to why people on xbox couldn't sign in to XBL a few days ago for Titanfall.

(not a server issue, cause things were perfectly fine for those of us on PC or those already signed in.)

big_z

everything will change come GDC during the dx12 conference when Microsoft brings misterxmedia on stage who is actually J Allard and reveal the second layer of the xbox apu.

Nah, just surprised that many would just jump ship after XBL on the 360 was the superior service overall.

I owned a 360 since the first Dead Rising came out and the only thing superior about XBL was the sound quality of the chat system and the time the Tuesday updates were released. Not necessarily worth $60/a year when PS+ became such a better value.

Nothing, because your confidence in the respective companies is your entitled opinion.

Just as someone like me who lives in Asia has no confidence in Xbox support here due to their lack of customer support, infrastructure and various other regional issues.

Never said the PSN party system doesn't work.
OK, well that's the sense I got.

So your problem isn't with the party system its with PSN, its stability and how communicative and responsive Sony has been with problems and updates?

That I could definitely understand, though I still wouldn't give MS a complete pass personally. Both systems seem to need work. I've heard gripes about the Xbox party system and its dependence upon discrete apps for everything. PSN has more stability issues (though not as fatal) and still needs to launch some promised features.

Party system for XBL on One wasn't broken..PSN party system had issues just recently and there wasn't a peep about a fix. Never said the PSN party system doesn't work.

I do like the green stuff.

its was a UI mess since day one till titanfall came out.

XB1s has a rather nice metro look, but not user friendly. Thats word out there.

Just like PS4 is called a Indiestation since a indie game is announced like everyday.

Marleyman

Banned
Okay, I get it, but I mean I don't understand what exactly you want? Do you want hourly updates on exactly what they're doing or something? Wait for the major trade shows, they'll announce things when they're closer to release. Right now we know they're working on features like DLNA and MP3 playback, they'll be out when they're ready.

I want what I am getting as a subscriber to XBL; relevant updates, communication about them coming, a beta to test them.

Dragonborn said:
You still haven't provided any actual evidence about why XBL is "better" than PSN (other than things that were true years ago and are no longer the case).

I have already..you just have decided that they aren't important.

Marleyman

Banned
Nothing, because your confidence in the respective companies is your entitled opinion.

Just as someone like me who lives in Asia has no confidence in Xbox support here due to their lack of customer support, infrastructure and various other regional issues.

You have every right to feel the way you do.

Hey Marley, how was communication from Microsoft when you wanted to play Titanfall day 1? Couldn't handle those "hundreds of thousands" of players?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103900290&postcount=5985

This is literally what you are listing as a negative for PS+ vaguely and continually, so I'm just wondering if somehow you felt more comfortable with MS's non-response because you telepathically knew everything was going to be okay eventually?

ryan299

You realize the piece of crap UI the Xbox One shipped with right? IIRC you couldn't even delete shit from it.

Actually you could delete shit. You're misinformed. You highlight the game and click uninstall, deleting it from your hard drive. You didn't have a visual reference of how much space you had.

People need to stop saying you couldn't delete shit. I have gamefly, before the recent update I was deleting games off the hard drive.

slapnuts

It's because people don't understand the difference between Microsoft as a whole vs. the Xbox division. Just like they don't understand the difference between Sony as a whole and SCE.

They point out that MS has a ton of money, but the thing is, Xbox is a tiny fraction of their corporation. So while MS has a ton of money, they may not be willing to spend more and more on Xbox, a brand that has yet to make them any money and that seems to be sinking more and more.

On the other hand, while Sony as a whole is doing pretty terrible, Playstation is absolutely a pivotal part of their business. They're not going to let it fail and they'll do everything within their power to make sure it doesn't. So while they may not have the money that MS has, they will put their full weight behind PlayStation if necessary.

best post in thread, excellent

Biker19

Banned
Yup, last gen I got a 360 first due to the awesome exclusives it had for the first few years. I got a PS3 around 3 years in, for the exclusives and kept my 360 as my main multiplat machine. After MS abandoned the 360 and third party games started looking pretty much equal, I switched fully to PS3.

This gen, it's going to be PS4 for exclusives + multiplats all gen long. I don't see a reason to get an X1 (again, this is just me) till 2016/2017 when it has a good amount of exclusives and I can find a cheap, second-hand console.

And the thing about that, is that the multiplatform differences between 360 & PS3 weren't even that big to begin with (save for the early multiplatforms & with games like Bayonetta), because with 360 having the superior GPU, & PS3 having the cell processor, it was basically a wash between the two consoles as they were just about equal to each other in power & graphics (save for Sony's 1st/2nd party exclusives like Uncharted 2 & The Last of Us, which looks better than any game on the Xbox 360 due to Sony's teams taking full advantage of the cell processor).

Now? The hardware differences between Xbox One & PS4 are even bigger than the hardware differences between 360 & PS3, as PS4 has a GPU that's 50% more powerful, & 8 GB's of faster RAM, as opposed to Xbox One with a weaker GPU, 8 GB's of slower RAM, & only 32 MB's of eSRAM.

Marleyman

Banned
Hey Marley, how was communication from Microsoft when you wanted to play Titanfall day 1? Couldn't handle those "hundreds of thousands" of players?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103900290&postcount=5985

This is literally what you are listing as a negative for PS+ vaguely and continually, so I'm just wondering if somehow you felt more comfortable with MS's non-response because you telepathically knew everything was going to be okay eventually?

What did you expect from that launch? To their credit, they were communicating continually through twitter, forums about a fix.

My main issue with PSN is what I have stated continuously.

It's because people don't understand the difference between Microsoft as a whole vs. the Xbox division. Just like they don't understand the difference between Sony as a whole and SCE.

They point out that MS has a ton of money, but the thing is, Xbox is a tiny fraction of their corporation. So while MS has a ton of money, they may not be willing to spend more and more on Xbox, a brand that has yet to make them any money and that seems to be sinking more and more.

On the other hand, while Sony as a whole is doing pretty terrible, Playstation is absolutely a pivotal part of their business. They're not going to let it fail and they'll do everything within their power to make sure it doesn't. So while they may not have the money that MS has, they will put their full weight behind PlayStation if necessary.

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

And I'm sitting here with a close friend who bought a xbone cause he wanted sometw different, while the rest of our friends have a ps4..smh

SMH

Atleast he didnt buy a Wii U! I bought two at launch! The UI was horrible! Worst loading times ever, felt like I was turning on my Windows Pc every time I did something. (i heard its better now tho)

And the thing about that, is that the multiplat differences between 360 & PS3 weren't even that big to begin with (save for the early multiplatforms & with games like Bayonetta), because with 360 having the superior GPU, & PS3 having the cell processor, it was basically a wash between the two consoles as they were just about equal to each other in power & graphics (save for Sony's 1st/2nd party exclusives like Uncharted 2 & The Last of Us, which looks better than any game on the Xbox 360 due to Sony's teams taking full advantage of the cell processor).

Now? The hardware differences between Xbox One & PS4 are even bigger than the hardware differences between 360 & PS3, as PS4 has a GPU that's 50% more powerful, & 8 GB's of faster RAM, as opposed to Xbox One with a weaker GPU, 8 GB's of slower RAM, & only 32 MB's of eSRAM.

Very true, and I can only see the gap widening as the gen goes by. If games keep on getting better and bigger, and we eventually have a 720p PS4 game, I can't imagine what it'll look like on X1. Better tools and DX12 (maybe) will improve things, but they won't offer a significant reduction of the power gap.

My only fear is that, with MS floundering and Nintendo pretty much completely failing (on the console front at least), we might get another generation cut very short. I'd like for this gen to last at least 5 years.

Terrible after the updates? It is much better than it was. While you and many others still wait on promised improvements and other wish lists that may never be fulfilled.

I'll agree that it's better than it was, but it's still pretty terrible compared to the 360. My achievement list takes FOREVER to load compared to how long it takes on my 360 because of those damn screenshots/gifs/whatever they are for each individual achievement. And those are likely the reason why it isn't viewable offline, because it'd have to download all of them to your XB1 to allow you to view your achievements offline.

The bottom line is they took massive, massive steps backward with the interface when compared to 360 and it's still, even with the updates, ridiculously inferior to what it could have been had they simply kept what worked on 360 and improved on it.

Marleyman

Banned
I'll agree that it's better than it was, but it's still pretty terrible compared to the 360. My achievement list takes FOREVER to load compared to how long it takes on my 360 because of those damn screenshots/gifs/whatever they are for each individual achievement. And those are likely the reason why it isn't viewable offline, because it'd have to download all of them to your XB1 to allow you to view your achievements offline.

The bottom line is they took massive, massive steps backward with the interface when compared to 360 and it's still, even with the updates, ridiculously inferior to what it could have been had they simply kept what worked on 360 and improved on it.

Won't get much disagreement from me with what you said.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

What is crazy is that it seems Sony has taken what they were doing on the PS3 and made massive steps forward with their online service.

I completely agree that the service on the 360 was superior. I used the 360 all last gen. I also think that Microsoft has been more proactive so far this generation with its updates, and I don't know why people are arguing against that.

However, the gap that existed just doesn't exist anymore for me and a lot of other gamers. Party chat was Microsoft's big advantage for me and my friends that would have kept us away from Playstation regardless. That advantage is now gone (and arguably swung in Sony's favor at the beginning of this gen), while Sony's value advantage in the form of PS Plus remains. And Microsoft still defends its comparatively worse analogue.

So, yes, Microsoft has shown to be more responsive so far. That should be disconcerting to anyone going PS4 only. But you can't act like it's still last gen. Sony made strides with the release of the PS4 while Microsoft went backward to me and other people. Microsoft's last updates and Sony's relative inaction don't change that.

Playstation Plus has become the Gold Standard when it comes to online services it gives consumers a huge value that Microsoft hasn't even come close to matching, no matter how much Xbox Loyalist try and justify it, plus this whole Xbox Live is more reliable is a crock, if Xbox live was truly better then Party Chat would have not been broken and people would have been able to play Titanfall at launch without problems, that's clearly wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom