• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marleyman

Banned
I completely agree that the service on the 360 was superior. I used the 360 all last gen. I also think that Microsoft has been more proactive so far this generation with its updates, and I don't know why people are arguing against that.

However, the gap that existed just doesn't exist anymore for me and a lot of other gamers. Party chat was Microsoft's big advantage for me and my friends that would have kept us on that system regardless. That advantage is now gone (and arguably swung in Sony's favor at the beginning of this gen), while Sony's value advantage in the form of PS Plus remains while Microsoft still defends its comparatively worse analogue.

So, yes, Microsoft has shown to be more responsive so far. That should be disconcerting to anyone going PS4 only. But you can't act like it's still last gen. Sony made strides with the release of the PS4 while Microsoft went backward to me and other people. Microsoft's last updates and Sony's relative inaction don't change that.

I agree with you but aren't you dismissing Sony's inaction?

Only ever owned an Xbox and 360. Went PS4 and recently bought a PS3 as well and damn did I miss out on some great games.

While I'm not opposed to getting an X1 eventually, I need a better price or a more compelling reason. Right now, I'm just not seeing it.

My reason for choosing to break the MS cycle was really death by a thousand paper cuts:

- PS+
- The Last of Us and other games getting rave reviews and finding out 1st party Sony titles were something I was missing out on.
- The DS4 improvement not leaving a massive gap between controller quality.
- Halo 4 shitting the bed
- Bungie leaving MS
- Bungie releasing PS4 games (as well as other consoles)
- The DRM/Always online/No used games fiasco.
- X1 is $100 more
- X1 is Less powerful
- PS4's Indie support
- Lack of strong games from MS for the last few years on the 360 and the titles they did release being weak as hell (Judgement, Fable 3).
- Forced kinect

If MS can have a $350 option for the X1 and Halo 5 can greatly improve, I'll consider it. Until then, I'm just not that interested.

What is crazy is that it seems Sony has taken what they were doing on the PS3 and made massive steps forward with their online service.
And that's what makes it so good. They took almost* everything they needed from the 360.

* I miss custom soundtracks via DLNA and find it weird that trophies don't instantly update.

Playstation Plus has become the Gold Standard when it comes to online services it gives consumers a huge value that Microsoft hasn't even come close to matching, no matter how much Xbox Loyalist try and justify it, plus this whole Xbox Live is more reliable is a crock, if Xbox live was truly better then Party Chat would have not been broken and people would have been able to play Titanfall at launch without problems, that's clearly wasn't the case.

The actual features of each console don't matter, what matters is communication!

And clearly Sony isn't as proactive in improving their console's UI, as evidenced by the many, many additions and improvements to the ps4's UI relative to the ps3.

/s

Marleyman

Banned
Playstation Plus has become the Gold Standard when it comes to online services it gives consumers a huge value that Microsoft hasn't even come close to matching, no matter how much Xbox Loyalist try and justify it, plus this whole Xbox Live is more reliable is a crock, if Xbox live was truly better then Party Chat would have not been broken and people would have been able to play Titanfall at launch without problems, that's clearly wasn't the case.

Periods are your friend.

zeelman

All Sony PS+ has over Xbox Live is discounts and "free" games, its online infrastructure for playing games still pales in comparison. Plus Sony shuts down game servers for their exclusives too soon.

Party chat doesn't work right on either the Xbone or the PS4 so what's your point? Same for network issues. Remember when PSN got hacked?

best post in thread, excellent

It should be copy and pasted where these money comments arise. I dont know y people think Microsoft can just throw billions on to a project just because... Zune? Windows Phone? Windows Surface? They threw money at all that.. made them Zinch.

Android makes them more money.

Ultimately Windows Phone/tablet market is super important, its a market they need to keep throwing money at it while they still have it.

Windows 8 and Office arent gonna be powerhouses they used to be. Microsoft knows that.

What inactions are you talking about, trophies wrk and load fine, party chat wrks, the UI is buttery smooth, have the servers been down yes, but so has Microsoft, if anything Sony is going to be adding things while Xbox One plays catch-up.

Marleyman

Banned
And that's what makes it so good. They took almost* everything they needed from the 360.

* I miss custom soundtracks via DLNA and find it weird that trophies don't instantly update.

I don't want this to sound dismissive of what did but if they didn't take everything that made XBL such a success they would have been oblivious.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't want this to sound dismissive of what did but if they didn't take everything that made XBL such a success they would have been oblivious.

Yet MS themselves didn't, so why call XBL as it currently stands on the XBO the superior service over PSN on PS4 as it stands now?

All Sony PS+ has over Xbox Live is discounts and "free" games, its online infrastructure for playing games still pales in comparison. Plus Sony shuts down game servers for their exclusives too soon.

Party chat doesn't work right on either the Xbone or the PS4 so what's your point? Same for network issues. Remember when PSN got hacked?

All Sony has is discounts and MUCH better games that I get to play with no additional cost? That's a pretty good difference to me.

Shuts down game servers soon for their ancient exclusives? Like MS did for Halo 2?

Party chat has been fine on PS4 from the start. I don't know of anyone who's had problems with that.

Truth.

But from what I've seen and read here Sony did the better job of following up on what made the 360 tick. Which is something I'm pretty sure nobody expected.

Yet MS themselves didn't, so why call XBL as it currently stands on the XBO the superior service over PSN on PS4 as it stands now?
Exactly. Its some bizarro world stuff but its where we are ;p

No. I said it should be disconcerting. It is to me, at least. I just know that advantage as of today is Sony's (to me), which is something I'd never have said last gen. I'd have paid double for XBL Gold versus free PSN 2-6 years ago. It's just a much more level playing field today, and I value that more than I hold Sony's inaction against it.

That could change if XBL keeps getting better and Sony keeps failing to deliver. It's just not at that point for me today.

I'm trying to figure out how making massive additions to their console's UI from ps3 > ps4 isn't evidence of the proactivity you seek, while steps backwards from 360 to Xbox One (as acknowledged by yourself) are quickly dismissed in light of a few small post-launch updates.

Seems awfully selective to me.

*Edited to remove unnecessary hyperbole.

Value you get more than enough for 50 bucks a year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rqab8/the_playstation_plus_instant_game_collection_for/

Party Chat works on PS4 been using and its fine and my games play fine, if sony shuts down servers its because those games are a ghost town. The PSN hack was over two years ago, and don't act like Microsoft is immune to this type of attack, if hackers want to take something down they will find a way .

I know a few people that went from x360-only to PS4, but each one had different reasons. one switched because of the drm fiasco, one switched because of the games sony showed off (mainly infamous and FFXV+KH3 trailers at E3), one switched because of power difference + price, etc..

But it's been a whole month dude. Waiting is so hard
/s

It's just being discussed in relative terms, not literal. What Microsoft has added/addressed since release has outweighed what Sony has done. You can say that those features should have been there from day one and all that, which I'd agree with, but the point still stands.

Marleyman

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how making massive additions to their console's UI from ps3 > ps4 isn't evidence of the proactivity you seek, while massive steps backwards from 360 to Xbox One (as acknowledged by yourself) are quickly dismissed in light of a few small post-launch updates.

Seems awfully selective to me.

It is evidence of evolve or die. I acknowledged that the launch of Xbox One and XBL weren't what I expected, however I am not going to act like it was a massive failure. I have enjoyed the newer features on the One for XBL.

zeelman

All Sony has is discounts and MUCH better games that I get to play with no additional cost? That's a pretty good difference to me.

Shuts down game servers soon for their ancient exclusives? Like MS did for Halo 2?

So you don't care about the quality of online play as long as you get "free" games and discounts?

There's no servers up for PS2 games anymore (besides FF XI in Japan), plus Halo 2 is not a 360 game so I don't know what that has to do with anything. Halo 3 will be turning 7 this year and I can still play it online. All the online play for the Resistance games will be shutdown on March 28. GT5 will be shutdown in May, and that game isn't even four years old yet!

It's just being discussed in relative terms, not literal. What Microsoft has added/addressed since release has outweighed what Sony has done. You can say that those features should have been there from day one and all that, which I'd agree with, but the point still stands.

That probably has something to do with MS releasing a the system with a terrible OS that was littered with problems? Something they absolutely needed to fix.

All the "issues" with Sony are just features that are in the pipeline and will come soon enough, nothing is broken.

UF_C

Banned
only 1.7k i understand that bold claim if it was a survey of over 1mil. or something

but with that said. the ps4 is selling like hot cakes. the price per performance is above the xbox one

As someone who deals in political polling for a living, 1.7k is a pretty good sample size for a poll of this kind. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's really not all that bad.

Marleyman

Banned
Where have you been the last 4 months?

You're ignoring all the issues MS has had, and selectively highlighting and nitpicking every small issue you can find with PSN (and they're aren't even issues).

I haven't ignored anything! You are ignoring what I have said about XBL out of the gate on the One. The party chat was needlessly complicated(which is fixed and smooth now).

Where have you been the last 4 months?

You're ignoring all the issues MS has had, and selectively highlighting and nitpicking every small issue you can find with PSN (and they're aren't even issues).

That's how people justify paying for Xbox Live Gold, is PSN perfect, hell no. But its a much better service for the hardcore gamer and general consumer. PSN continues to make improvements, while Xbox Live is just getting lazy.

how does the point still stand? you don't "outweigh" the competition by catching up with it.

I haven't ignored anything! You are ignoring what I have said about XBL out of the gate on the One. The party chat was needlessly complicated(which is fixed and smooth now).

Okay, so both services have issues. Then why is it that issue with PSN makes you deem it worse than issues on XBL? Are they worse simply because it's PSN?

That's how people justify paying for Xbox Live Gold, is PSN perfect, hell no. But its a much better service for the hardcore gamer and general consumer. PSN continues to make improvements, while Xbox Live is just getting lazy.

I agree, until MS actually puts some work into adding value to XBL, I'm not renewing my subscription.

zeelman

What is "hardcore" about PSN? Nobody has convinced me that PSN's online gaming features are superior to Xbox Live. Is "free" games and discounts that important to you that you can just ignore any other flaws with their system?

What is "hardcore" about PSN? Nobody has convinced me that PSN's online gaming features are superior to Xbox Live. Is "free" games and discounts that important to you that you can just ignore any other flaws with their system?
Please, concisely collate and elaborate upon all of the flaws with PSN's system, preferably making explicit which areas XBL is currently superior in.

Free games + Discounts across three different platforms. A stable online, a working party chat system. Everything works as advertised. It missing some features which will be added in future updates, but as is, nothing is broken, and games can be played online flawlessly. Not to mention, apps aren't behind the paywall, so if MP isn't your thing you can still use Netflix/Crunchyroll/etc. That's what makes it superior.

Care to to tell me what exactly makes XBL superior? Outside of some vague "Better online" (which doesn't even make sense since most games use the same servers on both consoles, MS and Sony have nothing to do with that) and "better communication" (lol, I don't even).

how does the point still stand? you don't "outweigh" the competition by catching up with it.

I am just speaking for myself here, but you're focusing on one aspect. To me, Sony's progress coupled with Microsoft's bungling of the launch of the Xbox One puts Sony ahead in terms of service. Even after Microsoft's actions, I still consider the service to be better present day. So, I am not selectively analyzing here.

So with that said, the point still stands that Sony hasn't addressed much since launch while Microsoft has.

No, just stop. That is the crux of my issue and it has been acknowledged already by others. Getting lazy...lol

Then tell me what improvements have they made I was an Xbox Live member from 2004 til 2011 I keep hearing about these improvements Microsoft has made yet nobody can provide the facts.

Very true, and I can only see the gap widening as the gen goes by. If games keep on getting better and bigger, and we eventually have a 720p PS4 game, I can't imagine what it'll look like on X1. Better tools and DX12 (maybe) will improve things, but they won't offer a significant reduction of the power gap.

My only fear is that, with MS floundering and Nintendo pretty much completely failing (on the console front at least), we might get another generation cut very short. I'd like for this gen to last at least 5 years.

I dont think we'll get a 720p PS4 in a exclusive. Since Sonys focus is 1080p. Thats what they been pushing developers to do. Resolution is more noticable then frames to the masses. Sonys focus isnt twitch shooters like Microsoft. Rather story given games with set peieces. Visually they can demolish XB1. Since ESRAM is a bottleneck for 1080p.

While the Wii U is in trouble. ( they been releasing the same games again and again, people are tired of them... as good as they are) I think they fit better as a 3rd party. Or if they were the console with Kinect instead.

The XB1 will be fine tho. But I dont expect them to be number one.

Exercise is gonna be big next gen tho.
Promise you.

TrueGrime

Its a general opinion that Xbox One UI is crap compared to the PS4 UI, do some people prefer the Xbox One UI sure, why IDK I guess they like sluggish and unorganized UIs.

It's not really unorganized when you get used to it. Click left of the main screen and it takes you an area that you can customize that the apps you want. Hell, if you want to go to a specific area, you just say where you want to go. It really isn't that bad as some people are making it out to be.

Please tell us which areas other than free games(that you don't keep if you cancel your sub, btw) are superior to XBL?
Why are you strawmanning my legitimate inquiry with another pointless question? Surely, since you've been openly talking about how much more "comfortable" you are with XBL you can actually provide a point-by-point, reasoned justification for your preferences?

Party chat has been fine on PS4 from the start. I don't know of anyone who's had problems with that.

Funny thing is they are about to release Halo 2 for XB1

Marleyman

Banned
Why are you strawmanning my legitimate inquiry with another pointless question? Surely, since you've been openly talking about how much more "comfortable" you are with XBL you can actually provide a point-by-point, reasoned justification for your preferences?

I already have; go back and look up my posts yourself. I will patiently await your reasons why PSN is superior other than free games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom