• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

DVCY201

I'll be disappointed if it's Chris purely because I love Roger Craig Smith in the role. He is Chris Redfield to me.

I thought the biggest giveaway was his weird voice. It didn't sound like Chris at all. When he spoke I was like WTF?!

Yea, truthfully I just really want RCS to continue voicing Chris. He did wonders for the character. But I guess the entire RE cast has been slowly replaced again. What a bummer.

JayEH

He probably said it sarcastically, and don't even know exactly who "they" are (maybe he thinks it's the government)

I'm pretty sure he knows who they are or at least was expecting someone to come. Now whether he called umbrella is yet to be seen. It wouldn't make sense for him to go at this alone it also would explain why Ethan acts weirdly calm with all the weird shit going on. Also remember he's on the phone with someone in the beginning of the game. I think that's him calling for backup but going in solo before because he can't wait.

Rean

Its pretty surprising how many people have been saying they thought that big boss after you find Mia and Zoe was Lucas. The boss is talking about how he was supposed to be your father and how you hurt his family the whole time. You never even come in direct contact with Lucas during the game.

I guess people who played the previous games and knew how events went down would instantly make that connection. That's how I knew at least.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Couple days after finishing the game, and I still cannot stop thinking about it. Such a phenomenal experience. I think that the thing that I love about this game, more than perhaps any other stories in the series, is how tragic it is at it's core. This is the story of a child who was warped at birth, by soulless people, and ended up corrupting an entire family because that's all she can do. The Bakers are some of my favorite villains in anything, ever. I really hate evil characters who are just evil because. I much prefer humanized evil. Those who do wrong because they are so broken, they believe it's right, or like the Bakers, those who are warped by forces outside of their control.

I feel for the Bakers. The scene where the actual Jack speaks with you, is one of the most haunting moments I've ever seen in a game. The immortal monster, who mutilates and kill...is a broken man fully aware of how destroyed his mind and body are. It's powerful beyond words. The writing here was leagues above the rest of the series. This is the kind of shit that Resident Evil needed for a long time now. Iconic characters with actual depth beyond a few catchphrases.

So, umm, when exactly did that little talk with 'normal' Jack and Ethan take place? I'm kinda confused.

In his mind while he was under the influence of Eveline. Even with them dead, her powers work in such a way.

It's a dumb scene, was so unneeded.

For the record, Jack and Zoe were not dead. Both of them turn into statues but don't crumble away is notable, unlike Marguerite (and Mia on the bad ending path) who crumble into a hundred pieces when they die, so I think the implication is they're still conscious, just stuck in their mental space unable to move in the physical world any longer.

As they didn't crumble and they both appear in that scene in the mold, and it implies that the people concious have a much closer connection in the mold even if they can't control themselves fully under her influence in the real world. I think the implication is that them turning into a statue and not crumbling means they didn't die, just a fate maybe worse than death depending how you look at it as they can't die and they can't do anything except retreat to their mental scape where they can only communicate with each other in their own limbo.

I think they're fates after that are left a bit open once Eveline dies as she was their connection as the central host, but the phone ring after the epilogue I think implies Zoe (and Jack possibly) may have turned out fine after Eveline died.

Jawmuncher

The bold isn't necessarily true. Unlike the early scenes with Mia fighting Eve's mind control, we never got to see the Bakers real personalities outside of that scene. Also unlike Mia, who went into screaming demon Exorcist mode whenever under Eve's control, Jack and Marg often seemed calm and calculating when hunting for Ethan. Without that scene it would be totally plausible for someone to believe the entire family was just a bunch of crazies who enjoyed their amped up super powers in much the way Lucas is.

That said, humanizing them could have been done a million other ways - through another videotape, audio cassettes, or journals from them as a family prior to and during the initial stages of the transformation. I did find it odd that they were just hanging out in a room (on the ship?) in what I'm assuming was some kind of collective mold subconscious. The green tint also made the scene look like it was being viewed through a computer monitor, which also threw me.

The biggest example though it was later. Was the picture of jack in his marine uniform. But yeah I agree, if they wanted to humanize there were definitely better ways. For example what if the Birthday tape was instead literally the whole baker family throwing a regular Birthday for someone? Stuff like that I think would've been cool.

Its pretty surprising how many people have been saying they thought that big boss after you find Mia and Zoe was Lucas. The boss is talking about how he was supposed to be your father and how you hurt his family the whole time. You never even come in direct contact with Lucas during the game.

I guess people who played the previous games and knew how events went down would instantly make that connection. That's how I knew at least.
What does that have to do with anything? It's a loud boss fight with a lot of shit going on (especially in VR) so it's easy to miss/ignore the trash talk. Simple as that lol

J-Roderton

I've just played the demo today. Is the video tape/flashback thing with the dudes shooting the tv show a part of the full game story mode?

Anung

Un Rama
Its pretty surprising how many people have been saying they thought that big boss after you find Mia and Zoe was Lucas. The boss is talking about how he was supposed to be your father and how you hurt his family the whole time. You never even come in direct contact with Lucas during the game. Plus what Revolutionary said.

Just the way I've been conditioned in games. You see Jack, then you see Jack with the growth, you fight marguerite, then you fight her mutated form. You see Lucas, who at the time is saying he has more suprises up his sleeve, then fight a towering mutant. Made more sense to me than Lucas randomly vanishing from the game.

Don't under the second paragraph. I've played every resident evil numerous times and it didn't make up for how weirdly handled things were in the last third of the game. It was either rushed or stuff was cut out for DLC.

For the record, Jack and Zoe were not dead. Both of them turn into statues but don't crumble away is notable, unlike Marguerite (and Mia on the bad ending path) who crumble into a hundred pieces when they die, so I think the implication is they're still conscious, just stuck in their mental space unable to move in the physical world any longer.

As they didn't crumble and they both appear in that scene in the mold, and it implies that the people concious have a much closer connection in the mold even if they can't control themselves fully under her influence in the real world. I think the implication is that them turning into a statue and not crumbling means they didn't die, just a fate maybe worse than death depending how you look at it as they can't die and they can't do anything except retreat to their mental scape where they can only communicate with each other in their own limbo.

I think they're fates after that are left a bit open once Eveline dies as she was their connection as the central host, but the phone ring after the epilogue I think implies Zoe (and Jack possibly) may have turned out fine after Eveline died.

Think either of them might be in the DLC then? I'm hoping, but not sure. Is the Not a Hero the only huge DLC contest wise really aside from the Gator character stuff?

Gotcha. Not much else to see from those guys, yeah? Assuming they were just investigating before our character showed up? Wasn't sure if we were to play as the camera man or not.

The body that bubbles up in the water before you get to Mia's cell is Andre's, and Clancy's charred corpse is found after you kill the bloated Molded in the barn (how that happens is only clear if you played the "Happy Birthday" tape). I can only assume that's Peter being served at the table when you're first brought to the mansion.

J-Roderton

The body that bubbles up in the water before you get to Mia's cell is Andre's, and Clancy's charred corpse is found after you kill the bloated Molded in the barn (how that happens is only clear if you played the "Happy Birthday" tape). I can only assume that's Peter being served at the table when you're first brought to the mansion.

Oh shit. That's awesome.

Another question, the little baby bodies and the older body you rip the arm off of. Are those all the same thing Evelyn is, packed up and sold to highest bidder, and then they age? I was a bit confused why an entire body was in the room dead and propped up on the chair. Was that another version of her Bio type that died?

Another question, the little baby bodies and the older body you rip the arm off of. Are those all the same thing Evelyn is, packed up and sold to highest bidder, and then they age? I was a bit confused why an entire body was in the room dead and propped up on the chair. Was that another version of her Bio type that died?

Yes, they're failed D-series fetuses. Eveline is E-001: the first of the E-series BOWs that were being developed by Wesker's H.C.F.

Jawmuncher

I really wish we would have had more human jack in the game. He got "killed" off way too quick. Would've been so cool if say you had to run from both magerite and jack or something.

Spinky

I'm really curious as to why they chose to have Lucas get away and we never had a real confrontation with him. I kind of hope RE8 isn't as standalone as most REs are, there's still room for more things from 7 to be explored if they don't cover them in DLCs.
When they announce Chris for Marvel with a different voice actor we'll get our confirmation.
Jack Baker tho.
I've been campaigning for Jack Baker in Mahvel ever since it was announced, and I will settle for nothing less.

I want to punch Gods in the face with this man. Welcome some goddamn superheroes into the family.

Dusk Golem

I'm curious what happens to those infected once Eveline passes as she was the central host of sorts. Lucas gets away and it's implied once she dies that Jack and Zoe might be alive (I really take the phone ring at the end to imply that, but for added emphasis the hex code for the game calls that phone ringing buzz "Zoe epilogue scene").

So as things end out, I guess the only Baker family characters who canonically die are actually Marguerite and Eveline. Which is fine by me, after having RE characters become villains of the week for a while I don't mind there be returning faces from RE7. I think their fate is left a little ambiguous so they may appear again in the future or be one-off.

And of course, Lucas "Got off scott free", who Jack seems to believe is a good boy but very obviously is fucked up in the head, and was even before he was infected. Notably the file about Mia at the very end of the game is by Lucas, which implies he was in contact with an organization.and that he manipulated everything that happened. The ship crashing nearby to the Bakers is even implied to be his fault, he set the ship to explode in their bayou and 'found it', where Jack rescued those two (Eveline and Mia) which started everything.

Think either of them might be in the DLC then? I'm hoping, but not sure. Is the Not a Hero the only huge DLC contest wise really aside from the Gator character stuff?

I have some ideas of what the DLC may feature. We see a huge facility above the mines very briefly with helicopters flying towards it. But we never get to go to the facility ourselves. Even the save room with the rickity shack right before the entrance to the mines shows a diagram shown the mines and the lab, and we never get to go to the lab. I'm pretty sure the DLC will be set in that facility and that whole scene is one of the tie-in points where the side campaign and main campaign cross points. The facility is shown on the game's box art/key art, and you only see it briefly when you come out of the ship but never enter it, but as the helicopters enter it it's kind of set in stone that's probably the setting of the side location story.

And there is at least one other DLC piece that's after the two Banned footage things in the DLC Pass, another additional story episode, but we have zero details what it's about right now. So we have two additional sidestory chapters to look forward to, the Redfield one above will be free for everyone, the other one is part of the season pass and the last bit of the season pass to release.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is Eveline related to the Bakers? That part isn't so clear to me.

Daddy Baker says they found her, after the crash Evelyn was probably drifting around the bayou when one of the Baker's must have found her. Margarette's diary mentions something like them finding her and then the girl giving her 'the gift'.

Dusk Golem

Yes, they're failed D-series fetuses. Eveline is E-001: the first of the E-series BOWs that were being developed by Wesker's H.C.F.

That's what I had thought too, they're called a D-Arm and D-Head, and Eveline is part of the 'perfected' E-Series. Notes at the end mention there were A-D's, but they were inperfect and eradicated by making them wither, which is why I think they're mummified since they sort of dry out (like how Eveline turned old quickly despite being a little girl no more than three years ago). But to make the serum part of them was needed.

Isn't the helicopter ride at the end likely going to end with Ethan being detained by Umbrella? Maybe even turned into a boss in RE8?

It depends what the new Umbrella is. It could be that this new Umbrella was founded for the purpose of good. Chris working for it would make a bit of sense, if you rewatch/play RE5 & RE6, you'll notice that Chris doesn't really seem to like the BSAA. In fact, both games paint it out like he wants to leave the BSAA,

IE, "You want us to go in alone?", "Ever get the feeling you're expendable?", "Wow, I didn't know HQ cared," "More and more I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for," and various lines from RE5. In RE6 Chris leaves the BSAA for a period of time, and notably Chris is shown to have a 'darker' side as he almost hits a woman in the bar at the start, doesn't give a fuck about his comrades dying and just focuses on killing "ADDDDAAAAA", and at the end mentions he wants to leave the BSAA to Piers and this will be his last mission.

As weird as it may sound, Chris leaving the BSAA isn't that surprising with the context given in RE5/RE6. There's a chance Vendetta, the upcoming CG film in May, may show Chris leave the BSAA during its course, but we shall see.

I get the feeling this new Umbrella isn't like the old Umbrella or the BSAA, but something that fits more into Chris' presented ideologies. IE, we don't need to keep responding to these outbreaks when it's too late, we need eradicate all B.O.W.s from the Earth. In the series to this point keep in mind it's been established the world's government is corrupt, there's a family controlling world events, groups like TerraSave and the BSAA have some patches of corruption and twisted stuff, basically every group has evil in it. So maybe Chris just figured, "Fuck it, if every group out there is evil and wants to become the next Umbrella, then why don't we just become Umbrella and wipe everyone of them out?" I kind of get the impression after so many dying and so much happening with only the BSAA responding to situations once they've happened, that's not what he wants to do. And with the super powerful Albert weapon I get the feeling the group is focused on not responding to outbreaks, but actively seeking them out to eradicate them to get rid of the threat of bio-terror with an edge of irony in the name and organization.

But as series goes on, the group likely isn't exactly good either, as we even hear Chris say to kill Eveline on site, their goal isn't to keep the peace, it's actively to eradicate everything related to bio-terror.

That's my current theory at least, I'm sure we'll learn a lot more in the upcoming DLC and DLC. I think it is Chris, but things have changed a lot for him in the four years since RE6.

Is Eveline related to the Bakers? That part isn't so clear to me.

Not by blood, but she made the Bakers her family once she and Mia crashed up on the shore of the Baker family and they took her in.

Rean

Just the way I've been conditioned in games. You see Jack, then you see Jack with the growth, you fight marguerite, then you fight her mutated form. You see Lucas, who at the time is saying he has more suprises up his sleeve, then fight a towering mutant. Made more sense to me than Lucas randomly vanishing from the game.

Don't under the second paragraph. I've played every resident evil numerous times and it didn't make up for how weirdly handled things were in the last third of the game. It was either rushed or stuff was cut out for DLC.
Even then, the dialogue pretty much gives it away and its pretty hard to miss since he's talking to you for the whole fight. Ethan even says, "This is getting old Jack!" too. As for the Jack fights, they way your fights play out with him in the garage, chasing you around the house and then in the basement reminded me of the way you deal with
Nemesis in RE3. In the scripted fights with him his body gets damaged until at the very end he turns into a big monster. A similar thing even happens in 2 since Birkin gets more mutated after every encounter.

That's what I had thought too, they're called a D-Arm and D-Head, and Eveline is part of the 'perfected' E-Series. Notes at the end mention there were A-D's, but they were inperfect and eradicated by making them wither, which is why I think they're mummified since they sort of dry out (like how Eveline turned old quickly despite being a little girl no more than three years ago). But to make the serum part of them was needed.

So where they on the ship and she brought them to the house just to watch over them? safeguard?

Astral

I just remembered that when Ethan is telling Zoe that they need to make a serum he says "a D series head and arm. Wait that can't be right." I always thought that was an odd thing to say, as if he knew what those even were.

Wanderer5

I just realized that the westerner they brought in for the writing was also involved with F.E.A.R. That just cracks me up a lot, given Eveline.

Caffeine

If that's really Chris I'm gonna be pissed. I guess he stopped working out and got plastic surgery.

he would basically need to get his face destroyed in vendetta and end up in a coma bed ridden for over half a year. and then in those few months somehow wake up with amnesia and completely know his entire lifes training as umbrella reacquires him as an asset.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I just realized that the westerner they brought in for the writing was also involved with F.E.A.R. That just cracks me up a lot, given Eveline.

residentevil7biohazaryjuui.png

Kalentan

I just remembered that when Ethan is telling Zoe that they need to make a serum he says "a D series head and arm. Wait that can't be right." I always thought that was an odd thing to say, as if he knew what those even were.

I think it's becoming more and more plausible that Ethan has worked for Umbrella or something in the past. Would explain so much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The biggest example though it was later. Was the picture of jack in his marine uniform. But yeah I agree, if they wanted to humanize there were definitely better ways. For example what if the Birthday tape was instead literally the whole baker family throwing a regular Birthday for someone? Stuff like that I think would've been cool.

Oh man that would have been amazing. Have a Happy Birthday tape showing the family while they were normal celebrating Lucas' birthday one year, then have the current "Happy Birthday" tape still exist.

Fuck.

Felt pretty bad killing Evie tbh. Just felt like a euthanization of an old woman.

I didn't. She cut my hand off!

It depends what the new Umbrella is. It could be that this new Umbrella was founded for the purpose of good. Chris working for it would make a bit of sense, if you rewatch/play RE5 & RE6, you'll notice that Chris doesn't really seem to like the BSAA. In fact, both games paint it out like he wants to leave the BSAA,

IE, "You want us to go in alone?", "Ever get the feeling you're expendable?", "Wow, I didn't know HQ cared," "More and more I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for," and various lines from RE5. In RE6 Chris leaves the BSAA for a period of time, and notably Chris is shown to have a 'darker' side as he almost hits a woman in the bar at the start, doesn't give a fuck about his comrades dying and just focuses on killing "ADDDDAAAAA", and at the end mentions he wants to leave the BSAA to Piers and this will be his last mission.

As weird as it may sound, Chris leaving the BSAA isn't that surprising with the context given in RE5/RE6. There's a chance Vendetta, the upcoming CG film in May, may show Chris leave the BSAA during its course, but we shall see.

I get the feeling this new Umbrella isn't like the old Umbrella or the BSAA, but something that fits more into Chris' presented ideologies. IE, we don't need to keep responding to these outbreaks when it's too late, we need eradicate all B.O.W.s from the Earth. In the series to this point keep in mind it's been established the world's government is corrupt, there's a family controlling world events, groups like TerraSave and the BSAA have some patches of corruption and twisted stuff, basically every group has evil in it. So maybe Chris just figured, "Fuck it, if every group out there is evil and wants to become the next Umbrella, then why don't we just become Umbrella and wipe everyone of them out?" I kind of get the impression after so many dying and so much happening with only the BSAA responding to situations once they've happened, that's not what he wants to do. And with the super powerful Albert weapon I get the feeling the group is focused on not responding to outbreaks, but actively seeking them out to eradicate them to get rid of the threat of bio-terror with an edge of irony in the name and organization.

But as series goes on, the group likely isn't exactly good either, as we even hear Chris say to kill Eveline on site, their goal isn't to keep the peace, it's actively to eradicate everything related to bio-terror.

That's my current theory at least, I'm sure we'll learn a lot more in the upcoming DLC and DLC. I think it is Chris, but things have changed a lot for him in the four years since RE6.

This is pretty similar to my theory. A reformed Umbrella Corporation as an anti-BOW paramilitary or PMC isn't a bad idea. Besides, seeing his character evolve over the series, Chris Redfield as an anti-BOW Knight Templar is hardly a dramatic character evolution. He's always had a knack for this stuff.

I think it's becoming more and more plausible that Ethan has worked for Umbrella or something in the past. Would explain so much.

H.C.F., Wesker's task force, was responsible for the development of the D-series and E-series BOWs, not Umbrella. Ethan wasn't involved in that project; you're reading a lot into bad voice acting.

People here are forgetting Umbrella folded in 2003, 14 years ago in-story. Ethan could've worked at Umbrella, but he didn't work on Eveline. Otherwise he'd have recognized the patterns and known the cause immediately.

Top Bottom