• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

So was Mia working for Umbrella?

Chris contacted Ethan using the same type of watch that Mia was using in the flashback, or maybe it's just the cool watch that everyones using...

No. Umbrella hasn't existed in the RE canon since 2003.

I know nothing about Lousiana's geography but could a ship that big fit in a bayou?

It's on the Gulf Coast. The Bakers own a home that's within a few miles of the Gulf of Mexico.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can someone explain to me how Zoe died when/if she was cured? Like how is Eveline able to control and turn her into a statue if she is cured?

The only note that really talks about the cure says that there's a narrow time period where it actually works and is more often used just to kill the subject, so I took it to say she was too far gone.

But Zoe in general is a bit odd since nothing about her really stuck out as wrong.

The only note that really talks about the cure says that there's a narrow time period where it actually works and is more often used just to kill the subject, so I took it to say she was too far gone.

But Zoe in general is a bit odd since nothing about her really stuck out as wrong.

Yea I really don't understand how Eveline infects and controls others, the explanation was rather poor. I don't get how Zoe is completely fine in carrying out tasks without Eveline's control while she is infected but the others are completely out of control.

Jawmuncher

Yea I really don't understand how Eveline infects and controls others, the explanation was rather poor. I don't get how Zoe is completely fine in carrying out tasks without Eveline's control while she is infected but the others are completely out of control.

It's almost like eveline is the weakest story aspect of the entire game.

Jawmuncher

Really hope there are no more little girls for resident evil. Between Revelations 2 and 7, they bring the weakest story aspects RE has ever gotten

goonie

I coudln't tell, but was that ship a ocean liner or a ship specifically made to contain Eveie?
Neither--I can't remember what kind of ship it is, but people use it for work. There was a letter from one of the crewmembers to his wife saying Mia, Alan, and Eveline were hitching a ride.

Sherry grew up to be pretty great though.

sherry1.png

So wait, who was the ghost in the demo? I thought that maybe it was a hallucination of a middle-aged Eveline, but Clancy doesn't get infected so why would he be seeing hallucinations of her...

Does the ghost even show up in the full game?

Rizific

just finished in a tad under 9 hours. i wanted more. more of the house specifically with more (better) puzzles. still a great game!

dlauv

I liked Eveline quite a lot conceptually and as a bioweapon. It's very insidious and insanely powerful. I didn't like her VA or the idiotic "jump scare" after you watch the fourth VHS. Kind of corny and awkward, like Margueritte in the other Mia VHS.

I really like what she says after you inject her with the Necrotoxin. It's so tragic, watching a prematurely-aged child, bleeding from her eyes, with no sense of how awful she really is, wondering what's so wrong with her that she can't have a family.

I didn't like the explanation for the Molded though. I thought they were mutated corpses, but they're apparently just Eveline's secretions according to the Lab file iirc. I hope I misread. What did all of that "turned" list mean at the beginning?

was there supposed to be some significance to the food at the beginning of the game? Jack says it was supposed to be a "special feast", and then Marguirette freaks the fuck out when u dont eat it. Or was that just them being crazy?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
was there supposed to be some significance to the food at the beginning of the game? Jack says it was supposed to be a "special feast", and then Marguirette freaks the fuck out when u dont eat it. Or was that just them being crazy?

I think those are supposed to be human guts. The notes in the kitchen heavily imply that.

The helicopter at the end said Umbrella Corporation?

That's a new Umbrella. The original Umbrella that developed the t-Virus and other bioweapons does not exist.

Neo-Umbrella? #plotconvenience

Also gone. God, RE6 was stupid. I wish we could forget it happened.

Eh, not really. That article's not trustworthy. It doesn't have any sources.

For one, Corps (as in, military corps) is not short for Corpration. The entire article relies on that connection. Heck, it doesn't even source the game Umbrella Corps, much less RE7.

Plus, Umbrella Corps was Early Access-tier garbage. I'm sure Capcom would like everyone to just forget it ever existed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've got mixed thoughts on Eveline. To be honest, I think she's kind of meh until the very last area.

I like how she's used there (there's a very well placed hidden scare I experienced in the hallucination house that got me pretty good that I feel most would miss). Well that and Eveline's Room in the Greenhouse, and the scare on the ship with the monitor when Mia is using the camera to see Ethan in the Mold and Eveline comes out when you look away is maybe the jump scare that most got me in the game.

For her own character I liked her presence in the final area... To be honest, I kind of wish they had done more of that. They only really take advantage of her in Eveline's Room on the second floor of the Greenhouse, and the ending area.

But I admit I felt a bit bad for her with her final line she says as the old woman, the whole fact it's the only line we hear from her grandmother self, how she's sobbing, the delivery of that line, the timing, and the line itself, "Why does everyone hate me?"

I think that one moment made me like her a bit moor and feel some empathy towards her, and highlights the fact that she is a little girl who went from like, 10 years old to 80 in three years, and she's still a kid inside, and one who's her whole life either been treated like an experiment or a monster.

I know it's cheesy, but so is the series. I don't know, that singular moment made me like her a bit more.

Just noticed something. Should've made this connection earlier, honestly:

What kind of gun does Redfield throw down to Ethan? The Albert-01.

Look familiar? It should. The insignia on the grip is a dead giveaway.

latest

It's a Samurai Edge. Only used by S.T.A.R.S. members. Wesker lost his in RE5, and Chris could've picked it up. Besides that, the only people who could have one are Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca. We know Barry still has his as of Revelations 2.

Wesker's has the distinct laser underbarrel laser sight, just like the Albert-01.

latest

the stars logo is visible when Ethan picks it up at the end.

the stars logo is visible when Ethan picks it up at the end.

Exactly: it's Wesker or Chris' Samurai Edge, modified to kill BOWs. They were only made for S.T.A.R.S. agents.

The one you use in NG+ is a replica of that gun (and should probably be considered non-canon, considering other silly NG+ weapons in the series like the Chicago Typewriter and Infinite Launcher). It's also not nearly as powerful as the Albert-01 Chris throws down to you (the original), and with 40% less magazine capacity.

Wanderer5

Eh, not really. That article's not trustworthy. It doesn't have any sources.

For one, Corps (as in, military corps) is not short for Corpration. The entire article relies on that connection. Heck, it doesn't even source the game Umbrella Corps, much less RE7.

Plus, Umbrella Corps was Early Access-tier garbage. I'm sure Capcom would like everyone to just forget it ever existed.

Eh maybe they could even had taken the idea and redo it, but not sure if I would write this off just yet. The game might have suck, but the group's activity could possibly be explained without that game.

And is this a new logo (that shield thing)? A blue version of it is on the helicopter (actually it now has a added white outline).

Eh maybe they could even had taken the idea and redo it, but not sure if I would write this off just yet. The game might have suck, but the group's activity could possibly be explained without that game.

And is this a new logo (that shield thing)? A blue version of it is on the helicopter (actually it now has a added white outline).

Whether we like the game or not it's still an official release. It's not a stretch that the group is canon, in fact it makes more sense this way. Although I still don't buy that it's Chris, he looks far too different and he never gave his first name. Hopefully the dlc gives me more to chew on, as much as I love 7 there's not a whole lot to talk about in terms of the greater plot.

Yeah, I've seen the logo before. Played the game, actually (my advice is don't). I trust that it's canon, I just wish it wasn't. More or less I'm bothered by the lack of sources on that article. The one link is the logo. That's it.

If you ask me, that's Chris. But I don't think he's necessarily a good guy at this point. Like a post a while back stated, he's kinda done with the BSAA accomplishing basically nothing. But him operating with a reformed Umbrella (or at the least, one that hunts to secure or eliminate BOWs instead of producing them) seems more likely than "I can't believe Chris wouldn't be a hero, it's definitely HUNK." The DLC is called "Not a Hero", after all. My guess is that it's about why Chris is working with a reformed Umbrella.

Whether we like the game or not it's still an official release. It's not a stretch that the group is canon, in fact it makes more sense this way. Although I still don't buy that it's Chris, he looks far too different and he never gave his first name. Hopefully the dlc gives me more to chew on, as much as I love 7 there's not a whole lot to talk about in terms of the greater plot.

His full name is in the credits, and this isn't the first nor last time a character has been redesigned. Different project leads are going to have different ideas of how a character should look; that's why Chris went from a reasonably-proportioned guy in the REmake to a 1-ton beefcake with five o'clock shadow so dark it could blot out the sun.

His full name is in the credits, and this isn't the first nor last time a character has been redesigned. Different project leads are going to have different ideas of how a character should look; that's why Chris went from a reasonably-proportioned guy in the REmake to a 1-ton beefcake with five o'clock shadow so dark it could blot out the sun.
Fair enough, just doubles my excitement for the dlc if that's the case.

Well its nice to know that saving zoe is a total kick in the nuts. Whats the point of doing that? Does it alter the cutscene where jack is talking to ethan and hes all normal? Or does that happen regardless?

Im annoyed that saving zoe is a terrible ending. At least offer me something by going that route.

I just had a strange feeling that saving mia would backfire on me. Nope. Thats the sunshine and roses ending. Meanwhile i just ate a shit sandwich with a side of corn.

ORC is too small but still looks like Jill.
Revelations's lips are completely fucked up but otherwise isn't a crazy departure.
voice was terrible though.

That's less a case of the redesign being minor, and more "the character designers behind the series had one body and face type for most women"; keep in mind I'm not disagreeing with you in that they don't look similar (the design is basically unchanged).

Keeping in mind Jill is half-French, half-Japanese, and Rebecca is of Caucasian descent, you'd think there'd be more defining facial features. But aside from their clothes and hair, they've both got a bad case of sameface. And that's not just for the REmake; it persists across the entire franchise.

It's not until 4 that you start seeing more diverse designs for women in the games. And even then, the series doesn't showcase nearly as many body types or facial structures for women as it does men. Most of the women in RE (Jill, Rebecca, Ada, Sheva) have a thin profile, curved jawline, soft facial features, and a small nose.

Woohoo! Did my 2nd playthrough under 4 hours on normal. Got the saw and the x-ray glasses :), do the items apply to madhouse? Im gonna do a third and collect everything.

Dusk Golem

I think selecting Zoe is the much better ending pathway.

Zoe doesn't live (Or does she? Dun dun dun~), but I think Mia boss battle you get on the bad ending path is good, mixture of a bit sad and creepy, and I think the ending cutscene, even though only slightly different, is the better variation and works better with the tones of RE7.

Slaythe

Why is Ethan not controlled by Eve ?

Do we have 100% proof that Ethan is infected by that virus, despite his regenerative abilities ?

Dusk Golem

Matches the US version in terms of violence, except for the above.

Non-Grotesque... haven't tried it yet. Probably this weekend.

Curious to hear the full set of differences.

To be completely honest, I think stuffing your hand down the open Molded mouth formed on the Deputy's head is creepier than down the throat like you do in the US version, but that's just me.

EDIT: OH, I see. The key isn't down his throat, right next to it. That's a shame, I think stuffing your hand down the Molded's mouth (which goes through his head) would've been great.

Javin98

Banned
BTW, Dusk, the underwater behemoth you were teasing months before the game's release. Was that supposed to be Jack's mutated form?

Dusk Golem

Posted this in the OT, but thought it was relevant here too:

Favourite moments - everything with the Dad (even the talk with the pre-mutated bakers when you're trapped in the goo - genuinely had me feeling pretty sorry for those involved) (Also kind of felt sorry for Eveline too?)

To be honest, I felt bad for a lot of RE7's characters. They did good in getting empathy out of me towards some of the cast.

I didn't really care much for the deputy, but the way the Bakers wouldn't stop defiling his corpse made me feel progressively worse for him.

Clancey and the Sewer Gators I feel bad for. How they all die is kind of tragic, but I think Clancey has the worst of it with how his fate goes in in Lucas' Happy Birthday escape room. The actor for Clancey did a good job getting a response to me when you're in the room that's on fire.

Jack and Zoe come off as more tragic members of the Baker family as we get to see a bit more of their human side.

Eveline has one line right at the end that did hit me, it's right at the end, it's the only line you ever hear her say in her old woman form. She's simply sobbing after you injected her, and asking why everyone hates her? It's such a childish thing to say, she's having a child's fit, but it's an old woman crying over this, and it took me aback for a moment to think over how Eveline was just a 10-12 year old girl three years ago who became 80 due to the experiments, and never in any sense had a proper family or childhood she seeked.

Empathy some have a harder/easier time to feel, but as a fairly empathetic person I think one of the big points of RE7 which I do think works in its favor is almost every character is a bit tragic.

Well, everyone except Lucas.

BTW, Dusk, the underwater behemoth you were teasing months before the game's release. Was that supposed to be Jack's mutated form?

I found out some interesting information, some things changed in RE7's development (for example, Eveline was originally supposed to be a young boy, but they changed it to a young girl), the monster was never supposed to be underwater but there was originally a scene of it coming from underground which included water since the guy who leaked it saw screens of stuff from apparently an early story draft. Cameille was also the old woman's name in an early draft of the story but they changed it, and Jack originally had a dog apparently. Curious of the full details of that, would like to see an artbook sometime.

The most we've seen of the concept art was from an office screenshot posted a few months ago, should resurface it now that the game is out.

Posted this in the OT, but thought it was relevant here too:

To be honest, I felt bad for a lot of RE7's characters. They did good in getting empathy out of me towards some of the cast.

I didn't really care much for the deputy, but the way the Bakers wouldn't stop defiling his corpse made me feel progressively worse for him.

Clancey and the Sewer Gators I feel bad for. How they all die is kind of tragic, but I think Clancey has the worst of it with how his fate goes in in Lucas' Happy Birthday escape room. The actor for Clancey did a good job getting a response to me when you're in the room that's on fire.

Jack and Zoe come off as more tragic members of the Baker family as we get to see a bit more of their human side.

Eveline has one line right at the end that did hit me, it's right at the end, it's the only line you ever hear her say in her old woman form. She's simply sobbing after you injected her, and asking why everyone hates her? It's such a childish thing to say, she's having a child's fit, but it's an old woman crying over this, and it took me aback for a moment to think over how Eveline was just a 10-12 year old girl three years ago who became 80 due to the experiments, and never in any sense had a proper family or childhood she seeked.

Empathy some have a harder/easier time to feel, but as a fairly empathetic person I think one of the big points of RE7 which I do think works in its favor is almost every character is a bit tragic.

Well, everyone except Lucas.
At the same time I love that Mia starts out sympathetic(actually felt it "killing" her initially)
Feels vulnerable at the start of the ship,
and suddenly she is a badass Umbrella-ish operative.

Javin98

Banned
I found out some interesting information, some things changed in RE7's development (for example, Eveline was originally supposed to be a young boy, but they changed it to a young girl), the monster was never supposed to be underwater but there was originally a scene of it coming from underground which included water since the guy who leaked it saw screens of stuff from apparently an early story draft. Cameille was also the old woman's name in an early draft of the story but they changed it, and Jack originally had a dog apparently. Curious of the full details of that, would like to see an artbook sometime.
Ah, just as I expected, content changes in development. Pretty standard stuff, almost every work has had revised content at some points. I was just curious, because I recall you saying the underwater behemoth would be one of the largest monstrosities in the series and Jack's mutation definitely wasn't, haha. Also, I just realized after beating the game that old woman Eveline was never referred to as Camille even once throughout the game, not even in notes. Then I remembered that you were the one who mentioned the name. It being cut or changed makes a lot more sense now. :p

At the same time I love that Mia starts out sympathetic(actually felt it "killing" her initially)
Feels vulnerable at the start of the ship,
and suddenly she is a badass Umbrella-ish operative.
Couldn't agree more. Probably the best character personality transitions I've seen in a game. It also helps that being a couple of monster slayers is goddamn awesome.

Top Bottom