• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil classic bundle (original 90s PC versions of 1, 2 and 3) available now of GOG.com

GrayChild

Also, couldn't help myself and messed up the thread title, but oh well.. Anyway...

HJkw1qb.png

https://gog.prowly.com/328466-capco...to-release-the-original-resident-evil-trilogy

June 26th, 2024 – In joint efforts with the original creators, Capcom, we’re thrilled to announce the re-release of the original Resident Evil™, the groundbreaking series that heralded the golden age of the survival horror genre!
This iconic classic is now available with all its original content intact, featuring quality of life improvements and enhanced compatibility for modern systems. As part of GOG’s ongoing effort to protect and preserve classic games, Resident Evil is now available on the DRM-free GOG store.

Capcom's Resident Evil series has defined and revolutionized the survival horror genre, with the original Resident Evil, Resident Evil™ 2, and Resident Evil™ 3: Nemesis being standout titles that have captivated gamers worldwide. While Resident Evil set the stage, introducing players to the eerie Spencer Mansion and navigating them through terrifying encounters and intricate puzzles, its atmospheric tension and innovative gameplay mechanics laid the foundation for the series' success. Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis successfully expanded the universe, delivering unforgettable experiences that deepened the franchise's lore and horror elements.

Resident Evil 1 can be played right now, 2 and 3 will be released shortly.

https://www.gog.com/game/resident_evil
  • Full compatibility with Windows 10 and Windows 11.
  • All 4 localizations of the game included (English, German, French, Japanese).
  • Improved DirectX game renderer.
  • New rendering options (Windowed Mode, Vertical Synchronization Control, Gamma Correction, Integer Scaling, Anti-Aliasing and more).
  • Improved timing of the cutscenes.
  • Improved game video player.
  • Improved game registry settings.
  • Issue-free game exit and task switching.
  • Full support for modern controllers (Sony DualSense, Sony DualShock4, Microsoft Xbox Series, Microsoft Xbox One, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, Logitech F series and many more) with optimal button binding regardless of the hardware and wireless mode.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Is this the PS1 version, or rather patched Windows release, as is usual?

Playing it right now. It's basically a remastered version of the original 1997 PC port. So if anyone hopes for the extras from the Directors Cut edition, they're not here. Thankfully they seem to have kept the original soundtrack as well.

The new settings are configured through a separate DX wrapper app, not in game:

sQ2B5FD.png

And here's the most controversial change. The ink ribbons seem to be gone. You can save freely at any typewriter. WTF?

Last edited:

SomeGit

Playing it right now. It's basically a remastered version of the original 1997 PC port. So if anyone hopes for the extras from the Directors Cut edition, they're not here. Thankfully they seem to have kept the original soundtrack as well.

sQ2B5FD.png

And here's the most controversial change. The ink ribbons seem to be gone. You can save freely at any typewriter. WTF?

The PC port of RE1 didn’t have ink ribbons. 2 and 3 did from what I remember.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Considering all sound and music is in basic .wav's that can be accessed even outside the game, the replacement is gonna be incredibly easy.

Time for all players to experience the best survival horror soundtrack of all time:

We all know that meme track but I miss soundtracks actually wanting to scare you shitless:

emivita

RE1 Director's Cut with the Deranged difficulty mod and the Dreamcast version of RE2 (on the highest difficulty) are probably the best way to play the games with the appropriate challenge. And lol, no ink ribbons is for pussies.

Last edited:

Fake

you can argue this for 2 and 3 remake but there's no reason to play RE1 when the remake exists

The remake is good, but have their cons.

I had the Game Cube version here and I admit I not a fan of the way they threat the crests in this game. Was really lazy in comparison with the original.

And the remaster is fucking terrible with music and that go up/go down camera voew when you choise 16:9.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Overview of these ports.

They're very basic conversions of the OG PC releases from the 90s, they did not incorporate any of the fan fixes or background enhancements.

Even the FMV still runs at 10 fps, like it did back then.

This is good for preservation's sake, but there are definitely much better ways to 'modernize' all 3 games in 2024 if one so chooses to.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Will definitely get RE2&3 once they hit.

Never played them. Only the remakes.

RE1 remake we have now is basically the definitive edition of the game anyway so I don’t see a reason to play the OG for that one specifically.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member

sQ2B5FD.png

Good that I don't have to fiddle with ink ribbons, but I need to know whether it has manual aiming or auto aim?

P.S. It is fucked that the one character with the most limited inventory actually has to use the ribbons if true.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good that I don't have to fiddle with ink ribbons, but I need to know whether it has manual aiming or auto aim?

P.S. It is fucked that the one character with the most limited inventory actually has to use the ribbons.

It was always meant to be this way. The Japanese version of OG RE1 labels Jill as Easy and Chris as Hard, they took those out for the localizations for some reason.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Hugare

I apprecciate their existence, but PS1 games should really be played with CRT filters

I've been using it on Duckstation and I can't go back to seeing those pixels at a LCD screen in HD

Specially games with static backgrounds. They look terrible without a CRT pass.

Top Bottom