• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil classic bundle (original 90s PC versions of 1, 2 and 3) available now of GOG.com

ssringo

Gold Member
Would prefer a Steam release but will happily support a proper modern PC release on GoG and buy again if it comes down to it.

Sadly, r/SteamDeck comments seem to indicate it's not working on Deck at the moment.

GrayChild

Would prefer a Steam release but will happily support a proper modern PC release on GoG and buy again if it comes down to it.

Sadly, r/SteamDeck comments seem to indicate it's not working on Deck at the moment.

It appears that these versions were co-developed by GOG if their official page is anything to go by. It's basically Capcom providing them with retail copies of the original PC ports to which they added numerous compatibility fixes, but nothing more (it's funny seeing the original readme.txt file intact which still states that the game is compatible only with Windows 95). So I wouldn't hold my breath for a release outside of GOG, at least on PC.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seamless HD works with the GoG version, hurray.

Is there a mod, or similar, with AI enhanced backgrounds, etc?

Yes, google Resident Evil Seamless HD Mod. They are available for all 3 OG games.

GRAZpzyXwAACEd4

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
It seems that auto aim is there, so I am definitely getting this. Hopefully there is one that fixes the carpet texture in the main hall and rock texture in the cave. Those bother the hell out of me.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

I want to get a Steam Deck just to play GOG releases but apparently it’s still not really there.

lestar

really good for preservation, but I'd like an official HD remaster with all extra content like Director's Cut for RE1 and the N64 extra content for RE2

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Soodanim

Based on the small amount I've read I might stick with the versions I have because Gemini's excellent work seems to outclass this, but I've always said if the classics were for sale I'd buy them. They're now for sale, so I will buy them.

It's a shame there weren't PC ports of the other games.

SomeGit

So found 2 ways of playing it on Deck. The "easy" way but the FMVs don't seem to be working correctly:

-Install Heroic Game Launcher;
-Login to GOG and Install the game (any version is fine);
-After installing, click on the game and go to setting, on Wine Version pick one of the latest proton versions;
-Go to the advanced tab, scroll down to Environment Variables and add the following on name "WINEDLLOVERRIDES" and on value "dinput.dll,ddraw.dll=n,b";
-Click the plus sign, exit and try to launch the game;
-If it works fine, on the options menu above click Add to Steam, restart Steam and it should all be fine, press start to skip the FMVs.

The hard(er) way:

-Install Heroic Game Launcher;
-Login to GOG and Install the game, you have to install the Japanese version!
-After installing, click on the game and go to setting, on Wine Version pick one of the latest proton versions;
-Download both Classic Rebirth DLL and the Capcom 1.01 patch;
-Download this version of dgVoodoo2;
-Open the folder you installed RE from Heroic, backup and remove these files: ddraw.dll, dinput.dll, biohazard.exe;
-Extract the Classic Rebirth DLL and Capcom patch, into this folder;
-From dgVoodoo2, you need to extract these files dgVoodoo.conf, MS/x86/DDraw.dll, MS/x86/DD3DImm.dll, before placing the on the RE folder, make sure to rename this DDraw.dll to re_ddraw.dll, after that copy these 3 files to the RE folder;
-Edit dgVoodoo.conf with any text editor, find the [DirectX] sections and change VideoCard = ati_radeon_8500, VRAM = 4GB, dgVoodooWatermark = false;
-Go back to Herioc and on the advanced tab, scroll down to Environment Variables and add the following on name "WINEDLLOVERRIDES" and on value "d3dimm.dll,ddraw.dll=n,b";
-Click the plus sign, exit and try to launch the game;
-If it works fine, on the options menu above click Add to Steam, restart Steam and it should all be fine.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Integer scaling is great to see - such an important feature.

I'm mostly excited for Resident Evil 2, as I recall hearing that the Japanese PC version of the game was technically the best version overall... and it looks like that's being included in the GOG release.

Hopefully this bodes well for more of the RE games coming to GOG. DRM-free's still a huge selling point for me.

• Thoughtful

Puscifer

Those games didn’t age well at all. I recommend the 2,3 remakes and waiting for 1 remake.

The original 2 and 3 have more actual content than the remakes. I love 2 remake but the scenario changes are superficial, whereas there's entire sections and story elements that aren't there in the remake.

3 is a non linear sandbox vs corridor shooter, I feel like that says it all.

hemo memo

Gold Member

The original 2 and 3 have more actual content than the remakes. I love 2 remake but the scenario changes are superficial, whereas there's entire sections and story elements that aren't there in the remake.

3 is a non linear sandbox vs corridor shooter, I feel like that says it all.

Let me rephrase to make clearer. RE2 and 3 remakes are better designed video games than the originals.

Puscifer

Let me rephrase to make clearer. RE2 and 3 remakes are better designed video games than the originals.
That is objectively false.

As I stated, the scenario A/Bs have entire storylines and areas that don't exist in the remake.

RE3make redesigned a sandbox to turned it into a linear shooter including a wave level. Nothing about the way the remake was designed is superior to the original.

Unless you just don't like tank controls, cool, but a change in perspective =/= better design

raduque

I only ever played the Directors Cut on Playstation way back in the late 90s.

I'm in the middle of playing a bunch of other games right now, so I'll buy it and put it aside for now.

dolabla

This is amazing. I already have the originals on PC with the seamless HD mod installed, but I'm still going to buy these to support. I can use these as original playthroughs. Dino Crisis needs to be next.

Power Pro

Every time the classic version of resident evil 2 gets released, i keep wishing they would try to bring over the N64 one...that one had unique features not present in any other release, like non-tank controls.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Every time the classic version of resident evil 2 gets released, i keep wishing they would try to bring over the N64 one...that one had unique features not present in any other release, like non-tank controls.
The non-tank controls are in the Gamecube rerelease.
Seamless HD works with the GoG version, hurray.

Yes, google Resident Evil Seamless HD Mod. They are available for all 3 OG games.

GRAZpzyXwAACEd4

Is there a special resolution or set of settings for it? Mine does not look nearly as clean on the edges and has visible pixelation.

Last edited:

Power Pro

The non-tank controls are in the Gamecube rerelease.
I'm gonna have to fact check you on that lol I have the Gamecube version, so I'm gonna have to boot it up. I don't remember it having that feature.

I think the N64 version also had some unique costumes also.

Edit: Yeah, sorry but you're wrong. Tried every control scheme in the GC version, and they're all variations of tank controls.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Is there a special resolution or set of settings for it? Mine does not look nearly as clean on the edges and has visible pixelation.

I have not tried with the GoG version so far but here are some pics from my Seamless HD modded copy from a few days ago.

When you use the mod launcher, make sure you choose the Seamless HD version from the dropdown, I think it defaults to the original version.

The HD lads also ran the FMV through an AI upscaler so it looks hell of a lot cleaner than default.

YISUqDD.png
gKSDRVS.png

OEwpT1V.png
JqnMAue.png
GfYvxSB.png
8T5M8PJ.png

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I'm gonna have to fact check you on that lol I have the Gamecube version, so I'm gonna have to boot it up. I don't remember it having that feature.

I think the N64 version also had some unique costumes also.

Edit: Yeah, sorry but you're wrong. Tried every control scheme in the GC version, and they're all variations of tank controls.
Are you saying that the N64 had controls that were independent of the camera angles? I thought you were talking about smooth directional analog movement.

I have not tried with the GoG version so far but here are some pics from my Seamless HD modded copy from a few days ago.

When you use the mod launcher, make sure you choose the Seamless HD version from the dropdown, I think it defaults to the original version.

The HD lads also ran the FMV through an AI upscaler so it looks hell of a lot cleaner than default.

YISUqDD.png
gKSDRVS.png

OEwpT1V.png
JqnMAue.png
GfYvxSB.png
8T5M8PJ.png
Yeah something is definitely off on my end. I am getting the hd movies and hd 3d models but not the hd backgrounds... :unsure:

Power Pro

Are you saying that the N64 had controls that were independent of the camera angles? I thought you were talking about smooth directional analog movement.
Yeah, they're like the "modern controls" that REmake and Zero had on newer consoles. You push left, character goes left, push right, character goes right. It's a little wonky because when the camera changes, you character doesn't keep going straight until you let go of the stick, like REmake and Zero did, and it quickly shifts to change the orientation of what the new camera angle is depending on where you're pushing the stick.

adamsapple

Yeah something is definitely off on my end. I am getting the hd movies and hd 3d models but not the hd backgrounds... :unsure:

Yeah, unfortunately installing RE1 Seamless is more involved than the very simple RE2/3 HD mods cause it builds on top of a few other mods.

I'd say delete everything and give it a fresh start and follow this if you weren't already:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Yeah, unfortunately installing RE1 Seamless is more involved than the very simple RE2/3 HD mods cause it builds on top of a few other mods.

I'd say delete everything and give it a fresh start and follow this if you weren't already:

I managed to get the HD backgrounds working but the darks have strange bright artifacts and there is occasional crashing. I am just going to assume it has to do with the AMD card and take the L.

Last edited:
Top Bottom