• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Spinky

EDIT: Been posted already, never mind yo.

MOAR EDIT: Eh, this one's better quality, may as well post it anyway.

CzqSWCrW8AQ5Wj8.jpg:large

lookarebbeca.

I wonder if the dragon creature in Final Chapter is the RE7 enemy. At first I thought it would be an original inspired by the flying Plagas in RE5, but we do know there is some sort of flying creature that attacks on the highway in RE7.

The 20 GB seems rather small for what we've been expecting through rumors and recent articles, even with optimization and compression in mind.

OniBaka

Yeah Rebecca can pass off on looking mid 30s in that picture, I've seen a lot of women looking like that in the same age bracket.

Seyavesh

Why couldn't they give Chris his RE5 hair in the movie, I'm fine with his face though.
i think it's because the RE5 hair is supposed to be representative of a chris who's let himself go to some extent- i remember reading in an interview that his hair was originally meant to be more like re6/vendetta's hair in re5 but they wanted to express that he was a bit more "wild" so it was messy/grown out instead of military standard

boy howdy does it look bad though

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
New Japanese interview with the Resident Evil 7/series producer since RE5: http://www.gamespark.jp/article/2016/12/02/70314.html

It's a... Weird interview. Since for some reason the interview is half about RE7, and half about Ash vs Evil Dead... Like, that's fine but I don't know why they talked about Ash vs Evil Dead so much? I don't think he has anything to do with it, it sounds from Google Translating like the interviewer just viewed both RE7 and Ash vs Evil Dead as revivals of a series and wanted his opinion on it for some reason, but anyways some of the interesting bits...

-He talks about how it was fun to see Bruce in Ash vs Evil Dead, and thinks the appeal is similar to how people are happy to see characters from the series return in their own franchise. People like learning more about characters they form a connection with. Also thought it was interesting how the series tackled certain elements, despite being a TV series there was a very big Video Game feel to it, and some techniques they used, like the still mouth with a blurry body of the monster in episode 3 of Evil Dead was interesting and did have him thinking how such techniques could be translated to games.

-Talking about horror design, he discusses one of the most important aspects is "How to draw a person in", to make them maybe confused or even mystified or scared, but wanting to continue to learn more. He talks about how part of this can be due to liking a character, or an enemy being terrifying but interesting.

-He comments that in development of Resident Evil 7, one of the films they looked at an analyzed was Evil Dead. The producer wanted them to focus on how low-budget horror can be enjoyable through the raw passion and execution of ideas, one of their goals with RE7 was to simulate this sort of passionate, raw take on horror.

-He talks about balancing a world view for a series like Resident Evil and Evil Dead. On one hand you have this absurd world wit absurd ideas, and various elements of it which are just stupid, but there's these realistic settings mixed in or character moments that are realistic, it's a balancing act of making it grand and bigger than life, but grounding it in life, he says.

-He talks about how episodic structure does interest him and how they tackled in in the Revelations games. He also talks about how when a new character comes to an established franchise, there's always a concern of what kind of character they are, how they fit in, and what effects they may have on a series. Also talks about how sometimes being condensed in episodic format might be a good idea, he though Ash vs Evil Dead was an hour long show, but it's only 30 minutes, and that sort of cutting of fat maybe helped to deliver a more compact but memorable experience.

-Asked about how RE7 seems to be pulling from 'Splatter" films as they're known in Japan, which are popular in America & Europe but not Japan, how they think RE7 may be received in Japan. He mentions that Ash vs Evil Dead doesn't use blood as a way to transfer 'infection', so they can get away with drenching characters in buckets of blood. In Resident Evil, the series isn't really a 'splatter' series, they try to make characters bleeding not too flashy. They think RE is a 'horror' rather than a 'splatter', Thinks the entertainment of 'horror' and 'splatter' may seem similar, but are adversely different in where the entertainment comes from.

-About laughing in horror, he says with RE7 they are trying to make it a horror and not a comedy, but if all it is happens to be horror then there's no balance and not only can be a detriment to horror but also entertainment. So there are lighter moments in RE7, but even in scary scenes at the peak of it sometimes people may laugh or even cry, and it's not bad for it to be experienced like that as it's an emotional moment that impacts different people differently, and sometimes there's an odd allure to horror that makes us want to smile at it.

-Talks about how in games you have to create things from the ground-up instead of film or TV where you have to scout for the best locations. In both you want t o capture an 'image' of being near death, of having a threat, something to enrapture the audience. He thinks it's easy to sometimes in games build something up until it's too much, or want to get bigger and better that it takes away from the horror, since you have so much control over what happens you can overdo it. But it's important to think of what may leave the most impact, sometimes less is more. There is a restriction in expression in a TV series grounded by the world around us, but they use this to their advantage to make immersive stories, characters, dramatic situations, etc. But if you do too much of this as a video game, players will think too much control is taken away from them and may think the game is too simple or forced. He describes it as with Film you need to push something to be enjoyed, and with games you need to pull something to be enjoyed; TV series need to express, while games need to draw in. In Film you have no agency, so you need to enjoy what's in front of you, while in games you have agency so you need to make players want to fill the role. Very different distinctions and one of the big differences in the medium he feels.

-Talks about how the character in RE7 isn't a "strong" character like Ash from Evil Dead. Part of the role of Ethan in RE7 is to help the player become part of the world, but also want to express how Ethan is a normal person in peril and to care about Ethan, so he isn't a blank slate. Something they did for RE7 was an important balancing act of having Ethan have enough personality to make him interesting while also not being an outlandish personality, but also allowing the player to fill the shoes enough to help them make decisions as themselves and not strictly their character.

-He says there's some similarities to RE7 and Ash vs Evil Dead, he recommends if you like one to check out the other, they have their differences but I guess somehow they have a relation?

---

...The big thing I'm still confused about is what connection RE7 & Ash vs Evil Dead even has? Do they have some sort of deal in Japan? It sounds like maybe Ash vs Evil Dead got super popular in Japan and so they ask the RE7 guy about it since the series is really taking off in Japan as a guy in the Japanese horror industry.

I wonder if the dragon creature in Final Chapter is the RE7 enemy. At first I thought it would be an original inspired by the flying Plagas in RE5, but we do know there is some sort of flying creature that attacks on the highway in RE7.

We need Jake Baker with his weird paint roller laced with spikes (or whatever that is).

I've returned to the thread. Long time since I posted something here, the RE7 trailer let me wondering if I would like it (mainly because of the FP view) but it seems to be a good RE game given by the previews.

Dusk, thanks for the post about the timeline, it helped to refresh my memory.

And about that Vendetta scan, Rebecca looks almost the same IMO. But I'll wait for a more clear pic to make a better opinion about her look.

BTails

Got my Dirty Coin from the RE7 demo this evening! I'm almost done with the demo now, just one more quick playthrough when I get my PSVR to get accustomed to it before the actual game releases.

I have still yet to get either the true ending or the coin. Snow kept knocking out the power, and I just never got back around to it. Might take some time tomorrow in between RE5 sessions.

BTails

I have still yet to get either the true ending or the coin. Snow kept knocking out the power, and I just never got back around to it. Might take some time tomorrow in between RE5 sessions.

True ending is pretty disappointing, to be honest. I liked the "infected" ending more, for sure! It was fund doing the puzzle to get the coin though, I hope there's something similar in the main game (as an optional quest, of course!!!).

Jawmuncher

Was gonna hop back on Revelations 2, to beat it before RE7 came out. Lasted 10 minutes and turned it off. I've beaten it before, but there's just something about the game I don't like.

I really do think a lot of it is related to the budget. It looks worse than RE5 & 6 despite coming out afterwards, and the level design just feels odd.

The whole game to me is just "odd". Gameplay wise I even prefer Revelations 1. That at least had the excuse of being a portable game, which in the regard it's of a higher quality than most.

I'll probably get back to it later. But Revelations sure isn't something I see myself going back to very often like i do the others. I get that people like them, but the Revelations games are probably my lowest opinion of the series outside of like Gaiden.

Mr_Zombie

I agree. Revelations 2, despise an interesting concept, good gameplay ideas and overall enjoyable atmosphere and story, just screams "low budget". The graphics, the combat mechanics, cut-scenes direction - it's all just "meh". It' still good, but it's really weird that RE5, working on the same engine (an older version even) and released 6 years (!) before Revelations 2 still looks way better than Rev2.

Zambatoh

Rebecca actually looks Caucasian now. Talk about a race lift.
As unintended as it may have been to begin with, stuff like that still amuses me.

Jawmuncher

I mean, RE7 looks about as budget as fuck so far, so not sure how you can excited about it if that's a major concern.

Playing the demo for 7, it doesn't feel that way to me. It's a different experience for sure, but I wouldn't say it's budget. We'll see when it comes out, but the fact that it's mainline, I would think they'd put more money in across the board. RE7 is the first mainline title this gen and it feels like it.

Revelations 2 feels like this odd title that if someone didn't know better could have come out after RE4 and before RE5 & someone would probably believe it.

Mr_Zombie

I mean, RE7 looks about as budget as fuck so far, so not sure how you can excited about it if that's a major concern.

Different kind of game and scope.

Revelations 2 was the sequel to the action oriented, fast paced RE games. While Revelations 1 was excused since at first it was an exclusive handheld game, Rev2 was from the ground up made for the same platforms that RE5 and RE6 were. And yet even the Raid levels that were ripped from RE6 looked kind of weird in Rev2 due to worse lighting and effects.

RE7, on the other hand, is a much slower and smaller experience. And while I didn't like the "cut-scenes" directions and bland NPCs design from the demo, the environment was really rich and detailed.

I mean, even ignoring that we know they spent money on making a whole engine and a whole studio building for photogrammetry where RE7 will be the first title to use both of these, the game is designed to have PSVR, has HDR support, Has a lot of more detailed environments not relying on copy-and-paste assets for more detailed rooms, and has obviously the biggest budget out of any game of its type. Appeared at multiple trade shows and working closely with Sony.

Well, this too.

Dusk Golem

Some of the things I've seen people call RE7. 'Low-budget' in comparison to Revelations 2? I mean, even ignoring that we know they spent money on making a whole engine and a whole studio building for photogrammetry where RE7 will be the first title to use both of these, the game is designed to have PSVR, has HDR support, Has a lot of more detailed environments not relying on copy-and-paste assets for more detailed rooms, and has obviously the biggest budget out of any game of its type. Appeared at multiple trade shows and working closely with Sony. The only reason it would seem 'budgeted' is because the horror game scene has been indie dominated for the last 7 years, so people just automatically assume any first-person horror game is 'like an indie'.

I really need to make an effort as a horror fan to raise more awareness of the whole horror scene. If RE7 has taught me anything before release, there's so many misconceptions on the genre it's fucking ridiculous. It's like people just go dumb and see what they want to see the moment a horror game has a first-person perspective. I knew that most people don't know 95% of horror games currently releasing already, but I didn't know how many blinding biases people had towards them.

Jawmuncher

Some of the things I've seen people call RE7. 'Low-budget' in comparison to Revelations 2? I mean, even ignoring that we know they spent money on making a whole engine and a whole studio building for photogrammetry where RE7 will be the first title to use both of these, the game is designed to have PSVR, has HDR support, Has a lot of more detailed environments not relying on copy-and-paste assets for more detailed rooms, and has obviously the biggest budget out of any game of its type. Appeared at multiple trade shows and working closely with Sony. The only reason it would seem 'budgeted' is because the horror game scene has been indie dominated for the last 7 years, so people just automatically assume any first-person horror game is 'like an indie'.

I really need to make an effort as a horror fan to raise more awareness of the whole horror scene. If RE7 has taught me anything before release, there's so many misconceptions on the genre it's fucking ridiculous. It's like people just go dumb and see what they want to see the moment a horror game has a first-person perspective. I knew that most people don't know 95% of horror games currently releasing already, but I didn't know how many blinding biases people had towards them.

YouTube has been a double sided sword for the genre

dlauv

It's a bit "low-budget" in that they're going for the intentional b-movie feel. The demo, whilst a vertical slice invented completely separate from the game itself, is very minimalistic. You've got like 10 small rooms total, not counting hallways, which are very cramped. Production values are very good, however.

Revelations 2 was obviously low budget in terms of production values, but the scope of he game was definitely Hollywood or at least Prime Time TV.

At end of day it looks cheap and low budget and uses a bunch of tricks that low budget games use to try hide how low budget they are, what was actually spent is irrelevant, only what players experience matters.

At least Rev2 also had a budget price.

Dusk Golem

At end of day it looks cheap and low budget and uses a bunch of tricks that low budget games use to try hide how low budget they are, what was actually spent is irrelevant, only what players experience matters.

At least Rev2 also had a budget price.

I just knabbed the first in-game screenshots that appear when google image searching Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour. For a secondary comparison of grabbing the second in-game screen that appears, and choosing the screens in the highest resolution available:

Keeping in mind a lot of these are comparing the PC RE6 with the PS4 RE7.

Or if we want to draw the Revelations 2 comparison:

I just knabbed the first in-game screenshots that appear when google image searching Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour. For a secondary comparison of grabbing the second in-game screen that appears, and choosing the screens in the highest resolution available:

It's a pretty bad comparison considering the huge scope of RE6 compared to RE7. Plus those RE7 shots aren't even in-game, you can see clearly in all of them for one thing.

RSB

Banned
I've been replaying Revelations 2 these past couple of days.

I still think the game is mediocre, but I enjoyed it a bit more this time around. Hell, playing it right after the RE7 demo even made it seem great for a (brief) moment.

The low budget look doesn't bother me much, though if there's ever a Revelations 3, they better revamp the gameplay, because it is dull AF when compared to RE4-6. They should have just copy and pasted the gameplay from RE6 (or even 5)

It's a bit "low-budget" in that they're going for the intentional b-movie feel. The demo, whilst a vertical slice invented completely separate from the game itself, is very minimalistic. You've got like 10 small rooms total, not counting hallways, which are very cramped. Production values are very good, however.

Revelations 2 was obviously low budget in terms of production values, but the scope of he game was definitely Hollywood or at least Prime Time TV.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought that's what he was meaning, not literally low budget. I really don't know why the actual budget of a game makes any difference to anyone, but okay, I guess.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought that's what he was meaning, not literally low budget. I really don't know why the actual budget of a game makes any difference to anyone, but okay, I guess.

It usually doesn't, Revelations 2 just sticks out to me. Like gameplay wise it's fine (though could be better). But the entire experience I find to be odd, I can't really nail it. Especially when I find something like Umbrella Corps fine for what it is.

Revelations budget and design just rubs me the wrong way and I'm not quite sure wise. Like I said before. If this game was older than it actually was, I'd probably cut it a lot more slack.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My main beef with REV2 is that the guns just don't feel good. The feedback isn't good, there is a weightlessness to it all. This is easiest to see in in Code Red, where you have all these badass guns and spongy enemies... everything feels like a peashooter. This is a place where RE5 (not so much RE6) really shines.

Considering cost and generosity of the package, that's my main beef. Combat is adequate (I like the dodge button) for a budget title, but I miss the crazy crack of the RE5 Hydra. Everything works ok (if we are realistic about costs), but guns really ought to feel better in a game focused on gunplay.

Still was my GOTY in a tough year

strafer

My main beef with REV2 is that the guns just don't feel good. The feedback isn't good, there is a weightlessness to it all. This is easiest to see in in Code Red, where you have all these badass guns and spongy enemies... everything feels like a peashooter. This is a place where RE5 (not so much RE6) really shines.

Considering cost and generosity of the package, that's my main beef. Combat is adequate (I like the dodge button) for a budget title, but I miss the crazy crack of the RE5 Hydra. Everything works ok (if we are realistic about costs), but guns really ought to feel better in a game focused on gunplay.

Still was my GOTY in a tough year

All the guns in the Resident Evil series sounds like shit, that's the thing that disappoints me the most.

REv2 is a blast to replay due to all the little time saving tricks and ease of speed running through that isn't merely how quickly you kill or avoid enemies. The timed aND invisible modes were done well also.

However, I hated the bonus episode with Moira to where I haven't finished it, and the sluice gate area is just a drag on every playthrough. Raid mode also isn't as addicting as Mercs, and I grew bored of it quickly.

Still, a decent RE game with some story and pacing issues.

Spinky

RER2 definitely has its issues - Little Miss, the extra episode with Natalia, is possibly the least amount of fun I've ever had with an RE game. But I really think they did a damn fine job with most of what they had. Tonally it's one of my favourite entries in ages, plus Barry is top three RE protagonists.

I'd MAYBE go as far to say that it was a slight step up for the series, although I will always defend 5 and 6... mostly.

If (when) RER3 comes around, a slightly bigger budget would really help, though. Among other things.

Just please, never bring Alex Wesker back ever again. I don't care how the game ended, just spare us.

EDIT: Oh, also, there's a mod that turns Moira's crowbar into a candy cane and makes the game ten times better as a result.

Jawmuncher

Why capcom has a hard on for killing villains as soon as they're introduced is beyond me. Then imo fucking up alex in Rev 2 was the last straw there.

Gonna be 10 years for us to find out what happened there via a text file in another spin off game more than likely.

The
mind transfer
thing never will work for me, just like the Queen Leech in RE0 and Carla in 6. Just a few steps too far that brings me out of the game.

At least by the time it's addressed, Alex should at least be 16 to not have to try and take seriously a
little girl
villain.

Dusk Golem

The
mind transfer
thing never will work for me, just like the Queen Leech in RE0 and Carla in 6. Just a few steps too far that brings me out of the game.

At least by the time it's addressed, Alex should at least be 16 to not have to try and take seriously a
little girl
villain.

To Natalia's credit, the person they had voice Natalia (who was an actual little girl) maybe gave one of the best child performances I think I've ever seen in a video game. Really helped me accept Natalia despite reservations I had towards her.

Anyways, in the RE series timeline, she'd be 16 years old right when RE7 takes place, so probably won't have to worry too much about it.

finley83

Banned
I didnt like Rev 2 at all at first but it grew on me throughout. The settings got better and better and by Chapter 3 I was really enjoying myself! Haven't played the DLC epilogues though, maybe at some point. I did put about 70 hours into Raid mode, it was a perfect podcast game. Would like to see it return with a better budget at some point!

Jawmuncher

Posted this in the ESRB leak thread, but we know who has the chainsaw now. Surprised no one was talking about it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I wonder if that's where he might die, or perhaps becomes a more grotesque monster

a character's arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man's leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel.

Could in essence happen all at once

Posted this in the ESRB leak thread, but we know who has the chainsaw now. Surprised no one was talking about it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I wonder if that's where he might die, or perhaps becomes a more grotesque monster

a character's arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man's leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel.

Could in essence happen all at once

Seems like the
second
fight with him in the B-roll, where he starts with a large
axe
. Confirms that the boss fights will have stages to them if that's the case.

Edit:

So, I finally played Lost In Nightmares. It was a blind run, and I wasn't aware of the opinions surrounding it.

Unfortunately, I came away from it unsatisfied in almost every aspect. The door animations in the first section were terrible. The place, despite being the actual home, made no sense in being how it was. Same goes for Spencer owning a copy of
Itchy McTastys
journal. The single enemy type, while a great design and intimidating, became boring quick and is fairly one-dimensional encounter-wise on solo runs. Wish we could have fought the Revenants (as that's what they resemble) as well to make use of that ammo dump the game gives you.

The butlers diary entries were interesting, but didn't have a pay off that it felt like they were building to.

Not a fan of slate wipes, especially when well into whatever it is that is being played.

Nice touches of dialogue between Jill and Chris, but felt like something was lacking there as well.

I suppose it being a DLC piece rather than a full game should be taken into account, but it still just doesn't gel from that approach either.

Top Bottom