• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Jawmuncher

I kinda want them to ditch the revelations name if they are gonna go back and forth on old characters and new.

Kinda start new on a series just for them. Revelations to me is just far too stuck as being a budget affair series. Which I hope isn't their intent on older character stories.

I kinda want them to ditch the revelations name if they are gonna go back and forth on old characters and new.

Kinda start new on a series just for them. Revelations to me is just far too stuck as being a budget affair series. Which I hope isn't their intent on older character stories.

More important (imo) is that the more action oriented Resident Evils should not be budget affairs. I think that hurt Revelations 2 quite a bit. But 7 seems like a smaller budget game too. I guess RE is done being a blockbuster.

Bladenic

More important (imo) is that the more action oriented Resident Evils should not be budget affairs. I think that hurt Revelations 2 quite a bit. But 7 seems like a smaller budget game too. I guess RE is done being a blockbuster.

Maybe they're saving the money for REmake 2.

RSB

Banned
As long as they nail that sweet action RE gameplay I don't care if it looks like a PS2 game, honestly. I was perfectly fine with the production values of Rev2, the only thing that was really lacking was the gameplay IMO, which was too simple when compared to the other action RE (except Rev1, but that had the excuse of being a handheld game originally)

As long as they nail that sweet action RE gameplay I don't care if it looks like a PS2 game, honestly. I was perfectly fine with the production values of Rev2, the only thing that was really lacking was the gameplay IMO, which was too simple when compared to the other action RE (except Rev1, but that had the excuse of being a handheld game originally)

It's less the graphics (although I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the slick production values of 4 and 5) and more the scale. They were clearly pretty constrained by the limits of their budget I think from everything from animations to environments and setpieces. I think they did a very good job with what they had, but I'd like them to have more.

The classic RE games and 7 I wouldn't imagine need the huge budget that the cinematic action games do, so it would be nice if they made Revelations a bigger budget affair now that it seems to be carrying the action oriented RE torch.

Bladenic

I can't wait to see REmake 2 revealed. The real question is, what style of game will it be? Either way, I'm sure the threads are gonna be bloodbaths either way.

The funniest complaint to me is when people utter "REwhatever isn't Resident Evil."

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can't wait to see REmake 2 revealed. The real question is, what style of game will it be? Either way, I'm sure the threads are gonna be bloodbaths either way.

The funniest complaint to me is when people utter "REwhatever isn't Resident Evil."

Resident Evil Assault The Nightmare is not Resident Evil.

latest
latest

But actually, it is.

RSB

Banned
It's less the graphics (although I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the slick production values of 4 and 5) and more the scale. They were clearly pretty constrained by the limits of their budget I think from everything from animations to environments and setpieces. I think they did a very good job with what they had, but I'd like them to have more.

The classic RE games and 7 I wouldn't imagine need the huge budget that the cinematic action games do, so it would be nice if they made Revelations a bigger budget affair now that it seems to be carrying the action oriented RE torch.
When it comes to the animation, I think they could save a lot of time and money by just re-using the bazillion awesome combat animations from RE5 and 6. I also wouldn't mind if they used some classic monsters to pad the enemy variety.

But if they decide (as you suggest) to use a bigger budget for the next Revelations game I won't complain, that's for sure. Although they would probably use a different name then, since (as Jawmuncher said) the Revelations games are now seen as the "budget RE"

Lunafreya

Hmmm to be honest, is Resident Evil 7 truly a lower budget RE? Sure it seems lower budget than RE6, but definitely around RE4-5 levels possibly. I mean they even developed a whole new engine for it, which we haven't truly seen the full capabilities of!

I think we can determine on budget once we see more of real RE7, plus it seems like they are putting budget into the teaser too, so it's kind of big-ish overall for the whole project!

Hmmm to be honest, is Resident Evil 7 truly a lower budget RE? Sure it seems lower budget than RE6, but definitely around RE4-5 levels possibly. I mean they even developed a whole new engine for it, which we haven't truly seen the full capabilities of!

I think we can determine on budget once we see more of real RE7, plus it seems like they are putting budget into the teaser too, so it's kind of big-ish overall for the whole project!

People seem to equate the more intimate, self-contained claustrophobic setting of RE7 with a lower budget for some reason. Even though indoor areas can be just as expensive to make as the big, outdoor city areas like in RE6.

We simply haven't seen enough of the game for people to draw this conclusion yet, especially since what we've seen is just a demo of an unfinished game so far. There's also the fact that RE7 is a VR game that needs to be taken into account - visuals have to be rendered twice for 3D-stereoscopic rendering in VR. If the visuals in RE7 end up being bad, it'll be much less likely to do with budget and more to do with technical limitations.

Picked up REmake today for £6 from the sale. Played bits of the first 3 games on ps1 when I was a kid, never finished them altough I still get pangs of nostalgia for the charm that the controls, pre rendered backgrounds and sounds bring me from those games.

Never played Anything from this franchise since but in ready to delve in. Looking forward to playing REmake tonight!

Dusk Golem

Picked up REmake today for £6 from the sale. Played bits of the first 3 games on ps1 when I was a kid, never finished them altough I still get pangs of nostalgia for the charm that the controls, pre rendered backgrounds and sounds bring me from those games.

Never played Anything from this franchise since but in ready to delve in. Looking forward to playing REmake tonight!

Definitely interested to hear your impressions!

People seem to equate the more intimate, self-contained claustrophobic setting of RE7 with a lower budget for some reason. Even though indoor areas can be just as expensive to make as the big, outdoor city areas like in RE6.

We simply haven't seen enough of the game for people to draw this conclusion yet, especially since what we've seen is just a demo of an unfinished game so far. There's also the fact that RE7 is a VR game that needs to be taken into account - visuals have to be rendered twice for 3D-stereoscopic rendering in VR. If the visuals in RE7 end up being bad, it'll be much less likely to do with budget and more to do with technical limitations.

The way they spoke in the Unity stream, they made it sound like the game has two modes essentially with the VR one optimized specifically for that.

Might be the difference, in effect, a standard experience on high vs a VR at medium/medium-low.

Edit: Can't wait to hear more impressions on my favorite RE.

I thought that Umbrella Corps was unfairly reviewed and received by the press and players so I decided to write this piece to highlight how great this game is, hoping more will give it chance.
Capcom did not pay me for this.
Long read below.

In praise of Umbrella Corps

Multiplayer online shooter Umbrella Corps released a couple of weeks ago to lukewarm reviews and poor reception from players. The main problem facing this spin-off to the beloved Resident Evil franchise is simply that it’s not the Resident Evil (RE) game that many people hoped or wanted.
Sometimes, focusing on what you wished you have had makes you unable to appreciate what you actually have.

And what you have is Umbrella Corps, one of the best online shooters I have played in years.
Let’s be clear about one thing: the RE universe that we love so much is only used here as a backdrop, a special ingredient to add an extra thrill to the game, like facing your opponents in the iconic village of RE 4 or in front of the RE 2 police station.
The real star of Umbrella Corps is not the franchise, it’s the gameplay.
The game is a highly polished and impressive take on online shooters with unique mechanisms and an impressive tactical depth.

It would be tedious to focus on all the design aspects and decisions that make Umbrella Corps great so I will focus instead on some key mechanism that color the entire experience.

First, movement speed.
The speed at which characters move, especially when crawling, has been much derided (it has been now slightly reduced). However, this speed of movement is crucial to the flow of the gameplay and adds a tactical element to the game: should I move fast in order to close in on enemy players or to secure an objective at the risk of exposing myself or should I carefully crawl through the level, peeking through corners at the risk of losing momentum or being shot in the back?
The fact that Umbrella Corps gives you very precise control over your movement or posture, including how fast you open doors or shutters, shows how central it is to the gameplay.
In Umbrella Corps, there are no winning movement strategies: play against a slow team and rushing in will get you killed but taking it slow against an aggressive team will make you vulnerable as well.
In Umbrella Corps, how fast you move becomes a tactical decision unto itself.

Second, the brainer
A lot of reviewers and players complained that the brainer, a melee weapon, was over-powered allowing players to roam the map, killing everything in sight. This is simply not true and the brainer itself showcases all the tactical depth offered by Umbrella Corps. First of all, when playing against a team with good control of the map, rushing with a brainer is the best way to get killed since you will likely get killed before reaching your target.
When rushed by a brainer attacker, you can either: pull out your brainer as well which will make the two brainers clash, cancelling the move. Or you can do a simple melee attack which will trigger a counter, killing the brainer attacker instantly.
Finally, the game also gives you the option to “heat” your brainer, charging it, for an attack that cannot be countered. The problem is that the charging up is long and doing it makes a beeping noise that will reveal your position to nearby players.
This is just an example of all the tactical options offered by just one weapon in the game.

Finally, zombies!
Umbrella Corps cleverly takes advantage of the RE franchise by using it to create a unique and also highly tactical gameplay mechanism.
Thanks to a “zombie jammer”, zombies populating the maps are unaware to your presence.
They stumble and moan and they only nuisance they represent is when they occasionally block your path or you line of sight. But should your jammer be destroyed by a bullet or an explosion, you will become the first item on their “to eat list”.
This occurrence completely changes the flow of battle.
One second, you are a hunter stalking your prey through a crowd of zombies.
The next, you are desperately fighting off a horde of zombies and more concerned about running for your life than finding the enemy team. In Umbrella Corps, there is not greater guilty pleasure than destroying a jammer and watching your opponent retreat before succumbing to the attacks of the horde.

These are just a few examples but Umbrella Corps offer a wealth of tactical options.
Unfortunately, what makes the game great and interesting is precisely what makes it unappealing to a lot of players.
Umbrella Corps is not a game you can pick up and play.
Enjoying it requires a bit of time and investment (took me two hours as an experienced player)
These first two hours are brutal and discouraging: : you are not used to the movement speed, you can get killed in five seconds and suddenly a horde of zombies is coming at you and cut you down.
Most players give up on the game before reaching the skills ceiling that will allow them to enjoy it.

This is a shame because Umbrella Corps is one of the most brilliant and unique online shooters out there and a shining example of Japanese design at its best and most innovative.
I only wish more players would find out and join us in the corps.

EDIT:
The game suffered at launch, mostly on PC, from some issues.
Most of them have been patched and the game has benefited from exemplary post-launch support including new content.

Oh my god Raid mode is amazing. Never really tried it before but it's so fun. Was having trouble with some missions last night so I dabbled in some online co-op and had a blast. Rev2 is quickly turning into one of my favorite games in years.

Not quite as bombastic as RE6 but that's likely a budgetary issue and Rev2 is its own thing anyway.

Mr_Zombie

Raid mode in Rev2 is great, until it become quite repetitive at later stages. There's just too much grinding if you want to level up all skills and weapons (and starting some of the later sages without proper level is a suicide).

However, I really wouldn't mind a separate Raid/Mercenaries game. Seriously, given the popularity of those two mods it's just a success waiting to happen. What is Capcom waiting for?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Rev2 was my GOTY. It's a really generous package with the additional modes and Raid. They struggled with the post-level 100 stuff. The Code Red difficulty is mainly based around insane HP for trash enemies, and you can play for an hour and find nothing but a bunch of level 92 pistols and shitty Daze parts. The challenge->reward setup is busted.

I think I have 150 hours or so playing Raid, and I only have a few level 100 guns to show for it.

I mentioned this earlier, but I think Desperate Escape has some tactics that would work well in Raid.

Speaking of Raid loot, what's everybody's favorite weapon? I have a level 100 Samurai Edge that is just a great pistol (though I'd prefer a Trident tbh). Maybe I'll grab the stats for it in a bit, I've upgraded it past the limits in a few places

Yeah revelations 2 was surprisingly solid. I wrote it off when I first saw it, but it ended up being a lot of fun. A more robust combat system and more wiggle room in the budget could make for a great sequel.

I enjoyed the story a lot too, which is something I haven't since RE4.

Yeah the story is really solid. Just about done ep. 3. I thought I wouldn't enjoy Barry and Natalia's campaign but Barry's dialogue bleeds his RE1 persona so well and it's really unique controlling a child character who can fend for herself and her dialogue is good as well (not the typical damsel in distress trope).

Can't wait to see how this ends. And then more Raid mode.

Bladenic

So this is a long shot, but long ago, I voted during the RE0 Rebecca T-shirt contest. I just now got RE0 alongside the Origins collection. Where do I find the code? Was it emailed? Was it given as you voted? Did you have to vote for every single stage (I know I didn't). If I missed out, oh well. But just wondering.

Mr_Zombie

You should receive and e-mail titled "[ In-game T-Shirt Design Contest] DLC Codes available now". In the e-mail there's a button that sends you to page where you can see your DLC code.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Yeah the story is really solid. Just about done ep. 3. I thought I wouldn't enjoy Barry and Natalia's campaign but Barry's dialogue bleeds his RE1 persona so well and it's really unique controlling a child character who can fend for herself and her dialogue is good as well (not the typical damsel in distress trope).

Can't wait to see how this ends. And then more Raid mode.

Have you heard about the ending(s)? There was a PSA thread about it, back in the day

Dusk Golem

Do we expect a Reveal of REmake 2 this year? I mean, its still the Anniversary year and everything.

I think it may happen, but to be seen. I think the two likely dates to show off REmake 2 would either be Tokyo Game Show, or January 21st as that's the release date of RE2.

Lunafreya

I hope with RE2make and possible 3&CV remakes being a thing, they will eventually cover Umbrella's Fall and make a game out of it.
It's silly that a critical plot piece like that is in some rail-shooter.

I hope with RE2make and possible 3&CV remakes being a thing, they will eventually cover Umbrella's Fall and make a game out of it.
It's silly that a critical plot piece like that is in some rail-shooter.

A rail-shooter that was mostly non-canon, even.

It's bizarre the way they handled that.

Bladenic

Wow, started REmake HD this morning as Jill and just finished. Couldn't stop. Kinda sucks I played throughout the day instead of at night, but oh well. Still a wonderful game.

Is there any way to check if you picked up all the maps? Every room is showing up white yet I didn't get the every nook trophy for some reason, unless it pops after the credits.

Wow, started REmake HD this morning as Jill and just finished. Couldn't stop. Kinda sucks I played throughout the day instead of at night, but oh well. Still a wonderful game.

Is there any way to check if you picked up all the maps? Every room is showing up white yet I didn't get the every nook trophy for some reason, unless it pops after the credits.

Every nook and cranny requires you pick up every single item in the game. The description is misleading.

Bladenic

Every nook and cranny requires you pick up every single item in the game. The description is misleading.

I did though. At least I think so. Even picked up all the empty bottles. Every room on every map is white. But I'm not sure if the actual maps you can pick up count for the white/red room colors. I don't think I missed any.

Dusk Golem

Capcom very obviously at this point has a goal to make a version of every main Resident Evil game that can be ported to future consoles/brought to Steam easily, I am fairly certain a remake of RE3 will be on the cards if the remake of RE2 does well.

After RE2's remake, the only two main RE games without a current on-everything version will be RE3 and Code Veronica (Code Veronica has the HD PS3/360 version, but for some reason they have held off releasing those on anything other than the PS3/360, my guesswork is they want to do maybe a bigger updated version of Code Veronica at some point, since it's full of 3D models, with touch-ups to the models and everything maybe like they did with REmake and Zero HD).

Mr_Zombie

After RE2's remake, the only two main RE games without a current on-everything version will be RE3 and Code Veronica (Code Veronica has the HD PS3/360 version, but for some reason they have held off releasing those on anything other than the PS3/360, my guesswork is they want to do maybe a bigger updated version of Code Veronica at some point, since it's full of 3D models, with touch-ups to the models and everything maybe like they did with REmake and Zero HD).

Give me Code Veronica with DSC models and backgrounds and I would be happy. One of the things the game did good was characters', locations' and, to some extent (excluding Alexia's mutations), monsters' designs.

RSB

Banned
I did though. At least I think so. Even picked up all the empty bottles. Every room on every map is white. But I'm not sure if the actual maps you can pick up count for the white/red room colors. I don't think I missed any.
Did you use the wooden mount? People usually miss that.

Also, did you go back inside the cell to pick up the items? Very easy to miss too.

Edit: If you have a save before the first Tyrant fight (that's the point of no return IIRC) you should be able to backtrack and get whatever you're missing.

Dusk Golem

A new interview still from last E3 about RE7 with Resident Evil 7's producer Masachika Kawata and director Koushi Nakanishi. No real new information, but a few interesting clarifications and expansions on things we knew:

"When PT surfaced we were already into development and we were surprised to see it," Kawata said.

"I'm worried about how my jokes come across but I hear Brits like black humour. So, out of everyone, we were the most relieved when PT didn't come out," he laughed.
(...)
"We were already using a first-person perspective before anyone saw PT, so it wasn't as if we saw that and decided to do the same," Nakanishi said.

"It was already happening, so were surprised and - seeing PT and the reaction, it was a signpost for us that it was a good direction to be going in.

"As for the fact there are corridors and such, well, we had that in Resident Evil 1 in 1996. For us it's about going back to our roots. All of these things were going to be in the game."

Asked if Resident Evil 7 was designed as a console game first and VR second, or the other way around, Kawata explained that it was a bit of both.

"It's a game you can experience on your choice of console and also an immersive experience in VR," he said.

"Looking at what others are doing with VR, if you want to deal with the comfort issue - because some people do get sick - the most extreme solution is to just not have people moving, to be fixed in place. We saw that with our Kitchen demo last year, when you are strapped down and other things go on around you.

"That satisfies the needs of people who need to feel comfortable with VR, but it also limits the game for those who want a full experience. They want to get out into the game going on around them, so we challenged ourselves to make a game that lets them do that."

"One thing which came up but we didn't follow through on - there are some people getting the impression there's more of an occult side to the story, which isn't the case," Nakanishi said.

"We haven't turned Resident Evil into a ghost story. At the beginning we did consider everything, though - and wondered what we could bring in for more of a supernatural dimension. But we didn't end up going down that route."

Resident Evil 7 feels like it will recapture some of the Resident Evil 4 spirit - set out in rural surroundings, the demo's dilapidated house even feels like it could be found in Resi 4's southern Spain. Resi 7 is set in and around a remote community in the southern US, however - which rules out the return of one Resi 4 favourite.

"The Merchant is busy over in Spain, so he is unrelated to the American setting. But we do have other strange things..." Kawata concluded.

Source: Eurogamer

Bladenic

Did you use the wooden mount? People usually miss that.

Also, did you go back inside the cell to pick up the items? Very easy to miss too.

Edit: If you have a save before the first Tyrant fight (that's the point of no return IIRC) you should be able to backtrack and get whatever you're missing.

The cell where Chris was held? No I didn't, that has to be it! Thanks!

Edit: And RE0 finished for the first time ever. Played it years ago but had stopped after the train. Wish the game told me how long it took me, it didn't feel very long. The training facility was the only long area, the rest were much more bite sized.

My take:

+ Gorgeous, obviously. The church was beautiful and creepy.
+ I like Rebecca and Billy.
+ excellent soundtrack.
+ Fun puzzles. I really liked the animal statue one in particular.
+ Marcus turning into the Queen Leech at the end. The transformation was quite gross and disturbing aka perfect
+ Some new enemies looked pretty cool, like the apes and leech zombies.

= the drop system. Reading stuff about the game helped me prepare (like bringing the hookshot) but I can see how it could be annoying. I don't think it's really any better or worse than item boxes, but it's nice to drop something when you need a key item.
= the partner system. Didn't have many issues although I hated when I activated an elevator without my partner in it.

- the locations, while beautiful, all felt very samey, either between each other or inspired by other RE locations (including the factory from RE2 appearing, which was hilarious because when examining the areas it says you don't need to search, like how would Rebecca know??). The train is obviously excluded, and it's certainly the game's crowning achievement location wise and atmosphere wise.
- strong weapons taking 2 item slots. I managed but it was annoying. I'm guessing it was implemented as a sort of balance to dropping and having 2 characters.
- most boss designs. They weren't even cool mutations, just literally super sized animals. The proto Tyrant was awesome though, so was the queen leech.
- this goes without saying, but the story, opera singing villain, and overall mess that is the plot. Don't even get me started on the geography, or how there's a massive explosion that surely would have gotten some attention, or why was Enrico at the factory or why he said the mansion was used by umbrella for research (I guess he may have discovered something from searching but ugh why??). Where did Enrico even go when he left Rebecca??? He said the mansion was ahead but how did he get there??
- Prequels often have this issue but I'm not sure that there is a better example of disconnect between games of a character. Especially since 0 was being made at the same time, you'd think they would have dropped some hints in REmake that Rebecca had already seen a ton of shit. But this is RE, so these two cons don't really affect my overall opinion of the game much.

All in all, I had a great time. It's definitely not REmake, but I still quite enjoyed the romp. I hate rating games because I often struggle with a numerical value but I'd say RE0 is at least a 7.5/8 out of 10 for me.

As it stands, RE2 is probably my favorite game of the pre-4 series, and I think is pretty near-perfect. I would be just okay with a straight remake with upgraded graphics and some added areas or whatever, but having owned it on the PS1, Gamecube, and PS3/PSP/Vita via PSN, and having played through it at least once on all of those platforms, I wouldn't be opposed to a more radical reimagining of the game. I actually think it would be super interesting to see how one of the pre-4 games would be redone in the style of post-4 gameplay.

I realize not a lot of others share my opinion on that, and want it to play in the pre-4 style, which I would be fine with as well. But I don't really care that much as long as it's good, because even if it's not in the original style, I've played that game so many times and enjoyed it each and every time as is, I'm open to something different.

Bladenic

As it stands, RE2 is probably my favorite game of the pre-4 series, and I think is pretty near-perfect. I would be just okay with a straight remake with upgraded graphics and some added areas or whatever, but having owned it on the PS1, Gamecube, and PS3/PSP/Vita via PSN, and having played through it at least once on all of those platforms, I wouldn't be opposed to a more radical reimagining of the game. I actually think it would be super interesting to see how one of the pre-4 games would be redone in the style of post-4 gameplay.

I realize not a lot of others share my opinion on that, and want it to play in the pre-4 style, which I would be fine with as well. But I don't really care that much as long as it's good, because even if it's not in the original style, I've played that game so many times and enjoyed it each and every time as is, I'm open to something different.

Yeah, that's why I can't wait to see what they've done. The game's environments would need to be quite significantly overhauled to accommodate an RE4/5/6 style of gameplay, however. Plus, the biggest question is whether or not the game will be co-op or single player. Will they introduce co-op but implement different things based on who player 1 is playing as? Argh so many questions.

Also, more RE0 weird stuff:

1. Rebecca is almost completely covered in leeches on the train. Later, you find a note that implies a guy was turned into a zombie just from touching a leech. Pretty weird oversight. They could've easily still had Billy save Rebecca without her being almost completely covered by the leeches.

2. And to the above point, the characters actually get attacked quite often but never show any injuries or have a cutscene with Rebecca stitching them up or anything. Rebecca is bitten by an Eliminator and then gets slashed by one at the cable car (there's even blood from the wound in the cutscene). Never mind Billy falling over the cable car railway. I love how Rebecca's all "I have to stay behind and save him" when she has no idea he survived. I mean, yeah this is a video game and the RE series where people survive a jet plane crashing into a volcano, but REmake never had characters getting hurt in cutscenes and better implementation if they did even in gameplay (like Yawn's poison). Even Leon in RE2 gets hurt and shows it (or am I remembering wrong?).

Again, not a big deal, just interesting to note.

Also during the cutscene when Rebecca sees Billy in the water, are those Lurkers in the water?

Mr_Zombie

- strong weapons taking 2 item slots. I managed but it was annoying. I'm guessing it was implemented as a sort of balance to dropping and having 2 characters.

Theoretically, yes. But on the other hand: you have five bosses that you fight solo (the scorpion, the centipede, the bat, first proto-Tyrant, last Queen fight) so it kind of sucks that you are not only limited to 6 inventory spaces, but that more powerful weapons take up 2 out of those 6 spaces. Not to mention, if you step into centipede battle unprepared (e.g. you let Rebecca handle grenade launcher or shotgun), you end up being fucked.

Plus, in the factory near the end of the game, you spent an hour or so alone as Rebecca. Going alone with just 6 inventory slots with shotgun taking up two slots was annoying. (as was bringing all your items back to the factory, ugh).

- most boss designs. They weren't even cool mutations, just literally super sized animals. The proto Tyrant was awesome though, so was the queen leech.

Not only were they boring design-wise, the fights itself were terrible. With Stinger all you had to do was stand in one spot and pea-shoot him when it got close until it finally drops dead. The centipede just randomly walks around the room, not minding you at all (notice that it doesn't even attack you, you get hurt by mere touching it), until you finally damage it enough. The bat flies around in the air, and the series' controls were never designed to fight aerial enemies that can fly way above you; plus grenade launcher was mostly useless, or at least hard to use, in the fight.

The first proto-Tyrant boss fight also annoyed me since the Tyrant got a lot of i-frames (IIRC anytime he wasn't standing he was invincible). During the second fight with the Tyrant and during the first Queen fight you have the AI partner who you have no control over. I died twice in the first Queen fight because of Rebecca getting in the Queen's way and eventually being constantly hit-stunned until she finally died while I could do nothing. :|

2. And to the above point, the characters actually get attacked quite often but never show any injuries or have a cutscene with Rebecca stitching them up or anything. Rebecca is bitten by an Eliminator and then gets slashed by one at the cable car (there's even blood from the wound in the cutscene). Never mind Billy falling over the cable car railway. I love how Rebecca's all "I have to stay behind and save him" when she has no idea he survived. I mean, yeah this is a video game and the RE series where people survive a jet plane crashing into a volcano, but REmake never had characters getting hurt in cutscenes and better implementation if they did even in gameplay (like Yawn's poison). Even Leon in RE2 gets hurt and shows it (or am I remembering wrong?).

Yes, RE0 is probably the only game in the series where characters are canonically (in cut-scenes) hurt by infected monsters and not react to it at all, whether by healing themselves up or showing signs of infection. Every other time you either end up being poisoned (RE1, Yawn), pass out and need someone to patch you up (RE2, Leon and the bullet hole or Ada and the scratch from Birkin), pass out and wait for the antidote (RE3, Jill being hit by Nemesis) or die (CV, if Claire manages to get a fire bitchslap from Alexia). Canonically RE protagonists, Jill in RE3 aside, were never bitten, scratched nor hurt by any of the infected monsters. Rebecca manged to be bitten, scratched and covered in slimy infected goo and still got out the adventure alive.
they should forget about Jake and get her blood to run tests through on instead

Top Bottom