• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Squire

Banned
I assume that was the whole idea of going exclusive in the first place.

EA has a great track record at growing franchises, but a bad one at launching them.

Get Microsoft to do the work up front and then take over from there.

This. It's going to be a repeat of Mass Effect.

Makes sense, Titanfall is likely gonna be a 2 year franchise so we should see Titanfall 2 on PS4 in 2016, pointless to port an old multiplayer game when the sequel is out.

That's the sense I get. The PS2 had a ton of exclusives from 3rd party developers, I guess back then it was different somehow.

Ok, so what exactly is the problem?
Were they paying to keep them exclusive or were developers choosing not to port? That's the difference as I see it.
I'm fine with games being exclusive if the development is being funded by the platform holder or the developer makes a decision not to port.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MS have offered a shitload of money to keep this game exclusive. You originally said Titanfall 1 would come to the PS4 Stu, and MS couldn't do anything about it. They did something about it.

But it wasn't a part of the contact that they could say it couldn't come to other platforms, which is what your original claim was.

Bsigg12

One of the benefits for Respawn in all of this is that MS will push this title. Hard. I mean they are going to market the fuck out of it, I could see them marketing it more than Halo 5. "From the makers of Modern Warfare, comes their new franchise, exclusive to Xbox One on next gen". That advert is going to run and run,

This is what I was thinking caused EA to say yes to this. If Microsoft agrees to market the game and put up x amount of a budget for that, EA suddenly doesn't have to spend money on that.

Do you think Sony paid for many of them? I know of at least one in soul calibur 3.

I don't know but does it really matter at the end of the day? You're still left buying that system to play those games, thus limiting your audience. Granted the PS2 had the largest audience but still. We are seeing this tactic being used on DLC too by both companies.

Gotta laugh at how Respawn focused on creative freedom to avoid what happened to them with Activision and got screwed by EA in a different way. I bet their next contract will also focus on letting them chose the platforms.

They'll lose that creative freedom too eventually

Xater

EA has a great track record at growing franchises, but a bad one at launching them.

It's also minimizing their risk when the next gen install base is still low.

Eusis

People act as if EA is the only publisher that would dare do such a thing..

EA is one of the best publishers bringing fantastic games to this generation each and every year. Sure they do some lame things (online pass; to name one of them I despise and thankfully gone), but don't be foolish to think respawn entertainment isn't getting their cut. This exclusive deal is the best thing that ever happened to them in helping them get their feet off the ground. Vince is playing the PR card, with Sony fans via twitter..

I'm sorry, but I've never seen so many people upset over an exclusive game. It's actually quite sad, good news for xbox fans after the previous couple day's bad news.. PS will be able to enjoy the next iteration. In a year from now nobody will even care.
Half your post is completely abhorrent to me, specifically the EA and "nobody will care in a year" bits.

The biggest issuse with this being exclusive is the WHY, and the fact we had heard it'd be timed initially only for them to apparently strike a deal to make it a full on exclusive. If it were that way initially it'd be disappointing, if they were skipping on PS4 just to take full advantage of the XB1 or whatever that'd also have been alright to me, but to be a timed exclusive to a console that's looking worse and worse, and because of this Microsoft strikes a deal BEHIND THE DEVELOPER'S BACK to go full exclusive? It's strategically sound so I don't think I can blame them fully, but fuck them anyway, and EA doubly so for riding on with this garbage anyway.

Raw64life

Can't blame Microsoft after the avalanche of awful Xbone news. Ice cold of EA to take the loot and not even tell the developer. Would've assumed the deal they made with EA would've prevented EA from doing this kind of thing given what happened last time. Unless Titandip 2014?

Kinyou

Man that's just shitty on MS' part. So because they're first party studios outside of Turn 10 aren't worth much, they go out to prevent games from coming to Ps4? That's just sad. This is exactly the type of reasons I wish MS wasn't around (though of course I understand having only one console isn't a good thing)

At least we now have clear evidence of MS moneyhatting
Is there really that much difference between a company buying talent and having them make exclusive games, and a company who waits and buys exclusivity to those games? The result is the same.

I can't imagine this worked out in Vince's favor at all. Rest assured if he wanted Respawn to be an MS exclusive, he would've gone to MS in the first place and would've probably had a much better contract than whatever dreck EA ended up giving them.

Dude can't seem to catch a break.

bebop242

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been said that Titanfall is an every other year franchise due to how small Respawn is? If that's true, the earliest a Titanfall game will hit the PS4 is 2016

Supposed to be a three year cycle

year 1 Battlefield
year 2 Titanfall
year 3 Battlefront

rinse and repeat.

Yes, sort of like Mass Effect. There could even be a way for EA to extricate themselves from this after a few years like BioWare did with the first Mass Effect for PS3. Not that it matters for a non-story driven affair like a multi-player only shooter.

Gonff

Banned
Except he isn't. Exclusives aren't all created equal, and from the looks of it certain people at Respawn (such as its founder) isn't at all happy about the news.

How do you know developers want their games exclusive?

I'm sure some very passionate Capcom developers are upset that Deep Down is not coming to more platforms.

Just because one guy is vocal about it does not make it a different scenario.

Hindle

Banned
But it wasn't a part of the contact that they could say it couldn't come to other platforms, which is what your original claim was.

My original claim has been from day one Microsoft have more of a say in this then people think. The fact Titanfall 1 is now a permanent exclusive proves that.

FranXico

Is there really that much difference between a company buying talent and having them make exclusive games, and a company who waits and buys exclusivity to those games? The result is the same.

If you see what Microsoft did to talent they hired like Rare, it really isn't the same.

Third party game is exclusive on Xbox One - screw EA, Microsoft paying to screw over PS4 gamers, evil corporations.

Third party game is exclusive on PS4 - lots of bragging, no mention of the above.

Come on guys, both platforms will have exclusives from third parties. That's how this industry works. It sucks that not everyone gets to enjoy all the games, but it is what it is.

Isn't the difference that Sony invests in and publishes the exclusives, making the devs for those games essentially second party? Like MS with Gears of War and the first Mass Effect.

B.O.O.M

he doesn't sound too happy and lol at people saying CBOAT got it wrong....Even Vince didn't know! This is a new turn of events

Either way as mentioned above the game might benefit from this due MS marketing it like crazy.

Tsundere

Banned
4 days ago. Looks like he already knew.
kw3biOQ.png

Doesn't seem happy about it either, I'm sure Respawn isn't very happy with EA right now.

The_Holy_Puck

Neo Member
Half your post is completely abhorrent to me, specifically the EA and "nobody will care in a year" bits.

The biggest issuse with this being exclusive is the WHY, and the fact we had heard it'd be timed initially only for them to apparently strike a deal to make it a full on exclusive. If it were that way initially it'd be disappointing, if they were skipping on PS4 just to take full advantage of the XB1 or whatever that'd also have been alright to me, but to be a timed exclusive to a console that's looking worse and worse, and because of this Microsoft strikes a deal BEHIND THE DEVELOPER'S BACK to go full exclusive? It's strategically sound so I don't think I can blame them fully, but fuck them anyway, and EA doubly so for riding on with this garbage anyway.

Because of Titanfall 2 being out, and becoming multi-platform.

Top Bottom