• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review with Forrest MacNeil - Season 3 |OT| These pancakes couldn't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, the fact that this thread hasn't even crossed 50 replies saddens me. Hopefully it still gets renewed (I mean, if Nathan For You did...) The reveal of the third review in episode 3 may be the hardest I've laughed at anything so far in 2014.

Yeah. I haven't seen this week's episode yet but, god damn. What a tremendous show.

Between this, Broad City, and Portlandia, we are in a bold new age of television comedy.

B.K.

That episode was a bit weak, but it will be hard to top last week's episode.

I'm starting to wonder if Forrest really does have a TV show. I think he's just having a mental breakdown. The show doesn't really make sense, if he really does have a TV show. If he really did have a show, there's no reason his wife would have divorced him. Anyone with half a brain would realize it was for his show. No one besides Forrest and his staff ever acknowledges his show, even when he has staff members or the camera crew with him. It's all in his head.

beat

If he really did have a show, there's no reason his wife would have divorced him.
I've seen interviews with Daly that say that aspect will be explained near the end of season one. http://www.avclub.com/article/andy-daly-found-his-perfect-tv-show-then-had-wait--201855?

AVC: How much does she know about what he does for a living? Is she aware of the premise for his show? At a certain point, she could be like, "This must be something stupid you're doing for the show," and let it go. Did you think about her character like that?

AD: Oh yeah, absolutely. It was something that in various different drafts of various different scripts we went to pains to explain, and at some point said, "You know, it's not fun to hear a [Laughs.] big, long explanation about all this. Why don't we allow it to be this serious and allow this to play out?" But we have it all figured out and, in the final episode of the season, some of that is addressed a little more directly. But just to let you know, the logic that we have for it is that she knows, obviously, that he is the focal point of a television show, but he, for scientific purposes--so that none of these reviews are compromised in any way at all--has not told her. Not only does he not tell her what he is reviewing, from review to review, but he has not told her that this is going to be a show in which he is reviewing life experiences. She feels that it's a documentary about the life of a reviewer. So their family life is being captured by cameras, but she has no idea that any of this is for the show.

That said, I did think it was a little odd that he felt worried it might be illegal to give someone the finger while driving, but in the first episode he stole jewellery, cars, a dog etc in the first episode and bought a ton of coke too.

JDSN

Banned
Holy shit at the aftermath of Road Rage, I love the ability that this show has to go to this really dark places and return without losing humor.

Raxus

It's a shame this isn't more popular on GAF. It is easily the best new comedy in a long long time to grace the airwaves.

B.K.

Now to watch Review with Myles Barlow while waiting for this one to come back, if it does. I wonder if it got as dark as Review with Forrest MacNeil got.

Vert boil

sad9lpf6.gif

Mein leben. ;(((

Forrest: Knocking over lamp, Handgun, Dual pistols, Machine gun, Cheers, And one more thing

Lijik

Forrest quitting the coffee shop was probably one of the most depressing moments on the show for me.

B.K.

Forrest quitting the coffee shop was probably one of the most depressing moments on the show for me.

I was just waiting for that poor old man to drop dead of a stroke or heart attack while Forrest was giving his speech.

JDSN

Banned
Forrest punching Grant is probably one of the most cathartic moments of tv in the last few years, the series always placed him as a background manipulator but he got so comfortable with his control over Forrest that he went too far.

saunderez

Now to watch Review with Myles Barlow while waiting for this one to come back, if it does. I wonder if it got as dark as Review with Forrest MacNeil got.

I had NFI this even existed. It's exactly the type of thing I would've watched too, what the hell was I doing between 2008 and 2010....

saunderez

Just watched a few eps of Review with Myles Barlow and it's really good. Myles goes completely balls out, even more so than Forrest, which results in him getting beat up in pretty much every episode and generally hating every review by the end. I particularly liked the review of addiction where Myles proceeds to get addicted to everything known to man. Great stuff, anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely check it out.

Australia catching up with Scandinavia when it comes to US television remakes, I see. Enjoyed the first episode.

It's way darker, or at least it gets that way, but this version isn't on its second season yet, so the comparison is a bit unfair.

saunderez

It's way darker, or at least it gets that way, but this version isn't on its second season yet, so the comparison is a bit unfair.

Yeah Myles doesn't seem to have any reservations about doing what he's been asked to review, even though its pretty obvious from the onset they're all going to end really badly. Forrest knows he's doing something that is going to end badly, but reluctantly does it anyway.

JDSN

Banned
So Grant is this year's cruelest villain? Even Billy Bob Thornton and Mads Mikkelsen are not getting close the depths of dickery of that guy.

Lijik

So Grant is this year's cruelest villain? Even Billy Bob Thornton and Mads Mikkelsen are not getting close the depths of dickery of that guy.

I read an AV Club comment with a similar sentiment and I gotta agree. In a season that includes Fargo and Hannibal, James Urbaniak manages to reign over every other show as the devil in human form

JDSN

Banned
I read an AV Club comment with a similar sentiment and I gotta agree. In a season that includes Fargo and Hannibal, James Urbaniak manages to reign over every other show as the devil in human form

He is practically an unseen presence during the season but on a second run you can see a few glimpses of him, the worse one is him not flinching while the studio was breached and A.J and Forrest got shat on during the Revenge review, his reaction almost seemed as if he played some part on easing the guy in. In many ways the editing of the show makes it seem like Forrest is responsible for creating the format and Grant is just repeating his rhetoric back at him as if he is not responsible and is giving him a choice but you have to wonder if all this is Forrest's idea in the first place.

Adding to that, A.J ominous farewell makes it seem more like a hellish cult than a dude who gets too much into things.

Anyway top 5 reviews:

5. Space
4. Revenge.
3.Orgy.
2. There all is aching (Bubble baths)
1. Thievery.

Special mention to: 30 pancakes.

Beepos

This show is amazing and I was a big fan of the Aussie original.

edit - holy shit the aussie version gets so funny and dark - here's hoping s2 for Daly gets as bleak :D

B.K.

The show is actually getting a second season. Andy Daly is on @midnight tonight and Chris Hardwick introduced him and said that season two of Review is coming next year.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just started watching this, what a fantastic concept for sketch comedy. Then I watched some of the Australian original and I feel like it's even better, because it actually feels like a genuine news show. The new one is hilarious, but missing that rawness.

The orgy episode was so good. I wonder if they'll ever top the cult episode from the original show, that was incredible.

trifelife

Then their professional relationship would be a blowfessional fellationship.

This business lunch just became a jizzness munch.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. Looking forward to S2!

I dunno... I only watched the first 2 ep's but I am a massive fan of the original and it felt weird to me. I guess I should get around to watching the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom