• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review with Forrest MacNeil - Season 3 |OT| These pancakes couldn't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloane

Banned
First episode was great, second one not so much. Mile High Club was alright but "Curing Homosexuality" felt like a missed opportunity in many ways. Just having it end by him misunderstanding that kid was pretty lame, too. Falsely Accused and Little Person sound promising though!

JDSN

Banned
I love how Forrest was so offended at his dad thinking he was an arsonist and the asshole ended up burning the house down.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't wait to see what ultimately prompts Forrest to use one of his vetoes. It's either going to be something utterly benign for weirdly trivial reason, or something horrific, at which point the replacement review will be even worse.

FoneBone

I can't wait to see what ultimately prompts Forrest to use one of his vetoes. It's either going to be something utterly benign for weirdly trivial reason, or something horrific, at which point the replacement review will be even worse.

It is such a good gun, in the Chekhov sense.

elfinke

"I'm gonna kill you, with my dick!" from S1 had me laughing so hard for so long. I adore this show so much, maybe even more than the Aussie original.

Over the moon a little bit to hear of a S2!

barik

Perfect Body was on another level. Really wondering how far they can take this concept, is Forrest going to die at the end? His dad getting killed seems inevitable already.

Dan

Forrest's dad: "Just like model airplane club?"
Forrest: "Yeah..."

I love how slyly James Urbaniak's producer manipulates Forrest.

AniHawk

i think the veto booth will do one of three things:

1. forrest never uses it despite some truly awful things happening
2. forrest uses it on something he personally really doesn't like, but most people would be okay with
3. forrest uses it on something that sounds dangerous, which results in a replacement review being something that doesn't sound dangerous, but winds up being what the first review would have been anyway

“Don’t shoot the orange hulk! He’s a good boy!”

I always assume they're going in a dark direction, but the way they pulled these two reviews together was something else. Hilarious and appalling. The collateral damage from his show is insane.

I don't think this was posted a few weeks ago:

- Sean Collins for The Observer: ‘The Walter White of Comedy’: James Urbaniak on ‘Review’ and Rise of Funny Antiheroes
At first glance, Review appears to be comedy in which someone makes a major production of doing basic things in a very stiff, social-anthropology, insider-playing-at-outsider way — Sasha Baron Cohen in khakis. This is indeed the basic approach. But the show’s genius is that instead of treating each review as a separate, self-contained event, mined for jokes then never referred to again, there’s continuity between all of them. The magical comedy reset button you’d expect them to hit after Forrest, say, gets addicted to cocaine, overdoses, and goes to rehab, never gets hit. The experiences build one on top of another.

That’s the angle that stands out to actor James Urbaniak, who plays Forrest’s amoral producer/enabler Grant. “There’s an element of it being a satire of reality TV,” he says. “In reality TV, you make decisions that have an emotional effect on people but are restricted by the parameters of the game or the competition. [Review] is breaking down those parameters, so he’s making very big decisions, like getting divorced, that affect his whole life.”

“Affect” is an understatement. Even though the only time he acknowledges it before the first season finale is in one brief fit of self-pity while eating an enormous stack of pancakes (don’t ask), Review shows Forrest slowly but surely destroying his life and the lives of everyone around him. His marriage ends. Multiple people get killed. All under the rubric of this preposterous high-concept mockumentary show.

In other words, Review is a satire not just of reality shows, but of New Golden Age of Television antihero dramas, hiding in plain sight. It takes the basic “man ruins all he cares about in the name of something that makes him nominally freer and more powerful” structure of the genre and plays it for deliberate laughs. Instead of a meth empire or a mafia family or a double life, he commits his bad acts in the name of the television show that chronicles them. He’s Walter White, but without the sense that there’s anything tragic about him — he’s just an oblivious faux-smart buffoon. It’s a satire of the middle-class middle-aged white-male entitlement and privilege that all the big dramas treat as the stuff of life.
More via the link.

elfinke

I don't think this was posted a few weeks ago:

- Sean Collins for The Observer: ‘The Walter White of Comedy’: James Urbaniak on ‘Review’ and Rise of Funny AntiheroesMore via the link.

Like most things Review, I was laughing all the way through that, it was great, thanks. Also, this is why it is among the very best things on TV:

Forrest doesn't teach us shit. No hearts are warmed, no lessons learned, no sins redeemed, no tragic arcs completed.

It's a beautiful counter to the many other comedies I enjoy.

- The New Yorker on Review
But, honestly, I do find the show tragic. And what may speak to me most directly is “Review” ’s dank take on my own profession, criticism itself. Week after week, “Review” delights in poking at a specific brand of professional privilege: the notion that anyone can be an objective judge of anything. Forrest keeps wrestling with massive, destabilizing topics—like sex or rage—but, in the end, he finds himself struggling to reduce them into a single, manageable number, like so many bouillon cubes. He’s stuck in a Hell of Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down choices and March Madness brackets. He’s also happens be living my worst nightmare, the one that comes around every December, when the Top Ten Lists descend like hissing snakes.

And yet he can’t stop: Forrest may be egged on by his sinister producer, played by James Urbaniak (in a devilish relationship that has a faint “Bedazzled” quality to it), but he’s also motivated by a self-destructive impulse to judge everything he sees, cloaked as professionalism. In fact, Forrest actually quit “Review” at the end of the first season—but in the second season, he’s back, with a supposed loophole: he is allowed to “veto” two reviews. He can’t seem to use this power. Challenged to start a “bare-knuckle brawl,” Forrest picks a fight with a guy at an A.T.M. Instead of raising his fists, the guy pulls out a gun and shoots Forrest in the gut. Forrest spends weeks in a coma. He goes through gruelling months of rehabilitation, helped along by a devoted nurse, played by Allison Tolman. The two fall in love. You’d think this would be a happy ending, except that Forrest’s next assignment is “What does it feel like to blackmail someone?”—and he can’t help himself. He blackmails his girlfriend.

Probably for the best that they scaled things back a bit this week with a little more low-key episode. The google discussion at the beginning was my favorite bit. I wonder where they're going with his dad being alone in the haunted house. Like the veto booth, they've just left it hanging and we'll see if it's relevant later.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Look upon my works and despair!
RKoJMbx.jpg

Season 2 not being on Hulu is killing me. I check everyday to see if the first episode has been aded.

Gonna have to rethink my CC watching strategy, especially with Nathan For You season 3 starting soon.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Season 2 not being on Hulu is killing me. I check everyday to see if the first episode has been aded.

Gonna have to rethink my CC watching strategy, especially with Nathan For You season 3 starting soon.
You can at least watch the first episode for free on Comedy Central's website; none of that "sign in with your cable provider" bullshit required.

But yeah, I'm surprised that this season isn't on Hulu. I just bought the season through Amazon, fuck it.

Dan

Because of course Forrest could turn the simplest suggestion into an epic disaster. That horrible sunburn he had at the end except for where he'd had his beard, yikes. Also, that was a very clever way to progress time...

The preview for next week looks suitably tragic/hilarious.

Mariolee

Saw a clip from this show and thought it was kinda funny but knowing there's continuity makes this a million times intesting. Will watch.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really like this show, but I started watching the original Australian version and I think I like it much better, just because the vibe is so much more realistic. The reviewer really sells it like he's an investigative reporter and its fucking brilliant. Really funny to see what happens to the show when it becomes Americanized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom