• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review with Forrest MacNeil - Season 3 |OT| These pancakes couldn't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Mixed on the news, Im glad Daly is ending it on his terms but I would have preferred a full season of it.

Still a one night movie-length Review event like the article speculates sounds kind of fun

B.K.

I wish it had gotten a full season, but a few episodes are better than no ending at all. The premise of Review isn't really something that can go on forever. A full three seasons would have been the perfect length for it.

I'm perfectly fine with this.
3 seasons is perfect for this show plus Andy Daly feels to me like a rising star. I'm excited to see what he does nexf.

big ander

I'm perfectly fine with this.
3 seasons is perfect for this show plus Andy Daly feels to me like a rising star. I'm excited to see what he does nexf.

I'm fine with it ending as well, and I do hope Daly gets a network something as is rumored, but it is weird tot hink of him as a rising star--guy's in his 50s! it's the industry's fault for not realizing how hilarious he was earlier

Andy Daly cast in ABC comedy pilot.

Given the low ratings for Review, I think this is about as best as we could have expected. Comedy Central wasn't going to renew it for a full season, and we'll get a little bit more of the show and some closure. Good to see Daly get more recognition and hopefully a good gig in the future. He's hilarious.

I figured S3 would be the end and trust that it will be a length that provides the right amount of finality to the proceedings.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Here's hoping Chunk & Bean is solid enough, for the sake of Andy Daly and Anna Gunn.

- Via Warming Glow, an interview with Andy Daly in The Believer
BLVR: How did you come to the decision to return to Review for a limited, final run?

AD: Comedy Central came to us with the idea of wrapping up the story of Forrest MacNeil in a third and final season, and we embraced the idea. I like it when shows end intentionally, and Review, especially, has such a long form narrative that it feels like you need to give it a thoughtfully constructed finale. I don’t want to give anything away, but I’d say our basic aspiration is for Review to feel like a complete library that can be binged for a long time to come.

BLVR: You’re about to end a show that had your fingerprints all over it, as its creator, star, and one of its writers. From what I could tell, it sounds like your sole responsibility on Chunk & Bean will be as an actor. How do you feel about the transition?

AD: I really enjoy just being an actor. It’s fun to be surprised by someone else’s writing and to collaborate in creating a character and to leave all the hard decision-making to some other room full of suckers! And in this case, the script is really funny so I know I’m in good hands. That said, I probably have the most fun on projects where there’s some room to improvise, too. It’s hard for me to shut off my writer brain completely. The guys who created Chunk & Bean have been watching me improvise at the UCB for years, and I think they’ll be open to my input and impulses and tendency to, you know, not always say things exactly as they’re written.

It is also true that I loved being one of the creative driving forces behind Review, and my podcast too. It’s so satisfying to be able to say “I made that. I made so many of the decisions that made that what it is. I see myself all over this piece of work.” So, stressful as that can be, I will definitely do that again. I have a couple of ideas for shows that I would love to bring to fruition in some way at some point.

BLVR: Why did you choose Chunk & Bean as your next big project?

AD: At the start of this year, with Review headed for a wrap-up, I realized I would be available to be cast in a network pilot for the first time in five years and the idea of that excited me. To me, a guy with a family, there’s a huge appeal to the stability of a regular gig making 22 episodes a year in the city where I live. That would be sweet! Obviously, that outcome is far from guaranteed when you make a network pilot, but it could happen. So I asked my agents to send me all the scripts that were out there, and I got about three scripts into the pile when I saw a character described with the words “think Andy Daly.” That was so thrilling to me, and then I read on and really laughed at the script, too. So I called my agent and was like, “Um, I think I have a pretty good shot at getting cast in this really funny show.” And my hunch was right! The character was written with me in mind by guys who have been watching me perform for many years, so it feels completely right for me.

I think the show is very smart and subversive in a sly way. I don’t know yet how the creators want to describe it, but it kind of gives me a little bit of a Freaks and Geeksy vibe, which is a very good vibe to give in my opinion. So I’m psyched to get to work on it, and I’m amazed and terrified that I get to play Anna Gunn’s husband. She is truly amazing. I hope I can keep up!

BLVR: I recently spoke to Mike Schur about how the ratings system isn’t tenable anymore because the media landscape and the way people view TV has changed so dramatically.

AD: I think that’s true, and I would go even further than that. I think Comedy Central and probably all channels are on their way toward being apps accessible on whatever the Roku of the future is. The channel’s whole library will be there, and the show is their property in perpetuity. Any time that they want to try to capitalize on that, they can. So the more episodes you’ve made, the more you have for people to discover and rediscover later down the line. I think the calculus for networks now is to look at shows and say, is this something somebody might want to watch ten years from now? Is it binge-worthy, and it is worthy of having associated with our network for decades to come? I think Review is that.
Much more via the link.

lol at the hunter s. thompson story

I love that story so much more after I realized that Andy draws from that story in Review, in the addiction review in the first episode. When Forrest thinks he's having a heart attack, his son starts to attend to him and Forrest freaks out on him. His exact words: "This kid is a cop! This kid is a cooooooop!"

big ander

I love that story so much more after I realized that Andy draws from that story in Review, in the addiction review in the first episode. When Forrest thinks he's having a heart attack, his son starts to attend to him and Forrest freaks out on him. His exact words: "This kid is a cop! This kid is a cooooooop!"

Hah! I'd completely forgotten that

- Comedy Central’s ‘Review’ Sets Return For Third & Final Season
Review is returning and coming to a close after its upcoming third season. Comedy Central has slotted Thursday, March 16, 10 p.m. for the premiere of the third and final season of the series that stars Andy Daly as critic Forrest MacNeil. Season 2 wrapped on October 1, 2015.

In Review, Forrest does not examine boring things like films, food or art. Instead, he reviews the most intense experiences of life itself – by living them. From the dangers of being buried alive to the thrills of joining the mile high club, Forrest fully commits to showing us what life feels like – sometimes at the expense of his safety, his family and humanity in general.

In the Season 3 premiere,
Forrest returns recharged and enthusiastic after surviving a potentially fatal bridge fall with his producer Grant.

Discovered this show last year and I was surprised how horribly wonderful it is. I don't think any piece of television has made me laugh as much as the finale of "Cult / Perfect Body." So excited the 3rd season is coming soon and the show is getting a proper ending.

B.K.

I wonder how many episodes it's going to end up having in the last season. I hope they do more than the three or four they talked about doing when the show was renewed.

Vert boil

daly2yyso6.gif

Also, here's the official update from Comedy Central:
cpIusIB.jpg

UPDATE: FORREST AND GRANT HAVE BEEN FOUND ALIVE

Review will return to find out once and for all if life is any good.

As regular viewers are no doubt painfully aware, the most recent season of Review came to an abrupt and tragic halt after our host Forrest MacNeil and producer Grant Grunderschmidt fell off a bridge into the rapids below.

We are elated to report that both Forrest and Grant have been located after surviving in the wilderness for a seemingly interminable amount of time. It’s been a harrowing experience for us all, but especially for the two of them, who subsisted largely on a diet of twigs, berries and animal droppings.

Both men have been understandably tight-lipped about the specifics of the ordeal. Since it was not fan-submitted, Forrest has refused to rate “living badly injured in the woods with no hope of rescue,” but he estimated that it would probably receive fewer than three stars. Grant, meanwhile, says he is “very optimistic about where Forrest’s adventure will take him next” and is “proud to guide our host through his next exploration of the human experience.”

What’s truly important here is that both men have assured us that Review (and the truly vital role the show performs) will continue. America – nay, humanity – depends on it.

Bread

Banned
Since it was not fan-submitted, Forrest has refused to rate “living badly injured in the woods with no hope of rescue,” but he estimated that it would probably receive fewer than three stars.
lol

That's what was rumored when the final season was announced. As far as I know, they haven't said exactly how many episodes there are going to be. All we know is it's going to be a shorter season than normal.
Someone on Reddit linked the first three episode titles, and part of Ep3 title is "Last Review", so it seems like it's only three total.

B.K.

I had almost forgotten that the first episode airs this Thursday. I wish they would have just shown all the episodes on one night as an event, since there are only three episodes.

Catvoca

Banned
I had almost forgotten that the first episode airs this Thursday. I wish they would have just shown all the episodes on one night as an event, since there are only three episodes.

I think I'll wait and watch all 3 at once. It'll give me time to rewatch the whole show (again) anyway.

HotHamBoy

Review is one of the greatest comedies in years, full stop.

Shame it didn't get a full 3rd season but I'm glad it didn't get run into the ground.

This show is amazing and I love Andy Daly. I'm bummed it's ending but I'm happy it even happened at all. I hope they release the whole series on some physical medium so I can support it that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom