• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

wbEMX

Sooo.. I own the standard PC version of RotTR since launch. Do I have to buy the bonuses that come with the anniversary release seperately or does every owner get it automatically?

Hell, one of the pictures appears to be Source Filmmaker using the various Lara Croft models, so Square/Crystal is totally cool with people ripping their models?

It's actually made with a tool called XNALara (or XPS Posing Studio) and rendered with an external 3D program. Crystal is completely cool with their models being ripped as far as I know, considering that tool was made in 2009 for Tomb Raider Underworld and they never said anything about it (even going as far as promoting these artworks, as you see here).
I think it's really nice they allow this as I've seen some really great pictures made with that program.

The artbook edition is probably like this to avoid stealing the spotlight to the actual 20th Anniversary book out this month, which will also include stuff from the original games along with artworks made by fans :)

How do you equip the classic skins?

If you finish the game you'll be able to equip them at any campfire.

Anyone want to play some co-op Endurance? The matchmaking is broken for me and I would love to give it a go with a fellow gaffer. My PSN is the same as my username.

Jb

For those who bought a physical copy is the DLC pre-installed or is it a bunch of codes on cards inside the box?

I searched the thread but couldn't find any info about this.

JP

I've not played this yet but is it possible to tun off that nonsensical detective vision thing in the game that highlights puzzles and stuff? If it is possible to disable it, is the game designed in such a way that you need it to be switched on for your first play through?

For those who bought a physical copy is the DLC pre-installed or is it a bunch of codes on cards inside the box?

Everything is already pre installed, the only code in the box is to register the game to your Square Enix account.

I've not played this yet but is it possible to tun off that nonsensical detective vision thing in the game that highlights puzzles and stuff? If it is possible to disable it, is the game designed in such a way that you need it to be switched on for your first play through?

It's set to R3 so you can avoid using it if you don't want to, I haven't really checked if there's an option to completely disable it though. There are also some upgrades which automatically highlight stuff like traps, so you could avoid to buy any of those.

Coxy100

Banned

just for future info - it's easy to find out stuff like this by watching an unboxing on youtube. (you'll see the codes if there are any)

JP

It's set to R3 so you can avoid using it if you don't want to, I haven't really checked if there's an option to completely disable it though. There are also some upgrades which automatically highlight stuff like traps, so you could avoid to buy any of those.
You can either disable it or not use it.
Thanks.

Is the design of the levels such that you need to have it available the first time that you play through the game or are the levels laid out in such a way that you know what you're doing without using this as a giant arrow to point at things?

I'm really not a fan of stuff like this.

Arklite

Is the design of the levels such that you need to have it available the first time that you play through the game or are the levels laid out in such a way that you know what you're doing without using this as a giant arrow to point at things?

You don't need the vision mode at all, the game isn't dependant on it. I've finished and never used it once. There's an option to completely disable it too.

JP

You don't need the vision mode at all, the game isn't dependant on it. I've finished and never used it once. There's an option to completely disable it too.
Thank you for that, that's really what I was wanting to hear. :)

It's something that I absolutely hate in games is when the level design requires them to use something like this to signpost things doors, switches, routes, etc due to the level design not being adequate enough to do it without a giant arrow pointing out these things.

Although it may not be a "thing" for most people it is something that I've really grown to hate the arbitrary use of something like this. I knew that it was optional here but I'm so pleased that the game design doesn't mean that it's needed to fill in any shortcomings in the level design.

JayB1920

Yes. I would recommend disabling it. Even if you don't use it some items and traps will still automatically glow once certain skills are unlocked in side tombs. Disabling survival instincts glow in the options is the only way to prevent it. Honestly you will never need it as its easy enough to figure out where to go and what items you will be able to interact with/collect.

Then why does my Asian version have a plastic case and look fantastic?

Pics?

Taiwan version here is Chinese voice/menus only, which is absolutely absurd considering the Xbox One version had multiple language packs with the ability to switch between them. Even local people are complaining on Taiwan's official PS Facebook page about it because they want the original voice acting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have to say I'm loving this game so far.
The Tomb in the Russian installation.....Fantastic, reminded me of The Tomb of Tihocan from TR1.

JayB1920

I have to say I'm loving this game so far.
The Tomb in the Russian installation.....Fantastic, reminded me of The Tomb of Tihocan from TR1.

Yes that was a fantastic tomb. Unfortunately the rest fail to live up to that one for the most part. There are a few more pretty good ones though including on the main story path.

Whaaaaat!!

Why we didn't get the two versions in the west and ME in our retailer stores only the artbook version is here and everywhere:/

I want the regular version so badly... but so scared to order this up and they send the artbook version by mistake :(

Just started it. The lag on the camera is real. Graphically nice so far (not quite U4 however) but don't like Lara's voice and groans nor the rest of the voice acting. In fact the lip sync is completely out. But seems cool from the opening. Nice set piece on the mountain though nothing that's not been done many a time before.

Yeah sure of course why not.... let this game to be THE ONLY ONE that doesn't match and fit my huge game collection that took me long and hard years to build.

If it's not a big deal to you.... it is a big deal to others for their own reasons... not everyone have to match the interests and cares.

again...... people need to understand that not everyone else share the same cares and interest as them.. people ARE different.

Adding games to our gaming collection IS A HUGE DEAL to us collectors specially those who like perfection and have OCD which in my case it's true.... so it's not that easy and simple.

I really hope we see a regular version in few months.

I jusr checked play asia... they are all the same.

Considering I'm a collector, you certainly don't speak for all of us, especially when it comes to how particular one is about every single case matching 100%.

If you have OCD, that's a different issue.

Considering I'm a collector, you certainly don't speak for all of us, especially when it comes to how particular one is about every single case matching 100%.

If you have OCD, that's a different issue.
Oh well then pardon me for you not minding the cases to match in your collection.... I'm speaking for us who actually do mind.

Now do I need to edit my previous post because I offended you or is that ok now after explaining my post to you ?

Or even better should I write a letter of apology for all the collecters community to explain that some of us mind the cases not matching while others don't and I meant in my previous post those who do mind like myself ?

Drahcir

I just don't like how the case makes it so difficult to remove the damn disc without bending it. The release button does shit. And there are finger smudges on my disc too. I hate that. :(

Grisby

Curious to see read the impressions in here. Some really nice moments in the game, and getting the (weapon spoiler)
shotgun
, is one of my favorite moments of last year.

Oh well then pardon me for you not minding the cases to match in your collection.... I'm speaking for us who actually do mind.

Now do I need to edit my previous post because I offended you or is that ok now after explaining my post to you ?

Or even better should I write a letter of apology for all the collecters community to explain that some of us mind the cases not matching while others don't and I meant in my previous post those who do mind like myself ?

A letter would be fine. : )

Calm down holy cow

Bladenic

Yes that was a fantastic tomb. Unfortunately the rest fail to live up to that one for the most part. There are a few more pretty good ones though including on the main story path.

Well that's disappointing to read.

Just
escaped the prison.
Dis game gud yo

The only issues I've had with aiming has been any situation where an enemy or animal gets up close to attack. It feels like I can't aim fast enough to keep up with them. Guess that's more a deadzone thing than lag, since I haven't had any issue with the rest of the movement.

Good game, though. It's not flooring me or anything, it just feels like Tomb Raider 2013, but expanded, refined, and maybe with a dash of pacing issues. And honestly, that's fine by me.

Oh and holy shit, the tombs. After 2013's incredibly so-so tombs (the only good one I can recall whatsoever was the one with the buoy, and I literally played that game end to end last week), these are a lot of fun (and some of them visually spectacular).

Get over it.

Wanderer5

So guess I didn't get the cards for the classic skins, even through I have access to them at the campsites. I did get the 20 years celebration pack in the marketplace gift section, but all it gave me was credits.:/ This is on PC, but seems like it is a issue on all three versions.

So guess I didn't get the cards for the classic skins, even through I have access to them at the campsites. I did get the 20 years celebration pack in the marketplace gift section, but all it gave me was credits.:/ This is on PC, but seems like it is a issue on all three versions.

Oh good, I was starting to think my PS4 copy was bugged. A workaround I found is equipping the classic outfit you want to use at a campfire, quitting the game and then replaying a chapter via the Chapter Replay mode. I don't think it'll work with time trials/other DLC modes though :/

Wanderer5

Oh good, I was starting to think my PS4 copy was bugged. A workaround I found is equipping the classic outfit you want to use at a campfire, quitting the game and then replaying a chapter via the Chapter Replay mode. I don't think it'll work with time trials/other DLC modes though :/

Doesn't seem to work for me.

Doesn't seem to work for me.

Maybe it only works in Chapter Replay Elite? That's what I selected and it worked, I managed to replay the Syria chapter with the Angel of Darkness skin.

5hIDu9g.png

oTIYGJa.png

wSjARw1.png

It's still not ideal since I assume the cards should be there for any mode, so it's weird that they're completely missing. I really hope they'll patch them in.

JP

Jesus, I really underestimated the issues that people were having with the controls. I thought maybe people were exaggerating the issues but I'm really finding it difficult to ignore it when I'm playing. I think there was a sensitivity setting in the options, I'll have a play around with that after to see if it improves things.

Did the lag/dead zone issue ever get sorted in the original release last year? Have they commented on the issues with the newer versions yet?

Wanderer5

Maybe it only works in Chapter Replay Elite? That's what I selected and it worked, I managed to replay the Syria chapter with the Angel of Darkness skin.

It's still not ideal since I assume the cards should be there for any mode, so it's weird that they're completely missing. I really hope they'll patch them in.

Yep looks like it works for Elite only.

Sealtest

Has anyone figured out how to redeem the scavenger hunt stuff on the website using a picture of our purchase order? I can only find a place to redeem the pick-up code.

Mesharey

I feel like playing the DLC, I had Baba Yaga, will probably get the manor and the stealth one, is the survivor DLC worth it?

Eblo

A couple hours into it, and I enjoy how the gameplay has evolved into a more versatile form of what the previous game offered. But man, the story isn't that good at all. The last game's story was cliche, sure, but it was interesting and not a snoozefest. I can't say the same for Rise. It's like they took the same villain archetype but made him more brutish and uninteresting.

I also noticed that one Soviet base is nearly identical in design to one from the first game. That has to be intentional, right? Like the bases were mass-designed by the Soviets in history, not that Crystal Dynamics just copy and pasted the level design. I hope.

Aim and press R1 instead of R2.

Thanks, don't know how I didn't see those button prompts.

bitoriginal

I must be living in blissful ignorance because I don't notice this input lag thing at all. Loving the game and having a blast with it. The story is definitely a bit hammy but I'm kinda enjoying the fact that the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

Top Bottom