• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

i just wish we knew how much MS are paying for this, because it would have to be a lot to block out PS3, PS4 and PC from the game. that is a lot of lost sales.

Unless its just to got H2H with Uncharted which i think Uncharted will sell 3-4 times more in Holiday 2015. and then RotTR doesnt get pushed into the bargain bin on PS4. but Public opinion has crushed both CD and MS today. its even over shadowed the PS4 selling 10M consoles.

We're still on these weird Bloodborne analogies?

If you want something analogous to Bloodborne, then I'd direct to Sunset Overdrive.

No Man's Sky you're talking about a tiny independent team with limited resources focusing on one SKU first before moving onto other SKUs. And a first party publisher aiding in that development/funding towards being the priority.

It's also not really rescuing a project from oblivion or development hell a la Bayonetta, or apparently Titanfall, as far as we know.

This is the equivalent of if, for instance, if a first party paid to delay the release of an in-development game like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare for a competitor platform.

EDIT: And I'm not really speaking towards any pro- or anti- stance, this is just explanation of why situations aren't analogous.

HORRORSHØW

If you want something analogous to Bloodborne, then I'd direct to Sunset Overdrive.

No Man's Sky you're talking about a tiny independent team with limited resources focusing on one SKU first before moving onto other SKUs. And a first party publisher aiding in that development/funding towards being the priority.

It's also not really rescuing a project from oblivion or development hell a la Bayonetta, or apparently Titanfall, as far as we know.

This is the equivalent of if, for instance, if a first party paid to delay the release of an in-development game like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare for a competitor platform.

it's simple, really.

alas.

Jesus people read his comment correctly: I guarantee Tomb Raider would sell more going head-to-head against Uncharted (when released in 2015)... than it will coming out on PS4 a year later (in 2016).

his point still stands

uc4, with the much larger install base, will outsell rotr on x1

book it

Matriox

Seeing as an exclusive is a game "denied to other platforms," what you're essentially saying here is it's okay for Sony to invest in exclusives, but not Microsoft.

Yea, but Sony would never do that.

There is a fundimental difference between someone from Mars.corp giving money to Earth.corp to create their Mars water to sell to Mars inhabitants rather than a scenario where Earth.corp that wants to sell water to every planet and Venus.corp decides to buy that water to only sell water to Venus.

or something

pnoozi

Banned
Is it me, or are the vast majority of those exclusive PS4 games Sony made games? Not exactly the same thing.

I welcome a sensible explanation as to why in-house development of exclusives (a tactic Sony has used liberally over the last couple generations) is wonderful, but subcontracting (the way Microsoft sometimes prefers to do it, for whatever reason) is literally the Holocaust.

I understand yanking a sequel away from PS4 at the last minute is a bit of a dick move, but seeing as none of us appear to be even slightly tempted to buy an Xbox One to play this game... there has to be more to it than that.

Mrdrboi

Banned
Square Enix would be very stupid not to also release it on PC and PS4. PS4 would have 20 Million Playerbase for Holiday 2015 if sales double in a years time. Thats alot just on PS4 you cannot ignore.

Chobel

I welcome a sensible explanation as to why in-house development of exclusives (a tactic Sony has used liberally over the last couple generations) is wonderful, but subcontracting (the way Microsoft sometimes prefers to do it, for whatever reason) is literally the Holocaust.

I understand yanking a sequel away from PS4 at the last minute is a bit of a dick move, but seeing as none of us appear to be even slightly tempted to buy an Xbox One to play this game... there has to be more to it than that.

WTF are you talking about?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Grimløck;125138435 said:
yeah, seriously.

have some balls to have some transparency.

How about people go after the company making the game if you want that information? I would bet they're a lot more forthcoming about when they're going to put out the game for those platforms. Just a hunch.

This is not a thread about subcontracting. Are you sure you are at the right place?

Tomb Raider is not a system seller to most people, what else is there to it?

I'm assuming the amount of money Microsoft paid Square Enix for this will offset the insane sales projections they have for the game.

Bad decisions everywhere.

EDIT: And I'm not really speaking towards any pro- or anti- stance, this is just explanation of why situations aren't analogous.

Yes, thank you.

It's bribery to not release a game, not help in building a game.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC

Well allrighty then. You had me worried there CD. Phew ...!

This is hilarious. The nerve! I don't mind waiting for the game, I don't even mind that much if I don't get to play it, even though I did like the first game. What I do mind is the blatant disrespect exhibited in this quote. Do they think we're idiots? Walking away from the fans is exactly what they're doing here, and they're doing it for a fat paycheck. Why not just admit that?

EDIT: Unless it's actually a (very) vague hint that the game will be released for other platforms as well.

IFOVPor.jpg

6HCJB5a.jpg

5EKVFCl.jpg

DazSGv3.jpg

Really odd decision to make this TR totally exclusive for the One, but I guess MS paid a high sum to do so, I wonder how long this exclusivity will last though.

HORRORSHØW

How about people go after the company making the game if you want that information? I would bet they're a lot more forthcoming about when they're going to put out the game for those platforms. Just a hunch.

you can ease your little passive aggressive attitude. how about you grow up? reporters should ask all parties involved for statements to corroborate the story.

Chobel

Well allrighty then. You had me worried there CD. Phew ...!

This is hilarious. The nerve! I don't mind waiting for the game, I don't even mind that much if I don't get to play it, even though I did like the first game. What I do mind is the blatant disrespect exhibited in this quote. Do they think we're idiots? Walking away from the fans is exactly what they're doing here, and they're doing it for a fat paycheck. Why not just admit that?

EDIT: Unless it's actually a (very) vague hint that the game will be released for other platforms as well.

Continue reading
Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.

danthefan

Really odd decision to make this TR totally exclusive for the One, but I guess MS paid a high sum to do so, I wonder how long this exclusivity will last though.

It must have been a huge sum to give up all the PS and PC sales.

If this is a timed exclusive would there be anything to stop Sony announcing the fact?

holy shit, please stop

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm assuming the amount of money Microsoft paid Square Enix for this will offset the insane sales projections they have for the game.

Bad decisions everywhere.

Why I see it as a good decision by SE. It is protection from the real possibility of the game getting low sales on the largest next gen platform. The biggest game of the genre will launch on the PS4 at the same time. It be like if a 3rd party made a racing simulator and tried to release it the same time as the next GT. Just asking for disaster.

Superflat

They are long lists of games that show that Sony has invested heavily in exclusives over the last 2 console generations.

The majority of those games seem like they are either: games made by first-party Sony studios, or Japanese developers who just didn't bother to port them because Xbox is hardly a presence there.

It must have been a huge sum to give up all the PS and PC sales.

If this is a timed exclusive would there be anything to stop Sony announcing the fact?

No but there's likely something in the contracts that would make it so Crystal Dynamics can't announce or say anything regarding other platforms until a certain date.

See you in a Steam sale sometime in 2016 next Tomb Raider. Shame.

FranXico

This is not subcontracting. This is blocking release on other platforms, converting a game that had been intended by a third party publisher as a multiplatform game from day one (and pretty much previously announced as such) into an exclusive.

Superflat

This makes me appreciate the term "console-first" much more now. At least there's no question about whether it's fucking timed or not.

What a PR fail this is.

I think that's a fair and pretty accurate assessment. Naughty Dog has seemingly been on the rise over the last few years, and the sales numbers for their games show it. Meanwhile, the days of Halo selling 8-10 million are long gone in my opinion, and Halo 4 only hurt the franchise. 343i need to go out of their way to prove that they can make great Halo games on the level on Bungie.

We'll see though.

Long gone as in a little over a year ago?

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Continue reading

I know, I saw that. But if you look at the first sentence it could be interpreted as a hint that they won't abandon their fans, they will just have to wait.

But it doesn't really matter. I'm sure the game will come out for other platforms as well. At least PC. I can wait. Even if it doesn't come out on other platforms it won't matter, I won't be bullied by Microsoft into buying a second console.

(I wasn't really going to buy the Xbox One anyway, having decided that PC, Wii U and PS4 + handhelds will let me play pretty much every game anyway. This one game won't change my mind, in fact I'm less likely to buy the console now.)

Top Bottom