• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robin Wright to join Blade Runner sequel cast

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
From Variety

robin-wright2.jpg

Robin Wright is close to a deal to star in the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, which will also bring back Harrison Ford and add Ryan Gosling, Variety reported.

The story, written by Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green and based on a story by Fancher and Ridley Scott, continues several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original — which was set in a dystopian 2019 Los Angeles. It is unknown whom Wright will be playing and also unknown if she will be playing a human or replicant.

Principal photography on the sequel is scheduled to begin in July, with cinematographer Roger Deakins reuniting with Villeneuve on the project.

The studio had been after Wright for some time, but her complicated “House of Cards” schedule made it appear unlikely that she would be available. Sources indicate Alcon was able to work out schedule issues, and a deal is expected to close.

Fuck yeah. Robin Wright is amazing. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Wright is just one out of three major female roles. Meaning we're missing two other casting news. But so far, I'd say we're doing pretty good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
She has to be playing a replicant. She just has to be.

She seems to be taking off again after House of Cards.

Didnt care for this idea but the director and writers have me super hyped now. Fuck this will look so good.

Bowdz

IMO, the cast sounds amazing thus far and Wright is a brilliant actor, BUT, I have such a hard time imagining anything being said or done in the sequel that would even come close to the original. Bladerunner is my favorite film and it is the one film over any other that doesn't need a sequel.

Acorn

IMO, the cast sounds amazing thus far and Wright is a brilliant actor, BUT, I have such a hard time imagining anything being said or done in the sequel that would even come close to the original. Bladerunner is my favorite film and it is the one film over any other that doesn't need a sequel.
I'm going into it with no expectations. If it sucks fuck it we still got the original.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Made this joke in the other thread but here's another attempt...

BLADE RUNNER 2: ELECTRIC BOOGA-EWE!

She seems to be taking off again after House of Cards.

Didnt care for this idea but the director and writers have me super hyped now. Fuck this will look so good.

That's the thing with a Roger Deakins Blade Runner 2. Regardless of how other aspects of the film turn out, it's going to look so good... man, it's going to look so good it will physically hurt you.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
She just has that replicant look going on.

And it's the dumbest thing ever.

I agree. I've watched every cut of this film, some many times over, and the notion Deckard is a replicant hugely diminishes the dramatic force of the story. He's a detective who's lost his humanity and ultimately finds it by meeting something that's inhuman, but desires badly to live. That's the whole point of the story. If Deckard is just a replicant all along, wtf is the point? Why should we care about his journey?

Harrison Ford has always said he hated the notion he was a replicant. He didn't act the film out as if he was...so even though Scott has ret-conned the message from being at least ambiguous to being outright that Deckard is a replicant (more as the years have passed), it's not something that was overt when the film was shooting. Scott has made it so through his Director's Cut revisions and clearly this sequel will make it even more abundantly clear...and it's unfortunate IMO.

Workprint cut remains the best cut.

He's still probably not a replicant in that one.

It's one of those things that makes me so irrationally angry I can't articulate why. I will always personally feel like it undercuts the theme of the movie and takes away what makes Roy Batty so special. Batty was a replicant who felt more for life than the human hero protagonist. I'll never accept this dumb retcon. The oragami unicorn was there for him to doubt, not a gotcha moment.

I agree. I've watched every cut of this film, some many times over, and the notion Deckard is a replicant hugely diminishes the dramatic force of the story. He's a detective who's lost his humanity and ultimately finds it by meeting something that's inhuman, but desires badly to live. That's the whole point of the story. If Deckard is just a replicant all along, wtf is the point? Why should we care about his journey?

Harrison Ford has always said he hated the notion he was a replicant. He didn't act the film out as if he was...so even though Scott has ret-conned the message from being at least ambiguous to being outright that Deckard is a replicant (more as the years have passed), it's not something that was overt when the film was shooting. Scott has made it so through his Director's Cut revisions and clearly this sequel will make it even more abundantly clear...and it's unfortunate IMO.

tumblr_inline_n6ngg3PFX51szj4b9.gif

Empty

ryan gosling in drive and robin wright in house of cards are both perfect performances for the blade runner universe. so cold and emotionally detached, almost unsettlingly so.

this actually...its really.....promising. omg.

fr0st

Banned
I trust in deakins and villenueve.

After sicario and prisoners I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Are we finally going to get confirmation that this and Alien are in the same cinematic universe.

I will be closely watching for the 'Weyland Yutani' neon signs.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nah, Scott has been dead set on making that as clear and unambiguous as possible since 1993.

He's a robot man.

I refuse to believe. I grew up watching the original movie and at no time was that even a possibility in my mind. I believe that even Harrison Ford was on the side of human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom