• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I never got into Rock Band because I didn't like the guitar peripheral, as I didn't find it to be as responsive as the one that came with Guitar Hero. With that said, I played the hell out of Guitar Hero 3, but I think I burned myself out on this type of game for good. I don't find it as appealing as I used to. Anyone else feel the same way?

maouvin

If old instruments end up not working I hope madcatz releases a new bass guitar. Dual strum bars (and the extra lenght) was awesome.

ElNino

on PS360, were the wireless instruments platform neutral? Eg if you had a PS3 guitar could you pair it with the 360 wireless receiver dongle?

If so you'd be able to just buy the PS3 dongle to move your 360 instruments across to PS4.
No, the 360 instruments connected directly to the console... no dongle required. Did the PS3 use a dongle?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Very glad to hear this news, as I have been out of this scene since 2009 and I'm excited to get back in.

Terrible news for me about the fact that you can't transfer DLC from 360 to PS4, though it is to be expected. I have to look at the numbers when this comes out... it might be cheaper for me to just buy an Xbox One rather than pay to re-buy the songs I want to transfer over.

on PS360, were the wireless instruments platform neutral? Eg if you had a PS3 guitar could you pair it with the 360 wireless receiver dongle?

If so you'd be able to just buy the PS3 dongle to move your 360 instruments across to PS4.

No dongle on 360, MS let the Guitar controllers be wireless using the same stuff the 360 controllers did.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I never got into Rock Band because I didn't like the guitar peripheral, as I didn't find it to be as responsive as the one that came with Guitar Hero. With that said, I played the hell out of Guitar Hero 3, but I think I burned myself out on this type of game for good. I don't find it as appealing as I used to. Anyone else feel the same way?
Fun is always appealing. Rock Band in all its iterations was (and still is occasionally) the most multiplayer fun I've had in my life.

nkarafo

get with the times grandpa! :D

I just hope i can export atleast most of the songs from RB1,2,3,Beatles PS3 discs to the new PS4 game.
For this gen i only own a PC. Also if i had a current gen console it would be a PS4. But all my collection is on 360. So even if i had a PS4 i would still prefer a 360 version.

IcyStorm

Nope.

prag16

Banned
Man. Really thought this was one that would have a decent shot at a Wii U version (at least compared to almost all other 3rd party games). Sucks for people with sizable Wii DLC libraries.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

I'll gladly come back for this, if not the very least I will come back purely for the drums. I put so many hours into the drums portion of Rock Band 1/2/3, the only reason I stopped though is because my drum kit eventually busted and I never bothered to get it repaired or buy a replacement.

But yeah, give me a sturdier drum set and I will totally return for more Rock Band goodness. Don't really care about the whole band setup, just give me that drum setup.

ElNino

I might have been a bit burnt out on the RB franchise at one point... but no, I'm dying to get back into it. Also, now that my boys are older I think I will be able to get them to play with me as well.

LCfiner

Holy shit. yes. both song content and peripherals carry over. fantastic. glad i didn't ditch my beatles rock band gear when i moved.

edit: holy shit, no. I was 360 last gen for Rock Band. I have a PS4 now... crap. I think I'm hosed on both fronts :(

Yaari

I think I'll go exclusively guitar this time. I hardly used the entire kit. Sure I liked drumming but I can do without it. I only played solo anyway.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i bought over $500 of rockband DLC songs on a USA acc, also imported the game cause it was alot cheaper to do so back then

im praying i can use my usa account on ps4 and get all my songs back and play them on my normal account, but think they somehow will try block me from doing so since im European.

JMizzlin

Day 1! Will finally get the pro drums and looking forward to new guitars.

Would be really cool if my Hofner Bass from the Beatles Rock Band ends up working, too.

100% back on board for the guitar.

Does "All your old stuff imports across" also apply to The Beatles stuff?

I doubt it because I'm pretty sure part of the contracting for Beatles Rock Band was that only the Beatles digital avatars can perform their songs.

Put me in the "Won't Be Buying RB4 Unless X360 DLC Transfers to the PS4" column. As someone else posted earlier... it would be cheaper for me to buy an XBO than to rebuy all of my DLC songs at this point. I can't go from 1000s of songs down to 60 no matter what leap in graphics/gameplay the new version offers.

I'd buy all new instruments in a heartbeat, but I could never rebuy all my old songs. And Rock Band is one of the only reasons I still own my X360. That, and Minecraft. And SSX. And Game Room. And Mass Effect.

EDIT: I'd be more than willing to pay a small fee to have my songs transfer. Hear that, HMX/MS/Sony? Hint, hint.

That was their way of saying "Please dont ask us for this cus why would Sony and MS allow this?" Why would Sony and MS willing give you a reason to switch consoles? I just don't see it happening, like, ever. I hope you dont sit it out though, maybe set up a RB fund, put in a dollar a day and save up till you have enough to afford a RB machine lol

haha that's not a bad idea. Although money isn't so much my issue as is where I am at work/life wise at the moment it wouldn't be the best investment. But if that changes, and the line up is good, I could see myself setting up that fund.

That's a thought, I need to look into that. Thanks for the advice!

mike4001_

And here is my worry, I got all my rockband stuff for my 360 and now I have a PS4. I would understand if the peripherals don't work, (and thank you based anyone who could make that happen), but if all my DLC AND my instruments can't go to my PS4 then I'll have to sadly sit this one out.

I undestand you, but this is simply not going to happen.

Why should MS invest one cent to let people play their content on a PS4 (And vice versa for Sony)

ultron87

The DLC carry over might just be the tipping point for me on an Xbox One. I was already close with Halo 5 but man, so many fond Rock Band memories.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

Yes!!! I will gladly return for this, if not return for the Drum set alone. I put an insane amount of hours into the drumming portion of RB 1/2/3. The only reason I stopped is because my drum set busted on me and I never bothered to get it repaired or replaced...but yeah, let me invest in a sturdier drum set and I will gladly return to Rock Band 4.

TaKeRx

So this obviosuly means Rockband 3 songs carry over as well correct?

I hope for Beatles RockBand as well, but highly doubt it.

V_Ben

Banned
LUDICROUSLY EXCITED.

now, remaster beatles rock band for current gen too. Fuck it, do it download only. I just want those songs.

TheExodu5

Banned
Absolutely perfect approach. Supporting old dlc + peripherals. Good on them.

I might actually get a new set of peripherals, though. Would be nice to not need dongles for the PS4. I'm very excited for this since the PS3 had so much input lag that it made Rock Band a less enjoyable experience than on the 360. PS4 should be good in that regard.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I might have been a bit burnt out on the RB franchise at one point... but no, I'm dying to get back into it. Also, that my boys are older I think I will be able to get them to play with me as well.

I'm sure I'd feel that way if I had kids. It's a perfect thing to play with them.

MattyG

Banned
I dropped off the music game bandwagon after Guitar Hero World Tour, but that's a good thing because it's been so long that I need this now. So in for this day 1.

I undestand you, but this is simply not going to happen.

Why should MS invest one cent to let people play their content on a PS4 (And vice versa for Sony)

Is it their content? I don't know the legalese behind DLC, but if the content was the same between both platforms, what makes it "their" content? I know there has never been a precedent before about DLC sharing between platforms, but I just realized I don't understand why. (Other than the obvious marketing reasons)

BigDug13

And now I regret buying Rock Band on the 360.

Me too. I own hundreds of songs. And nearly a thousand of the free custom songs available on the CCC website. Looks like I'm sticking with the old. This is one game where I wish for crossgen version of this new game so the songs can be on my 360 version.

repeater

Really happy about the announcement. Only bad thing is I've got all my instruments, Rock Band discs and DLC on the 360, while currently owning only a PS4 among current-gen systems..

If I can track down unused disc copies of Rock Band 1, 2 and Lego for the PS3, are the disc transfer codes still eligible for registration on my PSN account? (I own a PS3)

Put me in the "Won't Be Buying RB4 Unless X360 DLC Transfers to the PS4" column. As someone else posted earlier... it would be cheaper for me to buy an XBO than to rebuy all of my DLC songs at this point. I can't go from 1000s of songs down to 60 no matter what leap in graphics/gameplay the new version offers.

I'd buy all new instruments in a heartbeat, but I could never rebuy all my old songs. And Rock Band is one of the only reasons I still own my X360. That, and Minecraft. And SSX. And Game Room. And Mass Effect.

What if they offered some sort of subscription? Like, pay 10$ and have the whole existing catalog available for the next 24 hours.

espher

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh no if it's coming out this year I need to bust my balls to get RB:HP finished.

But still

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hodgy100

Is it their content? I don't know the legalese behind DLC, but if the content was the same between both platforms, what makes it "their" content? I know there has never been a precedent before about DLC sharing between platforms, but I just realized I don't understand why. (Other than the obvious marketing reasons)

do you expect your 360 games to work on a PS4 too?

<Sigh> I'd still rather have a new Parappa or Gitaroo-Man. I never really connected with this or Guitar Hero partly because there wasn't much story or whimsicalness to the characters. That and they took themselves too seriously.

Don't misinterpret me; I enjoyed Guitar Hero romps with the pals and fam when it was hot, but they never struck a creative chord with me the way a game like UmJammer does.

yCMwVpu.gif

Today, a miracle has occurred.

GOD FUCKING YES! This is practically the ideal scenario I wanted. Legacy controller support and DLC carry over (practically since legacy DLC won't carry over cross platform). Can't wait to see what new stuff they're doing.

mike4001_

I meant in form of manpower - they must find some kind of method to transfer the song licenses from the X1/PS4 to the PS4/X1.

And this manpower costs money.

Furthermore you purchased the song on a specific system and paid royalties to the "song-producer" ... there are other aspects at hand.

Pepin

Is there a link somewhere that confirms this? Harmonix hasn't published anything at retail before that I know of, and it'd be pretty big news if they're becoming a publisher all of a sudden.

Here's what I can post - full interview here.

games™ - Harmoix has been self-publishing for a little while – are you going to continue with that for Rock band 4, or are you going into the generation via Microsoft and Sony?

Harmonix - We’re looking at a co-publishing relationship with Mad Catz, actually; their skillset really offsets ours in a great way. We’ve got a lot of experience working with the brand – with MTV and going back before then to Sony in the [PS2] days. We worked with a lot of publishers over the years, and we’ve always been really hands-on. Our ability to market the game, to talk about the game, to demo the game… we’re confident with //all// of that.

So Mad Catz has an international distribution arm that handles and ships all their products – therefore, our relationship with them is very compatible. They have a lot to offer as a co-publisher and partner.

Top Bottom