• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

kris.

Banned
this could be really good if they fully embraced the sci-fi aspects.

it's still gonna be brown and black and sad and boring

Welfare

This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships (think No Man's Sky), and not just around Earth.

And a central hub area that's a form of living space station. Think the Battlestar Galactica loading bay. Being a mostly campaign guy, I'm pretty excited for this one.

So did they just completely drop Ghosts then?

Besides that, I might have to jump into this.

aravuus

This is nothing like Ghosts. We're talking combat in spaceships (think No Man's Sky), and not just around Earth.

And a central hub area that's a form of living space station. Think the Battlestar Galactica loading bay. Being a mostly campaign guy, I'm pretty excited for this one.

Well, not gonna deny it, the campaign is probably gonna be much more interesting than the earlier games'

But I'm not a campaign guy, so meh

dcx4610

Black Ops was the last straw for me. I don't want lasers, rocket packs, jump boots, etc. I want a hyper realistic war simulator. Leave the sci-fi to other series.

Call of Duty was hugely influential in making video games acceptable for adults to play. They need to get back to what made them great. As long as they continue with the sci-fi stuff, I'm done.

This sounds pretty badass. I am definitely interested in seeing/hearing more about this.

I'm really curious about the actual movement, settings don't but me a great deal. Any information if this will be more boost/thrust jumping like the past 2 games? Really hoping for boots on the ground combat again.

Not happy at all with this news. The sole silver lining is that, in going "WAY forward," there's nowhere else for them to go the next time but backwards.

Oh my god, FINALLY.

I'm so tired of this near future crap. Give me lasers and giant robits and space stuff. Not just "It's MW2-3 with Jetpacks".

We don't really have any futuristic shooters. We have Halo but that's a once every 3-4 years thing. Other than that, the market for pure, sci-fi far future space epic shooters is very limited. I'm excited.

Edit: I suppose Destiny is a futuristic setting but, not really, it's more magic in space than it is about the future stuff.

I hope there's an alien race. There is so much potential in a far future space oriented game. Space wars between factions, different branches of humanity could be spread out into very different lifestyle, aesthetic, and militaristic ideals. They could really do some amazing crazy shit.

Hip Hop

now that ive let this settle in a bit I actually think if done right would be pretty cool

Yeah, I mean.

People complaining about the future theme in Call of Duty games when it actually hasn't been done yet. It's been grounded up to this point, with Black Ops 3 and Advanced Warfare.

So I hope they really take it far this time.

I hope there's an alien race. There is so much potential in a far future space oriented game. Space wars between factions, different branches of humanity could be spread out into very different lifestyle, aesthetic, and militaristic ideals. They could really do some amazing crazy shit.

The née Zombies mode could feature aliens and infiltrating an alien base. That would be damn amazing

geordiemp

this could be really good if they fully embraced the sci-fi aspects.

it's still gonna be brown and black and sad and boring

Its a long time since you played COD isnt it ? It would be nice to go back to military looking game rather than the Nintendo rainbow colours we have now.

Black Ops was the last straw for me. I don't want lasers, rocket packs, jump boots, etc. I want a hyper realistic war simulator. Leave the sci-fi to other series.

Call of Duty was hugely influential in making video games acceptable for adults to play. They need to get back to what made them great. As long as they continue with the sci-fi stuff, I'm done.

If you want a hyper realistic war simulator why the heck are you playing Call of Duty instead of an actual realistic war simulator like ArmA?

kris.

Banned
cool pic

the hyperbolic hate for cod is astounding, funny and sad at the same time

i'm not hating on the game at all, i really enjoy blops 3's multiplayer. i'm jsut saying the aesthetics could use a touch-up considering they all look exactly the same with varying advancements of in-game technology depending on the time frame and if they're going for a far-off futuristic angle, it'd be neat if they went full sci-fi and the game was a little more colorful

Kalentan

i'm not hating on the game at all, i really enjoy blops 3's multiplayer. i'm jsut saying the aesthetics could use a touch-up considering they all look exactly the same with varying advancements of in-game technology depending on the time frame and if they're going for a far-off futuristic angle, it'd be neat if they went full sci-fi and the game was a little more colorful

I mean... It's kind of clear you don't play Black Ops 3 MP, cause it has quite a bit of colorful maps.

kris.

Banned
I mean... It's kind of clear you don't play Black Ops 3 MP, cause it has quite a bit of colorful maps.

lol fine blops 3 is more colorful than the others. there are quite a few multiplayer maps that are actually very colorful. that's not the point i'm trying to make. good lord.

Meesh

I'm just gonna toss this out there, I mean I buy all the CoDs but man... what I wouldn't give for them to visit NAM or something at this point.

I was very disappointed in the last 3 COD's.

Did the game just pass me by?

Blops 2 for me was perfection, and the best since 4.

I just feel like the game is so far away from its roots, I don't even know what I am playing anymore.

Judging by the sales numbers, I guess It just outgrew me, and I am in the minority.

I really enjoy the color in these games. I mean what in the fuck do you want? You like your games with the muddled browns, and grays?

CoD shouldn't be seen as a hyper realized shooter that needs brown and black backgrounds to get across the point of war.

It's a solid shooter that, more than people fucking care to notice, has changed. The funniest thing is that people started saying CoD needs to change around Modern Warfare 2.

Now you want to go back. Makes sense.

Duxxy3

I was very disappointed in the last 3 COD's.

Did the game just pass me by?

Blops 2 for me was perfection, and the best since 4.

I just feel like the game is so far away from its roots, I don't even know what I am playing anymore.

Judging by the sales numbers, I guess It just outgrew me, and I am in the minority.

AFAIK, sales have been going down ever since MW3.

CoD in space won't do a thing to reverse that.

I've loved the series since the first CoD. Been with the series through its ups and downs. From PC, to 360, to PS3, to PS4 to XB1. I've followed it everywhere. But a futuristic Call of Duty in space... I think that's well beyond jumping the shark. That may be too much, even for me.

Anarky

Banned

Lolwut. I think you're looking in the wrong place for a realistic war simulator.

Edit: Did not notice this comment was from weeks ago. NVM.

I've loved the series since the first CoD. Been with the series through its ups and downs. From PC, to 360, to PS3, to PS4 to XB1. I've followed it everywhere. But a futuristic Call of Duty in space... I think that's well beyond jumping the shark. That may be too much, even for me.

I just liked how Kill streaks were handled in Blops 1 and 2, and I liked that the perks and such were not so over abundant, that they all cancelled each other out. And the wall jumping flippy stuff sucks to me. I was a huge BF convert to get my MP FPS fix.

It just sucks, because I remember COD 4
Blops 1 and 2, and how much fun I had. I miss that.

viHuGi

Banned

Not true Black Ops 3 already outsold AW and Ghost according to NPD (>10m) and judging by leaderboards on each platform it is already outnumbering the original.

Shauni

rather this than a rehash of ww2/ww1...that shits been done so many times its almost like the default go to theme...yaaawwwnnn...

In fairness, it's been awhile since anyone has done a big scale WWII. I personally have no interest in it myself, and consider it one of the most tired and completely and utterly exhausted time periods of fiction in general, but game-wise, it's been awhile. I don't think there's ever been a real attempt at WWI.

monreader

Neo Member
If COD does the future again, I will be not buying it this year. This may be the first time I never buy a new COD. I am done with the series until they go back to WW2 or when Treyarch make a new one. Advanced Warfare and Ghosts were a disaster and I do not have much faith in Infinity Ward after Ghosts.

Sulik2

Far future sounds fun. Might play it if they make it less violent. I don't really want to be sick to my stomach from gore in a freaking call of duty game.

m4st4

exactly the way i like it.

better than going all goofy cartoony colorful like what is happening to Gears of War

Colors are nice if you know what you're doing and why you're suddenly introducing them to your usually bleak/postapocalyptic future.

Top Bottom