• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] MS to reveal VR headset at E3 2015, Fortaleza still in the development

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

You could spend 2.5 Billion to try to dominate the biggest upcoming entertainment medium by leveraging what might be the most popular game IP among kids in the world though.

In fact, that makes more sense than any other plan for Minecraft I've heard.

and they could be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if they are targeting kids. AFAIK, the effects of VR on developing systems have not been tested.

Kids will not be the initial target audience for this. There will undoubtedly be warnings galore.

QaaQer

its like motion controls all over again, but worse.

It won't be, unless they can tie weight loss and/or family togetherness with it. This will appeal to gamers and people who want to watch movies without being able to talk to those around them or fiddle with their phones. Still, I'm sure it will be highly profitable in the initial rush phase, but not Nintendo circa 2007/8 profitable.

ZehDon

Playing catchup has never been one of Microsoft's strengths. Ignoring the significant hardware disparity, if they're pushing a VR solution at E3 to counter Sony's move, then they're aiming for a Q42015 launch. I'm not sure that's a good move. Pushing the Xbone out the door to beat the PS4 to market caused far more harm than good. I'll wait to see what they have, but I can't imagine it's going to be little more than a weaker "me too" headset.

Playing catchup has never been one of Microsoft's strengths. Ignoring the significant hardware disparity, if they're pushing a VR solution at E3 to counter Sony's move, then they're aiming for a Q42015 launch. I'm not sure that's a good move. Pushing the Xbone out the door to beat the PS4 to market caused far more harm than good. I'll wait to see what they have, but I can't imagine it's going to be little more than a weaker "me too" headset.
How are they playing catch up? Neither have anything out yet?

QaaQer

MS' strength is being able to throw money at things. All they need to do is hoover up some patents & companies, budget 500 million USD in marketing, and they will be at the table.

LogicStep

I want either this or Morpheus out in 2015. Give me some goggles to put on my head. I've been almost buying an Oculus for too long now.

Seriously. The day OR comes out I will have built a new PC ready for the VR experience. I would get a console one as well if it works great.

Majanew

Banned
These VR devices need to be getting worked on and prepared to launch with PS5/Xbox Next; the PS4/XB1 are not powerful enough to deliver the resolution/frame-rate needed for this to be a success.

the race to cash in is going to kill VR before its ready. its like motion controls all over again, but worse. they need to wait for next gen hardware when itll be possible to release a competent product.
I doubt you can kill it with the momentum it has at this stage, but I'm also sceptical about whether the Xbox One or PS4 are powerful enough to deliver a good VR experience. I guess it'll be just 'good enough' to make people understand the potential - it only needs one killer app to make it a success (e.g. Wii Sports for motion control), and then it'll really take off for next-gen when there is more suitable power.

EatMyFace

Banned
These VR devices need to be getting worked on and prepared to launch with PS5/Xbox Next; the PS4/XB1 are not powerful enough to deliver the resolution/frame-rate needed for this to be a success.
We have mobile phones that can do VR. In sure consoles will do just fine.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think I'll ever be interested in VR gaming. Just doesn't seem comfortable.

Edit: I would love to try it out though to see how it is first hand. A racing game (like Forza) would probabaly be really neat.

QaaQer

However, if it is marketed improperly, which it will be, expectations will far outstrip reality and there will be backlash making it a fad.

Not that it will disappear, just that the initial enthusiasm will quickly be spent, and you will be left with a niche-y market afterward.

Majanew

Banned

Those mobile phones can't push the graphical fidelity the PS4/XB1 can. The graphics are just as important since the goal is immersing you in the game world.
Every single game needs to be no lower than 1920x1080 and 60fps. Higher than 60fps would be best. The first VR sets for sale need to get it right.

QaaQer

Those mobile phones can't push the graphical fidelity the PS4/XB1 can. The graphics are just as important since the goal is immersing you in the game world.
Every single game needs to be no lower than 1920x1080 and 60fps. Higher than 60fps would be best. The first VR sets for sale need to get it right.

Good luck with trying to get people to spend a couple thousand on a gaming PC.

I know this is neogaf, but the vast majority of people don't give two shits about so-called immersive gaming. If they did, f2p phone games would not be kicking handheld and home console sales.

This will be sold to the general population on the basis of novelty and wow-factor. People will buy it, use it, find out it doesn't change their lives, and go back to doing what they did before.

There's no way they are mass launching in 2015 without any prior hint of this tech from them. There hasn't even been any inkling of dev kit support.

I don't think I'll ever be interested in VR gaming. Just doesn't seem comfortable.

Edit: I would love to try it out though to see how it is first hand. A racing game (like Forza) would probabaly be really neat.
OR is amazing and I've barely used it. I need it NOW! Not convinced ps4/xb1 have enough power to provide a compelling vr experience. We'll see.

If it's compatible with pc, that would make it an easy choice for me. Hell, I can see them stealing marketshare from Oculus if that were true

bj00rn_

Banned

VR is somewhat uncomfortable (the dev kits right now, where comfort aspects are not considered to be important) - Until you start playing, and then you forget it in an instance (just like when you go ski, or dive: The reward is much bigger than the "investment"/gear). I play for hours every night now (Elite: Dangerous), and I only thing I notice is a slight stiffness in my neck (I'm talking 2-4 hours pr session here..). But weight will rapidly decrease in consumer versions anyway, so this might not be an issue at all.

Not interested in this type of stuff with any system cool for the people who like it though i guess, i just feel like people will use it a few times and it'll gather massive dust after the fad is over.

Judging from 2 public demonstrations I did to ~500 people each, the answer is yes.

It's in the same boat as PS4: it can provide meaningful VR, but not at current "AAA" standards.

Really? I tried the oculus Rift that Audi were showing off for their new car and it was terrible. I expected it to wow me but it was awful

If it's compatible with pc, that would make it an easy choice for me. Hell, I can see them stealing marketshare from Oculus if that were true

Wouldn't be surprised to see it compatible on both. The merging of W10 on XBO and PC seems to infer that MS is looking to push its one ecosystem hard. The supposed streamlining of DX12 games between PC and XBO may make this a little easier.

I'm not that interested in VR, but MS so far is making really good choices and fulfilling Big Bill's goal of having the Xbox brand serve as the computer for the living room. While people complain a lot about the power of the XBO, a lot of MS' development choices around how they are thinking about the OS and the ecosystem have shown a lot of foresight.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Exclusive VR Minecraft will probably be quite huge.

mog1.gif

Durante

and they could be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if they are targeting kids. AFAIK, the effects of VR on developing systems have not been tested.
CoD also "isn't targeting" kids.

Yet, when I had the opportunity to listen to ~500 8-14 year olds discuss games, the two titles I heard most commonly were "Minecraft" and "Call of Duty".

Amir0x

Banned
I doubt VR will be as commercially successful as kinect

LOL

VR is going to change the fucking world and it'll never be the same, Kinect was a hilarious dead end in game design that burned bright for a few quick years and then nobody gave a shit after everyone experienced how awful it was. And is going to be used now as an accessory bitch to get VR doing its thing. It's a servant to VR at this point, that's how worthless Kinect is in the eyes of where VR is going.

LOL

VR is going to change the fucking world and it'll never be the same, Kinect was a hilarious dead end in game design that burned bright for a few quick years and then nobody gave a shit after everyone experienced how awful it was and is going to be used now as an accessory bitch to get VR doing its thing

Nah VR has even more challenges to become successful than kinect did. Number one being you need a kinect type device to make it work.

Durante

VR has challenges, sure.

But it also has matching (and, in fact, far more than that) rewards, unlike most other novelties peddled over the last decade.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
or you are the exception rather than the norm.
Depends on what part he found terrible.
At the office we have a "VR section" labeled with a Barf-area print-out - because that's pretty much what it is for majority that try it.

That said - on the topic of AR glasses(which is what Fortalezza "appears" to be in leaked docs) - they neither need to render the same FOV that headsets need (so less rendering resources required), nor are they nearly as barf-inducing because you're always teethered to real world, even when camera pans out of your control (and yes I'm also speaking from first-hand experience here). Lightweight form factor and "social" aspect just add to the possibility of mainstream penetration (obviously it all leads to full-VR in long-term, but I think this may well be a necessary stepping stone on the road to it).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
At launch it was the most successful device of its kind ever. I just don't see millions of VR devices being sold. It may offer great experiences but I think it will remain in the niche/enthusiast market.

Just googled that.
Holy shit i had no idea, Kinect did so well....where are all the Kinect games....beyond The Gunstringer theres no games i really liked, and those which tacked on Kinect features i never used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom