• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

Speaking of this, Nintendo NERD helped to develop this:

October 2014 - NERD teams up with hardware experts in Japan to deliver
"super-stable 3D" on the New Nintendo 3DS.

The first generation Nintendo 3DS, launched in February 2011
in Japan, was equipped with an autosstereoscopic screen,
allowing a user perfectly centered with the device to view
stereoscopic images without the use of any additional headgear,
thanks to a parallax barrier screen.

The New Nintendo 3DS, launched in October 2014 in Japan,
uses a new "super-stable 3D" screen that redefine the sense
of immersion and comfort offered by 3D displays.

Our team of software engineers created a new technology that
take full advantage of the New Nintendo 3DS system’s dynamic
parallax barrier, by tracking the user's face with the internal
camera and infrared LED to adjust the screen accordingly. To
further improve the user experience and react to faster motion,
it leverages on several technologies including machine
learning, adaptive prediction, sensor fusion, etc. In the end,
it provides 3D viewing with a significantly wider range
compared to the original 3DS.

For this thrilling project, NERD's software team developed a
close cooperation with Japanese colleagues in charge of the
hardware.

http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

That was an outstanding improvement over the original 3DS.

bachikarn

How much would a SCD really help? Wouldn't it be limited by however it makes the connection? I can't imagine plugging it in via USB and getting a big performance boost.

They could also just sell a base model and an elite model where one actually has better graphics. Sure the SCD would theoretically allow the base mode to upgrade to the elite model, but it's generally the same concept. But that fragmentation is typically not a good idea.

Vena

How much would a SCD really help? Wouldn't it be limited by however it makes the connection? I can't imagine plugging it in via USB and getting a big performance boost.

They could also just sell a base model and an elite model where one actually has better graphics. Sure the SCD would theoretically allow the base mode to upgrade to the elite model, but it's generally the same concept. But that fragmentation is typically not a good idea.

It'd need a proprietary high-speed/high-bandwidth connection.

Jackano

So, detective-GAF, are these information-snippets helpful?
Be reassured, detective-GAF has worked on that subject for some time now.

Edit: Indeed, I found out for n3DS 3D and DS VC games for some time now.

Wow. I am several of these things. I wonder what the pay is and if they will hire Americans.
The pay probably is pretty good for Paris and they will definitely hire Americans IMO. Those are pretty old listing, though.

The news I'm willing to share right now is that a few of them has moved to Kyoto since the last few months. Funnily enough, I was referring to that only hours ago here.
Hard to find out some true news from here though. I can only guess from their past experience, and give some more fuel to Emily Rogers Wii U ports rumor here. But I hope they're doing more high-profile work, instead of helping porting internal game engines to NX.

If they follow this path I am going to be very excited for the future of Nintendo again

We share the exact same ideas of what Nintendo is going for with the NX platform. Good stuff.

I think disappointment would likely be kept to a min if we expect this as a base of what the NX would be.

Also, the funny thing with patents is that not all of them need to be used at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these were held on for add-ons or future iterations/updates.

Instro

The rumor on the controller having a screen seems a little hard to believe, unless it's sold separately and the actual console comes with a normal controller. I say that because the gamepad was expensive and kept the WiiU price high, so it seems weird for them to push forward with that idea.

Banned
Eh? Better latency than what?
Remote play is pretty shitty.

This would allow you to get the proprietary Wii U streaming tech that's as good as local streaming.

Hell, the NX could very well be called Nintendo Stream (a rumoured name for Wii U back in the WUST's :p)

The rumor on the controller having a screen seems a little hard to believe, unless it's sold separately and the actual console comes with a normal controller. I say that because the gamepad was expensive and kept the WiiU price high, so it seems weird for them to push forward with that idea.

That was mainly due to the proprietary streaming technology which has since drastically come down in price. A 540p touch screen really isn't very expensive nowadays, although if they go with one of those Sharp freeform displays who the hell knows what it could cost.

Remote play is pretty shitty.

This would allow you to get the proprietary Wii U streaming tech that's as good as local streaming.

Hell, the NX could very well be called Nintendo Stream (a rumoured name for Wii U back in the WUST's :p)

As good as local streaming but across phone networks? eh.. I am a bit out of touch with phone tech. Who pays the bill?

His math does not check out. PS4 was released on November 15th, 2013 in the US and Canada. It released in other territories shortly after. If Nintendo launches NX this November for the holiday season, which many seem to think will be the case, PS4 will have been on the market for 3 years.

13+4 = 17, which is the year he was guessing for the NX launch. You are correct that if it comes out this holiday, it would be 3 years. But that's not what that poster said, so I don't know what it has to do with anything. I also mentioned in my post that you directly quoted.

defferoo

If I were to crack a guess:
First dude can be working on OS features, second dude would likely be working on the OS itself.

The mention of trust zone means that this is likely confirmed as an AMD apu affair, and that said apu may be x86 with the embedded arm cortex a5 chip to enact the trust zone technology mentioned in that listing. That's if this listing corroborates what it says (working on their next generation platform).

The mention of Linux is interesting in the OS sense. The mention of "hypervision" could mean talk of a hypervisor, the same way xbone compartmentalizes its OS/security layer on top of that hypervisor. The mention of iOS/android could certainly also gel with the fact that Nintendo has expanded their software horizons into mobile and that somehow plays with whatever vision they have with their console as well.

Or it could all mean nothing.
actually trustzone is an ARM feature http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/trustzone/ that is used to run a secure OS next to a traditional OS. it does this at a hardware level to prevent software bugs from compromising the security. not an AMD specific thing at all. all that along with the talk about linux makes me wonder if they're basing it on a real OS (Linux kernel?) this time around.

Banned
I want The Wonderful 101: United Edition for NX :(

Too many people missed out on that game and it got little marketing.

Silly Confetti Distributor.

Fun for everyone!

Eh? I remember most people responding to the artist rumor with, "What would they know?"

It'll be interesting to see who's right in the end, anyways.

Anti-hype rumors:
-Liam Robertson: NX isn't looking to compete with PS4 in terms of power
-Sonic artist dudes: Not feeling optimistic for whatever reason
-Thomas Mahler: Heard it was handheld only and much less powerful than Xbone/PS4

Hype rumors:
-WSJ: "Industry Leading Chips"
-IndieGamerChick: NX technically more powerful than PS4, great dev tools
-LCGeek: CPU more powerful than Xbone (which has a better CPU than PS4)
-10k: NX overall more powerful than PS4
Unseen64's rumor was one of the first that we got and it was always super vague.
He also stated this in July of last year when SDKs weren't going out till October, much less dev kits with close to finalized hardware.
Would probably be best to keep expectations low either way, but that rumor always bugged me with how many issues it had.
On the other rumors:
Don't think a Sonic artist would be privy to this knowledge either, unless he was talking to some people at Sonic team.
Pretty sure the last guy is wrong based on all we've heard. Though maybe some sources only know about one system and all the rumors are true.
The handheld is likely japanese focused so the specs leaking out early wouldn't be as common as EA, Ubisoft, or Activision having dev kits.
It wouldn't be competing with the PS4 but it wouldn't be weak (like Liam said). 10k said he hasn't heard anything about the handheld which is why those rumors have higher specs.

I want The Wonderful 101: United Edition for NX :(

Too many people missed out on that game and it got little marketing.
Yes, please.
Would love a Wonder Blue game that Kamiya wanted to make or a sequel.
A sequel with the improvements of Bayo1->Bayo2 would be pretty damn amazing

georly

bachikarn

Personally, I do not like the idea of SCDs and hope they aren't used.

yeah, it doesn't really seem that great of an idea to me.

It might be useful if we really go the iterative console route so people who bought an NX won't need to upgrade to the NX2 two years later and can instead buy a cheaper device to upgrade their NX. But even then, I kind of question if the tech is out there to work the way people think it does.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
72a8h8h.gif

really quick and lazy gif work from me. only two more months until Nintendo E3 Direct or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that we might find out more things about NX before E3 but I'm pretty sure that we are looking forward to see what they have up in their sleeves for games-wise! :D

Nintendo could just use glorified personal hotspots or mobile usb sticks to get better latency.

Rogers, a Canadian cable and ISP company has been offering there for awhile.

http://www.rogers.com/business/on/en/smallbusiness/shop/internet/mobileinternet/hub/
http://www.rogers.com/business/on/e...ternet/mobileinternet/sticks/?asc_refid=stick

We're nowhere near technology for this to work PERFECTLY to Nintendo's liking.Or anybody liking. Yall thinking of too many peripherals, extra curricular devices and shit lol. no offense

thelastword

Banned
Nintendo needs a powerful console this gen, if they don't deliver I think they're done. Nintendo has been on the back burner in terms of third parties for far too long and they really need good specs to compete with the big 2 as far as visuals go for first party efforts. I applaud their focus on 60fps, but imagine if Zelda, Mario, FZero, (Eternal Darkness, RE4 (type games)) were mind blowing from a technical perspective like they were on the game cube coupled with a 60fps output, that would be something, wouldn't it?

Ramblings of the NX being underpowered and being a handheld does not bode well however.....

Instro

That was mainly due to the proprietary streaming technology which has since drastically come down in price. A 540p touch screen really isn't very expensive nowadays, although if they go with one of those Sharp freeform displays who the hell knows what it could cost.

We can confirm that? Just curious as obviously Nintendo never stopped the WiiU price, so it's a little hard to tell.

Nintendo needs a powerful console this gen, if they don't deliver I think they're done. Nintendo has been on the back burner in terms of third parties for far too long and they really need good specs to compete with the big 2 as far as visuals go for first party efforts. I applaud their focus on 60fps, but imagine if Zelda, Mario, FZero, (Eternal Darkness, RE4 (type games)) were mind blowing from a technical perspective like they were on the game cube coupled with a 60fps output, that would be something, wouldn't it?

Ramblings of the NX being underpowered and being a handheld does not bode well however.....
Good job posting in a thread without even reading the OP or title.

Banned

It's more powerful than PS4. Don't worry about underpowered.

diaspora

The FUD you mean?

jmizzal

So, just to recap because I don't know if I understand everything:

- A SCD is basically a seperated box that can be plugged into the home console

- The SCD has it's own CPU/RAM/GPU and helps to boost the power of the system

- It can also connect to the cloud and use further power and interact in other useful ways (save data, etc.)?

- You can plug in several SCDs into the system?

That would be amazing

This guy did not even read the title lol!

thelastword

Banned
Did you read the OP?

Good job posting in a thread without even reading the OP or title.
I read the OP, but nothing is concrete from what I'm reading. I was also referring to the recent posts which suggests a bit different from the tier 4 ramblings. Nothing is concrete guys the info in the OP may very well be different from when the official specs are confirmed.

It's more powerful than PS4. Don't worry about underpowered.
Ok, fair enough, I guess we can wait to see how this pans out. I'm just of the opinion that we need less gimmicks from Nintendo and some more technical showcases from their franchises. We need a new Zelda, a new Metroid and some new franchise that can blow eyesockets off.

diaspora

I read the OP, but nothing is concrete from what I'm reading. I was also referring to the recent posts which suggests a bit different from the tier 4 ramblings. Nothing is concrete guys the info in the OP may very well be different from when the official specs are confirmed.

Ok, fair enough, I guess we can wait to see how this pans out. I'm just of the opinion that we need less gimmicks from Nintendo and some more technical showcases from their franchises. We need a new Zelda, a new Metroid and some new franchise that can blow eyesockets off.

There's nothing that suggests that it's weaker than other current systems other than people who haven't read the OP =\

Instro

People need to relax with the dogpiling. I'm not even sure that comment from Mahler was even serious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom