• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Strange enough, we got some leaks about Smash for 3DS and Wii U so I guess Namco-Bandai is pretty bad with secrets.

Yeah, source must be within bandai namco or an affiliate. Serkan toto was the first to break the smash nx rumor, and he's based in japan, is he not?

Eradicate

Skittzo0413, since you're in the patent business, can I get your thoughts on:

Information processing terminal, non-transitory storage medium encoded with computer readable information processing program, information processing terminal system, and information processing method

I'm only really familiar with looking through a few companies' patents. But, this one just keeps sticking out to me. What's getting to me is that the patent seems to describe/cover some pretty random things. Most patents seem to be pretty singularly focused from Nintendo, but this one discusses 3D, the pointing stick on the 3DS, a separate tablet device, a game application involving head tracking, IR, paying with a card, etc. It is just all over the place. Does such a thing imply that these things are related, or just that the patent is trying to cover a bunch of things and nothing more? I'm just particularly interested in these descriptions of a separate device that has mostly the same functions (no buttons or anything), possible 3D, could maybe be a part of the game system (I know they show the 3DS, but this can just be representative), and so on. It is just such an odd patent that it'd be great to hear an opinion on it!

The rumor on the controller having a screen seems a little hard to believe, unless it's sold separately and the actual console comes with a normal controller. I say that because the gamepad was expensive and kept the WiiU price high, so it seems weird for them to push forward with that idea.

Yeah, I mean, touchscreens have gotten cheaper and all, but I just have a feeling they might not really want to try to do a home version of the DS again. It doesn't translate as well when the screens are so far apart (in my opinion!). I think they may have a screen, but I just think it may be smaller, or they are going for one (two?) small ones related to areas around the buttons. Plus, why release "remasters" of Wii U games for the NX? It seems some functionality is missing that needs adjusting to translate to the NX, and to me, it just seems like that big ol' screen.

72a8h8h.gif

Incredible! Bring on E3/Direct/Whatever!

LOL!

What? 20nm game console?
88751f14b6899905c4cf484203a83c3d.png

Nm. Probably xbox 1.5 or ps4k.

Being dumb, but isn't there a 16nm process? Might split the difference? There may not be anything in that that is console-worthy though.

(Plus, great hunting around Doctre81!)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yes, by the numbers perhaps it's better but can we really are much of a difference? Nope.

This is a false notion in computational power that needs to go. Peak/theoretical has nothing to do with actual numbers or how a dev chooses to use them or if it can be utilized.

PLenty of games this gen and last gen have shown you can have the best hardware but a shitty engine will make it perform like ass same for api with crappy overhead.

Roo

I wonder if NST is doing some of the ports since they did so much of the VC/digital stuff. They rarely lead new games these days.

Also, does anyone remember NERD? They built development tools right? Hopefully they are contributing heavily to the rumored easy to work with SDKs
I'm probably wrong but I remember reading NERD was fully focused on Nintendo's cloud technology.

Information processing terminal, non-transitory storage medium encoded with computer readable information processing program, information processing terminal system, and information processing method

I'm only really familiar with looking through a few companies' patents. But, this one just keeps sticking out to me. What's getting to me is that the patent seems to describe/cover some pretty random things. Most patents seem to be pretty singularly focused from Nintendo, but this one discusses 3D, the pointing stick on the 3DS, a separate tablet device, a game application involving head tracking, IR, paying with a card, etc. It is just all over the place. Does such a thing imply that these things are related, or just that the patent is trying to cover a bunch of things and nothing more? I'm just particularly interested in these descriptions of a separate device that has mostly the same functions (no buttons or anything), possible 3D, could maybe be a part of the game system (I know they show the 3DS, but this can just be representative), and so on. It is just such an odd patent that it'd be great to hear an opinion on it!

I haven't looked over this application in detail, but I can certainly give you my thoughts!

So, the way patent applications work, is you have a written description (called the Specification), the bulk of which is called the Detailed Description. This is where you find the in depth discussion of how the invention works, what it can do, what's the best way to reproduce it, how to use it, etc.

Then you have the legally crucial element- the Claims. The Claims are what the inventor is saying should belong to them for the term of the patent (20 years from filing in the US). So, when someone is sued for infringing a patent, they are accused of infringing on the description of the invention that's shown in the Claims.

A lot of big companies (Nintendo included I'm guessing) will file a patent which a huge Specification that covers a large number of different Embodiments (or forms that the invention can take). In these cases the inventor can file several different Applications which each share a large portion of the same Specification, but have completely different Claims.

For Application 14/805,736 specifically, which is the App no. for the case you linked, the Claims seem to be drawn to a camera on a handheld gaming device which can sense the user's position in order to display different types of information on the screen. Figures 17A and 17B show a situation where the screen displays a pyramid shaped object, and if the user moves their head to one side, then the image on the screen will turn as if the pyramid was physically coming out of the screen. So, in essence, a more interactive 3D, or I suppose a simulated hologram.

But that's just one of the many features discussed in the Specification for this Application. There will likely be other Applications filed in the future (if not already) that have more or less the same Specification and same figures, but the Claims are drawn to completely different features, like the LAN or NFC features shown in some of the figures.

Hope that helps!

maxcriden

That's fair enough.

Although, if you were that person. The leak ground zero leaker. Wouldn't you tease the tastiest morsels you could?

Perhaps the lack of new exisiting IP titles speaks for itself.

They may just not know of them. It's possible the ground zero leaker knows of ports but not of new NCL projects. I wouldn't sweat the lack of info regarding new existing/brand new IP titles. We can logically say many of them, like Mario, MK, SSB, et al. are in some stage of development. Likely DK, Metroid, M&L, and/or Fire Emblem and others as well. New IPs shouldn't be a concern. Nintendo has had tons of them, big and small from BOXBOY! to Splatoon, in recent years.

This is interressstttinggg. I can't see the pictures unfortunately, are they showing up for you?
It is mostly a continuation of a 2014 patent for new 3DS features, says that one is included in full, but the stereoscopic tablet 200 is presumably new!

maxcriden

Obviously a company is not going to base their console launch on ports.

You're right.

Nintendo,
whose first system launch included 17 launch titles: 10-Yard Fight, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Golf, Gyromite, Hogan’s Alley, Ice Climber, Kung Fu, Pinball, Soccer, Stack-Up, Tennis, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew, and Super Mario Bros, many of which are ports,
would never
certainly Mario Advance was an anomaly
do anything
I mean let's exclude the premiere launch game of Super Mario 64 DS
Ah and I suppose Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D shouldn't count either
that.

:p Tongue firmly in cheek, of course, mon ami.

This is interressstttinggg. I can't see the pictures unfortunately, are they showing up for you?
It is mostly a continuation of a 2014 patent for new 3DS features, says that one is included in full, but the stereoscopic tablet 200 is presumably new!

The pictures aren't showing up on the WIPO page or on google patents, but you can try my link from the Public PAIR website:

http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/view/BrowsePdfServlet?objectId=ICF1ISP6PXXIFW3&lang=DINO

If that doesn't work, go to Public PAIR at the USPTO and type in the Application number 14/805736 and go to Image File Wrapper, then click on drawings. That's how I found my link.

Eradicate

TSMC has 16FF. GloFo adopted Samsung's 14FF.

Ah, thank you!

Just searching, is the primary thing that NVIDIA is going with 16nm and AMD with 14nm? And this is why 14nm is primarily being considered?

And speaking of rumors, has anyone been keeping tabs on those game developers who said they were working on games for the NX? That one thread mentioned there were like 3-4 developers claiming to be working on titles.

I haven't looked over this application in detail, but I can certainly give you my thoughts!

So, the way patent applications work, is you have a written description (called the Specification), the bulk of which is called the Detailed Description. This is where you find the in depth discussion of how the invention works, what it can do, what's the best way to reproduce it, how to use it, etc.

Then you have the legally crucial element- the Claims. The Claims are what the inventor is saying should belong to them for the term of the patent (20 years from filing in the US). So, when someone is sued for infringing a patent, they are accused of infringing on the description of the invention that's shown in the Claims.

A lot of big companies (Nintendo included I'm guessing) will file a patent which a huge Specification that covers a large number of different Embodiments (or forms that the invention can take). In these cases the inventor can file several different Applications which each share a large portion of the same Specification, but have completely different Claims.

For Application 14/805,736 specifically, which is the App no. for the case you linked, the Claims seem to be drawn to a camera on a handheld gaming device which can sense the user's position in order to display different types of information on the screen. Figures 17A and 17B show a situation where the screen displays a pyramid shaped object, and if the user moves their head to one side, then the image on the screen will turn as if the pyramid was physically coming out of the screen. So, in essence, a more interactive 3D, or I suppose a simulated hologram.

But that's just one of the many features discussed in the Specification for this Application. There will likely be other Applications filed in the future (if not already) that have more or less the same Specification and same figures, but the Claims are drawn to completely different features, like the LAN or NFC features shown in some of the figures.

Hope that helps!

Very awesome and detailed description! I just hadn't come across such a strange patent from them before. So, basically, patents just kind of "build up" on top of each other over time by making new applications with new claims in them? (Again, I'm ignorant!) Usually they have been so focused, but it's more likely I just haven't come across one like this before is all! I guess it does make sense then that they would/could go about it this way!

Can you view the images on this site instead, under Drawings on the left? I hope this works for you! I have no idea if it's anything new because it looked like a somewhat older application, though it's just kind of getting published recently I guess? Again, it's a very strange patent! But, this one, along with a couple other QOL ones, are pushing me into tablet interaction territory!

(Or, Skittzo0413 provided a link too that might work better! The one above is huge and probably won't, haha!)

Thought a 20nm chip was in development for Xbox One.

There were rumors of 20nm slim versions of PS4/Xbone. Ultimately, 20nm proved unsuitable for larger high-power chips such as console SoCs.

I still think that NX might have started off as a 20nm part itself. If finFET becomes a reality in this console, it could be largely a result of foundries' hasty abandonment of 20nm.

thread going full WUST

No way its going to be 14nm and coming out this year,

I'm getting sucked into the hype again. Bring me back to harsh reality!

Eradicate

The pictures aren't showing up on the WIPO page or on google patents, but you can try my link from the Public PAIR website:

http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/view/BrowsePdfServlet?objectId=ICF1ISP6PXXIFW3&lang=DINO

If that doesn't work, go to Public PAIR at the USPTO and type in the Application number 14/805736 and go to Image File Wrapper, then click on drawings. That's how I found my link.

Hate to reply so close, but yeah, much better than the WIPO site, haha! I just feel I can search better with WIPO, plus being able to use international characters is a big plus! Biggest problem is linking to it is a bear.

You're right.

Nintendo,
whose first system launch included 17 launch titles: 10-Yard Fight, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, Golf, Gyromite, Hogan’s Alley, Ice Climber, Kung Fu, Pinball, Soccer, Stack-Up, Tennis, Wild Gunman, Wrecking Crew, and Super Mario Bros, many of which are ports,
would never
do anything
Ah and I suppose Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D shouldn't count either
that.

Daaaaaang!

I'm getting sucked into the hype again. Bring me back to harsh reality!

Reality is for the birds!

Schnozberry

There were rumors of 20nm slim versions of PS4/Xbone. Ultimately, 20nm proved unsuitable for larger high-power chips such as console SoCs.

I still think that NX might have started off as a 20nm part itself. If finFET becomes a reality in this console, it could be largely a result of foundries' hasty abandonment of 20nm.

I know someone who works for AMD here in Austin and gave me the rundown of what it was like at the office when they announced they were taking all those penalties for abandoning 20nm. It was a bloodbath.

Vena

I know someone who works for AMD here in Austin and gave me the rundown of what it was like at the office when they announced they were taking all those penalties for abandoning 20nm. It was a bloodbath.

I'd laugh if Nintendo ended up at 14nm by sheer accident.

Very awesome and detailed description! I just hadn't come across such a strange patent from them before. So, basically, patents just kind of "build up" on top of each other over time by making new applications with new claims in them? (Again, I'm ignorant!) Usually they have been so focused, but it's more likely I just haven't come across one like this before is all! I guess it does make sense then that they would/could go about it this way!

Thanks!

Patents don't always "build up" on top of each other. Typically there can be groups called "Patent Families" which all have a common or similar Specification, where the inventor is targeting a different set of Claims for each one. But not every Patent is part of this kind of family.

There are other cases where the Patents or Applications aren't explicitly related to each other in a "Family" but you can tell that they both came from the same Specification write-up. It's pretty much a way for inventors and Patent Attorneys to save time when they file multiple cases.

Banned
More like AMD pushed Nintendo to go with 14nm Polaris.

If it's not 14 nm whatever that means, you're a complete fraud to me and I will throw up every time I see you post and make a voodoo doll of you.
14nm isn't confirmed. But it would be pretty dumb of them to go 28nm considering what feature set the gpu is rumored to have.

ReyVGM

You're right.

Nintendo,
would never
do anything
that.

I said base their launch on ports. That other dude was acting as if those ports were all we were going to get.

The GBA launched with original games. Twilight Princess came to Wii first, so for all intents and purposes, the port was the GC version. Plus it had original games too.
OoT3d was not a launch title.

I can only imagine! That cost them alot of money.

It would be a happy accident, seeing that 20nm provided die area savings but no real power draw reduction. If these murmers of x86 prove true, it might make sense from the angle that AMD were working on shrinking down the Jaguar/Puma uArch anyway, and were in the position to offer Nintendo a deal. I'd doubt PS4k could switch to Zen and pull off 100% compatibility, but we'll see I suppose.

Banned
What would the main hangup of Nintendo using a 14nm chip? Amount available?
Yeah. Might not be enough yield for a holiday 2016 launch. AMD could have offered Nintendo a sweet deal to reduce low yield risk for Nintendo. I'm looking into it. It's Friday, I'm in a good mood, I'll try to make another post about what I've learned since my last verified post. It'll be rumors of course and nothing huge or confirmed.

I take everything you say as confirmation, especially if it's on your Twitter.
Oh god my Twitter is nothing but memes, trash, sexual innuendo, and jokes. Some video game stuff too. Lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah. Might not be enough yield for a holiday 2016 launch. AMD could have offered Nintendo a sweet deal to reduce low yield risk for Nintendo. I'm looking into it. It's Friday, I'm in a good mood, I'll try to make another post about what I've learned since my last verified post. It'll be rumors of course and nothing huge or confirmed.

Oh god my Twitter is nothing but memes, trash, sexual innuendo, and jokes. Some video game stuff too. Lol.

You sir are a true gentleman/woman. Thank you.

Haha.
Well, thanx (wo?)man!!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got to stop reading this thread. My expectations are getting too high and I'm bound to be let down.

ReyVGM

It was designed /held back for GCN to allure Core gamers to the Wii. It was a port to the Wii w/ enhancements.

Yes, I know, but it wasn't released as a port, it was released as a Wii game first. It's not a game that came later or a leftover from another console.

And we're getting off-track here. My post was for that guy that was acting as if those 4 ports was all we're going to get for launch.

Schnozberry

Penalties? Could you elaborate?

They had ordered 20nm chips and then backed out of the orders long after a lot of equipment had been ordered at their foundries and R&D had taken place. It cost them something like $35 million dollars and they were forced to layoff a significant number of employees. I think it was 7% of their overall workforce if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom