• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

slade

To qualify for the third console curse, you need to have dominated the market first, which the 360 has not done. Also, qualifying for the third console curse means that your fourth console is a failure so get ready to embrace your new MS overlords.

DaBoss

24 million Kinect sold. It sold 5 million Kinect since May 2012.

Source: Gamespot

Sold well, but how often is it used by the people who bought it? I received mine as a gift and just today got a free Child of Eden code from a fellow Gaffer and now I need to actually figure out which box it has been in this past 13 months.

I don't know, but I do think the concept is more attractive to casuals due to the fact a controller itself is not needed.

DarkFlow

Banned
Sold well, but how often is it used by the people who bought it? I received mine as a gift and just today got a free Child of Eden code from a fellow Gaffer and now I need to actually figure out which box it has been in this past 13 months.
I use my kinect for voice control, that's about it. I don't really own any games for it. It's basically a glorified remote to me,

Is Sony in the financial position to take much of a loss on the PS4? Doesn't seem like it to me, so I'm not sure they can undercut the Xbox much if at all.

But I don't know if that even matters. If everyone agrees their hardware is "more powerful", then they can match the new Xbox or even exceed it in price a little bit, without people balking. Not by a ton mind you, but for example if the Durango is $399 and it's accepted fact the PS4 is better hardware, they could do $450 and not look crazy.

J-Rzez

Apparently, creating polarizing products that no one wants is the new thing at Microsoft - Windows 8, Windows Phone, Surface RT and Pro. I wonder how the 720 will fair. Do you see the pattern?

Wonder how much more it'll take to get ballmer out of there. Their recent track record doesn't give much faith in their products.

I'm still thinking that subscription model especially is going to get you bombarded to hell with annoying and intrusive ads.

so its may be TRUE and expensive to boot?

I wonder what will happen if Nintendo turns out to be the moat pro consumers next gen....

Hmm depending on the price , ps4 or wiiu for me err?

I think smt x fireemblem will push me over......

Wait there is two threads on this? Think I posted on the wrong one ... Edit time....

Yawnier

Banned
super cheap 360 is interesting to me, depends on it's size, hdd, noise and heat but I can see myself buying one.

Same here, I never owned a 360 but I would buy a new one at $99 or $129 to go through a handful of the JRPGs that MS moneyhatted early on in the generation.

I'm of the opinion that for a while Kinect sold well and consequently sold the system. It had a huge marketing push, it seemed novel, it had quite a few games focused on it and it brought over some of the Wii audience. For a while, the 360 sold because Kinect sold.

However, I think that was only initially. Now I'd say Kinect essentially sells because the system itself continues to sell well and it's bundled with it more often than not. It's not really a novelty now. I don't think there's any major software for it anymore? It's no longer driving sales. It's just... there.

7Th

Is Sony in the financial position to take much of a loss on the PS4? Doesn't seem like it to me, so I'm not sure they can undercut the Xbox much if at all.

But I don't know if that even matters. If everyone agrees their hardware is "more powerful", then they can match the new Xbox or even exceed it in price a little bit, without people balking. Not by a ton mind you, but for example if the Durango is $399 and it's accepted fact the PS4 is better hardware, they could do $450 and not look crazy.

Didn't they say that they were going 400 TOPS?

McHuj

24 million Kinect sold. It sold 5 million Kinect since May 2012.

Source: Gamespot

No one is denying that it hasn't sold well. The question should be: do the people who bought one, have a desire to buy a new version of it? To those who haven't bought one, will a new version be enough to convince them that they want it now?

IMO, the answer to both is likely no.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
so its TRUE and expensive to boot?

I wonder what will happen if Nintendo turns out to be the moat pro consumers next gen....

How is the PS4 not the most pro-consumer console (out of MS and Sony) going into next gen from what we know?

Wait there is two threads on this? Think I posted on the wrong one ... Edit time....
Why choose one when you can have both?

DaBoss

No one is denying that it hasn't sold well. The question should be: do the people who bought one, have a desire to buy a new version of it? To those who haven't bought one, will a new version be enough to convince them that they want it now?

I absolutely agree with you.

I was responding to grimshawish who said Kinect stopped selling a year after release:
The idea was a seller, the tech was broken. The idea behind the next Xbox appears to be Kinect 2.0 and Always Online.
Kinect stopped selling a year after release. 1.0 is dead.

eso76

Or maybe the console has (considerably) better specs than what has leaked so far.

I don't know. The idea still upsets me and I think Microsoft is losing a significant amount of users.
But I don't really mind always on (as long as xbox3 doesn't have issues connecting to my WiFi like my 360: it keeps disconnecting).
I mean, I doubt anyone with cable/DSL ever disconnects the xbox360, why would they.
And I think I've only bought one used game this gen, anyway.
If this means lower prices and deals on games, it's probably a win win situation for me, for someone with my videogame purchasing and fruition habits.

Semi related, I just bought a windows phone 8 (deal on a Nokia 620 i paid less than 100 €).
It's an amazing little device, and Microsoft infrastructure is truly impressive, which I never realised before.
The way everything painlessly syncs with your Microsoft account, Xbox live, music, MSN, sky drive, calendar, Skype, Facebook etc between your phone, desktop PC, tablet, console is remarkable.
And scary.
I can see Microsoft intending to go even further with this, but while fascinating and not without its advantages, this virtual identity, virtual ownership is going too far, too soon.

Quixz

Having supported Microsoft for the last two gens its not looking good. I sold my PS2 and GameCube and decided to go Xbox exclusively for my console needs.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
we do not know the price yet.
look at vita storage card price, ps4 may be expensive on some way.

I guess it is relative. I look at the $350 price tag of the WiiU and baulk. A $450 price tag on the PS4 would make perfect sense to me though.

It will be a sad state of affairs if the Wii U ends up the most "pro-consumer" by default. There's all sorts of shit about it that's annoying as hell - I know, I have one.

Same here, I never owned a 360 but I would buy a new one at $99 or $129 to go through a handful of the JRPGs that MS moneyhatted early on in the generation.

If real I hope that it uses the current 360 slim HDD method of a black box you slide into the back, i'd buy one and stick my 250gb in it and do a data rights transfer, would be lovely.

I personally can see myself playing my 360 for quite a while yet, I have unplayed games especially on xbla, stuff I have been unable to get into over the last 6 or so months as I have been too busy.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I hope the $500 rumor is true because likely outcomes:
1. It's medium-high end hardware. Comparable with PS4 but faster. I expect Microsoft to price competitively because they rake in Billions in profit and they know Sony is one blunder away from them owning the living room. With both consoles medium end or better, we'll see interesting lowest common denominator graphics that ports to PCs pretty well.
2. MS is completely arrogant and fails. With just Sony doing well, developers will design game engines that utilize 8 GB GDDR5. PC GPUs will start shipping with it and interesting game design will scale beautifully.

RavenH2

Maybe everybody is right.

From universetoday:

How Many Continents Are There?
The current tectonic plates.
Not everyone on this planet is in agreement as with regards to the total number of continents. So how many continents are there then, according to the disagreeing parties?

Well, in Russia, Eastern Europe and Japan, the people there consider the continents of Europe and Asia as one, known as Eurasia. In other places in the world, North and South America are combined as one American continent while separating Europe and Asia instead. Thus, according to these two views, there should only be 6 continents.

There are even geographical views that prefer the presence of both a Eurasian as well as one American continent. These geographers therefore contend that there should only be 5 continents.

And if you thought that would be the lowest number, think again. There are others still who are more comfortable with a 4-continent view.

Where I come from there are five continents:

America
Asia
Africa
Australia
Europe

So you all ar smart people.

The number of continents changes from different theories, and I accept that... HOWEVER, I cannot understand how SPE still tells me a "pro tip" about reading a book or something, when he clearly states that SOUTH AFRICA is a part of EUROPE...

So I choose not to answer anymore...

ON TOPIC:

From a Business perspective, is BC a good thing or a bad thing?

From a Hard/Soft perspective?

I just can't get my head around as to why MS won't do it... (According to rumors and speculation)

ON TOPIC:

I just can't get my head around as to why MS won't do it...

My gut tells me BC is good for new hardware adoption rate early in a console's life: you get over the resistance of people feeling like they have to choose between their old library of games and a new console with hardly any games on it yet, it's a good marketing bullet, and you keep making money off all these other, extant titles. But it's probably bad taking a long view, because you've potentially hobbled, held yourself back and/or made compromises with your hardware's design to ensure compatibility.

One thing that really needs to be edited in the OP is the notion that because of the "Stingray" 360, it means Paul thinks Durango will have no BC.

Except that is not what he said, he only listed it as a possibility and he really had no idea at all about the BC situation beyond what the public knows.

More realistic is that Durango does have BC, digital and disc or one or the other, and 360 gets a big price cut for the non-enthusiast/late adopter/casual crowd who won't be getting a Durango anywhere near the first years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

When there's a full new console involved and it's no longer a peripheral in every box, things change. They're not buying a peripheral anymore, and the package they're buying has a new and different sales pitch from the one they've likely gotten at any point in the 360's lifespan. And that pitch is an ecosystem that consolidates everything they do, similar to iTunes but in more, broader markets alongside NUI and the ability to run multiple games/apps at once.

Who knows how it'll turn out, but personally, having FB/Twitter/ESPN/CNN/etc. updates pin-able and easily accessible while your gaming/streaming/doing whatever is huge, not to mention MS will throw money at any exclusive, gaming related or not. The Windows 8 base allows them to do so much. Suddenly, stuff like the sharing charm make much more sense in the context of Durango.

Bsigg12

Having supported Microsoft for the last two gens its not looking good. I sold my PS2 and GameCube and decided to go Xbox exclusively for my console needs.

You'll be fine. Don't buy too much into the doom and gloom every time a Durango thread pops up. People will boost the PS4 like they did the Vita and that has done great since it launched (sarcasm). Sony has a potentially great system on their hands but there's other factors withheld still which will ultimately spark more controversy here.

Soriku

PS4 + Wii U combo.

Dysun

That sweet spot will provide them with equally disappointing sales ala Surface

PC + PS4 + 3DS clear winner here

I like my 360 and love own both HD consoles, but if all of this turns out to be true I'm done with MS next gen. I need MS to announce.this shit asap so I can stop the madness this silence is causing me.

There's no way Sony hits $300. $400 minimum with those specs.

I agree. All I'm saying is that as they have put this thing together that the goal was between $300 and $400. I never said that $300 was a consideration or reasonable for what they ended up building. I just mean that they were tasked with making a machine that ended up being between $300 and $400. And who knows, with those specs they may have failed...

We do know that the jump to 8gb was last second. From what Ive heard that forced the camera out of the box and is making it a day one peripheral. But even still, Im guessing that it puts the machine right at $400 if not a bit over it.

And you can expect pretty much the same from microsoft. A kinect 2 isn't going to be cheap and I bet their HDs are even larger for what they want to do with being a DVR-like box.

Anywho, my initial point was that the 'rumors' this guy is talking about is the same thing that third party are leaking to sony. So it may or may not end up being true but this guy seemingly got the info from a source and isn't pulling it out of his ass. Or if he is that's a huge coincidence.

The short version is that Microsoft is trying to make a Wii-like move with Durango. They are hoping the nifty stuff with Kinect 2.0 in every box will get them major media coverage. For example a UI that can run off the camera, or the ability to control movies and such without a remote. All the coverage you mentioned is website stuff, combined I doubt it all has more than a million views.
5HzWkFY.jpg
And that's just one site.

CLEEK

I just can't get my head around as to why MS won't do it... (According to rumors and speculation)

To the casual observer, BC seems like it should be massively important to both Sony and MS, for two reasons.

1) In the modern age, when people buy into a digital ecosystem, they expect their purchase to work when refreshing hardware.

2) Not being comparable with legacy software means you block an entire revenue stream (360/PS3 games) from consumers with the latter devices. Imagine if when you bought a new iDevices, and the only songs you could buy from iTunes were ones that were released after the hardware you just bought. You couldn't buy any of the back catalogue, because its not compatible.

Neither MS or Sony are stupid. They would have crunched the numbers, and from a felt the potential benefits from incorporating BC were outweighed by the negatives.

So what are the negatives for inclusing BC? For the platform holder, there is a cost to include it. Either the new hardware would have to be a supercharged version of the old one (as per the WiiU, using an updated GC/Wii CPU), which limits your options/performance.

The other option is to design the new console however you want, with whatever components (e.g the PS4 eschewing the Cell and nVidia and going all AMD). Then adding in the hardware of the previous console as a separate component. This will increase cost to make. If they are targeting a specific selling point, they would have to reduce the cost of the main console (e.g. reducing its performance).

So as a consumer, a console with BC does have potential consequences. You can have an lower performance console like the WiiU, with a design hampered by full BC, or at the other end, you have a powerful console with zero BC like the PS4.

Minions

Has there been a single positive rumor regarding the next Xbox?

It has a Blu-ray drive.... I guess that's a positive? Even if it won't play used games, and requires mandatory installs rather than playing from discs.

I completely expect if the XBOX comes in at $300 + 2 year live, that the PS4 will come in at $350~ + 2 years PS+.

Basically makes the consoles pay as you go and still reaches the 500~ with a little extra as "interest".

MaulerX

That sweet spot will provide them with equally disappointing sales ala Surface

Apples to Oranges. These are two completely different markets and Microsoft did not want to undercut and piss off their partners more than they already had. Microsoft created the Surface as a poster child for their OEM partners to follow. They don't have such restrictions with the Xbox.

KAL2006

Banned

I don't understand why do you have to go exclusive with a company, every gen is a new slate and you go with whichever is the best. Especially after rumours of Durango not having backwards compatibility like PS4. Basically its a good time to choose between which one you prefer and not simply migrate from 360 to Durango or PS3 to PS4.

CLEEK

PS4 + Wii U combo.

Blatantly.

PS4 + Wii U + Vita + 3DS is looking to be my gaming future.

With a handful of iOS games here and there, and a next Xbox once the games library finally warrants putting up with all the anti-consumer, anti-gamer bullshit.

RavenH2

My gut tells me BC is good for new hardware adoption rate early in a console's life: you get over the resistance of people feeling like they have to choose between their old library of games and a new console with hardly any games on it yet, it's a good marketing bullet, and you keep making money off all these other, extant titles. But it's probably bad taking a long view, because you've potentially hobbled, held yourself back and/or made compromises with your hardware's design to ensure compatibility.

Other than the problem with the drive (DVD), couldn`t the games run on an official emulator or something without compromising the hardware?

Besides didn't MS stop supporting the original Xbox as soon as the new one launched? Why would it be different this time? Because of the streaming TV and apps?

Dysun

Apples to Oranges. These are two completely different markets and Microsoft did not want to undercut and piss off their partners more than they already had. Microsoft created the Surface as a poster child for their OEM partners to follow. They don't have such restrictions with the Xbox.

I didn't mean to compare them, just my opinion based on what we've heard so far

Wynnebeck

Banned
The short version is that Microsoft is trying to make a Wii-like move with Durango. They are hoping the nifty stuff with Kinect 2.0 in every box will get them major media coverage. For example a UI that can run off the camera, or the ability to control movies and such without a remote. All the coverage you mentioned is website stuff, combined I doubt it all has more than a million views. If Microsoft catches major media attention with their whole augmented reality no controller required stuff they can end up on all the major nightly news, morning news, and afternoon talk programs. That could net them exposure and mind share that is basically unheard of. It is that sort of coverage that drove Wii sales, and that is basically what Microsoft wants. They don't want the normal paltry launch year numbers, they want to be the next iPad.

Do you think people are going to willfully ignore the fact that Durango might have to be always connected to the internet to work? No. MS can try to skate around that fact all they want but now that we have mainstream media picking up steam on this story, MS needs to defuse this fast before it gets out of hand.

PS4 + Wii U + Vita + 3DS is looking to be my gaming future.

Hear hear.

Top Bottom