• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS4 dropping price to 199 tomorrow to counter Switch launch in some EU stores

Yeah I saw that yesterday, it's CHF 280 here with Horizon

That's ~EUR 263 / ~$277

capturebrl7f.png

Ertai

Not sure what the deal is and it feels rushed as hell here in The Netherlands at least. Yesterday the advertisement went live with retailers not able to stock it up so the amount of stock is very, VERY limited and is pretty much sold out everywhere. A lot of scalpers bought them and at this point it's basically free money for them.

There's already a lot of people complaining about no stock. It's nice that you do a great discount but make sure you plan this ahead to make sure the right people are actually benefitting from it because right now there's a lot of people unhappy with it.

Nerazar

It's good that Sony gets some competition. More competition will push everyone to their limits. Maybe Nintendo will offer some kind of ambassador program. ;)

I'm happy with my Switch so far and as long as Sony doesn't offer me a good way to play my PS4 games on the go, I'll pass. I had a Vita, but it got dropped pretty hard and with PSNow stripped from it, the device became a mere door-stopper with close to no interactivity with the PS4.

So I'll stick with Nintendo on this one.

Ombala

1999:- sek vs 3690 sek for a switch thats almost half the price for a stronger console with a much better library.

ryanofcall

Media Markt Germany:

That says (until) today only though.
Also in europe the prices don't work like in the US. You can get a Switch between $350 and $450 here depending on how much the retailer wants
So my guess is: They want to sell some ps4's to people who didn't get a Switch (and are therefore bummed out) before they were out of stock.

aravuus

Surprised to see Finland being part of this deal, usually we never get discounts this good. Basically half the price of Switch over here.

That is surprising.

Wonder if it'd be cheaper to buy the 200e PS4, grab one of the games I already own and go trade those in for a Switch in Gamestop than it'd be if I just bought the console lol.

I think Horizon will be sent to die. Zelda is a bigger franchise and Sony knows that, maybe a reason they're willing to take a hit on a console so people buy Horizon too

Just another case of Sony being reactive to Nintendo that people will just handwave as something they were going to do anyways.

As a matter of fact, I feel a little bad for Horizon now.

It looks more like a desperate move from Sony. People who wants to buy a Switch aka play the best game of all time are not going to buy a PS4 instead.

I see these three posters have been too embarrassed to rear their heads again in this thread lmao

ryanofcall

That is surprising.

Wonder if it'd be cheaper to buy the 200e PS4, grab one of the games I already own and go trade those in for a Switch in Gamestop than it'd be if I just bought the console lol.

Something like that actually happened before a few years ago in Switzerland. A guy then bought all of the ipad stock of that retailer and resold them to a different retailer (or I think he even worked for a different retailer) The original retailer then set up a new rule that you can only buy one per person. The person who did that was fired iirc. It was quite funny though imo.

ffvorax

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

That's a smart move, many will just come by and see Switch and PS4 at the same price and that can make that difference to casual gamers.

Also I have 2 friends that will buy it just for the price drop.

Smart marketing I say.

(here in italy they also give you 1 game with it in the promotion often)

Nerazar

It's called no mercy, just go full steam ahead and not giving the Switch a chance.

Also for 199... I would buy the PS4 again.

The Switch will have enough chances, I suppose that the first batches are sold-out either way. But yeah, Sony will market aggressively against MS and Nintendo.

VeeP

What would a 1 day price drop accomplish when the majority of day 1 Switch sales are from preorders?

It's basically like EA launching Battlefield near Call of Duty. People have to choose. And if someone wants a Switch, and it's sold out and they see PS4 for a cheaper price, they might just grab that instead.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sony must be SHOOK

Horizon will be overshadowed by Zelda x switch tbh
At least for me, I'll pick up that game later this month x next month must likely

And Horizon will still be full price then so Sony doesn't care.

Haunted

I'd buy a (white) PS4Pro for 199, no questions asked.

What's "Schnapp" even supposed to mean? Sounds stupid.
Why not using "Schnäppchen"?
It's such a big "deal" that it's a Schnapp, not just a Schnäppchen.

... yeah, I fucking hate what marketing does with language sometimes, too.

Dunkley

Great play by Sony, would buy one if I wasn't planning on moving soon.

Here's hoping they do the same for the Scorpio launch. I really want a PS4 for Nioh, Let It Die and Bloodborne.

iswasdoes

Dunno if this has already been pointed out, but this will be led by the retailers, not Sony. The stock they will be selling will have been sold to them by Sony ages ago.

As for why; they might be trying to capitalise on extra traffic because of the switch launch, or the horizon launch, or a stock surplus in a certain warehouse (this seems to be confined to a particular region)

Who knows. But its not Sony bigwigs in leather clad chairs, swilling scotch and picking up a red telephone and saying "Initiate project "Switch Off" before chuckling manically.

eerik9000

Dunno if this has already been pointed out, but this will be led by the retailers, not Sony. The stock they will be selling will have been sold to them by Sony ages ago.

As for why; they might be trying to capitalise on extra traffic because of the switch launch, or the horizon launch, or a stock surplus in a certain warehouse (this seems to be confined to a particular region)

Who knows. But its not Sony bigwigs in leather clad chairs, swilling scotch and picking up a red telephone and saying "Initiate project "Switch Off" before chuckling manically.

I find it very unlikely that so many different retailers across different countries are doing the same thing without any involvement from Sony.

iswasdoes

I find it very unlikely that so many different retailers across different countries are doing the same thing without any involvement from Sony.

Its more unlikely that if this was sony corporate it would isolated to one region (and a smaller region within that, its not happening in UK to my knowledge, which is a massive market for them) and not promoted by them with their own advertising, but instead the retailers.

Big retailers share supply chains etc so its not uncommon for them to have price parity

But enjoy your conspiracy theory ;)

Behlel

Its more unlikely that if this was sony corporate it would isolated to one region (and a smaller region within that, its not happening in UK to my knowledge, which is a massive market for them) and not promoted by them with their own advertising, but instead the retailers.

Big retailers share supply chains etc so its not uncommon for them to have price parity

But enjoy your conspiracy theory ;)
In italy sony itself promoted the initiative on their Facebook page. There isn't any conspiracy it's a fact.

Top Bottom